Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

MREV V2 Independent Dyno Tested on Bone Stock 287HP Motor (Wired 24/7's 05 Touring)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 12:06 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by one350zfan
Thats cool! I don't mean to hate, but we're just having allot more success with your spacer than mrev2. If its not too much trouble, can someone pm me these dyno sheets? We did a ton of data logging and tuning with the mrev2 on my buddy's car(on utec with tuner) so maybe its time to hit a dyno to see if we can squeeze more out of it!
You have got to be kidding, the dynos are in this thread. Look for them please.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:03 PM
one350zfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by amG35
You haven't answered my questions, neither about the specific plot I am referring to, nor about the Crawford combo. I can assure you that I have read all the threads concerning the MREV-2 and to this point only 1 person, wren57, has answered the Crawford question with any facts not conjecture. As far as your tune assertion, while I agree, any G35 will benefit from a tune. Also, I ask the questions to solicit responses from those that have empirical data to offer, not necessarily from dyno plots. Dyno plots may indicate a loss/gain, but how do they translate to the experience behind the wheel? These questions don't get answered unless they ae asked.
See, this is what I'm referring to! Dynos be damn, Ztampa and I have done before and after races with spacers and mrev2's and both experienced better results when the spacer was added. Although, mrev2's were added after all other bolt-on's(besides my skunk2) so maybe thats why its not performing as well as we thought it should. Wired 24/7, you said the best bang for your buck is the mrev2 over the spacer and I'm just letting people know that in OUR case that just wasn't true, especially when you can buy used spacers for around $100. I'm going to do a search on peoples reactions to the mrev2 seeing thats theirs probably over 100 of them installed already to get more anecdotal evidence. Also, I did go on motordynes website and looked at those dyno's while I wait for more independent dyno's.

So far i've read someone on this thread say they felt a little torque down low and made thier pop-charger louder. Thats a far cry from reactions posted by members after spacer installs.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:56 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

One thing I believe is we can expect greater variability with the MREV. The spacers are very precise in their thickness. But the sand casting process of the stock lower collectors is much less precise.

1) The modification to the lower plenum is, in part, done with power hand tools. So there can be some variation there but I don't get the feeling this is it.

2) The lower plenum itself comes from Nissan with considerable variation due to the sand casting process. If for example the intake runners are cast with diameter having a tolerance of +/-0.015", that could make a significant difference too.

I don't know the sensitivity of either of these variables but I believe #2 has the most potential for variability. Changing the diameter even slightly will rapidly change the air velocity. And I have seen so many lower collectors I know how much they can vary even when brand new straight from Nissan.

The other variable is the Butt dyno.... But this doesn't need much explanation. There was one guy in NY who installed his MREV+ on the dyno and made MASSIVE gains. (You can see his plot on our website) But when he drove home he couldn't feel it?... It was the plot with the largest gains ever posted for a NA bolt on. ~20HP and 30TQ. Some people are more sensitive than others I guess.

Just a thought...

/EDIT: Also, Every car can react differently to the same mod. Every spacer is exactly the same when they are manufactured but different people have had different dyno results. They all make gains, but the results are never exactly the same.

One other variable on the anecdotal evidence... there have been thousands of spacers sold. MREV's are only in the hundreds... This may be why there is so much more talk of spacer gains.

Last edited by Hydrazine; 07-23-2006 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:40 PM
Road Warrior

See, this is what I'm referring to! Dynos be damn, Ztampa and I have done before and after races with spacers and mrev2's and both experienced better results when the spacer was added. Although, mrev2's were added after all other bolt-on's(besides my skunk2) so maybe thats why its not performing as well as we thought it should. Wired 24/7, you said the best bang for your buck is the mrev2 over the spacer and I'm just letting people know that in OUR case that just wasn't true, especially when you can buy used spacers for around $100. I'm going to do a search on peoples reactions to the mrev2 seeing thats theirs probably over 100 of them installed already to get more anecdotal evidence. Also, I did go on motordynes website and looked at those dyno's while I wait for more independent dyno's.

So far i've read someone on this thread say they felt a little torque down low and made thier pop-charger louder. Thats a far cry from reactions posted by members after spacer installs.
can you post dynos to back up your claims...there are way to many variables when you just race each other in your cars and say one is better than the other. maybe those used spacers are from people that upgraded to the mrev+v2. not saying that that spacer isn't a great mod, but the dynos pretty much tell the story....and you can get all of them in this thread!
Old 07-23-2006, 09:34 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Wired 24/7, you said the best bang for your buck is the mrev2 over the spacer and I'm just letting people know that in OUR case that just wasn't true, especially when you can buy used spacers for around $100. I'm going to do a search on peoples reactions to the mrev2 seeing thats theirs probably over 100 of them installed already to get more anecdotal evidence. Also, I did go on motordynes website and looked at those dyno's while I wait for more independent dyno's.

I can respect that, but whatever I posted in this thread is just one man's opinion (except where I stated facts).
Old 07-24-2006, 04:12 AM
ZLadie2000
Banned

[QUOTE=Hydrazine]One thing I believe is we can expect greater variability with the MREV. The spacers are very precise in their thickness. But the sand casting process of the stock lower collectors is much less precise.

1) The modification to the lower plenum is, in part, done with power hand tools. So there can be some variation there but I don't get the feeling this is it.

2) The lower plenum itself comes from Nissan with considerable variation due to the sand casting process. If for example the intake runners are cast with diameter having a tolerance of +/-0.015", that could make a significant difference too.
QUOTE]

Hydrazine, What type of Quality Control methods does Motordyne Engineering have in place that prevent the variability that may be caused by a human performing the maching on the lower collectors. Are they inspected by someone other than the one doing the machining prior to shipping? Are you using the same person for the machining? We know that you cannot control what Nissan manufactures but you can control entirely your special process, and I was wondering if you could elaborate on what Quality system you have in place?

Thanks,
Priscilla
Old 07-24-2006, 07:46 AM
one350zfan

Originally Posted by Road Warrior
can you post dynos to back up your claims...there are way to many variables when you just race each other in your cars and say one is better than the other. maybe those used spacers are from people that upgraded to the mrev+v2. not saying that that spacer isn't a great mod, but the dynos pretty much tell the story....and you can get all of them in this thread!
I didn't know I had to have dyno's before I could share my experience with either of these mods? You know, I've seen dyno's showing crank pulleys making 8 hp throughout the whole power band. Do you agree with those gains?

Also, I stated my opinions to be anecdotal and nothing else.

Lastly, as much as I race Ztampa, thats the only way I judge any mod I do to my car! Are their no variables in dyno's?
Old 07-24-2006, 08:02 AM
one350zfan

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
I can respect that, but whatever I posted in this thread is just one man's opinion (except where I stated facts).
I appreciate the research you have done for the rest of us on this site concerning this mod. I also understand the time and effort that goes into it and realize thats the reason I can only share my anecdotal evidence.
Keep it up!
Old 07-24-2006, 08:12 AM
Road Warrior

I didn't know I had to have dyno's before I could share my experience with either of these mods? You know, I've seen dyno's showing crank pulleys making 8 hp throughout the whole power band. Do you agree with those gains?

Also, I stated my opinions to be anecdotal and nothing else.

Lastly, as much as I race Ztampa, thats the only way I judge any mod I do to my car! Are their no variables in dyno's?
wasn't trying to diss you there but let's be realistic here....yes there are variables in dyno tuning but we already know that and these variables are factored into the results for accuracy. the butt dyno has the placebo variable as well....we all think our cars are faster after we make a modification . hey if it works for you than more power to you...
Old 07-24-2006, 08:20 AM
one350zfan

Originally Posted by Road Warrior
wasn't trying to diss you there but let's be realistic here....yes there are variables in dyno tuning but we already know that and these variables are factored into the results for accuracy. the butt dyno has the placebo variable as well....we all think our cars are faster after we make a modification . hey if it works for you than more power to you...
Well, placebo wasn't there for me when I installed the mrev2, sun hyper-force system, or exhaust. However, it was there for my pop-charger, spacer and test pipes. I guess I have selective placebo. Trust me, some of my mods made me say WTF!
Old 07-24-2006, 08:24 AM
Road Warrior

Well, placebo wasn't there for me when I installed the mrev2, sun hyper-force system, or exhaust. However, it was there for my pop-charger, spacer and test pipes. I guess I have selective placebo. Trust me, some of my mods made me say WTF!
i agree with you on that one, i noticed a difference when i changed out my hf cats the most out of all my mods. the other big difference was my plenum spacer and eventually my modified plenum.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:21 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

[quote=ZLadie2000]
Originally Posted by Hydrazine
One thing I believe is we can expect greater variability with the MREV. The spacers are very precise in their thickness. But the sand casting process of the stock lower collectors is much less precise.

QUOTE]

Hydrazine, What type of Quality Control methods does Motordyne Engineering have in place that prevent the variability that may be caused by a human performing the maching on the lower collectors. Are they inspected by someone other than the one doing the machining prior to shipping? Are you using the same person for the machining? We know that you cannot control what Nissan manufactures but you can control entirely your special process, and I was wondering if you could elaborate on what Quality system you have in place?

Thanks,
Priscilla
Hi Priscilla,

They are all made by the same team of people, they are very aware of what I want done to them and I personally inspect each one before it goes out.

Last edited by Hydrazine; 07-24-2006 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:27 PM
FairLadeeeZ

Whats the status on the dyno after tune Wired?
Old 07-27-2006, 09:01 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Originally Posted by FairLadeeeZ
Whats the status on the dyno after tune Wired?
My boss just went on a vacation...I think I'll be able to find some time very soon
Old 07-27-2006, 01:01 PM
FairLadeeeZ

Git err done!!
Old 08-24-2006, 12:06 PM
ZLadie2000
Banned

WIRED? Any progress? on the dyno?
Old 08-24-2006, 01:07 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Wow, 1 month already went by? Here's the main issue... for some reason, my greddy EU or autosport harness is causing the coolant temps to read lower than normal. Since this can affect when the car decides to turn on the radiator fans etc, as well as throwing a code, I have been trying to resolve the issue before proceeding. I have contacted the manufacturer of the autosport harness and he agreed to fix or replace it if that turns out to be the problem.

I think I have the issue almost ironed out. But just to be sure, I think I am going to get the AAM cipher and double check data logs of before and after the EU installation

I also had the rear axle clicking TSB, which I finally got fixed at Perf. Nissan. This weekend I plan to swap out the tranny fluid and diff fluid and install cats if possible.

I have the cats and gaskets ready to go, just need to see if my wrench extensions will reach all the bolts.

I know this is going slow... painfully slow, and I definitely thought I would've had everything completed by now.

Sorry if this all sounds like excuses but my real life won't stop intervening. Not to mention I was short on cash for a time being but everything is cool now.

Also thinking about getting a new clutch/flywheel...if I can get a deal on the install.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:39 PM
ZLadie2000
Banned

How's it going with resolving ^^ these issues man?
Old 09-07-2006, 04:14 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received cipher in the mail today, I'm going to datalog some before and after installation of the EU coolant temp readings ASAP (tonight?). Also if you saw my other thread I posted today, I am just about ready to install the new cats if I can get some extensions.

Probably doing the tranny / diff fluid this weekend. Last weekend was a bust, way too busy.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:34 AM
Road Warrior

can anyone recap this thread

based on dynos....the best bang for the buck on 287 motor is mrev2 and motordyne 5/16 spacer?

what value does having crawford plenum and mrev2...or is the spacer better for performance?

for my application...this would be with a tune

thanks in advance all

Last edited by Road Warrior; 09-12-2006 at 09:39 AM.

Quick Reply: MREV V2 Independent Dyno Tested on Bone Stock 287HP Motor (Wired 24/7's 05 Touring)