Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

she screams after 3k and the power is def noticable

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 04:09 PM
seanlaw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default she screams after 3k and the power is def noticable

But the thing was a pain to install. I didn't install the air guide/heat shield only because I couldn't fit the thing. I'm going to flatten out the shield this weekend and cut a THINNER piece of aluminum so i can make my own guide and shield...but

overall i'm really loving this intake. during wot, the intake screams starting at 2.5k rpm and gets even louder. the exhaust note from my injen straight tip is very chirpy 4k+...the power is def noticable after 3k rpm and even more noticable toward redline. i have never felt this much gain when i first installed the injen straight tip.

when blipping the gas to get going the thing swooshes...harmony to my ears. i also took out the part in the grill on the right hand side to allow more air to flow to the filter.

on another note, after first installing...the car would stall when i came to stop light after throwing the transmission into neutral around 2.5k rpm. so i reset the ecu, did a few wot runs on a ramp and the engine no longer stalls when thrown to neutral. also i made sure all fitting were tighted after a few days of travel.

overall, a great intake and from what I can tell *a noticable gain* with my injen ses.

* - not dynoed...haha
Old 05-17-2005, 05:55 PM
Lawn Dart

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have one too, and I love it. The scream from 5k to redline is awesome, but it also whistles. Try starting off with your windows down next to a wall or a building and you'll hear it. I too thought that the heat shield was tricky. I can't remember how I got it on, but I did. I think I pre-bent it inward, because it was easier to make it fit that way. Finally, I dealt with the stalling problem. When I took my car into the service department for the axle clicking TSB, I asked them to do an idle air lean relearn, and that fixed the stalling.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:35 PM
seanlaw

yea, the with the windows down...i can't get my foot off the throttle. car was in today to get window motor replaced, fuel door repaired, and they reproduced the axle clicking, so a week from now i have to take it back in...

glad to hear i'm not the only one with the air flow piece difficulty...those diagrams were a pain in the butt
Old 05-17-2005, 07:57 PM
bacalhau16

sorry dont want to hi jack but my car clicks to and i figured it was something like the axle or driveshaft. what did they end up fixing on the car?
Old 05-17-2005, 08:05 PM
ReavTek

OMG, yes those diagrams are very confusing. It's like a side/transparent view and it's really difficult to tell what goes where. I eventually got it all together then went back and did a re-install from scratch to make sure it fit 100% tight in there. That bolt for the prop under the filter is a pain.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:16 AM
vantage350z

Where did you put the hose that used to connect to the Z-tube?
Old 05-18-2005, 05:07 AM
need Z

Looking NICE!!!

Couple of questions though.

1) was it worth the price (in your opinion) and what did you end up paying for it?

2) do you plan on dyno'ing it to see what the gains are?

3) can you show pictures of the part of the grill that you removed?

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2005, 08:43 AM
seanlaw

bacalhau16 - all it says on the receipt was that they ordered parts in accordance with a TSB...i believe they mentioned clips...will have them fix it as soon as they get the parts in

vantage350z - it's underneath the aluminum piece just as it was on the long tube of the old intake

Answers

1) was it worth it...well i've never heard of much performance gain from other intakes but this one seemed to give me what i was looking for (different looks and no oiled filter). plus it's different than other intakes (aem, injen, etc)...ended up paying 300 shipped so it is a little more expensive but the quality from is good, so i figured what the heck...plus filter replacement is only like 20 bucks...and no oiled filters!!

2) i plan on dynoing it as soon as i find a cheap dynoday or something around the philadelphia area (but I also have an injen ses)...so the results would be somewhat wrong for just the intake. i think the two in conjuntion have helped performance above 3k rpm noticably.

3) i will take a picture of my grill tonight to you
Old 05-18-2005, 03:33 PM
seanlaw

grill picture...sorry for all the bugs on my bumper...

Old 05-18-2005, 03:53 PM
seanlaw

here's the exact piece i removed directly under where i took it out of the grill...big ole piece of plastic to stop bugs and valuable air...

Old 05-18-2005, 03:59 PM
onyx350z

How does the peice come off? Do you have to remove the bumper?
Old 05-18-2005, 05:37 PM
Roger V

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onyx350z
How does the peice come off? Do you have to remove the bumper?

Yah, does the other side do this also?
Old 05-18-2005, 06:01 PM
VinUnleaded

uuummm axle clicking?
Old 05-18-2005, 06:27 PM
seanlaw

don't have to take off the bumper or grille to get this off...

there are three clips that need to be removed. i found the best way to do these are using a screw driver to pry the clips out

the other side is the same
Old 05-19-2005, 08:05 AM
Zquicksilver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by seanlaw
here's the exact piece i removed directly under where i took it out of the grill...big ole piece of plastic to stop bugs and valuable air...

nice...finally someone posted this.

when i put my plate in the grill after much harassment (ie warnings) from the po-po, i saw those damn pieces of plastic i realized that with the plate and those two pieces of plastic, little or less air would be coming thru! so i removed them just like you said. now my Z can suck!!

Zquicksilver
Old 05-19-2005, 05:19 PM
need Z

Thanks for the reply. One more question if you don't mind....

Did you shop around for competitive pricing, and who did you end up buying from?

Looking very clean BTW. This is the setup that I want to get, but haven't heard/seen any reviews or dyno numbers until now.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:59 PM
seanlaw

primo with injected performance out of kentucky carries them at a good price

i've seen them as low as 280 shipped...just have to wait until vendors want to get rid of them

as for dyno numbers...it's so hard to get an accurate dyno reading from an intake only b/c it's not a 'real life' driving atmosphere at a dyno. there is hardly any moving air *well fans*...but come on fans can only do so much...the driving experience is hightened, the look is nice, and for a mod that could help give you more air, an intake is a good first step (my opinion) plus if you install yourself, you learn a little bit about the car <- priceless
Old 05-19-2005, 07:40 PM
wren57
Banned

Nice piece of work, but $300 for two feet of piping, a few flanges, and a filter? Seems like it should be much less...

Wren (considers production on a "replica" of this piece and selling for $200 )
Old 05-21-2005, 09:53 AM
bacalhau16

i agree that having an intake as ur first mod is good in more then one way. it helps in performance, sounds cool, saves u some gas, and i agree that its usually an easy do-it-yourself mod that will help u learn some things about ur car.
Old 05-22-2005, 05:51 AM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

I bought one and debating on installing it. I have an injen short ram now. Should I keep the injen and buy the extention or install the HKS?

Quick Reply: she screams after 3k and the power is def noticable