Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Important News about INJEN!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 12:11 PM
webcarconnection

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Important News about INJEN!!!

Hello guys!

If you remember I dyno the Z with the injen and the Pre-silencer remove and gave me 259 HP 245 TQ (5th) I dyno again with 1000 + miles after install and the results stay the same, but I did something else, I put back the stock black air box (K&N) with the Injen Pipe (like the intake of JIC) and gave me 258 HP and 244 TQ.
Hmm... I don't know, maybe I gonne stick with this Mod. is more Stock looking. my car is red so its still looks good with the rest of the Injen system.
Old 01-21-2003, 12:19 PM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

Default Re: Important News about INJEN!!!

Originally posted by webcarconnection
Hello guys!

If you remember I dyno the Z with the injen and the Pre-silencer remove and gave me 259 HP 245 TQ (5th) I dyno again with 1000 + miles after install and the results stay the same, but I did something else, I put back the stock black air box (K&N) with the Injen Pipe (like the intake of JIC) and gave me 258 HP and 244 TQ.
Hmm... I don't know, maybe I gonne stick with this Mod. is more Stock looking. my car is red so its still looks good with the rest of the Injen system.
How did you connect the Injen pipe to the stock air box? I understand that it has 4 bolts? do you have any pics? Thanks!
Old 01-21-2003, 12:48 PM
webcarconnection

Default Re: Re: Important News about INJEN!!!

Originally posted by Apexi350z
How did you connect the Injen pipe to the stock air box? I understand that it has 4 bolts? do you have any pics? Thanks!
The sysrem provides a adapter to connect the flow meter that have that 4 bolts.

I provide pics soon!
Old 01-21-2003, 02:11 PM
webcarconnection

Originally posted by VQracer
So we now know that the stock intake pipe is restrictive from this experiment? Perhaps?
Its possible, I'm gonna use the car about 1000 miles more and test it again, Just in case!
Old 01-21-2003, 02:16 PM
menehune

sounds reasonable. the stock pipe has that ribbed portion that looks like it would affect airflow.
Old 01-21-2003, 11:37 PM
Wicked4u2c

Hello guys!

Great FIND! My buddy just got pulled over today and the cop made him pop his hood. He has an AEM intake and the cop was telling him that is Illegal and this and that... And that he must have the airbox. He said its ok to have the piping but he must have the airbox... So after seeing him getting hassled and what not, I decided to keep my car more stock looking. I may even anodize my pipe black to make it look oem. Just a thought. Good find though!
Old 01-22-2003, 01:06 AM
z461

Hello guys!

Awesome find man... Can you give us some results once you find out?
Old 01-22-2003, 05:22 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

So did the Injen pipe bolt right onto the stock airbox? how about the length, is it perfect?

If this works, I wonder if Injen sells just the intake pipe?
Old 01-22-2003, 06:02 AM
12SecZ

Default A CAI is illegal?

First I heard of that. Was this guy racing? What probable cause did this officer have to make this guy "pop his hood"

Cops are not mechanics last tiem I checked.

I'm not popping my hood for no one but friends without PC (probable cause)
Old 01-22-2003, 08:28 AM
webcarconnection

Originally posted by Apexi350z
So did the Injen pipe bolt right onto the stock airbox? how about the length, is it perfect?

If this works, I wonder if Injen sells just the intake pipe?
Yes its works perfect, just remove the stock pipe and put the injen.
Old 01-22-2003, 08:30 AM
webcarconnection

Originally posted by z461
Awesome find man... Can you give us some results once you find out?
I post pics. soon and keep you update!
Old 01-22-2003, 09:47 AM
McDan

Hello guys!

What did your car dyno (SAE) before any mods? I don't buy the power increase from just the replaced tube one bit.

Dan
Old 01-22-2003, 11:54 AM
webcarconnection

Originally posted by McDan
What did your car dyno (SAE) before any mods? I don't buy the power increase from just the replaced tube one bit.

Dan
I already post it, 246 stock 249 pre-selencer remove and 259 w the injen install ( all in 5th gear)
Old 01-22-2003, 12:23 PM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: A CAI is illegal?

Originally posted by MaxHax
First I heard of that. Was this guy racing? What probable cause did this officer have to make this guy "pop his hood"

Cops are not mechanics last tiem I checked.

I'm not popping my hood for no one but friends without PC (probable cause)
As far as I can tell, this cop is wrong. Article 2 § § 27150-27158.5 of the California Vehicle Code discusses exhaust and its modification:

Modification of Exhaust Systems

27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of ( )1 the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). ( )2 No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.

(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment.

Amended Sec. 10, Ch. 92, Stats. 2001. Effective January 1, 2002.
The 2001 amendment added the italicized material, and at the point(s) indicated, deleted the following:
“such”
“of this chapter”

I find nothing in the vehicle code regarding intake modifications. Intake is, obviously, not exhaust.

p.s. None of the above is, nor should be construed, as legal advice.
Old 01-30-2003, 03:42 PM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Lets hear more about this...

Anyone else running just the injen tube?

If this is the case, we could all possibly get away with the same performance with a cheaper price if we just replace the tube.

Maybe the JIC intake is a better alternative?
Old 01-30-2003, 03:50 PM
zogan

Hello guys!

what did it sound like?? so you removed the front pipe which gives you the CAI, the same pipe that you are supposed to remove your bumper to install??? Why is this a better mod then one before?? Just wondering thanks
Old 01-30-2003, 07:36 PM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

Originally posted by zogan
what did it sound like?? so you removed the front pipe which gives you the CAI, the same pipe that you are supposed to remove your bumper to install??? Why is this a better mod then one before?? Just wondering thanks
if you remove the front pipe, it's still CAI. The factory air box is actually sucking in cold air from outside the engine bay, so it's cooler. I would think the sound is louder since the alumnium pipe resonate the sound more than rubber
Old 01-30-2003, 07:47 PM
slaponte

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Agreed

I agree. The seal on the hood and setup indicates the stock intake IS a CAI already. It takes air from the same place where the full Injen does.

I thought the Injen was just removing restrictions with a wider/smother pipe and the airbox. If with the airbox installed the diff is just one HP, many people might slect to keep their airbox.

Only thing is it has the K&N, and I am one of those who fears the oil getting on the flow meter and messing it up. I used to get the same warnings about the K&N on my Thunderbird and DID have to replace the airflow meter after a few thousand miles....

Óf course, I don't think just the pipe is worth $250...
Old 01-30-2003, 07:55 PM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

Maybe that's why Injen doesn't sell their intake parts seperately..

Like they don't sell their black hoses seperately, etc..

If we can just buy the pipe for less than $100, then where will they make the money?

maybe someone can fabricate similar pipe and sell it on this forum?
Old 01-30-2003, 08:10 PM
Mr Fairlady

How much are INJENs'; going for now???
<------Have no clue
damn,...259 & 245,..thats the BEST Dyno #'s I've seen yet from a Z,....hmmm,.might have to do that!!!

that was in 5th gear correct?

Whos' got a link or pic of the JIC one,..and you need to hook us up on your pic's!!!!

Nice find!

Quick Reply: Important News about INJEN!!!