The truth about Motordynes new mod for the Rev Up motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 12:16 PM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The truth about Motordynes new mod for the Rev Up motor

We have been hearing and seeing a lot of threads about Motordynes new mod for the Rev Up motors. There have been a lot of speculation about the numbers that this mod was producing, I have seen somewhere along the lines of 21HP and 19 pounds of torque. I can see why a lot of people would be skeptical about these numbers especially when these numbers were taken off of a Dynopack.

Performance Nissan and Tony Colette of Motordyne Engineering have been working together for the past week on this new mod for the Rev Up motor. We tested this new mod on my car on the a Dynojet and its peak power gain was 17HP and 19 pounds of torque. I have not seen this much of a gain from a bolt on mod for the 350Z. We can tell you that it is a plenum mod and the package does consists of more than 1 part. We cannot disclose any more information on this as of right now but we will have a full article with dyno sheets and details of this new mod in the upcoming weeks so be sure to keep a look out!
Old 10-24-2005, 12:21 PM
solidsnake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I want one for sure. Bet it works well with FI Z's.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:24 PM
cvt

wow...let's see the dyno! that sounds great from just a bolt on. lets see the power curve and a/f ratios as well.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:33 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pure sickness!
Old 10-24-2005, 12:41 PM
CLETUS

Originally Posted by cvt
wow...let's see the dyno! that sounds great from just a bolt on. lets see the power curve and a/f ratios as well.

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/146774-05-high-rev-motors-18whp-22-29wtq-a-thanks-to-tony-motordyne-engineering.html
Old 10-24-2005, 01:10 PM
cvt

i see red x's......
Old 10-24-2005, 01:43 PM
kosmic

a few pages in there are a couple dyno charts that hydrazine posted, but those first two charts are broken images now.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:50 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not to be a d!ck, but imo there is still no truth to what you say. People have to take the "true" dyno numbers with a grain of salt when A) the manufacturer claims so and so gains(like it was done in the other thread), and/or B) a Distributor of the product makes claims-who obviouslly wants to make $$. So the question is, do you currently or will you in the future sell this product? If your answer is yes, I still want a 100% independent dyno.

Edit-doesnt matter if you sell it or not, you were working with the guy making the product, we still dont have a 100% independent customer dyno to validate these claims.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:15 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
Not to be a d!ck, but imo there is still no truth to what you say. People have to take the "true" dyno numbers with a grain of salt when A) the manufacturer claims so and so gains(like it was done in the other thread), and/or B) a Distributor of the product makes claims-who obviouslly wants to make $$. So the question is, do you currently or will you in the future sell this product? If your answer is yes, I still want a 100% independent dyno.

Edit-doesnt matter if you sell it or not, you were working with the guy making the product, we still dont have a 100% independent customer dyno to validate these claims.
I agree but, I tend to give Performance the benefit of the doubt. Over the past 3 years or so, they have proven to be a standup group on this forum. That is not to say that everyone will see these results.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:21 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah, I'd have to give Performance the benefit of a doubt on this one too. It's not like they'd make a million dollars on this single mod and risk their reputation in a scam.

The real proof will come eventually....
Old 10-24-2005, 03:48 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

But Performance Nissan was also the same guys selling Varis air ducts $60-70 OVER MSRP and bragging about how they didnt care cuz people ordered them anyway. Not trying to talk anybody or any product down, you guys just have to be a little more skeptical-sorry ar least I am, believe what you want
Old 10-24-2005, 04:09 PM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally Posted by Alberto

I agree with you 100%. This dyno was comletely independent and our dynos ALWAYS have been. We took no part in the manfacturing of this product, the product was already available but just not to the market due to R&D reasons. We have done countless dynos on parts that were not manufactuered by us but to put out to the public as to what kind of power the product really makes. We have never made bias opinions or assumptions in any products but just solely for knowledgable purposes to find out the truth about the product. Yes we will be selling the prodcut but only because of how impressed we were with the outcome. As always, we will have a detailed write up and unaltered dyno sheets to back it up.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:16 PM
Beta99

can we see some dyno plots? Previous plots had a lost of power @ peak...curious to see what yours looks like?
Old 10-24-2005, 08:01 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Alberto,

When I first approached Andy at Performance Nissan about this, his response was about the same as yours. Disbelief.. (and possibly annoyed at another ridiculous bolt on HP claim.) I cant blame him. 15+ HP?... From a NA mod?... That sounds like another AFE advertisement.

And I expected there to be plenty of flame for a while. No other NA bolt on produces 15+ HP. Nothing! Nothing but the Motordyne M-REV.

Yeah, I know it sounds like a bad infomercial but what else can I say if what I am saying is the truth. (And on the conservative side at that.)

Tell you what, if you had access to a REVUP engine, I would like to see you oversee the dyno. Install the thing while on the dyno. Don't even remove the car from the roller and do another set of pulls.

Find someone interested in buying this mod (risk free).
15+ HP on the dyno or I'll pay for the mod and the dyno time.

If it clears 15+ HP you can buy me a beer.

This is kinda funny though. Andy blew me off at first because he didn't believe it any more than you do. I was persistant because I had reason to be.. and so we finally dynod it on his Z at the shop of his choice. Pre/Post results were better than what I said it would be and now he believes...

Now that he tells others about what he personally witnessed, he's getting the same disbelief. Its ironic LOL!

I remember when I first came out with the plenum spacers on this board about a year ago. Wow! I caught major heat (and hate) for that one. Back then, I only claimed a conservative 5-10 HP (when the spacers regularly do 11-13HP).

Save mabey a few individuals, I don't think anyone considers plenum spacers to be snake oil any more. They work!

The M-REV works as advertised too. The only difference is, M-REV is new and it produces so much NA power, it may take a while for the market to believe its real.

Got REVUP friends?
Old 10-24-2005, 08:32 PM
alpine

Default What are we actually talking about here?

Feel free to let me know what it is that I am already supposed to know about this product(s) to answer my question...

What are we actually talking about there?

I know many of us are familiar with Motordyne and the Spacer mods for the EXISTING plenum, right?

Are we talking about a new plenum from motordyne? and/or spacer? And/or some other product(s) in conjunction?

I saw a post from Jason on 3 5 0 z m o t o r i ng but I wasn' sure if he was talking about this same product ot what, but it appears to be a straight bolt on, and no ECU/Tuning required to get the benefit.

As some of us know, the ECU seems to be "taking back" some of the improvements we have gained via bolt ons, what's to say this isn't going to happen in this case?

The "gains" from this or any bolt on are ALWAYS subjective to additional equipment, test enviroment, and then "reality"......

It seemed like this is not a "finallized" product and it is something that is still being tested for "general release"? Is that the case or not?

How much is this going to cost? This comes back to product or product(s) and what will it take to get it installed? What about the DIY'ers out there?

Then someone mentioned "I bet it's great for FI"... I'm sure it is, so long as we know what we're talking about.....

As soon as we take this to FI, then we're back to TUNING + OTHER EQUIPMENT - REALITY = RESULT type issues.

I'm looking forward to SEEING whatever it is we are really talking about here, and hopefully it holds up.....

I can tell you first hand that plenum does make a huge difference with FI, but unfortunately not plenum alone....
Old 10-24-2005, 08:38 PM
03Screamer

Any reason why this product won't work on the 287hp motors? Can't you at least tell us what this product is and what it does? I don't see why doing so is going to hurt your company in anyway... if the product is as good as you're saying. I don't discount the numbers you're claiming at all, but all this talk about how much hp this mod is giving without having a clue as to what is, is quite frustrating to customers. Sorry if I came off as an *******, just trying to get some beans on the table lol.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:42 PM
Roger V

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you expect this much gain on a non rev-up motor? Assuming we use one of their other spacers.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:17 PM
the7ferret

+1 on why it wont work with 287HP Motor..
Old 10-25-2005, 02:54 AM
pimp1911

+2. Or is there another option for us. Is there any ECU work that needs to be done.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:41 AM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Trust me guys, all your questions will be answered very soon. The product is finalized, just not ready for the market but will be very soon. I know its agony to hear such things about a new product but it will be worth the wait.

Quick Reply: The truth about Motordynes new mod for the Rev Up motor