Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Just got the STILLEN EXHAUST

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 08:05 PM
ksj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by SoCalKid86
And the ECU lockup, I heard it was 5K from someone at Stillen. It's believable that there is an ECU lock though. I think earlier, a lot of people were dynoing their cars after the Pop Charger came along and even with the stock air box on, couldn't get the number they thought they would be seeing. Nissan wouldnt claim 287 horsepower if it really didn't exist. Plus, the dude from Stillen who told me said they called Nissan up themselves. Plus, hell 5000 sounds like a better number than 6500, how random of a number is that anyways? I'm at a little under 6000 miles, I'd be lying if I said I noticed a big difference, but when im pulling on to the freeway onramps and ****, I can feel a bit more torque when i was around 5000, and it was a day or two after I hit 5 thousand that I got my exhaust put in and was notified of the ECU deal.
Sorry, but there's no documentation of an ECU lockup in the service manual, so I'd have to say this is either wishful thinking or just BS. My Z is just over 6500 and I haven't noticed a thing. I didn't notice anything over 5000 either. The ONLY change I felt is the change in handling with the S-tune suspension and the lighter wheels.
Old 02-19-2003, 10:15 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't want to be a jeck, but out of ten or so posts from Stillenguy, the ONLY info he has given us is that the exhaust weighs "a couple pounds more" than stock.

Any HONEST company that puts customer satisfaction in front will also be very up front about their product claims and how they were achieved, so the fact that stillenguy's mangers have made him feel uncomfortable about posting details makes me very skeptical about their claims. Couple that with the impression I get about the company from former Stillen customers, and very little trust remains.

Stillenguy,

If the exhaust is as good as you say it is, then the company should be very excited about posting test data and procedures, since there are many people here who would be swayed into a purchase by such information.

On the other hand, how do you think it will look if the data is untrue, or "massaged" and shown to be incorrect when users start posting their own tests. To me, that would be far more damaging to Stillen's already tarnished (at least in my eyes) reputation than releasing the data now and being very upfront and open about it.

If you want to see how REAL CUSTOMER SUPPORT is performed, look at some of the posts by the stoptech guys after they tested a member's vehicle. They were very up front about the performance gains of their systems, explained how they made their changes, provided their test data and procedure, and even made recommendations for different types of users. One of their recommendations that I found extremely telling was that they flat out said that their most expensive 4 wheel brake kit was primarily created for the "bling-bling" factor, and that their two wheel upgrade kit (which was about half the price) offered the best balance of stopping performance and low unsprung weight.

The straight answers, truthfulness, and full disclosure of data and procedures in their posts have made me very likely to buy a stoptech brake upgrade in the near future (not to mention the excellent engineering information on their web site). On the other hand, your questionable results, lack of data and procedures, and your management's desire to have you hide the facts (or at least their attitude that makes you uncomfortable to post the facts) makes me strongly question the integrity of Stillen.

Stillenguy, please prove me wrong! Go track down your R&D guys and get the data displayed high and proud on this site where all can see it. Tell your "management" that your company is loosing what little trust it has and that drastic measures need to be taken to show what straight shooters you are. Don't take "no" for an answer!

And don't screw up the TPS report this time or you'll have to share a cube with Milton....

-D'oh!
Old 02-19-2003, 10:41 PM
Wicked4u2c

I agree with everyone, if Stillen is not ready to release any information because of R&D they should just keep their mouth shuts. All they are doing now is creating Havoc, and quite frankly I wouldn't buy from them. A company should be proud to show Dyno numbers. Dyno numbers are like a trophie to show people what kind of a masterpiece you have created. And the fact that it weights more too is not a good selling point. What good does it do having that extra 4HP (13 is BS) when you have to pull an extra 20lbs of extra weight?? I'll stick to titanium light weight good horsepower and good sounding exhaust!
Old 02-20-2003, 03:10 AM
papo470

Originally posted by lemansz
Excuse me but let me get this straight. Stillen's own marketing guy cant tell us how they arrived at their numbers and he cant say because he cant bite the hand that feeds him. ********! I never heard of a company telling a marketing person NOT to tell the consumer how their testing was done to arrive at what sells their product.

Then he tells us, I guess the numbers will be available soon by you guys here on the internet that have purchased our product. Excuse me again, you mean to tell me that a AUTO PERFORMANCE CO. relies upon ther customers shelling out big dollars to purchase a product without getting a straight answer about what we're getting then expects the consumer to go out and spend more money the test their equipment and post their research on the net. Sounds like more ********.

Ok you guys might think I'm at bit harsh or way to harsh but I dont give a s**t. I've been around the block and have seen more ******** claims about products than I can think of. And I would hate to see any of you guys get the shaft.

If Stillen is such a STRAIGHT SHOOTING CO. then just answer the dam questions, period. Dont tell me your dyno guy is MIA, how far could he have gone, go track his *** down and get a straight answer and if you cant find him then go see Millen himself and get the answers.

Here is how the questions should have been answered.

my350z members, thank you for your inquires.
Our exhaust system for the Z has been tested extensively and we have gotten and average of xxhp and xx ft/lb of torque. This is at the wheels. We arrived at these numbers by preforming 3 idenically controlled dyno runs first on a stock Z and then by adding nothing else but our exhaust. I have enclosed a copy of three different dyno runs so that you can see the difference in results we have achieved. If you have any further questions please let me know.

Thank you
Stillen
----------------------------------------

EXACTLY!! A LOT OF B.S.
Old 02-20-2003, 07:11 AM
KJ-350

Don, thanks again for the info and the conversion. You seem like a really cool guy, so don't take this the wrong way, or even personal. But after reading the latest replies and others opinions I'm starting agree and questioning alot of the details. I honestly don't see how, let alone why the company would not want specifics released to what is probably the biggest source / benefit to their product right now, an extremely interested and ready to buy 350Z community!!!!

A number of things just don't make very much sense right now! The changing of the gain from 8 to 13, no dyno, no true product pics, no sound clips, and oddly enough if the gains are at the wheels or crank being such a classified detail? Yes Stillen does have a name known world wide! But with that same name there are mixed opinions / favors of it. It just doesn't make sense at all that the company if not allowing representive of them to talk about it, especially since they are selling to the public now! To me that is coming across as them saying / thinking why bother with details and or specifics, lets just let own name sell the system! "build it, and they will buy"

I can see, maybe even understand the lack the of sound clips or videos. There are very few companies currently do that so its not exactly one of those things a consumer can / should expect. But a dyno or even knowing what the true number performance numbers are, how they got them, and if that is wheel or crank! I know you guys have a Z for a project car, but at this point in time with as little product or tuning that is available for it right now I just don't think that Stillen would have gone to the lengths of completely pulling the engine and driveline in a brand new vehicle to bench dyno! And that's pretty much the only way one can say that the numbers or gains are "at the crank". So that takes us right back the magic number, "13".

If that is the number at the wheels and consistent, that is a huge accomplishment for any company doing a bolt-on exhaust! It would only be nature for a company to push that like crazy, brag, and rub it into the faces of the other trying to get on top of them with their own product! But there is nothing, no backing or push of it at all?????? Or at least a simple "here are some dynos guys, enjoy!" or just a "yah, that is at the wheels (or crank)! check out this graph". It just doesn't make a bit of sense for everything other than a released file photo of it to be such a huge secret and off record to the public! This is starting to remind of something in a JC Whitney catalog "The super-duper turbo flow drop in filter! Add up to 60hp in 5 seconds". I have gone from...ready to buy right this minute..to...wait, is this just another $1100+ product to buy and be able to say that wow, I have a "Stillen" exhaust!

Lastly, I couldn't agree more with the comment about you guys will only be shooting yourself in the foot by hiding all these details! Members of world wide public forums are buying them and are surly going to do their own tests and post every result! This is a 50/50 chance for your product! It will either be know to true Z drivers as the system to get! Or the system to laugh at! Personally speaking, if I spend $1100 on a product that produces no where its claim I would go out of my way to inform others and try to return it without thinking twice! The last thing any company wants is customers feeling extremely ripped-off and lied to! And $1100-1200 is not exactly pocket change to the average guy! I really hope that others from Stillen are aware of this thread or at least look it over and realize its time to get on the ball!
Old 02-20-2003, 07:37 AM
all_bark

How about the fact that if the stillenguy comes out with some sort of statement like:

the gain of 13 hp is at the wheels

or the weight is ......lbs

and theY ARE NOT.

stillen guy and his whole organization are avoiding any potential lawsuits. thats why they will tell us nothing.

They say, - here it is, buy it, install it and like it. If you want the weight, then weigh it yourself or if you want the HP ratings, do your own dyno.

Then the buyer makes the claims and takes the responsibility of the statement up upon themselves.

Just a cheap *** tactic to avoid saying ANYTHING that can come back to haunt them/him.

ARE PEOPLE REALLY TRUSTING THIS COMPANY/GUY?

I DO NOT THINK SO.......
Old 02-20-2003, 07:59 AM
mcclaskz

Stillenguy,
You of all companies should be the torchbarer of statistics and proof for your product, or you should not sell it. Look at this market. We on My350z.com are a collection, if not the definitive collection of highly motivated 350Z enthusiasts. Many of us bought this car sight unseen and are ready for any legitmate aftermarket product that shows a reasonable gain. Again we don't just own the cars, we are motivated to modify them. Why would you choose to not share your testing methods and results hoping that we, a group of intelligent and organized consumers would buy your product?
Old 02-20-2003, 08:08 AM
rouxeny

This ECU lockout bit is total ********. Let's just put that out in the open. Sure the engine might open up a little with time, but there is no way the ECU is set to take it easy for the first few thousand miles.

Just think about it. Look at the Dyno numbers posted here. They're all fairly similar. They've also been done on a number of cars with different mileage. I don't know for sure, but I'd bet that some of them had less than the magic 5000 or 6500 miles.

I just recently passed 5000 miles, the car is absolutely no different.

Also, what if somebody buys the Z, decides to not break it in, and goes out and floors it. The detuned ECU kicks in and the guy gets pissed that he just bought a $30K car which has lame performance compared to what he expected. He complains bitterly and never buys another Nissan.

Like I said, this ECU stuff is total baloney.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:33 AM
importriders

Man this sucks. I was totally ready to buy this exhaust but now I don't know. It weighs more!!! And the tips stick out past the bumper!!! And it may be 8hp, 13hp, wheel, crank...whatever!!! STILLEN...you just lost my sale unless you come up with some definitive answers.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:02 AM
webcarconnection

Originally posted by rouxeny
Also, what if somebody buys the Z, decides to not break it in, and goes out and floors it. The detuned ECU kicks in and the guy gets pissed that he just bought a $30K car which has lame performance compared to what he expected. He complains bitterly and never buys another Nissan.

Like I said, this ECU stuff is total baloney.
I never break it in the Z or others sports cars that I own....never felt any performance lost or something, is viceversa I felt the car more responding and more sporty.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:06 AM
m'sZ

Originally posted by importriders
Man this sucks. I was totally ready to buy this exhaust but now I don't know. It weighs more!!! And the tips stick out past the bumper!!! And it may be 8hp, 13hp, wheel, crank...whatever!!! STILLEN...you just lost my sale unless you come up with some definitive answers.
Well said. Stillen, same here about the sale.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:38 AM
jetjammer

Howzit SoCalKid86

You've had the system installed a few days ago already. Let us know what you think. Hows the sound? Do you notice any performance diff? How do they feel? Tell us anything & everything......
Old 02-20-2003, 10:51 AM
twoZman

I don't know why you all are so upset. We all agree that Stillen makes some great products, for all Nissan cars. Stillenguy seems to be doing the best he can, and it appears that in trying to help out has gotten in over his head. All he did originally if I remember the thread was to thank you all for the interest in the product. Don't bash him because he can't tell you what he's not suppsosed to. He's done his best, and there is probably a good reason why he sticks to 13 for the hp increase.

I have a 350Z and am getting the Stillen exhaust for a few reasons. ONe, I have a 300ZX TT with tons of Stillen mods on it, and I'll tell you something it's very quick. Two, it's all reliable. Nothing on that car has failed, including the Stillen stuff. The 350Z when I'm done will have the exhaust, SC, sway bars, and brakes.

I can also tell you all something else...I too am in automotive marketing, and I'll tell you it's a world of twisting the truth. If they're saying 13 hp and not telling you at the wheels...it doesn't take a genius to figure out it's from the flywheel. Do you really think the 350Z puts out 287 horsepower? At the flywheel, maybe. But at the wheels it's a lot less. And since Stillenguy is marketing coordinator, trust me again when I tell you he's not anywhere near the top. Someone is telling him what to say.

I say we thank Stillenguy for his help, and also for not getting upset for the way you've treated him. It can be taken personally. And remember that Stillen is an awesome company with awesome products and people.coordinator
Old 02-20-2003, 12:44 PM
Throbber

Originally posted by twoZman
I don't know why you all are so upset. We all agree that Stillen makes some great products, for all Nissan cars. Stillenguy seems to be doing the best he can, and it appears that in trying to help out has gotten in over his head. All he did originally if I remember the thread was to thank you all for the interest in the product. Don't bash him because he can't tell you what he's not suppsosed to. He's done his best, and there is probably a good reason why he sticks to 13 for the hp increase.

I have a 350Z and am getting the Stillen exhaust for a few reasons. ONe, I have a 300ZX TT with tons of Stillen mods on it, and I'll tell you something it's very quick. Two, it's all reliable. Nothing on that car has failed, including the Stillen stuff. The 350Z when I'm done will have the exhaust, SC, sway bars, and brakes.

I can also tell you all something else...I too am in automotive marketing, and I'll tell you it's a world of twisting the truth. If they're saying 13 hp and not telling you at the wheels...it doesn't take a genius to figure out it's from the flywheel. Do you really think the 350Z puts out 287 horsepower? At the flywheel, maybe. But at the wheels it's a lot less. And since Stillenguy is marketing coordinator, trust me again when I tell you he's not anywhere near the top. Someone is telling him what to say.

I say we thank Stillenguy for his help, and also for not getting upset for the way you've treated him. It can be taken personally. And remember that Stillen is an awesome company with awesome products and people.coordinator
I couldn’t agree more with twoZman. Since I've been frequenting this forum I have seen several instances of people being down right rude to reps of companies that visit this board. If you guys don’t want them here, have the moderators ban them from the forum, because that’s what happens anyway with the harsh comments, ridicule and down right blatant rudeness. I remember a similar thing happening with Luke form Tire Rack, everyone was harassing him so much he hardly ever post anymore.

And probably what has upset me the most is that the moderator of this forum is on the forefront of the attacks. VQracer, you should try and be a little more professional.
Old 02-20-2003, 01:02 PM
menehune

So sad, all this bashing is affecting the prices. I notice the price of the exhaust went up. Or could be because of demand?
Old 02-20-2003, 02:50 PM
importriders

I think the majority of people are upset because they want to know where the 13hp or 8hp is coming from. Where is the proof? Other companies like Injen and AEM show dynos on thier websites. Also, how come the weight of the system isn't posted either? Most high end exhausts spec out the weight. You would think a company as large and as well known as Stillen could supply this very BASIC information. Okay, so you guys say it's a liability thing. You can easily avoid this by putting a disclaimer like:

-Results may vary. We obtained these results on our test car, your results may differ, etc. etc. Then you guys can go on and explain how you guys tested the exhaust. Like, for example, " we did 3 baseline dyno runs without the exhaust. Then installed the exhaust and did 3 more dyno runs at so and so intervals. Blah, blah. You get the idea.-

I think if you guys did something like this it would resolve all doubt and it would be a hot seller. The only reason I could think why you guys DON"T do this is that the exahust makes less hp than it does. Or maybe it does make 13hp(peak) but in allot of places it loses power. Also the weight is a huge factor especially for a true dual system. Posting the actual weight would be a selling plus too. Unless of course it weighs 50 pounds more than stock. Hmmm...maybe thats why you guys don't post the weight.

This is all you guys have on your website about the exhaust:

"The STILLEN 350Z exhaust, crafted of Mandrel-bent Stainless Steel, is a True Cat-Back System designed for long service life, and helps the Z pump out an incredible 13 additional horsepower at 5600 RPM and 14-ft.lbs. of torque at 4500 RPM. At idle the STILLEN Exhaust is unobtrusive. However, when the pedal gets pushed, it comes to life with a recognizable “STILLEN” trademark sound. It’s a sound especially associated with big horsepower & torque gains for the Z. "

This tells me absolutely nothing. What the hell is "STILLEN" trademark sound?!? Like we all know what that is.

Anyways, I just expect allot more from a company thats been around for awhile and is pretty well known as far as aftermarket companies go. I'm sure allot of people on this board feel the same way.

Last edited by importriders; 02-20-2003 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-20-2003, 06:37 PM
Wags

This was the longest, most useless thread I have ever read. Think I'll go watch CSPAN now.

Stillen guy, You should have said... probably less, if that's possible. Shoot, now I'm doing it.

I want an exhuast, but I'll keep windo shopping.
Old 02-21-2003, 04:43 PM
whosdady

Default I better lower my expectations!

Personally this thread is depressing. I have had my order in for a week now and it seems like the guys that have received the exhausts are less than 100% satisfied. In this thread the owner said "When getting on the highway I feel a little more torque." Also I have read it weighs just over 100 lbs. That is really heavy. The after market exhaust on my MKIV supra was like 26lbs. True dual or not, that is super heavy. Plus I really don't like the exhaust tips sticking out. Persoanlly I think the stock tips look better. Maybe I should have waited longer to purchase an exahust?
Anyway, I felt like venting. Hopefully by lowering my expectations I will be happeir with it when it is installed.
Concerning Stillenguy, I see both sides. He obviously should know and probably does know the answers to the questions we are asking. In his defense, if no one buys this exahust he doesn't want to be fired based upon something he might have said in this forum.
Does anyone else feel this way?
Old 02-21-2003, 05:27 PM
Oh4aZ

I am not the most patient person in the world, and I will apologize in advance for that, but with that said, this is frustrating. I posted video clips w/sounds within a few hours of having my resonator removed. I can't believe it is taking people this long to reply with pics/sound clips/performance feedback!!!

I know there are pics posted, but we still need sound clips and feedback on the performance!!!

Hurry!!!
Old 02-21-2003, 05:36 PM
daytona350z

im gonna take a vid of his car tomorrow. so small vid will be up tomorrow.
i just need someone to host them for me!!!
socalkid: gimme a call whenever u wanna meet!

Quick Reply: Just got the STILLEN EXHAUST