Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Dyno: crawford plenum vs motordyne spacer

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 02:04 AM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good luck with that...the marriage and the not-buying-mods thing. the mods avoidance will be harder.
Old 05-15-2005, 03:19 AM
BlueDragonZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah thanks.
It will definately be difficult.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:05 AM
mikz350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

positive, yellow are only 35th ann edition and sorry i dont beleive the 15whp but that my opinion
mike
Originally Posted by Z BOY
i don't believe the yellow 05 was the 35th anniv edition.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:38 AM
DIE DIE

ry, don't you think if the crawfrd plenum was superior to the spacer, it would have still come out ahead or at least had the same numbers as the spacer did after a rest period? Or to put it another way, if the spacer was inferior to the plenum, wouldn't it have performed more poorly than it did, even with the rest period?
no- the way I feel is that if sheldon could gain 15whp from cooling, you probably could have gained close to that too.. so if you cooled down and dynoed again with the same setup (crawford plenum) you probably would have have gained more than 5whp..

honestly F the dyno.. we'll go do some freeway pulls one night with the spacer and the plenum, and that will tell you which one is making more power
Old 05-15-2005, 11:39 AM
DIE DIE

Originally Posted by mikz350
positive, yellow are only 35th ann edition and sorry i dont beleive the 15whp but that my opinion
mike
no dude ur wrong And he did gain that much power..matt and I witnessed the whole thing in person...
Old 05-15-2005, 11:45 AM
Z BOY

right. there are plenty of yellow base, enthusiast models out there.
i have a file with all the dynos. he indeed gained 15hp, but it was after a 4-hr rest.
i waited 1:45 btwn pulls, so i really believe its a wash btwn the plenum and spacer.
Old 05-15-2005, 12:19 PM
DIE DIE

he indeed gained 15hp, but it was after a 4-hr rest.
i waited 1:45 btwn pulls, so i really believe its a wash btwn the plenum and spacer.
Yeah I guess that is alot of cooling time.. we'll just have to do some 2nd and 3rd gear highway pulls and we'll figure out which one is better with your current setup
Old 05-15-2005, 12:21 PM
DIE DIE

pretty much, i'd say. i sold the crawfrd i had and got the 1/2" motrdyn, and i'm well pleased and saved some $.

now I see why ur defending the spacer so much for our freeway pullz to test them out Oh well.. we'll still do some
Old 05-15-2005, 03:10 PM
copba1t

and crawford claims they originally designed a spacer, and it didn't make any gains...i'm callin bs.
Hehe, that's what I was sayin the minute they came out with their "$29 Crawford Spacer" mock thread, because it was obvious to me, not by any dynos or testing, but just by how (immaturely) they handled the situation and how much lack of details and inconsistencies there were in their postings. They have been exposed for what they are

Glad you were able to find a good solution that works well for you.
Old 05-15-2005, 04:44 PM
slowxturtle

it's a war between the crawford plenum people vs the plenum spacer group. Bring your guns and your Z's. jk
Old 05-15-2005, 05:24 PM
lowrider

"Hehe, that's what I was sayin the minute they came out with their "$29 Crawford Spacer" mock thread, because it was obvious to me, not by any dynos or testing, but just by how (immaturely) they handled the situation and how much lack of details and inconsistencies there were in their postings. They have been exposed for what they are"

I've stayed out of this thread, because I really had nothing to add to it. If those spacers are workin' for you guys - GREAT. I luv it

However, please stop with the shots at Crawford. Doug is probably the straightest shooter we have as a sponsor here. Most of our sponsor's are great - Stillen is a glaring exception, but that's another story.

Crawford is the premiere 350Z enthusiast. They wont sell it unless it works. They test everything they sell, and everything they sell works.
They spend an immense amount of time in R&D. They were the first one's to report that the new lower plenum didn't produce power on the non-Track engines.

Now, I can't comment on the spacer. I do have a V4 Crawford, and I know it produces power for me. I never dynoed it. But, Crawford has. Yep, I'm a Crawford guy, and I take offense to those who besmirch their name. They arrived on the arena first, and IMHO, are still be best, and they do not, repeat, do not lie.

When I first bought my V2 plenum, Doug and I talked about spacers. That was 2 years ago. He told me he had fabricated one, and it did nothing to fix the equalization problem. I believed him them, and by george, I believe him now,

Lou
Attached Thumbnails Dyno: crawford plenum vs motordyne spacer-plenum-04.jpg  
Old 05-15-2005, 06:19 PM
jkoc

my experience with spacer design was garbage. i had so many leaking issues. i used a torque wrench and torqued everything to spec. kept leaking. finally when it stopped leaking, only a few days later, it just started leaking again. so i scrapped it and went with crawford. absolutely no leaks so far since day one.

for longevity and robustness sake, my vote is for crawford's full solution, rather than the spacer hack, regardless of whether or not it may produce a few hp's less.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:59 PM
NourZ

Originally Posted by jkoc
my experience with spacer design was garbage. i had so many leaking issues. i used a torque wrench and torqued everything to spec. kept leaking. finally when it stopped leaking, only a few days later, it just started leaking again. so i scrapped it and went with crawford. absolutely no leaks so far since day one.

for longevity and robustness sake, my vote is for crawford's full solution, rather than the spacer hack, regardless of whether or not it may produce a few hp's less.
You had the AAM spacer, didn't ya? this thread is about the Motordyne spacer, try to specify because things like that leads to rumors.
http://www.g35.ca/board/index.php?showtopic=3399
Old 05-15-2005, 08:05 PM
jkoc

Originally Posted by nourarnaout
You had the AAM spacer, didn't ya? this thread is about the Motordyne spacer, try to specify because things like that leads to rumors.
http://www.g35.ca/board/index.php?showtopic=3399

yup aam was what i had -- my bad for being ambiguous.. but i just didnt wanna start any riots here against aam. the point i was trying to make was that i just lost confidence in any "spacer" style installs. maybe i am wrong but the motordyne looks pretty dang similar in design and style as aam. they both have a second gasket on top and bolted the same way. not a whole lot different between the two -- correct me if i'm wrong --- anyway, i just appreciate the fact that crawfords uses the ONE stock gasket.

i'm not arguing which has the better "hp gains".. i'm just throwing in my 2 cents to say that crawford's or kinetix one-piece or any other full upper collector replacement design seems a little more robust -- and for that reason, i will put my vote for crawford...
Old 05-15-2005, 08:31 PM
NourZ

Originally Posted by jkoc
yup aam was what i had -- my bad for being ambiguous.. but i just didnt wanna start any riots here against aam. the point i was trying to make was that i just lost confidence in any "spacer" style installs. maybe i am wrong but the motordyne looks pretty dang similar in design and style as aam. they both have a second gasket on top and bolted the same way. not a whole lot different between the two -- correct me if i'm wrong --- anyway, i just appreciate the fact that crawfords uses the ONE stock gasket.

i'm not arguing which has the better "hp gains".. i'm just throwing in my 2 cents to say that crawford's or kinetix one-piece or any other full upper collector replacement design seems a little more robust -- and for that reason, i will put my vote for crawford...
There is a difference between the two spacers. the AAM spacer has an angled shape which is 1/4" at one end and 1/2" at the other.. the MD spacer is equally shaped all around an comes in 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2".

I understand your point but giving the fact that the MD spacer cost almost half the price of the Crawford plenum it's a very cost effective mod.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:38 PM
jkoc

cost effective yup thats for sure.... thats why i went with the aam at first cuz i got it for a groupbuy price...

but we diverge -- i'm prettty impressed with the MD vs crawford dyno here. good info for the Z community. maybe oneday someone's gonna do a plenum dyno shoot-out hehe.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:48 PM
Z BOY

Originally Posted by E K
Here was my graph from the Church automotive dynapack. I plotted 3 runs with each setup.

Again, the dynapack reads higher. At powertrain dynamics' dynojet on 3/26 with you guys, I got 248 SAE and 259 uncorrected, running the Crawford V5 and 1/4" spacer at the same time (5AT G35 coupe).
Excellent dyno graph. Thanx, EK!
Old 05-16-2005, 10:28 AM
slowxturtle

How can you check for an airleak ?
Old 05-16-2005, 11:31 AM
NourZ

Originally Posted by slowxturtle
How can you check for an airleak ?
hsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss.. you have a leak!
Old 05-16-2005, 12:16 PM
axxizzer

but...that dyno doesnt show torque, or HP below 2500...I simply cannot believe that this can be true(that some cheap hunk of metal outperforms...an expensive hunk of metal...).

Quick Reply: Dyno: crawford plenum vs motordyne spacer