Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

21HP 19 FT Torque! On the 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 12:05 PM
Fletch69z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish that there were some results. This post has been going for so long with nothing concrete to answer any questions. You would think that AFE would do anything to prove to a board full of Z owners watering at the mouth at the idea of their product to prove that it does what they say it does.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:10 PM
Roggan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hahahaha i was checking out some more stuff from aFe website... These guys are absolutely NUTZ!!!! I wont beleve ANYTHING that comes from them, this takes the price.

They claim 42hp gains with their cone filter and heat shield on a 92-98 BMW 325/328??! I am not joking. That is almost a 25% increase of total engine power... And this is only the "stage 1" system...

Check it out for your selves (i had to look 10 times before i realized i was acctually reading it right): AFE PDF Sales material for the E36 BMW

Look at the red oval under "Big gains" in the top left courner picture. I also just love their dyno chart, its so clear and you can really make out all the numbers...

aFe products looks like good quality craftsmanship, but who does the marketing and sales stuff?? How can they allow such ******** and lies in their adds?

/Roger

Last edited by Roggan; 08-15-2005 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:47 PM
hfm

Originally Posted by Roggan
They claim 42hp gains with their cone filter and heat shield on a 92-98 BMW 325/328??!
We'll that did it. This company is pure ********. I'm not wasting any more time reading this crap.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:09 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Look at the specs on this page:

http://www.afefilters.com/54-10482.asp

There, they claim "Dyno Results 19 H.P and 21 FT LBS Torque!"

Which one is it 21HP/19TQ or 19HP/21TQ? They can't even get the lie figured out.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:49 PM
nissansource

Maybe they are waiting to chime in when the last of the DYNOS are done.... There is really no need till this is proven. What are they gonna tell us really??? 45 hp increase on bmw wow
Old 08-15-2005, 04:09 PM
Acree

this thread needs to DIE!!!!!
Old 08-15-2005, 04:52 PM
Roggan

Originally Posted by nissansource
Maybe they are waiting to chime in when the last of the DYNOS are done.... There is really no need till this is proven. What are they gonna tell us really??? 45 hp increase on bmw wow
Well if thats the same dyno that "proved" the 42 HP increase for the ´94 325 BMW im not really sure what to beleve... The filter and PDF was released just a year ago, so its not some old stuff...

I am sure the filter is well built and i think it looks nice, hell i would even concider buying one if it would have been abit more competetive price wise, but i dont think it produces any double power gain difference over any other similar filter design for less then half the price, the real gain would be 5-10hp max realistically. The thing that bothers me and i guess other folks here is their insane claims of HUGE and impossible gains with their filters, they are making lots of money on selling stuff with false information, that is even illegal!

21hp dyno measured increase can be POSSIBLE with really crappy conditions for the baseline and ideal for the filter test where the "real" increase is somewhere in between, could be on purpose or by "misstake" i dont know. Though 42hp as clearly claimed for the BMW is IMPOSSIBLE and even aFe themselves (if they know anything about engine tuning) must understand that it is before claiming and publishing such figures.

Nissansource, when you talk to aFe on wednesday, could you print and bring this PDF and ask them about it, would be intresting to hear how they can explain a 42hp gain with only a conefilter and shield on a 190 (crank)hp car, this time the MAF position story dosent work as this even uses stock piping and MAF tunnel etc... Perhaps aFe filters comes with a built in micro canister of 50 shot NOS for dyno runs?

/Roger

Last edited by Roggan; 08-15-2005 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:58 PM
E K

Originally Posted by Roggan
21hp dyno measured increase can be POSSIBLE with really crappy conditions for the baseline and ideal for the filter test where the "real" increase is somewhere in between, could be on purpose or by "misstake" i dont know.
/Roger
I totally agree with that. Which is why we need to be able to see all the runs. All we know is that the baseline was 238. Or 228. Was this the only run done? If there were other runs, was this run the highest? Lowest? Average?
Old 08-16-2005, 08:45 PM
Fletch69z

Not gonna hear anything I would say...They tried their best and probably even got a few people on here excited enough to buy one and made some money on them. Poor bastards, .
Old 08-17-2005, 12:05 AM
charlie_rdstr_Z

Originally Posted by dave079
anything?
*crickets*
Old 08-17-2005, 01:33 PM
DayBlueZ

I think i hear TAPS playing.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:02 PM
nissansource

Just got back from AFE

Ill post more and scan the dynos when i get back home

246hp/253fttq
83 degrees in the dyno room
and we did 2 pulls since i was on a time crunch. btw this is on a mustang dyno the prior independent dyno was a dynojet@ 237 with 94ish temps. Ill post some more when i get home

oh and details

Car had Sunday oil change of Mobile 1 =)
so for you detail hoppers

Last edited by nissansource; 08-17-2005 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:26 PM
nissansource

Originally Posted by dave079
First this is no where even close to 21hp. Second you dyno'd on 2 different dynos. Third there is an 11 degree difference in temps and even altitude could be different. I could go on and on, but this is no where near being accurate with all these different things thrown into the mix. I am not aiming this at you nissansource, but a true outside independent dyno should be done.
Car made power plain and simple.. afe donated time and an intake for the testing granted you are right the DYNOS are not perfect with time and temp but hey its making power. I just kinda figured this would happen but afe stated it needed to be driven for a good 100-200 miles to get the ECU used to it and it all makes perfect sense in doing it. Mossy nissan tested the same intake by doing dyno after dyno and said themselfs it reads in the instructions to drive the car for 100-200 miles but they just swaped it on the dyno and ran the car and made barely any hp increase(GOTTA TALK TO CHRIS TO MAKE SURE HOW MUCH). If ya need verication call Shaggy @ mossy hell letcha know. He has even driven in mine and said it makes way more power then theirs did. Ill be back a bit later with these graphs. I do appreciate AFE for comming here and trying to prove their setup I dont see injen or any other manufacture doing this. AFE should be chiming in they held out to wait for the final results. But thanks guys for your time i just wanna appologize since i didnt have much of it myself. Being a IT Director for a company is hard work =)
Old 08-17-2005, 02:29 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

This whole fiasco is about as useful as me buying the intake and getting my car dynoed then comparing the numbers to Nissansources' baseline and saying it made XX HP.

I agree with the earlier suggestions that this thread be closed. If somebody wants to and can do a real evaluation, let them do it then open a new thread.

Quick Reply: 21HP 19 FT Torque! On the 350Z