Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Headers... is it a good investment?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 07:23 AM
nlsqba

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers... is it a good investment?

I will be getting my bonus in a few weeks and I want to buy sth for my baby. I already have nismo intake + exhaust. Rearding "looks" I have 19" wheels, 20% tint and a tiny nissan spoiler

I was thinking going with a vortech supercharger for a while... but I guess the power would be 2 tempting for a daily driven car. Bearing in mind that I will not track my car a lot, the extra HP will be mainly used on the streets. So I dont know if the extra 80+ HP on my wheels would be a smart move -spcialy since my driving record without FI is already shaky.

My next idea was going with headers. Nismo headers are above $1k. Do you think it is worth spending that money? Can I install them on my own? How long will it take me?

On one hand I want to go with the FI but on the other I want to keep my DL. And in my opinion going with FI just for show is a waste of $$$. Why buying sth that you will not use?

What do you think? Should I get the headers? Or maybe doing a sound system would be a better idea? By the way I am unable to drop my car or install any body kit because of my garage drivaway - the angle is 2 big.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:24 AM
HarvesterUT
Premier Member

try the Engine Forum....thats the best place for performance mod info
Old 09-09-2005, 07:26 AM
bigbri

Originally Posted by nlsqba
I will be getting my bonus in a few weeks and I want to buy sth for my baby. I already have nismo intake + exhaust. Rearding "looks" I have 19" wheels, 20% tint and a tiny nissan spoiler

I was thinking going with a vortech supercharger for a while... but I guess the power would be 2 tempting for a daily driven car. Bearing in mind that I will not track my car a lot, the extra HP will be mainly used on the streets. So I dont know if the extra 80+ HP on my wheels would be a smart move -spcialy since my driving record without FI is already shaky.

My next idea was going with headers. Nismo headers are above $1k. Do you think it is worth spending that money? Can I install them on my own? How long will it take me?

On one hand I want to go with the FI but on the other I want to keep my DL. And in my opinion going with FI just for show is a waste of $$$. Why buying sth that you will not use?

What do you think? Should I get the headers? Or maybe doing a sound system would be a better idea? By the way I am unable to drop my car or install any body kit because of my garage drivaway - the angle is 2 big.
Isay go FI you won't be dissapointed... and maybe you will get into tracking your car after you get fi??? I say everyone with a z should track their car once..... over 1000 dollars for 5 to 12 hp?? ... just my thoughts.... find a good deal on a supercharger...... it's going to be reliable and you'll have a quick *** car....
Old 09-09-2005, 07:48 AM
danvain

If you go the header route, you can get much less expensive headers. Best I've seen is for ceramic coated DC headers...about $470. They are a pain in the a$$ to install, but not as difficult as some vehicles.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:59 AM
g356gear

I had the DC headers on my car....and did not feel a whole lot of change. If I were going to do it again I would go with the Crawford equal length headers. They give a huge torque increase right in the middle of the rev range ...right between 3000 and 4500 rpms'...perfect for street driving.

http://www.crawfordzcar.com/
Old 09-09-2005, 10:53 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

vortech supercharger ...daily driven car...going with headers...I want to go with the FI...maybe doing a sound system...

Please read “ Sticky: New 350Z owners, read this before doing any modifications to your Z.” Thanks.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:03 PM
Sundeviljay

if i put the crawford v5 plenum, crawford headers, and some test pipes, how much HP could I get? Will I feel a big difference?
Old 09-10-2005, 03:50 AM
randyshemin@comcast.

http://www.crawfordz.com/headers.htm

With their headers, plenum and cats, they say 20 hp and 40 peak.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:03 AM
lowrider

Originally Posted by GameOverGagne
if i put the crawford v5 plenum, crawford headers, and some test pipes, how much HP could I get? Will I feel a big difference?
Look Here:

https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhaust/130789-my-crawford-headers-came.html

Lou
Old 09-11-2005, 10:18 AM
nlsqba

so which headers? nismo or crawford?

i have nismo intake and nismo exhaus...
Old 09-11-2005, 11:15 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by nlsqba
so which headers? nismo or crawford?

i have nismo intake and nismo exhaus...

Between those two, Crawfords DEFINITELY. don't expect too much for your $1400 + install.