Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

MREV V2 Independent Dyno Tested on Bone Stock 287HP Motor (Wired 24/7's 05 Touring)

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 09:49 AM
ZLadie2000
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But it's still worth you keeping your popcharger right Mike?
Old 10-17-2006, 09:55 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ZLadie2000
But it's still worth you keeping your popcharger right Mike?

I want to pick up and install a 2006 airbox, since it's a better design than 03-05, then I will try to hack apart my 05 airbox to retrofit the popcharger ring into it. If it's a success then I'll install the popcharger-modified box... if not, then I will keep the 06 box...
Old 10-17-2006, 10:17 AM
Road Warrior

wired...didn't you do some testing with airflow on the pop charger and stock airbox. i recall the pop charger only had a slight advantage in some areas and visa versa.

i would like to see the same tests done when you get your 06 airbox and then see how it compares to the pop charger. also interested in your hybrid design too and see what the results on that would be.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:39 AM
ZLadie2000
Banned

^^ Me too!!
Old 10-17-2006, 11:46 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

OK I'll do some more comparisons once I get my hands on an 06 airbox.

All I did was take the 8 most recent WOT runs to redline with the popcharger, versus the 8 most recent WOT runs with the 05 airbox.

Sometimes the airbox wins, sometimes the popcharger wins, but on average the popcharger gave higher MAF readings. This was done at the same ambient air temperature plus or minus about 3 degrees C.

Last edited by Wired 24/7; 10-17-2006 at 11:48 AM.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:12 PM
Biochem7
Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
OK I'll do some more comparisons once I get my hands on an 06 airbox.

All I did was take the 8 most recent WOT runs to redline with the popcharger, versus the 8 most recent WOT runs with the 05 airbox.

Sometimes the airbox wins, sometimes the popcharger wins, but on average the popcharger gave higher MAF readings. This was done at the same ambient air temperature plus or minus about 3 degrees C.

I think the real problem with the POP charger is heat soak. So do these higher MAF readings really mean anything performance wise.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:28 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Originally Posted by Biochem7
I think the real problem with the POP charger is heat soak. So do these higher MAF readings really mean anything performance wise.
Heat soak only affects the popcharger at very low speeds and at idle. I have seen this using the cipher tool...

At cruising speeds it reads the same temperature as the stock box. MAYBE 1 degree C increase.

Higher MAF = more air = more power.

The intake air temperature may affect spark timing on the ECU, but not how much fuel it injects (95% sure about this).

Let's say you drag race. Your engine starts out heat soaked. 1st and 2nd gear go by pretty quickly, and by 3rd gear the intake air temp is already at ambient. This was with the stock airbox. I haven't had a chance to test it with the popcharger but it should not be much different.

Another interesting thing you should note is, if you have the A/C running, the radiator fans blow hot air into the popcharger. I have seen this on cipher: EVERY time the fans come on, intake temp skyrockets while the coolant temperature decreases. With the stock airbox the air blows past the closed part of the box, so the fans have less of an effect.

If you can stop the radiator fans from coming on (by not using A/C, and if you don't idle for a long time), your intake temp won't be that bad. This is why people turn their heaters on full blast when they drag race, it removes hot air from the engine bay and may keep the fans from coming on.

Last edited by Wired 24/7; 10-17-2006 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:09 AM
03znj
Know it all

Will this work on an 03?
Old 10-28-2006, 09:05 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Originally Posted by 03znj
Will this work on an 03?
Yep !
Old 11-09-2006, 12:54 PM
sundawg

holy **** i just took 20 mins to read through this whole thread and i think im a lot more in tune as what to do... i have no plan in the future to tune the car(unless in the far future) so i believe i will be getting the mrev2 on my 03 track, this will just replace the lower collector and i will be sending my old one back and get the rebate correct?.. i just have a few questions...

1, lets say money isn't a issue, should i buy the mrev2 and the 5/16spacer wit iso thermal kit(no tune) and will this result in overall better performance then mrev2 witout the spacer..? i knoe that spacer was a great mod on my old z just by itself so i was thinking the spacerNmrev2 combo would work great together...

2.how long is the install versus the spacer, i installed the spacer on my old z n it took about an hour or two...just trying to see what all tools would i need and an approximate install time

3. wuts the totall cost for the mrev2 and mrev2 wit spacer combo shipped to 95242, wuts the cheapest place to get it...
Old 11-13-2006, 11:13 AM
Road Warrior

you would benefit even more with a tune...but it is a nice jump in hp without one.

the install should only be about 15-30 minutes after you have removed the upper...there are only 6 bolts and two nuts mounting the lower plenum (mrev2)
Old 11-13-2006, 02:01 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Originally Posted by sundawg
holy **** i just took 20 mins to read through this whole thread and i think im a lot more in tune as what to do... i have no plan in the future to tune the car(unless in the far future) so i believe i will be getting the mrev2 on my 03 track, this will just replace the lower collector and i will be sending my old one back and get the rebate correct?.. i just have a few questions...

1, lets say money isn't a issue, should i buy the mrev2 and the 5/16spacer wit iso thermal kit(no tune) and will this result in overall better performance then mrev2 witout the spacer..? i knoe that spacer was a great mod on my old z just by itself so i was thinking the spacerNmrev2 combo would work great together...

2.how long is the install versus the spacer, i installed the spacer on my old z n it took about an hour or two...just trying to see what all tools would i need and an approximate install time

3. wuts the totall cost for the mrev2 and mrev2 wit spacer combo shipped to 95242, wuts the cheapest place to get it...
1. I think you'll be fine with EITHER just the mrev2 or the 5/16" spacer. Since you have the non-revup motor, it helps a little to have both, but not for the cost involved.

2. Several threads have been posted about installation, try searching for them

3. Not the place to ask about price etc. Try looking at performance nissan mynismo.com
Old 11-18-2006, 06:39 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

This is true.

On a non revup without a reflash or tune, just do one or the other.

If you have a REVUP, absolutely, positively do both the spacer and MREV2 together. Together, they make much better gains.

The magazine "Import Tuner" will be featuring a REVUP dyno test article on the MREV2/spacer in their mag. Check it out to see the dyno results. Good stuff.

Last edited by Hydrazine; 11-18-2006 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:53 PM
R350Zsc

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
Well true, this combination makes good gains. But wait until I get my hands on the dynos of Baseline versus MREV V2 with no spacer.

The spacer actually does help, but only a little, because the flow of MREV V2 is already that much better than stock.

The truth of the matter is that once I put the spacer on, the ECU pulled timing to avoid knock. If you have access to something better than 91 octane then you will make better power from this mod because the ECU will not pull timing.

I put in 8 gallons of 100 octane this weekend and it feels GREAT

Note: 8 gallons of 100 octane + 12 gallons of 91 octane = 94.6 octane. Nothing too extreme...

If you have engine management, you will also make much better power from this mod. Where the A/F curve hits 15 (which means "actual" AFR is 14) you can make better power by getting more fuel into the engine. So a tune could help out a lot.

Just some stuff to think about.
Dont think both is worth it for non revup. But if you have a non rev up would you say to go with the MREV V2 over the 5/16?

Last edited by R350Zsc; 12-13-2006 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:47 PM
ZLadie2000
Banned

Originally Posted by R350Zsc
Dont think both is worth it for non revup. But if you have a non rev up would you say to go with the MREV V2 over the 5/16?
Non revup go with MREV 2 for more area under the curve (more torque you can feel in daily driving). Spacer on a nonrevup should get you more top end (higher peak hp and is better for drag racing). Personally, I am going with both spacer and MREv2 on my nonrevup because I am installing a UTEC and once I get that tuned I should be able to get total of about 20-25whp for everything. Cant wait to get the UTEC. I had the spacer on first and noticed a wonderful difference in acceleration past 3500rpm, then when I put the MREV2 didnt notice much of a difference....that is until I get tune. The MREV2 and spacer combo on nonrevups really leans out the airfuel ratio and you will most likely need a tune especialliy if you have other mods such as intake and exhaust.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:11 PM
dutchboy350Z
Finally some go

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bringing this thread back to life.

I have a bone stock non-revup engine (stock exhaust). I have a 5/8" skunk2 plenum spacer (I got it for $110 still new in the box) and Injen CAI waiting to be installed. I was contemplating the MREV 2 purchase but after reading all 14 pages I will probably not go that route.

I've read quite a few opinions on stock box vs. Popcharger in relation to the MREV 2 and plenum spacers, but nothing on the Cold Air Intakes comparison (any observations?).

I'm also contemplating getting Strup Headers installed.

My main question is (sorry if this is off-topic) how does a Skunk2 plenum spacer, CAI Injen, and Strup Header combo sound? Will the headers have a useful (noticable) performance impact with the spacer/CAI and vice versa?

FYI I Also bought a Unichip last spring and will eventually install it and get it tuned. Also I only put 93 octane in my Z.

Last edited by dutchboy350Z; 02-15-2007 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:16 PM
blasian

Originally Posted by dutchboy350Z
Bringing this thread back to life.

I have a bone stock non-revup engine (stock exhaust). I have a 5/8" skunk2 plenum spacer and Injen CAI waiting to be installed. I was contemplating the MREV 2 purchase but after reading all 14 pages I will probably not go that route.

I've read quite a few opinions on stock box vs. Popcharger, but nothing on the Cold Air Intakes comparison (any observations?).

I'm also contemplating getting Strup Headers installed.

My main question is (sorry if this is off-topic) how does a Skunk2 plenum spacer, CAI Injen, and Strup Header combo sound? Will the headers have a useful (noticable) performance impact with the spacer/CAI and vice versa?

FYI I Also bought a Unichip last spring and will eventually install it and get it tuned.
Nobody mentioned CAIs because not many people recommend using them... They tend to lose power before they gain them.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:04 PM
dutchboy350Z
Finally some go

Originally Posted by blasian
Nobody mentioned CAIs because not many people recommend using them... They tend to lose power before they gain them.
From all the reading I've done on intakes it seems any aftermarket intake is more for show and sound then for performance. One of my fellow Mid-A members gave me (for free) his CAI Injen intake because he was gettign a ST TN kit. Otherwise I would have just stuck with my stock airbox.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:09 PM
blasian

Originally Posted by dutchboy350Z
From all the reading I've done on intakes it seems any aftermarket intake is more for show and sound then for performance. One of my fellow Mid-A members gave me (for free) his CAI Injen intake because he was gettign a ST TN kit. Otherwise I would have just stuck with my stock airbox.
You could turn it into a short ram
Old 02-15-2007, 02:13 PM
dutchboy350Z
Finally some go

Originally Posted by blasian
You could turn it into a short ram
Without destroying it?

Quick Reply: MREV V2 Independent Dyno Tested on Bone Stock 287HP Motor (Wired 24/7's 05 Touring)