Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

21HP 19 FT Torque! On the 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 03:44 AM
Roggan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZinMiami
Actually the position, distance and orientation are all items that can impact the amount and velocity of air that the MAF can sense and in turn impact the voltage signal that it will send out.

So positioning does make a difference, it just remains to be seen if this repositioning in the AFE is beneficial. In a similar fashion tube diameter is critical to a properly designed intake. If the diameter is too large for example the MAF once again cannot get a proper reading. That is why some el cheapo ebay intakes cause engine check lights to come on.

It's all connected.............................
The question is if a few inches change of the MAF's position can yeld a 10hp RWHP increase difference with otherwise the same or IMO even better designs...

EDIT: And when im thinking about this again, isnt the STOCK MAF position exactly in the same location as on the aFe intake? (which means also the JWT intake should have the MAF at this exact offset but with the only difference that the stock MAF tunnel piping is slightly smaller (like 2.5" vs 3.0") diameter which i can imagine COULD reduce power slightly, but 15hp seams abit extreme IMO...)

STOCK MAF POSITION:
If you dont already know the stock location of the MAF, on the picture below its abit vauge but its just next to the yellow oil filler handle.

K&N Typhoon:
This is the intake (K&N Typhoon) i think has the best design, an im concidering to buy it today or tomorrow, it has almost identical design to the aFe and has a propper sealed airbox + a CAI ram that you can connect to the box witha water separator built in, and its half the price!! Nice real carbon air box to! K&N claim a 10.1 rwhp increase and has a beleavable dyno chart to back it up.

AFE INTAKE MAF POSITION:
As you can see, the MAF is EXACTLY at the same offset from the filter as with the stock setup (as well as all short ram intakes using the stock MAF tunnel...)

aFe MAF position

/Roger

Last edited by Roggan; 08-04-2005 at 04:22 AM.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:06 AM
nissansource

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys just keepin you updated my Dynojet appt is at 5pm today.... ill letcha know the numbers.. also my coworker said he thought my baseline dyno was 228 not 238 n ot sure ill konw from afe when we get all the paperwork
Old 08-04-2005, 08:45 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Roggan
The question is if a few inches change of the MAF's position can yeld a 10hp RWHP increase difference with otherwise the same or IMO even better designs...

EDIT: And when im thinking about this again, isnt the STOCK MAF position exactly in the same location as on the aFe intake? (which means also the JWT intake should have the MAF at this exact offset but with the only difference that the stock MAF tunnel piping is slightly smaller (like 2.5" vs 3.0") diameter which i can imagine COULD reduce power slightly, but 15hp seams abit extreme IMO...)

STOCK MAF POSITION:
If you dont already know the stock location of the MAF, on the picture below its abit vauge but its just next to the yellow oil filler handle.

K&N Typhoon:
This is the intake (K&N Typhoon) i think has the best design, an im concidering to buy it today or tomorrow, it has almost identical design to the aFe and has a propper sealed airbox + a CAI ram that you can connect to the box witha water separator built in, and its half the price!! Nice real carbon air box to! K&N claim a 10.1 rwhp increase and has a beleavable dyno chart to back it up.

AFE INTAKE MAF POSITION:
As you can see, the MAF is EXACTLY at the same offset from the filter as with the stock setup (as well as all short ram intakes using the stock MAF tunnel...)

aFe MAF position

/Roger
You wont be dissapointed with that K&N my friend.

BTW: I ordered mine Painted Silver instead of the Polished Finish, Matches the Strut Brace Paint Perfectly.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:03 AM
zh.guitar
Leave your mark!

+1
Old 08-04-2005, 10:04 AM
DayBlueZ

Any numbers yet?
Old 08-04-2005, 10:18 AM
the7ferret

Originally Posted by nissansource
Hey guys just keepin you updated my Dynojet appt is at 5pm today.... ill letcha know the numbers.. also my coworker said he thought my baseline dyno was 228 not 238 n ot sure ill konw from afe when we get all the paperwork

5 pm
comeon.

that means I wont know untill 2 AM!
This has gone on long enough, most discussed intake award goes to this.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:10 PM
nissansource

Ive got work to attend to sorry i cant make it sooner for you btw do you want to pay my dyno time?
Old 08-04-2005, 02:52 PM
Zexy

Thumbs down

hahahahahaha
Old 08-04-2005, 03:55 PM
ZinMiami

Ive got work to attend to sorry i cant make it sooner for you btw do you want to pay my dyno time?

How dare you let a little thing like work get in the way
Old 08-04-2005, 04:17 PM
nissansource

here we go... notice cold run in the middle... did that by letting the car sit 5-10 min. i drove the car about 40 min and then dynoed so it was hot and 94 degrees in the dyno room. now i gotta get a finalization on my baseline hp btw all dynos are different i have video of the runs ill try to get that on here also
Attached Thumbnails 21HP 19 FT Torque! On the 350Z-small.jpg  

Last edited by nissansource; 08-04-2005 at 04:24 PM.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:34 PM
vfr350

Just for reference, was the hood openned or closed?
Old 08-04-2005, 04:41 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

So from what I'm seeing you got +10 HP just by doing nothing between a couple of runs?
Old 08-04-2005, 04:41 PM
nissansource

hood open and doing nothing with the car turned off and bsing with the owners. Second run we put water on the intake plenum but that didnt help much. letting it sit did

Last edited by nissansource; 08-04-2005 at 04:44 PM.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:43 PM
nissansource

Total of 3 runs did everything when i got off work road the 10 frwy for awhile and dynoed right when i got there
Old 08-04-2005, 04:44 PM
Roggan

here we go... notice cold run in the middle... did that by letting the car sit 5-10 min. i drove the car about 40 min and then dynoed so it was hot and 94 degrees in the dyno room. now i gotta get a finalization on my baseline hp btw all dynos are different i have video of the runs ill try to get that on here also
So by the look of that concidering your previous baseline of 228 (hehe or 238) its a max 10hp gain on the cold run and 2-3hp on the other 2... I was expecing some 5-10 hp gain and i would say this just confirms that.

I think the 21hp dyno that aFe did before must have been in ideal conditions and the dyno run with the stock for comparison in much worse.

Now i can safely order my Typhoon for half the afe price

/Roger
Old 08-04-2005, 04:45 PM
nissansource

Originally Posted by Roggan
So by the look of that concidering your previous baseline of 228 (hehe or 238) its a max 10hp gain on the cold run and 2-3hp on the other 2... I was expecing some 5-10 hp gain and i would say this just confirms that.

I think the 21hp dyno that aFe did before must have been in ideal conditions and the dyno run with the stock for comparison in much worse.

Now i can safely order my Typhoon for half the afe price

/Roger
haha yah well tomarrow i should be hitting AFE and getting all the baselines sheets with the new runs tomarrow. But i gotta tell you it was Freakin HOT!!! inside the dyno room i was in. Soooo it might have some effect on the cars performance. but it does show improvement i really cant wait to see what happends on afe dyno. what everyone has to remember is all dynos are different the owner was saying his Dynojet always dynos 8hp less then anyone elses dyno and compared it with couple local guys shops. i have it all on video. Cars run different dureing different conditions and these conditions where pretty harsh since its HOT AS HELL in CA right now. In my opinion it did Pretty decent well know more tomarrow

Last edited by nissansource; 08-04-2005 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:57 PM
nissansource

I was looking at K&N dyno chart looks like they dynoed in the 9-10 AM in the morning. temps where much lower as shown on their dynometer. btw everyone in this shop complimented on the build quality of AFE. Anyway guys just thought id get this out there fast now i gotta work on a SRT-4 with a GT35R turbo straped to the motor

Last edited by nissansource; 08-04-2005 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:12 PM
Roggan

haha yah well tomarrow i should be hitting AFE and getting all the baselines sheets with the new runs tomarrow. But i gotta tell you it was Freakin HOT!!! inside the dyno room i was in. Soooo it might have some effect on the cars performance. but it does show improvement i really cant wait to see what happends on afe dyno. what everyone has to remember is all dynos are different the owner was saying his Dynojet always dynos 8hp less then anyone elses dyno and compared it with couple local guys shops. i have it all on video. Cars run different dureing different conditions and these conditions where pretty harsh since its HOT AS HELL in CA right now. In my opinion it did Pretty decent well know more tomarrow
Yes true, it depends alot on the dyno and also the conditions but the question is always how much... So basically the only way to really compare is on the same day, same dyno and same temprature.

Lets see tomorrow on the aFe dyno before we jump to any conclusions. But atleast so far nothing indicates that it would yeld the magic 21hp.

I was looking at K&N dyno chart looks like they dynoed in the 9-10 AM in the morning. temps where much lower as shown on their dynometer. btw everyone in this shop complimented on the build quality of AFE
I am sure the quality is nice, it looks quite nice as well. Though we have heard about some fitting issues (atleast on earlier models), and the price is WAY to high unless it does produce the claimed 21hp. IMO the Tyhpoon both looks better (and comes in 4 differen colors to suit your engine bay/car, polished, silver, red and blue) and is IMO a smarter more propper design with the CAI ram and real carbon box etc.

And yes you are right, some 15 degree diff to K&N's advantage, though as usual very hard to tell how much impact that has... But i dont see anything that would make the afe better then the Typhoon, rather the other way around, the afe dosent even have a sealed air box...

Looking forwards to tomorrows results from the same Dyno that you did the stock measurements on at afe.

/Roger
Old 08-04-2005, 05:41 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

Not to mention it's not CARB approved. I hope this post dies soon.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:51 PM
DayBlueZ

Well, that doesn't add up to what was advertised. Another claim falls by the wayside.

Quick Reply: 21HP 19 FT Torque! On the 350Z