Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Exhaust Recomemdations..

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 09:13 AM
pikapp168

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Recomemdations..

I want to buy a exhaust for my 06 base z and not sure which one is the best.
I don't want to spend an arm and a leg but understand that you can't have everything cheap. I spoke with a guy at my nissan dealership and he said he could save me 10% plus shipping if I used him. What do you all recommend?
He can hook me up with a Nismo for 1100$ installed or I could go with someone else. He said he gets discounts from Stillen.com. I don't mind having a deep sounding exhaust.(kinda prefer it) The floor is yours gentlemen.....
Old 05-22-2006, 09:17 AM
esfand

oh jesus...... get ready!!!
Old 05-22-2006, 09:34 AM
pikapp168

lol like I said the floor is yours! I'm not a car genius so I tend to take the advice from the pros that actually have it and use it. I bought a JWT pop charger over the normal CAI and love it. I am glad you all are here. Thanks and sorry for the newbish post. I just thought you guys would be the best source of info.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:02 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://my350z.com/forum/search.php
Old 05-22-2006, 10:19 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I recommend that you:

a. Set a budget
b. Decide what configuration you want. Y-Pipe and single muffler? Dual from the catalytic converters back?
c. Buy an exhaust that suits your needs.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:20 AM
03zsmith25

not nearly as hot in here as i thought it would be.....the flame gods have looked favorably on you
Old 05-22-2006, 10:23 AM
esfand

Originally Posted by 03zsmith25
not nearly as hot in here as i thought it would be.....the flame gods have looked favorably on you
just wait.......
Old 05-22-2006, 10:24 AM
esfand

nismo for$1100 is a rip you can find it cheaper online
Old 05-22-2006, 10:28 AM
josh846

well 1100 installed isnt that bad really, the install is probably around 150, and online i think the lowest i have seen the nismo for is for around $950 give or take a few dollars. Shipped i would say at the least $950
Old 05-22-2006, 10:30 AM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

First off...

1. Do you want to stay with a dual or single exit exhaust?

2. What config/specs do you want? True Dual, Y-Pipe, H-Pipe, X-Pipe, Cat Back, Axle Back, 2.5", 3", 3.5", Stainless Steel, Titanium, etc...(Weight plays a big roll in this area.)

3. Budget? What is your range? Remember to also include installation costs unless you know how to do it yourself.

4. How loud do you want this thing to be? Some exhaust systems are louder than others. This is very subjective though & I highly recommend you "personally" hearing them first prior to making your decision. Sound clips give you a "general" idea but it does distort the sound. Attending one of your local meets or shops & talking to the owners is generally the best way to go . Remember, other mods such as cats/test pipes, headers, etc...will effect the overall sound (increasing db level, rasp, drone, etc...).

5. Another thing to consider is if you're going F/I since you may want to look at a system specifically for that application. I'm assuming you're not so I don't think you'll worry about this but it is worth mentioning just in case you are considering this in the future.

As you can see, there are tons of parameters you can go by but it all depends on what you are looking for. Most if not all pretty much have similar gains but sometimes the deciding factor for most folks is sound, weight, & looks (Titanium Tips, Stainless Steel, etc...). Once you answer these questions, it'll be easier for you to pick out the exhaust you want. The reason why it's better for you to search & why so many people throw the "use the search" responses at you is because everyone will have their own opinion on what exhaust system is "best" which can start a debate that can literally go on forever. Good luck!

Last edited by GTNPU Z; 05-22-2006 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:35 AM
josh846

if u get it done at dealership they should warranty it since it is a nismo. so that is a plus
Old 05-22-2006, 12:53 PM
Hotwire

HKS if your ganna spend over 1k
Old 05-22-2006, 01:22 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pikapp168
I want to buy a exhaust for my 06 base z and not sure which one is the best.
I don't want to spend an arm and a leg but understand that you can't have everything cheap. I spoke with a guy at my nissan dealership and he said he could save me 10% plus shipping if I used him. What do you all recommend?
He can hook me up with a Nismo for 1100$ installed or I could go with someone else. He said he gets discounts from Stillen.com. I don't mind having a deep sounding exhaust.(kinda prefer it) The floor is yours gentlemen.....
You are the first person ever to ask which exhaust is the best.

This should be an interesting discussion.

Old 05-22-2006, 01:51 PM
DG350Z

If you are looking to retain stock ish sound, go with Nismo or Fujitsubo. If you are looking at non TI true duals, borla, stillen, and APS come to mind. If you are looking to spend some cash, HKS, invidia, or amuse are good Ti TD setups.

In general, non-TD exhausts will perserve your low end tq but will yield less high end HP. Likewise, TD exhausts will increase flow and thus you will get less low end tq but gain more top end. Also, when thinking about how loud a system is, consider your future plans. If your going to get TPs/HFC's/Headers, will the exhaust be just loud enough, or is it now too loud for your tastes? I personally have the borla, and I thought that the borla alone was a bit quiet for me, but with the addition of TPs it is now more than loud enough.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:51 AM
pikapp168

Originally Posted by GTNPU Z
First off...

2. What config/specs do you want? True Dual, Y-Pipe, H-Pipe, X-Pipe, Cat Back, Axle Back, 2.5", 3", 3.5", Stainless Steel, Titanium, etc...(Weight plays a big roll in this area.)

First off thank you to those of you that were nice and offered to help me. I not asking which is the best, as some of you stated the debate would be forever, but merely what you would recommend.

#2 on the list is what info I am wanting to inquire about. I don't know the positives or negatives behind these things. I do know that after talking to the Nissan Rep he said that true dual exhaust would not pass emissions here were I live, so if that is the case then that one is out. What are the advantages/disadvantages of the others? I know I want a full exhaust, one that has a good mean purr to it, not ricey that sounds like a pissed off bumble bee, but mean and loud enough to get others attention. I am intrested to know which ones give the best gains to. Thanks again!
Old 05-23-2006, 06:58 AM
pikapp168

Originally Posted by DG350Z
If you are looking to retain stock ish sound, go with Nismo or Fujitsubo. If you are looking at non TI true duals, borla, stillen, and APS come to mind. If you are looking to spend some cash, HKS, invidia, or amuse are good Ti TD setups.

In general, non-TD exhausts will perserve your low end tq but will yield less high end HP. Likewise, TD exhausts will increase flow and thus you will get less low end tq but gain more top end. Also, when thinking about how loud a system is, consider your future plans. If your going to get TPs/HFC's/Headers, will the exhaust be just loud enough, or is it now too loud for your tastes? I personally have the borla, and I thought that the borla alone was a bit quiet for me, but with the addition of TPs it is now more than loud enough.
I am not planning on racing or any crazy stuff. This is my first really nice ride and I want to do little things to improve performance but not make it look like I am a need for speed type of guy. More than likely I won't be getting headers. I will be stopping at the full exhaust level. The only other thing I plan on down the road is rims. I already have a JWT popcharger and love it. This maybe the last mod really. Thanks again.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:13 AM
ANXIOUZ

I do know that after talking to the Nissan Rep he said that true dual exhaust would not pass emissions here were I live, so if that is the case then that one is out.
He's retarded and just trying to sell you a Nismo exhaust so that he makes money. The Nismo is probably my favorite though but if you're after a deep tone then the Borla is the Barry White of Z exhausts. Unless you remove the cats most exhausts will pass emissions. The Nismo is no different.

But honestly, just hit a meet & greet and hear a few in person. It makes a WORLD of difference. Once I heard the Borla in person I knew that was what I wanted and it's much cheaper than the Nismo.

I am interested to know which ones give the best gains to. Thanks again!
Here's a good read: https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhaust/142423-stillen-exhaust-loose-bottem-end-torque.html
Old 05-23-2006, 07:30 AM
imonlykidden

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Hotwire
HKS if your ganna spend over 1k

i got my HKS TI true dual. for 1500!
1700 something value! - i think.

----------------

but i heard so many good thinkgs about HKS! and it just bad ***!
Old 05-23-2006, 07:37 AM
pikapp168

Originally Posted by maximXL
He's retarded and just trying to sell you a Nismo exhaust so that he makes money. The Nismo is probably my favorite though but if you're after a deep tone then the Borla is the Barry White of Z exhausts. Unless you remove the cats most exhausts will pass emissions. The Nismo is no different.

But honestly, just hit a meet & greet and hear a few in person. It makes a WORLD of difference. Once I heard the Borla in person I knew that was what I wanted and it's much cheaper than the Nismo.

Here's a good read: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142423
Thanks man! I may go with the Borla then. I read a few posts on here that the nismo and the pop charger sound good together. What Borla are you talking about? Link? Thanks for the input. Also thanks for all the help guys! I appreciate the no flaming to. I am trying to learn as much as I can about this great car! Thanks again!
Old 05-23-2006, 08:47 AM
Beeker

Borla True Dual.

Here is a link.

http://www.borla.com/applications/lo...System/140045/

I purchased mine from JSCspeed a few months back when it was on sale.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Recomemdations..