Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

21HP 19 FT Torque! On the 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 08:24 AM
nissansource

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whats funny is the person that owned my car prior is an old fart so he probably saw the item on tv and ordered it.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:26 AM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nissansource
He specificly let me know that he spent about 1 year exactly working on a owners 350z car. The car had about 15k on it and when done testing had about 25k. AFE almost droped the 350z project due to its complex readings they where getting out of different setups. The R&D team was very tired b/c they seemed to get so close and then once they dynoed their new setups it wasnt showing much gain. They tried mainly different location setups of the maf and finaly came to the possiblity of putting the maf sensor in the air intake duct. They moved the intake sensor inside the duct closest to the air filter and drove the car around for about 250 miles. Dynoed that car and to their amazment they yielded the max amount of numbers out of any design they have done.
Let me get this straight. They tested on a Z for one year? They were frustrated because they weren't getting significant gains. And, by moving the MAF sensor closer to the air filter they got max numbers?

I've got some questions for the company:

1. Where are all the dyno sheets for the year of testing?
2. Who is the owner? Is he someone on this forum that can attest to the product?
3. Why the heck would moving the MAF sensor closer to filter do anything?

I've some questions for you:

1. Have you been to any of our So. Cal. meets? Someone asked for a voucher for you. Frankly, I don't recall whether any of us have met you. And, when people like onosway with a whopping post count of 2 starts vouching for the company, I start scratching my head.
2. Can you post your baseline dyno at 238? Where, when and under what conditions was the dyno taken?
3. When you do the upcoming dyno, you're doing it at the same location, correct? And, are you going to do a back to back test with a stock set up followed by the intake set up?

Last edited by hfm; 08-03-2005 at 08:33 AM.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:34 AM
nissansource

I am not vouching for any company... and have not gone to meets. does this make me a suspect? are my posts saying im vouching? all im doing is explaining my experiance since everyone was waiting for me to get back from vacation to take my car over to afe. to be honest with you air meter locations might effect a 3d mapping ecm that is CANN based like ours..... Im not really going to get into a talk like this with you. if you like whens your next meet ill head down there, is this the chino hills meet that happends on thursday your talking about?
Old 08-03-2005, 08:37 AM
nissansource

1. Stock baseline was done at AFE
2. I am taking the car to a dynojet on Thursday with the intake on
3. Friday I am taking my newly done dynojet sheet with me to afe and dyno on their mustang dyno and do comparisons. the stock baseline dyno sheet is at AFE so they can do b4 and after overlays on their sheet.

I dont work for afe
nore am i sponsored
I offered to do these tests since im semi local

Last edited by nissansource; 08-03-2005 at 08:40 AM.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:38 AM
hfm

I am not vouching for any company... and have not gone to meets. does this make me a suspect? are my posts saying im vouching? all im doing is explaining my experiance since everyone was waiting for me to get back from vacation to take my car over to afe. to be honest with you air meter locations might effect a 3d mapping ecm that is CANN based like ours..... Im not really going to get into a talk like this with you. if you like whens your next meet ill head down there, is this the chino hills meet that happends on thursday your talking about?
Please don't mis-understand. I'm not asking you to vouch for any company. What I said is, someone wants a voucher for you. What this means is, how do we know you are unbiased, impartial and will give us a fair sample? The fact that we don't know you makes us wonder whether you have any relationship with AFE.

I'll be at the Dukes of Hazzard meet this Saturday and the Latigo Canyon run on August 21st. It would be a pleasure to meet you.

As for the MAF sensor, I'm fairly sure that it's location relative to the air filter is irrelevant. I do have an engineering contact at Nissan that I can reach should the company insist that it makes a difference. If they claim that, I'll be making a phone call.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:40 AM
hfm

1. Stock baseline was done at AFE
2. I am taking the car to a dynojet on Thursday with the intake on
3. Friday I am taking my newly done dynojet sheet with me to afe and dyno on their mustang dyno and do comparisons. the stock baseline dyno sheet is at AFE so they can do b4 and after overlays on their sheet.
So, is the after test going to be dyno at AFE? I'm sure you know comparing one dyno to any another is worthless.

The baseline v intake test must be done on the same dyno. And, unless it's SAE corrected, ideally on the same day.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:42 AM
nissansource

Originally Posted by hfm
Please don't mis-understand. I'm not asking you to vouch for any company. What I said is, someone wants a voucher for you. What this means is, how do we know you are unbiased, impartial and will give us a fair sample? The fact that we don't know you makes us wonder whether you have any relationship with AFE.

I'll be at the Dukes of Hazzard meet this Saturday and the Latigo Canyon run on August 21st. It would be a pleasure to meet you.

As for the MAF sensor, I'm fairly sure that it's location relative to the air filter is irrelevant. I do have an engineering contact at Nissan that I can reach should the company insist that it makes a difference. If they claim that, I'll be making a phone call.
Dukes of hazzard meet sounds awosome I want to see that movie pretty bad... I have some connections with Mike K at nissan and can ask any questions and have a answer from him....or i can call Clark Stepler at JWT. I know a few people in the industry. Is there anymore details on this Dukes meet? i think there is a thread somewhere on here.... any meets b4 then? id actually like anyone who wants to see the system
Old 08-03-2005, 08:46 AM
nissansource

yah i know alot of the Dyno issues I invested in a company few years back and bought a dynojet inground dyno pretty pricey. I just wanted to get two real world tests at my dyno and afe's. i will be touching AFE's dyno another time this week.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:47 AM
hfm

Duke's meet: https://my350z.com/forum/southern-california/133056-dukes-of-hazzard-meet.html

As for Mike K, becareful what he says. He gets parts discounted or free from vendors. Therefore, I would call him biased. So, I understand your baseline and intake dynos will be done on the same dyno. Look forward to the sheets.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:51 AM
Zexy

So where are the results?? Are we doing tests on the turbonator or this intake? Is this thread a big joke?

I see pics of the car on the dyno and yet no results? This is ridiculous.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:57 AM
nissansource

Whats rediculous is that all the information is in this thread and if people did some reading you would see why there is no dyno charts as of yet...
Old 08-03-2005, 08:58 AM
nissansource

Originally Posted by hfm
Duke's meet: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133056

As for Mike K, becareful what he says. He gets parts discounted or free from vendors. Therefore, I would call him biased. So, I understand your baseline and intake dynos will be done on the same dyno. Look forward to the sheets.

You are 100% right on Kojima. hahaha funny that you say that....

Thanks for the waiting i want these claim to fame intake numbers just as bad as anyone else. and if it doesnt work oh well ill take it off the car and give it to AFE no biggie

Last edited by nissansource; 08-03-2005 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:58 AM
ZinMiami

Nissansource,

I see you mentioned that the hood clearance issue came up but was not a big deal on your install. I have done some finaguling and got the clearance a little better, but it is still causing the hood to sit noticably higher on the intake side. I wonder if the airbox has been modified over time.

I cant tell from your pics how closely the airbox is contacting your A/C line. Mine was pretty tight and that is an aluminum line so I would double check since that piece will cost you around $700 to repair if it wears thru. I had to take a hammer to my airbox to clear that line.

I really wish I could get an answer from AFE about my emailed questions. Who were you working with so that I can try to get some answers by calling a direct contact?

thanks.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:12 AM
nissansource

I have been in contact with a Ben@afe not sure who you where in contact with. ill try to snap pics of the hood clearance for you and check the distance between my ac lines...
Old 08-03-2005, 10:44 AM
ZinMiami

I have been in contact with a Ben@afe not sure who you where in contact with. ill try to snap pics of the hood clearance for you and check the distance between my ac lines...
Thanks. That would let me compare and then see if mine is an anomoly.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:46 AM
NTRIGUE

Some of you are being overly challenging toward nissansource.

He is simply a Z owner that lives in convenient proximity of aFe and another DynoJet. He is providing his 'free-time' and income to be at the beckoncall of the Z community.

Both aFe and nissansource have provided concise unbiased responses and answers to countless accusations. In the face of skepticism and cynicism they have been polite and confident.

nissansource has indicated...
a) He has knowledge of dynos.
b) Is not a complete idiot.
c) Intends to provide as clear a comparison as his means allow.

If you don't like it you commute to aFe. You work timely responses to rude objections around birthdays and nights out with family. But until then I feel we have a source that can provide us with a fair representation of this product prior to its mainstream installation on a variety of 350Z's.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:25 AM
Roggan

Originally Posted by xcmpx
Some of you are being overly challenging toward nissansource.

He is simply a Z owner that lives in convenient proximity of aFe and another DynoJet. He is providing his 'free-time' and income to be at the beckoncall of the Z community.

Both aFe and nissansource have provided concise unbiased responses and answers to countless accusations. In the face of skepticism and cynicism they have been polite and confident.

nissansource has indicated...
a) He has knowledge of dynos.
b) Is not a complete idiot.
c) Intends to provide as clear a comparison as his means allow.

If you don't like it you commute to aFe. You work timely responses to rude objections around birthdays and nights out with family. But until then I feel we have a source that can provide us with a fair representation of this product prior to its mainstream installation on a variety of 350Z's.

I agree, IMO it's damn nice of Nissansource to do this at all, and most of all to keep everyone here updated with the progress.

Looking forward to the comparison chart from the aFe dyno with the filter and "drive in".

And BTW happy Birthday Nissansource

/Roger
Old 08-03-2005, 11:32 AM
ZinMiami

Originally Posted by Roggan
I agree, IMO it's damn nice of Nissansource to do this at all, and most of all to keep everyone here updated with the progress.

Looking forward to the comparison chart from the aFe dyno with the filter and "drive in".

And BTW happy Birthday Nissansource

/Roger
+100
Old 08-03-2005, 12:25 PM
nissansource

Thanks Guys.........

everyone here is chimming in and not reading everything and then commenting... its all good. no worries on my end...
Old 08-04-2005, 03:24 AM
ZinMiami

Originally Posted by hfm
As for the MAF sensor, I'm fairly sure that it's location relative to the air filter is irrelevant.
Actually the position, distance and orientation are all items that can impact the amount and velocity of air that the MAF can sense and in turn impact the voltage signal that it will send out.

So positioning does make a difference, it just remains to be seen if this repositioning in the AFE is beneficial. In a similar fashion tube diameter is critical to a properly designed intake. If the diameter is too large for example the MAF once again cannot get a proper reading. That is why some el cheapo ebay intakes cause engine check lights to come on.

It's all connected.............................

Quick Reply: 21HP 19 FT Torque! On the 350Z