Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Exhaust Recomemdations..

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 08:08 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont normally post on these type of threads but I see some people being jerks and I also see some people saying things that are a little off. Everyone has to start somewhere, and there becomes a point where searching does little good. If you don’t feel like helping then keep quiet. Don’t jump all over his case because he wants other’s opinions.

OK so I see that you have dropped the whole test pipe thing, that is good. You would have emission issues with those, and IMO they cheapen the sound of any exhaust.

Personally I think you would be most happy with the borla true dual. They dont have leak issues . . . yes they use several clamps and do show black deposits on the sleeves but it is not a real leak. They have a nice throaty deep sound compared to stock. It is not too heavy and showed nice gains. It is the best all around exhaust, IMO.

Stillen is heavy and sounds like butt, if you ask me. It is kinda buzzy.

If you want a unique sound, most of the Ti exhausts are exotic sounding but be prepared to pay. The Nismo does have an exotic sound too but it is more noisy and just louder than I really like. Its not bad if you leave the rest of the exhaust stock, but if you get headers and or cats/testpipes it becomes obnoxious.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:14 AM
03zsmith25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VandyZ
I dont normally post on these type of threads but I see some people being jerks and I also see some people saying things that are a little off. Everyone has to start somewhere, and there becomes a point where searching does little good. If you don’t feel like helping then keep quiet. Don’t jump all over his case because he wants other’s opinions.

OK so I see that you have dropped the whole test pipe thing, that is good. You would have emission issues with those, and IMO they cheapen the sound of any exhaust.

Personally I think you would be most happy with the borla true dual. They dont have leak issues . . . yes they use several clamps and do show black deposits on the sleeves but it is not a real leak. They have a nice throaty deep sound compared to stock. It is not too heavy and showed nice gains. It is the best all around exhaust, IMO.

Stillen is heavy and sounds like butt, if you ask me. It is kinda buzzy.

If you want a unique sound, most of the Ti exhausts are exotic sounding but be prepared to pay. The Nismo does have an exotic sound too but it is more noisy and just louder than I really like. Its not bad if you leave the rest of the exhaust stock, but if you get headers and or cats/testpipes it becomes obnoxious.

Hope this helps.
Have you heard a stock exhaust with the exception of cats/test pipes? I was looking to go this route. I would take the Nismo or definitely Fujitsubo, but for the money, I was wondering if just replacing the cats would improve much....
Old 06-01-2006, 08:15 AM
03zsmith25

^without being all raspy
Old 06-01-2006, 10:24 AM
VandyZ

Originally Posted by 03zsmith25
Have you heard a stock exhaust with the exception of cats/test pipes? I was looking to go this route. I would take the Nismo or definitely Fujitsubo, but for the money, I was wondering if just replacing the cats would improve much....
Yes I have. LOL The exhaust was the last thing I replaced as far as the exhaust track is concerned. Really I would not have changed it at all had I not been offered the JDM Fuji Ti. I have cut open a stock exhaust and it really is not restrictive. What you gain from aftermarket is pipe size and just a bit more flow from the muffler. I was satisfied with the stock sound and performance for a mildly modified car. The cats really made the stock exhaust a little meaner and a bit more growl.

Now for those with all kinds of mods (including myself) I would say more flow does help once you reach a certain point. For those of you that just want to have the most cost effective mod track, save the exhaust till last. Yes it is an easy install and it gives you some instant audible gratification, but in the scheme of things power per dollar it is not that great.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:10 PM
03zsmith25

Yes I have. LOL The exhaust was the last thing I replaced as far as the exhaust track is concerned. Really I would not have changed it at all had I not been offered the JDM Fuji Ti. I have cut open a stock exhaust and it really is not restrictive. What you gain from aftermarket is pipe size and just a bit more flow from the muffler. I was satisfied with the stock sound and performance for a mildly modified car. The cats really made the stock exhaust a little meaner and a bit more growl.

Now for those with all kinds of mods (including myself) I would say more flow does help once you reach a certain point. For those of you that just want to have the most cost effective mod track, save the exhaust till last. Yes it is an easy install and it gives you some instant audible gratification, but in the scheme of things power per dollar it is not that great.
Thanks for the reply. Im not very concerned with squeezing every bit of horsepower I can, however. Don't get me wrong; the more the better, but I know this isnt realistic to expect much at all from minor bolt-ons. I was just wondering if keeping the stock exhaust except for the cats and replacing them with HFC or test pipes would be a worthwhile mod as far as sound goes. If it makes it rasp and all, then forget it. But if the exhaust note is slightly amplified with a tad more volume and growl, then I am going to do this. I realize I will only get maybe 2-4 hp by doing this. Thanks.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:27 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

This is my theory too. You can check out my "mission statement" thread here
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....hlight=mission

Some people seem to understand what I'm trying to accomplish. Not everyone agrees with me. Some people think I'm a complete idiot. But it doesn't really matter, it's my car, not theirs.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:19 PM
WyattH

Interested updates since my last post.

What are the black deposits on the sleeves you mentioned with Borla? I am guessing you mean exhaust soot, but what are the sleeves?
Old 06-01-2006, 03:35 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by WyattH
Interested updates since my last post.

What are the black deposits on the sleeves you mentioned with Borla? I am guessing you mean exhaust soot, but what are the sleeves?
go look at how a borla system is put together. you can find a picture by finding some vendor who sells it. it is not put together with flanges like most exhaust systems...
Old 06-02-2006, 08:15 AM
pikapp168

Do you mean that if I go with Borla then its gonna shoot black smoke/deposit out of the rear exhaust exit? Does the exhaust tip blacken from this deposit?
Old 06-02-2006, 10:23 AM
pikapp168

I'm getting a quote for Stillen installed. It seems to have one of the best gains and looks good. I am also gonna see the price of the Borla to. The only thing I don't like about the Borla is the H pipe. From what I'm reading the X pipe is better. Any truth to that or is that just opinion?
Old 06-02-2006, 10:23 AM
VandyZ

Originally Posted by pikapp168
Do you mean that if I go with Borla then its gonna shoot black smoke/deposit out of the rear exhaust exit? Does the exhaust tip blacken from this deposit?
No . . .well all exhausts will leave black deposits on the inside of your tips, lol.

The borla is a slip fit with clamps. It is completely acceptable way of piecing an exhaust together. Because it is not welded at each of these points there naturally will be some deposits that exit at these fittings. Its not an exhaust leak, meaning you will not hear it and it wont make less power. I have the same black deposits on my gasketed flange connections on my exhaust. It is not an issue, just someone who doesn’t understand, trying to scare you.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:26 AM
pikapp168

Based off that Dyno scans the why would the Nismo perform better and provide more gains then the Borla?
Old 06-02-2006, 10:27 AM
VandyZ

I'm getting a quote for Stillen installed. It seems to have one of the best gains and looks good. I am also gonna see the price of the Borla to. The only thing I don't like about the Borla is the H pipe. From what I'm reading the X pipe is better. Any truth to that or is that just opinion?
The gains of the Stillen are completely negated by its weight so dont let that be the reason, lol. You should only get this if you like the sound, and like I said before . . .I personally think it sounds like crap. You should really find someone with it and listen so you dont get stuck with something you wont like. Same for the Nismo and borla.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:30 AM
pikapp168

The one exhaust that I haven't really looked at is the IGEN SES. How is it?
Seems like it has good gains.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:34 AM
VandyZ

Based off that Dyno scans the why would the Nismo perform better and provide more gains then the Borla?
I dont remember, but I do know based on real dynos you should only expect a legit 5-7 hp outa an exhaust. The results are so close when you take in account all the differnet factors you really should buy the one that looks and sounds the best to you.

For example I bought mine for 3 reasons weight,sound, and looks. It really had nothing to do with the power. When it comes down to it, they are all too close to really split hairs over.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:39 AM
VandyZ

The one exhaust that I haven't really looked at is the IGEN SES. How is it?
Seems like it has good gains.
I dont know if you have seen this. Now its not the greatest way to listen to them but its a start.

http://www.everything350z.com/exhaust.html
Old 06-02-2006, 10:43 AM
VandyZ

note i just listened to them again . . .the stillen doent sound bad in that clip haha but I did not like it in person. I dont know if it was because there was something different with the car, but anyway . . .lol.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:04 AM
pikapp168

Any thoughts on the Igen SES?
Old 06-02-2006, 11:21 AM
VandyZ

Any thoughts on the Igen SES?
Its loud, haha I know that. I have heard a few of them both the original angled and the newer straight tipped. I dont think much chaned besides the tip. I just remember it being loud. I think it made decent power and it was not too heavy. It uses the "can" type muffler. All those seem to be louder. Kinda hard to sneak up on people. :P
Old 06-02-2006, 12:04 PM
ROGUELITE
the Zbler eLf

wow stillen has really good results! Hmm may have to look at what they got. Anyone have the Stillen TD exhaust? How do you like it?
i have the stillen TD mated with Altered Atmosphere HFC's. i love it. good
gains and the sound is very nice. at idle sounds stock. when you hit it it's
a beast. but the overall sound also depends on other mods you have.

for example i'm also running a MDE plenum spacer and Injen Cai. but yeah
i am very pleased with it.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Recomemdations..