Old 05-23-2006, 09:46 AM
Ayankees2772
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

INJEN SES baby!
Old 05-23-2006, 09:52 AM
pecora55

Go with the HKS Dual HI-Power Ti Exhaust... You will love it! Its not too cheap though... Got mine for an awesome price so I couldn't pass it up... Well below $1400

My brother has an 03 with a magnaflow exhaust on it...He got in mine this past weekend and loves my exhaust...He wants one now
Old 05-23-2006, 10:19 AM
pikapp168

So a True Dual is 50 state legal? I just want to pass emissions thats all. LOL! I was kinda sold on Nismo but from what all you are saying is that Nismo isn't TD and that TD is better. I read the Borla site and it seemed to make pleanty of since. So now the question is Borla or HKS? Which Borla is the best? Are there different models? Much help please! THanks again everyone! Does the HKS have those huge canisters? I am not a fan of them but like the exhaust openning to be huge!
Old 05-23-2006, 10:27 AM
pikapp168

also, I forgot...if I were to go Borla would I need to get resinated test pipes? Everyone keeps mentioning them, and I have no idea if that comes with the exhaust or is that something you have to buy extra. What are the plus/minus of them?
Old 05-23-2006, 11:06 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pikapp168
also, I forgot...if I were to go Borla would I need to get resinated test pipes? Everyone keeps mentioning them, and I have no idea if that comes with the exhaust or is that something you have to buy extra. What are the plus/minus of them?
Search
Old 05-23-2006, 12:55 PM
DG350Z

There are 2 borla exhausts for the Z, one is TD, the other is not. Most people get the TD (and most would also recommend it). As to the question of resonated vs. non resonated, I have Borla TD with NON resonated TPs and will be posting sound clips in the next few days, simply put I love it, but you judge for yourself. Tons of borla exhausts go on sale in the classifieds (under "Marketplace")...no point in buying one new when you can get a used borla TD for $500.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:50 AM
pikapp168

Originally Posted by DG350Z
There are 2 borla exhausts for the Z, one is TD, the other is not. Most people get the TD (and most would also recommend it). As to the question of resonated vs. non resonated, I have Borla TD with NON resonated TPs and will be posting sound clips in the next few days, simply put I love it, but you judge for yourself. Tons of borla exhausts go on sale in the classifieds (under "Marketplace")...no point in buying one new when you can get a used borla TD for $500.
What is the benefit of of resonated vs nonresonated? In gains or losses? If sound is the only difference then why would I want to spend more money for something that does nothing but sound louder? Thanks again for the help.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:05 AM
pikapp168

I spoke with a close friend of mine who owns a Honda shop. I trust his opinions on things and he said the if I went with the True Dual (removing the catalitic converter then I would not pass emissions where I live. He drives a sick S2000, and is an older guy that I trust. Now my decision is this. Which should I go with Nismo which is 1100$ installed at Nissan, Borla or Stillen.
I am kinda leaning towards Nismo or Borla, but can I get resonated test pipes on either one of these? I want my car to growl and sound deep in sound. So I have trusted you all before when it came to the Popcharger vs the CAI and you all were right and I got the JWT popcharger, so what is your suggestion now?
Old 05-25-2006, 10:37 AM
ANXIOUZ

All 3 of those exhausts are great. I have the JWT and the Borla TD. It's a great combo IMO. Many people are running this setup and like it.

If you can afford the Nismo I would get that. You can get a used Borla for half the price though and that was a consideration for me choosing the Borla.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:14 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

I spoke with a close friend of mine who owns a Honda shop. I trust his opinions on things and he said the if I went with the True Dual (removing the catalitic converter then I would not pass emissions where I live. He drives a sick S2000, and is an older guy that I trust. Now my decision is this. Which should I go with Nismo which is 1100$ installed at Nissan, Borla or Stillen.
I am kinda leaning towards Nismo or Borla, but can I get resonated test pipes on either one of these? I want my car to growl and sound deep in sound. So I have trusted you all before when it came to the Popcharger vs the CAI and you all were right and I got the JWT popcharger, so what is your suggestion now?
Just reading this post tells me that you and your friend have no idea what either of you are talking about.

I recommend you read up more. You can do this by browsing old threads, using the search function (mentioned several times in this thread), looking at the service manual for the 350Z (easy to find if you search), and shopping at different vendors' websites.

For the record, I was a noob once and I probably asked some dumb questions at one point or the other. But luckily I still haven't dumped over 1k into an exhaust yet, after 1 year of ownership (even though I started thinking about it weeks after buying the car). WHY haven't I? Because I learned how to search. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Wired 24/7; 05-25-2006 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:35 AM
pikapp168

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
Just reading this post tells me that you and your friend have no idea what either of you are talking about.

I recommend you read up more. You can do this by browsing old threads, using the search function (mentioned several times in this thread), looking at the service manual for the 350Z (easy to find if you search), and shopping at different vendors' websites.

For the record, I was a noob once and I probably asked some dumb questions at one point or the other. But luckily I still haven't dumped over 1k into an exhaust yet, after 1 year of ownership (even though I started thinking about it weeks after buying the car). WHY haven't I? Because I learned how to search. Hope this helps.
so because you searched means that you came to a conculsion that exhausts are a waste of money???? That post of yours at the end made no sense. I called Borla directly and asked him about the passing emissions and the rep said that they are based out of California and California's emmissions so I should no problem with the TD Borla. I think that is the way I am going to go.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:36 PM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you get the Nismo get a big mallet to straigthen out the left exhaust tip.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:47 PM
Beeker

pikapp168, I am going to try to help you out.

Test pipes replace the catalytic converters. They are not part of a "cat back" exhaust system. Thats what "cat back" means, all the parts from the cats, back to the tail pipes.

A 350z exhaust goes in the following order -- headers, cats, y-pipe, b-pipe, muffler then the tips. Most cat backs, like the Nismo, come with everything from the cats back. Including a new Y-pipe. Some single exhausts don't come with a replacement y-pipe so the stock one is used.

True Dual exhausts bolt right up to the cats. Since there are two pipes going all the way back to the muffler/mufflers there is no Y-pipe.

Replacing the stock cats with test pipes will dramatically increase the sound. Test pipes are basically hollow pipes. Resonated test pipes have resonators installed to help cut down on rasp. Hi flow cats will increase the sound as well but not as much as test pipes.

What I recommend you do is try to hear some different set ups in person. Then get the setup you like. I would also recommend that you start with the exhaust first to see how it sounds. If it isn't loud enough for you then install a set of test pipes or hi flows. I can tell you that I think the Borla sounds great with the stock cats. Just loud enough for my tastes. I also have headers installed but I don't think they change the sound much. Some people think the Borla is too quiet with the stock cats. And some hate the Borla all together. Thats why you should try to listen to different setups. What sounds good to me may sound awful to someone else.

Changing the exhaust from the cats back shouldn't give you a problem passing an emissions test. If you install a loud exhaust then you could run into a problem with noise pollution but that is unlikely with the stock cats installed. Changing out your cats to test pipes will definately cause you to fail an emission test. Most hi flow cats should pass an emission test but passing a visual test, if your area does that, is a different story.

I hope this helps you out.

Last edited by Beeker; 05-25-2006 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:31 PM
Chineseguy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well i just got a Single exit Ti exhaust and it works Great. It weighs near 13 pounds and the weight saved, i felt the difference. It loud if you really want attention. Performance wise i "think" that single exhaust gives gains and lose weight. (weight is a 350z's main problem i believe) alot more easy to install and less hangers to worry about. If your really intrestedd in single PM and ill send u some pics and sound clips
Old 05-25-2006, 10:56 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

i can't believe this guy hasn't been flamed yet.. wow.. i'm kinda getting disappointed now.. anyway.. some great responses in this thread (beeker).. consider yourself lucky pikapp168
Old 05-25-2006, 11:02 PM
jaZon350

Yeah me too...im torn between the Nismo and HKS...i just dont know which to get...i heard the Nismo and it just has that sound that 350Zs only have...like if you hear it from behind you...you'll know its a 350Z or G35...and for the HKS...its just plain badass...angry exhaust...dunno...ill have to think about this one...haha...hope you do too...
Old 05-25-2006, 11:18 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

i dont know.. but HKS is definitely my fav... plus nismo is overrated/played out with all their products imo
Old 05-26-2006, 06:38 AM
03zsmith25

if you want "growl" as you say, get borla. it has the flowmaster-mustang-v8 truck sound. sounds good, but not for a Z IMO. you may love it. if you are like me and you love the stock sound and only want it a little louder and aggressive, go with Nismo or Fujitsubo. the Fujitsubo is absolutely rediculous sounding (exotic, aggressive, not too loud, etc.) go to the sticky on exhaust clips and there are tons of them in there.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:25 AM
Malic350

Thanks to all of you. This is helpin me out a great deal - so many different points and perspectives. This is really my first time having a car I truly love and wanting to upgrade it As my first nissan was hooked up but i had no idea what did what i just knew i paid a nice sum of money and someone put a turbo kit and exhaust on it lol. Glad he didn't get flamed as I had the same questions. Thanks to all of you for your very informative information.

Great question buddy - i hope our research gets us the right exhaust.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:29 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

so because you searched means that you came to a conculsion that exhausts are a waste of money???? That post of yours at the end made no sense. I called Borla directly and asked him about the passing emissions and the rep said that they are based out of California and California's emmissions so I should no problem with the TD Borla. I think that is the way I am going to go.
Waste of money? Depends on who you ask. Depends on what you have done to your car.

Tell me what you want to accomplish and I'll tell you if it's a waste of money.

A second ago you were posting how a true dual removes cats. Well, gee I guess you (and your trusted friend) were wrong.

Good thing you called Borla, that is also considered "Searching". See what you can learn?

Quick Reply: Exhaust Recomemdations..