Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Best Piggy back ECU for NA and cost effectiveness.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 07:39 PM
Project Hex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Piggy back ECU for NA and cost effectiveness.

Title says it...
I want to get a piggyback, but I don't really want to spend 1000 on a Utec. What would u guys suggest? I have read a ton of threads on this stuff but not getting a straight answer, not interested in a reflash. I know people will have differing opions but that is what im looking for opinions.
So here are my details..
So far I have...
test pipes
headers
Plenum spacer
pop charger
crank pulley

In the future...
TD exhaust

Havent installed any of the above yet, I figured I should have it all done at once, except for the exhaust, dont have the cash for that right now. Thank you for your help!!! I will dyno after install for everyone to see results.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:06 PM
ht4

UTEC is your best bet... If you wan a real deal, and you have a unichip tuner near you, I would imagine that you can find some great deals on unichip piggybacks from APS kit owners who have switched to something else...
Old 12-14-2005, 04:01 PM
Project Hex

Would I benefit as much with the unichip(dealer in my state) as a emanage ultimate or emanage blue? Thank you !!
Old 12-14-2005, 04:51 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you really are going to derive zero benefit from a piggyback....do it the right way (UTEC or flash), or honestly, save your money
Old 12-14-2005, 06:24 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

We are in NJ also, we have the UTECs in stock if you would like to stop by..
Old 12-14-2005, 08:01 PM
DG350Z

If you get 0 gain from a piggy back system, is a UTEC really worth 1 grand?
Old 12-14-2005, 08:30 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by DG350Z
If you get 0 gain from a piggy back system, is a UTEC really worth 1 grand?
Why would you get 0 gain from a properly tuned vehicle? The VQ motor in N/A form hasalot to gain from tuning, this has been proven time and time again with the reflashes.The UTEC or any piggyback system gives the user the ability to control timing and A/F and tune the vehicle as they mod.This is a very useful and powerful tool..
Old 12-15-2005, 04:35 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Simple - because most of the piggybacks (SAFR, SAFC) do not have their own drivers for fuel or ignition...they scale the stock signals. On OBD2 cars, this results in inconsistent numbers at best, and you'll find yourself constantly figiting with it

A UTEC is not a piggyback, it is a parrelle engine mgmt system

Either a UTEC or a properly tuned Emanage would be a far better choice...though at the point you load up the Emanage with the bells and whistles it needs to be a worthwhile setup, you are in UTEC price territory. Overall, I personally the find the UTEC to be a far more competant (consistent) system, and easier to use as well. YMMV
Old 12-15-2005, 04:40 AM
MrKaira
Really MrZ31

with the piggybacks, is it suggested like a flash that you wait to get it until after you have done all the modding you are going to do?
Old 12-15-2005, 04:45 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

I don't suggest using piggybacks at all on the car, but that's just me. Overall, I found them to not work well, and only allowed you to make very small corrections before the stock ecu reverted back to stock. The nie thing about the parrallel system are that as your level of mods changes, you are able to remap the car to suit, and datalog each change you do to see exactly what the car is seeing.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:29 PM
ZON

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
only allowed you to make very small corrections before the stock ecu reverted back to stock.
Ummmm, I think he might be right about this.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:34 PM
thawk408

Originally Posted by throbbing_Zon
Ummmm, I think he might be right about this.
What happend?
Old 12-15-2005, 08:52 PM
ZON

Originally Posted by thawk408
What happend?
One thing I know is that +10* timing was put in through Unichip during the tune. After about 150 miles the stock ECU pulled it back. My tuner adjusted for this and got my power back permanently. I don't remember the whole technical explanation. But he said this time he only added +2* timing and the ECU takes care of the rest.
Whatever though, the biotch runs real strong now and is a lot quicker over stock.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:46 AM
Jime
Banned

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
I don't suggest using piggybacks at all on the car, but that's just me. Overall, I found them to not work well, and only allowed you to make very small corrections before the stock ecu reverted back to stock. The nie thing about the parrallel system are that as your level of mods changes, you are able to remap the car to suit, and datalog each change you do to see exactly what the car is seeing.
The S-AFC works fine as long as you program it for Hi-Throttle 40% and then just program the Hi-Throttle. Anything less than 40% and the ECU will revert it back. Don't bother with the Lo-Throttle at all.

Been using this for the last 3 years and my wideband confirms the settings stick.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:10 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by Jime
The S-AFC works fine as long as you program it for Hi-Throttle 40% and then just program the Hi-Throttle. Anything less than 40% and the ECU will revert it back. Don't bother with the Lo-Throttle at all.

Been using this for the last 3 years and my wideband confirms the settings stick.
You must be lucky, all the customers we had come in with the Super AFC installed in a Z, has issues..Mostly due to faulty install and improper tune, but none the less issues..I do not feel the super AFC has the ability to consistantly tune the 350z.If you really did a datalog of you car over a course of several weeks in different weather conditions, Im sure you would find the Super AFC very inconsistant in its state of tune.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:37 AM
Jime
Banned

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
You must be lucky, all the customers we had come in with the Super AFC installed in a Z, has issues..Mostly due to faulty install and improper tune, but none the less issues..I do not feel the super AFC has the ability to consistantly tune the 350z.If you really did a datalog of you car over a course of several weeks in different weather conditions, Im sure you would find the Super AFC very inconsistant in its state of tune.
I bracket race, 350 runs this year so I datalog more that probably anyone. T here is nothing wrong with the S-AFC it just needs to be setup right.

Agreed if you have different weather conditions etc you need to retune but that goes for any setup if you want it 100%. The a/f will change a little due to weather but thats why we use weather stations and ET prediction software at the track. If I didn't want the timing, raised limiter, 2 step etc I would stick with the S-AFC.

Speaking of consistency I finished 2nd in the Bracket Import class and 4th in the Summit Series against the V8's in street class, nothing requires better consistency than bracket racing.