Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Just got the STILLEN EXHAUST

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 10:08 AM
webcarconnection

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by stillenguy
I don't think any dyno will ever be perfect. I think dynos will always be tough to get an exact number on. A guy in Los Angeles is not going to get the same reading as a guy in Denver, you know? However, it does give an idea as to what the component did for the car.

Perhaps the chap who first started this thread will have his car tested at a facility other than Stillen?

Don Weberg
Marketing Coordinator
STILLEN
You are correct.... but at least we can see the curves gains vs RPM's.

What are the difference between the others exhaust systems that Stillen look?
Old 02-18-2003, 10:55 AM
99AllTurbo

I don't think any dyno will ever be perfect. I think dynos will always be tough to get an exact number on. A guy in Los Angeles is not going to get the same reading as a guy in Denver, you know? However, it does give an idea as to what the component did for the car.

Don Weberg
Marketing Coordinator
STILLEN
I understand that too, but if any company is going to claim power gains, why wouldn't they be able to show some proof,? At least to make their customer know they're just not pulling the #'s out of their heads (or other places).

Also if the company is going to provide dyno sheets, they should at least tell us where they're located, if any other mods are on the car, what gear was used, etc. It's not that difficult.

We're not asking for anyone to dyno their Z under our terms, but just to be honest and provide as much information as possible at the time of dyno, that's all.

Fortunately I was spoiled in the past since both my cars were turbocharged and most, if not all of the bolt ons resulted in power gains. The Z is a different story. This time I'm having to be more carefull about buying aftermarket parts for the Z since right now there aren't many that have proven to gain enough power worth paying for.

Well, if the Stillen exh results in something close to the 13hp claimed, I'll have to add it to my list of future mods. Good luck.
Old 02-18-2003, 11:17 AM
stillenguy

Hey Carlos

I understand where you're coming from, and I'm not trying to turn this into a mud slinging contest or be argumentative, but I really can't post the sheet. For that, I appologize.

I can promise you, however, it did pull 13 ponies...The Z we used was stock except for the exhaust system and it was a 6-speed car. The reason I can promise the accuracy of the number is the R&D manager is a friend, and a very square dude. He can't, won't, doesn't know how to BS and that's one reason Steve hired him. He knows his job, he knows how to run the equipment, and he's a straight shooter.

Don Weberg
Marketing Coordinator
STILLEN
Old 02-18-2003, 11:56 AM
99AllTurbo

Thanks for that info Don. I understand that it's not your position to post dyno sheets from Stillen.

I think there's a good hand full (if not more) of Z owners that have purchased the Stillen exhaust, so hopefully they will have good results to provide.
Old 02-18-2003, 11:58 AM
MastaKillaZ

I don't think anyone's really slinging mud at stillen's exhaust... yet... seems like there's genuine interest in the mod and I think everyone's actually "hoping" the hp and torque gains are as advertised.

I don't know about everyone else, but throwing a grand at an exhaust is still a substantial purchase and I'm a little hesitant until there's more consumer feedback...

still my fingers are crossed that the gains are as good, if not better than expected.
Old 02-18-2003, 12:07 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Haha.

Mr. Millen should use those criteria for his sales/phone staff you guys have there.

I dont know how many times i've called and gotten nothing but ******** from them about Maxima products.

i sure hope that you're different from the rest of them.

Your management lacks key elements, one of which is customer relations. Its like "so what if we **** off one customer, there are others we can sell to" which is wrong. there have been several documented cases on Maxima.org about stillen's poor customer service, and it pains me that your senior staff does nothing to correct it, just ignores the complaints, and continues as if nothing is wrong.

Popping stainless steel brake lines. Not replacing supposedly "unbreakable" urethane kits. Not supplying replacement parts for camber plates unless you buy their big AP brake kit. Not selling replacement/maintence parts for supercharger kits. ignoring the fact that there was a MAJOR design flaw in their idle pulley for their blower kit and then charging their customers to purchase the replacements instead of sending them out for free. They dont they CARE about us the consumers.

This community will learn soon enough about Stillen when more transactions occur, to make their own judgements.

--Cheston

Editor, MaximaDriver.com

He can't, won't, doesn't know how to BS and that's one reason Steve hired him. He knows his job, he knows how to run the equipment, and he's a straight shooter.

Don Weberg
Marketing Coordinator
STILLEN
Old 02-18-2003, 12:19 PM
99AllTurbo

Originally posted by MastaKillaZ
I don't know about everyone else, but throwing a grand at an exhaust is still a substantial purchase and I'm a little hesitant until there's more consumer feedback...
MastaKillaZ- I'm with you bro.

Chebosto- that's messed up. Not the kinda treatment myself or anyone is looking for.
Old 02-18-2003, 12:41 PM
stillenguy

Wow...there are certainly some sour tastes in people's mouths...

I'm not certain who you've dealt with here at Stillen in the past, and I do appologize for all of the problems that have occurred.
As for myself, I don't BS either, which is to make people wonder, why am I in marketing, right?? hehe... But, seriously, I get my numbers and materials lists directly from research and development and no one else. I don't like lies because they do no one any good. Therefore, I don't partake in them.

That said...um...our exhaust is really cool! hehe...jk.

Anyway, if you have any more questions about the exhaust or anything else for the Z, let me know.

Thanks again,
Don Weberg
Marketing Coordinator
STILLEN

Last edited by stillenguy; 02-18-2003 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-18-2003, 01:22 PM
Javi

As for myself, I don't BS either, which is to make people wonder, why am I in marketing, right?? hehe... But, seriously, I get my numbers and materials lists directly from research and development and no one else. I don't like lies because they do no one any good. Therefore, I don't partake in them.

So we can assume that you where the one responsible for claiming 8hp first then 13hp later...
Old 02-18-2003, 01:52 PM
stillenguy

Did I ever say it made 8????? If I did, I'm not sure where, because that woulda been wrong....13 is the number.
Old 02-18-2003, 01:56 PM
KJ-350

....13 is the number. [/B]
quick question..... is that at the wheels or crank?
Old 02-18-2003, 02:03 PM
Goober
Charter Member #57

Originally posted by KJ-350
quick question..... is that at the wheels or crank?
That is what I was wondering. I am assuming wheels as that is what the dyno shows but 13 at the crank seems more like it. Can't wait to see some dynos.

Thanks, Don, for answering our questions, as there are some who have been dumped on before and are ready to vent.
Old 02-18-2003, 02:09 PM
stillenguy

An excellent question, and after going to the R&D department I find that the manager is missing. When I can get a hold of him, I will let you know. I would bet it's at the crank though, wouldn't you?
Old 02-18-2003, 02:21 PM
fdao

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An excellent question, and after going to the R&D department I find that the manager is missing. When I can get a hold of him, I will let you know. I would bet it's at the crank though, wouldn't you?
Yes, since 13 HP to the wheels for a cat-back exhaust system is too optimistic .
Old 02-18-2003, 02:21 PM
Goober
Charter Member #57

I would think so with that number on this engine but that means that you would have to take out the engine for that (I think) and would defeat the purpose of the exhaust. Most numbers are at the wheels.
Old 02-18-2003, 02:32 PM
Javi

Did I ever say it made 8????? If I did, I'm not sure where, because that woulda been wrong....13 is the number.
What I meant was that first, at stillen.com, it was claimed 8hp and later was claimed 13hp
Old 02-18-2003, 02:51 PM
TCL

Don, how much clearance is there between the exhaust pipe and the rear sway bar?
Old 02-18-2003, 02:51 PM
stillenguy

I don't deal with our website, that's done by the managers, so to answer the question, no it wasn't me who said 8 and then 13. Sowey.
Old 02-18-2003, 02:59 PM
stillenguy

TCL, as for your question, again with R&D MIA I don't know...I'll check for you though!
Old 02-18-2003, 03:05 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not to pick but, I find it odd that Stillen states that the car that the exhaust was tested on had a six speed but, the numbers may be at the crank. Normally for that wouldn't the motor have to be pulled and placed on an engine dyno to get true at the crank numbers? If so, what does the transmission have to do with it?

Rob

Quick Reply: Just got the STILLEN EXHAUST