Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Exhaust Recomemdations..

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 09:12 AM
pikapp168

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Beeker
pikapp168, I am going to try to help you out.

Test pipes replace the catalytic converters. They are not part of a "cat back" exhaust system. Thats what "cat back" means, all the parts from the cats, back to the tail pipes.

A 350z exhaust goes in the following order -- headers, cats, y-pipe, b-pipe, muffler then the tips. Most cat backs, like the Nismo, come with everything from the cats back. Including a new Y-pipe. Some single exhausts don't come with a replacement y-pipe so the stock one is used.

True Dual exhausts bolt right up to the cats. Since there are two pipes going all the way back to the muffler/mufflers there is no Y-pipe.

Replacing the stock cats with test pipes will dramatically increase the sound. Test pipes are basically hollow pipes. Resonated test pipes have resonators installed to help cut down on rasp. Hi flow cats will increase the sound as well but not as much as test pipes.

What I recommend you do is try to hear some different set ups in person. Then get the setup you like. I would also recommend that you start with the exhaust first to see how it sounds. If it isn't loud enough for you then install a set of test pipes or hi flows. I can tell you that I think the Borla sounds great with the stock cats. Just loud enough for my tastes. I also have headers installed but I don't think they change the sound much. Some people think the Borla is too quiet with the stock cats. And some hate the Borla all together. Thats why you should try to listen to different setups. What sounds good to me may sound awful to someone else.

Changing the exhaust from the cats back shouldn't give you a problem passing an emissions test. If you install a loud exhaust then you could run into a problem with noise pollution but that is unlikely with the stock cats installed. Changing out your cats to test pipes will definately cause you to fail an emission test. Most hi flow cats should pass an emission test but passing a visual test, if your area does that, is a different story.

I hope this helps you out.

First off Thank you for this great info Beeker. It seems my simple question and your post as well as others have helped mutiple people here. Your post helped clarify a few questions that I had. Is there any sites that show the gains/losses of a TD vs nonTD, and any place to see which has better Dynos the Nismo or the TD Borla. Thanks again for all your great info. Helping someone out seems sometimes harder than flaming them but helping someone makes you feel much better in the end. Thanks for your helpful post!
Old 05-26-2006, 09:30 AM
ANXIOUZ

Here ya go....
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust Recomemdations..-ex1.jpg   Exhaust Recomemdations..-ex2.jpg   Exhaust Recomemdations..-ex3.jpg  
Old 05-26-2006, 10:08 AM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

^ good post
Old 05-27-2006, 08:17 AM
Earl

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
^ good post
I wonder what Sport Z Magazine's legal team will have to say about it?
Old 05-27-2006, 08:51 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by maximXL
Here ya go....
Very informative. Like the noise numbers in decibels.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:59 AM
pikapp168

wow stillen has really good results! Hmm may have to look at what they got. Anyone have the Stillen TD exhaust? How do you like it?
Old 05-27-2006, 09:04 AM
pikapp168

great info thanks for the posts! Does anyone know if the tests on thoses forms were done on TD or regular? Would this have any different results?
Old 05-28-2006, 12:36 PM
ANXIOUZ

Originally Posted by Earl
I wonder what Sport Z Magazine's legal team will have to say about it?
I see it more as free advertising for their mag. I can't see them having a problem with Z enthusiasts admiring the fruits of their labor. Everyone knows they're one of the top sources of Z info.

pikapp - I know someone who had the Stillen before he went F/I. I loved it and he was really pleased with it as well.
Old 05-28-2006, 01:21 PM
Ayankees2772
Banned

Stillen is also the heavist. So be careful. I read this and i decided to go with the Injen Super Ses. Best bang for the buck, looks mean, sounds meaner, most tq gain for a td...good price and great quality...I love mine
Old 05-28-2006, 01:21 PM
Ayankees2772
Banned

Stillen is also the heavist. So be careful. I read this and i decided to go with the Injen Super Ses. Best bang for the buck, looks mean, sounds meaner, most tq gain for a td...good price and great quality...I love mine
Old 05-29-2006, 06:50 AM
Earl

Originally Posted by Ayankees2772
"most tq gain for a td"

Please provide the dyno results for this statement.

Also are you have the fiberglass blowout problem that was once common to the Injen SES exhaust?

Last edited by Earl; 05-29-2006 at 06:52 AM.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:17 AM
StarcraftBW

no brainer.......... the most expensive exhaust will give you the best result ........ stay aways from borla, many exhaust leak issues....
Old 05-29-2006, 09:40 AM
Cannysage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StarcraftBW
no brainer.......... the most expensive exhaust will give you the best result ............
+1
more money you spend on parts, better the gains. Only exception to the rule is my popcharger, which I gained like 57 WTFHP
Old 05-30-2006, 08:54 AM
pikapp168

Originally Posted by StarcraftBW
no brainer.......... the most expensive exhaust will give you the best result ........ stay aways from borla, many exhaust leak issues....

I hear nothing but good things from Borla. Strange, most people say they are a good company and have very little issues.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:02 AM
Beeker

Exhaust leaks are more likely with the Borla because it is a slip fit system. They do use very nice clamps though and if it is installed properly using a torque wrench a leak is unlikely. The most common place for a leak to occur is at the h-pipe. If that happens you can just bring the car to a muffler shop and have it welded. They would probably charge you like 20 bucks to weld the entire system.

So not buying the Borla because you are worried about a leak doesn't make sense. I can say installing the Borla is a much bigger P.I.A. then a normal bolt up system. But because it is a slip fit system it does allow lots of room for adjusting it to fit perfectly.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:02 AM
pikapp168

How many people have this issue? If the fast intentions guy was a little cheaper then maybe I'd consider going his route, but there aren't enough people signed up for hte 18 people so the 900+ price is out of the question, and the next price is almost 1200 so if I was going to spend that I'd get the Stillen. To many decissions to make.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:51 PM
WyattH

I am interested in the Borla for a few reasons: price, OEM type look, and sound description.
I was wondering if there were any dynos for this exhaust? I am not looking for major gains, but I am hoping mainly to not LOSE any low end power. I did this on my S2000 to compromise with more top end power, and it was a mistake. I don't want to do that again. I am not sure if that is more likely with a TD, though theory tells me it is. I wont have many mods, just intake and exhaust. A few HP/TQ gains across the RPM range would be nice, but don't need big numbers, especially at the sacrifice of any low-end. How does Borla fit in on this? Or anything else you guys would recommend? I want it a LITTLE louder than stock, deeper, no rasp, no drone, good quality and stylish tips, and not super pricey. A few lbs and a few hp isn't a major concern. From my searches, Borla seems best for me. Thanks!!
Old 05-31-2006, 07:54 PM
WyattH

Originally Posted by maximXL
Here ya go....
Ahhh thank you!!!
Answers some of my Qs above.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:41 AM
pikapp168

If what you say about Borla is true then I should maybe reconsider. I am tetter-totering between the Stillen and the Borla. Tuff decision. Price is what is killing me! Borla is more affoardable but the Stillen gets the most gains. Decisions decisions.....
Old 06-01-2006, 08:04 AM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

haha what? no fast intentions intimidator exhaust?

i read your post.. and i agree with you

Quick Reply: Exhaust Recomemdations..