Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Just got the STILLEN EXHAUST

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 12:23 PM
J Ritt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mwaller,
I think you're talking about the charcoal evap canister...jap. spec car doesn't have that part, so as far as I know it's only an issue with the JDM exhausts...not US built ones. I'll go out on a limb and bet my Z that you are able to retain it with the Stillen exhaust.
Old 02-19-2003, 12:31 PM
SoCalKid86

Ok the tips are slightly larger in bore than the stock exhaust is. I can almost "fist" it ahah. But they do seem longer cuz you can see them stick out if you stood right above the rear of the car ( i dont think that was possible with the stock exhaust no?)
Personally, i don't have the technology to (or i dont know how) to record the car and upload it, or have a motion camera to do a launch from, but if STILLENGUY wants to collaborate with me here on this one, I'd be more than happy to spend an hour or two over at the Stillen shop and let them mess with my car for a bit for the sake of letting you guys know whats up, possibly they could give me some discounts on some of their fine products in the future haha, either way, I'd be happy to, im out of school this week anyways.
Old 02-19-2003, 12:49 PM
stillenguy

Man, you guys are QUICK!!! I leave for a few hours, and Post, Post, post!! hehe...It's awesome, really Im psyched out that you all are this happy about the exhaust.

Ok, some of you are a bit peeved because I've been "skirting" questions. For that, I appologize but I'm trying to be as honest as I can without pissing off you guys or the company who pays my wage. I need my wage. A lot! hehe....The number I can tell you, is 13. I'm sorry I can't be more informative but that's it. You've all been saying it yourself, it will be on the web soon enough from people who will not lose their job or **** off their bosses by saying otherwise, if otherwise the number turns out to be.

Thanks for the understanding. Now, on to more fun things....

Freshalloy.com will be here on Friday recording the 350Z for posting on his website. Might be a good idea to hunt around on his site for a while, maybe drop him a line to encourage him to get it up!! Don't tell him I sent you.

I thank everyone who's posted images, as I still feel it wouldn't be proper for me to do so. I also hope that I've answered all the supercharger questions, and assure you that this is the only thread I've been talking on. I don't have enough time to scour all of them unfortunatly.

There was a question about clearance between the exhaust and the sway bar, and I've got my friend in R&D working on getting an answer...he had a guesstimate, but wanted to be certain, so he's going to actually measure it just for you!! See? He's a good guy!!

Ok, I think that's all for now....lemme know if you need anything else.

Don Weberg
Marketing Coordinator
STILLEN
Old 02-19-2003, 01:02 PM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

If stillen doesn't want to do it, and you don't mind driving a bit, I'll help record your exhaust note.

I've got somewhat of a studio in my garage with a quality mic /short stand/digital editing software/digital video cam, etc. More than enough to well document the audio/visuals of the exhaust.

I'm about an hour (from newport) going north on the 405. I'm free tonight or tomorrow. Should take us less than 30 mins.
Old 02-19-2003, 01:25 PM
stillenguy

Hey man! Thanks for the offer, but I can't do it. The company is way protective of the Z that we've built, and there is no way someone as low on the pole as I would be able to drive it anywhere.

HOWEVER....if it's something you could arrainge with the guy who has the system on his car who posted all the images (sorry, name slips me right now) it would be awesome! Maybe email him?

It's an awesome offer though, and I thank you very much...

Don Weberg
Marketing Coordinator
STILLEN
Old 02-19-2003, 01:44 PM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

I think he's talking to SoCalKid86...

We know you probably can't take the car out for sound recording / pictures...

Is Stillen coming out with another supercharger so we don't have to replace our hood? Just checking..
Old 02-19-2003, 01:55 PM
papo470

this Stillenguy is something else. he's written about 10 posts about the exhaust system that HIS company has put out, and has managed to tell us nothing about their product..NUMBERS!! PLEASE.

your company's website is vague about hp gains..is it at the crank or to the wheel...marketing

Stillenguy if you can not tell us about weight, wheel hp or crank hp, and dyno results, and you knew you were not going to tell us, then, YOU SHOULD NOT OF CHYMED IN!! Because you have not told us anything that is not on your website...mr. marketing director stop dancing around the questions. If you can't say the numbers then, stop writing posts.

the stillen website only has a 13hp gain but, does not say at the crank or at the wheels...VAGUE!!
stillenguy can't tell us any numbers either...VAGUE!!

i don't know about everybody else, but, i would not spend any significant amount of money on something that i have no performance numbers on.

Gerardo
Old 02-19-2003, 01:57 PM
AKAkracker247

I agree with apexi350z, I don't like the current supercharger for Stillen (no offense stillenguy) but the price for any supercharger is expensive, but plus the price of a hood and the recomended exhaust. I just can't afford that. Stillenguy could you please inform us about any upcoming supercharger from stillen?
Old 02-19-2003, 02:37 PM
stillenguy

Hey Guys

We worked on a side-mount "fit under the hood" supercharger unit, and actually got very close to completing it. However, it was extremely expensive due to the intake plenums (and several other issues) which had to be re-routed. It is cheaper for everyone to purchase a hood and the SC that we have now. So, will there be a hidden SC from Stillen? I wouldn't bet on it.

As for the question of weight of the exhaust, sorry, I thought I had addressed that. I've been told it weighs a couple of pounds more due to the Full Stainless Steel Construction, as well as Dual Pipes as opposed to a single. It is a full Cat Back system, which means that it runs from the firewall to the rear bumper, and the mufflers and tips are polished.

Hope this helps.

Don Weberg
Marketing Coordinator (not manager)
STILLEN
Old 02-19-2003, 02:44 PM
stillenguy

Just a thought too....

When it comes to building a real screamer of a car, often times it takes step by step. I didn't take offense to the comment about not liking the Stillen SC, opinions vary, and I understand the idea that it's too expensive.

However, if I may suggest, starting with the exhaust is smart. I don't know how many of you know this or not, but this engine is computer programmed to keep everything low-key for at least 6,500 miles. Therefore, any dyno readings, and seat of the pants power gains are going to be minimal. But, getting the exhaust first will let you enjoy a bit more power, and certainly better tones while adding some miles to the engine, so that should you decide the SC and hood are for you, the computer will have unleashed the 3.5. Also, the engine will breathe better with the exhaust, so when the SC is helping it out, there will be more real power.

So, I know money is an issue, trust me I know! But, if I may suggest, the exhaust is an excellent way to start building power for your Z.

Don Weberg
Old 02-19-2003, 03:03 PM
TCL

Originally posted by stillenguy
... I don't know how many of you know this or not, but this engine is computer programmed to keep everything low-key for at least 6,500 miles. Therefore, any dyno readings, and seat of the pants power gains are going to be minimal. ...
This is the first I've heard of it. Can you give us more info? Specifically, what is the ECU programming limiting before 6,500 miles?
Old 02-19-2003, 03:36 PM
nwind21

Originally posted by TCL
This is the first I've heard of it. Can you give us more info? Specifically, what is the ECU programming limiting before 6,500 miles?
I'm gonna chime in here cause this number of when "full power" is achieved is beginning to sound like hearsay and half-truths.

I've heard from a guy who works for Stillen in random encounter at my house ( while cleaning my Z ) said 5K miles is the unlock period.

Now it's 6500.

Also I've heard other people say other power numbers.

Of all these "unlock" periods, I've never seen any proof regarding the behaviour and characteristic of the ECU unlocking... so whenever mentions these unlock periods, my BS alarm goes off. I've have NEVER heard anyone have 1st hand knowledge of how the ECU behaves... so be wary of random claims that haven't been backed up with cold hard facts.

No offense stillenguy. I just wanted to stop this rumor dead till someone produces some docs.
Old 02-19-2003, 04:31 PM
ColecatZ

I've only heard 5k was the magic point for the ECU......will have a dyno after Saturday ....guess we''ll see. I've read and been told this a couple places.

then I'll Dyno again next week when my Stillen exhaust gets here...so we will have numbers for that as well.....

Last edited by ColecatZ; 02-19-2003 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-19-2003, 05:06 PM
Intrepid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by stillenguy
computer programmed to keep everything low-key for at least 6,500 miles
This sounds like nonsense.

Last edited by Intrepid; 02-19-2003 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-19-2003, 05:24 PM
XBS
Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In you website the only thing you post about the supercharger is that it cost $4K why dont u tell us how much horsepower and torque it gives or post some dyno charts, if u have even tested the power gains, why wouldnt u post them? are the results that poor? again no offense to you stillenguy, im just talking about stillen, you webmaster needs to put some more info on you site asap!
Old 02-19-2003, 05:36 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

While I agree that it would be nice to see dyno numbers from Stillen on this, some of you guys are just being a bit hard on stillenguy

Correct me if I'm wrong, but have we seen Injen dyno numbers directly from the company? What about JWT? I don't think anybody has gone off on them for that if they haven't. People that weren't early adopters awaited those brave souls here who wanted to be the first to buy them to put their cars on dynos.

I appreciate stillenguy giving us the info he can. Yes, we need to bug him for more info, but be nice about it If not, we may lose a seemingly helpful source of good information about what Stillen is going to have around here.
Old 02-19-2003, 06:22 PM
2003z

Originally posted by MannishBoy
While I agree that it would be nice to see dyno numbers from Stillen on this, some of you guys are just being a bit hard on stillenguy

Correct me if I'm wrong, but have we seen Injen dyno numbers directly from the company? What about JWT? I don't think anybody has gone off on them for that if they haven't. People that weren't early adopters awaited those brave souls here who wanted to be the first to buy them to put their cars on dynos.

I appreciate stillenguy giving us the info he can. Yes, we need to bug him for more info, but be nice about it If not, we may lose a seemingly helpful source of good information about what Stillen is going to have around here.
Injen has, they are false though.
Old 02-19-2003, 06:24 PM
lemansz

Excuse me but let me get this straight. Stillen's own marketing guy cant tell us how they arrived at their numbers and he cant say because he cant bite the hand that feeds him. ********! I never heard of a company telling a marketing person NOT to tell the consumer how their testing was done to arrive at what sells their product.

Then he tells us, I guess the numbers will be available soon by you guys here on the internet that have purchased our product. Excuse me again, you mean to tell me that a AUTO PERFORMANCE CO. relies upon ther customers shelling out big dollars to purchase a product without getting a straight answer about what we're getting then expects the consumer to go out and spend more money the test their equipment and post their research on the net. Sounds like more ********.

Ok you guys might think I'm at bit harsh or way to harsh but I dont give a s**t. I've been around the block and have seen more ******** claims about products than I can think of. And I would hate to see any of you guys get the shaft.

If Stillen is such a STRAIGHT SHOOTING CO. then just answer the dam questions, period. Dont tell me your dyno guy is MIA, how far could he have gone, go track his *** down and get a straight answer and if you cant find him then go see Millen himself and get the answers.

Here is how the questions should have been answered.

my350z members, thank you for your inquires.
Our exhaust system for the Z has been tested extensively and we have gotten and average of xxhp and xx ft/lb of torque. This is at the wheels. We arrived at these numbers by preforming 3 idenically controlled dyno runs first on a stock Z and then by adding nothing else but our exhaust. I have enclosed a copy of three different dyno runs so that you can see the difference in results we have achieved. If you have any further questions please let me know.

Thank you
Stillen
Old 02-19-2003, 06:41 PM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

Originally posted by lemansz
Here is how the questions should have been answered.

my350z members, thank you for your inquires.
Our exhaust system for the Z has been tested extensively and we have gotten and average of xxhp and xx ft/lb of torque. This is at the wheels. We arrived at these numbers by preforming 3 idenically controlled dyno runs first on a stock Z and then by adding nothing else but our exhaust. I have enclosed a copy of three different dyno runs so that you can see the difference in results we have achieved. If you have any further questions please let me know.

Thank you
Stillen
SOLD! I will take two

Come on, show me the dyno!
Old 02-19-2003, 07:47 PM
SoCalKid86

Guys guys lets mellow out here.

Let's give Stillenguy some credit here, through all the constant ******** that people give him, you have to admit he's very well mannered and takes everything the right way, even the **** that's thrown at him in a really harsh manner. Some might think it's odd that a marketing coordinator can't give all the information he could. Well so what, he doesn't tell you how to do your job, and quite frankly, he could have told us nothing should he have wished to, the fact that he's answered questions the best he can thus far is quite noble of him as it is. If the company doesn't want him spilling some **** about their product, let's respect it, because they have other competetors, but we all know Stillen is a way legit company that won't make claims it can't back up, especially with the Nissan Z. Steve and the whole Stillen crew have been the forerunner in everything Z related here in the states. Hell I don't think even Nismo can't catch up to how well Stillen is doing and building up **** for the Z car. Let's not harass him as much, because hell if we bug him too much, he might not want to answer any questions at all. What he has done so far is well beyond the call of duty if you ask me.

And the ECU lockup, I heard it was 5K from someone at Stillen. It's believable that there is an ECU lock though. I think earlier, a lot of people were dynoing their cars after the Pop Charger came along and even with the stock air box on, couldn't get the number they thought they would be seeing. Nissan wouldnt claim 287 horsepower if it really didn't exist. Plus, the dude from Stillen who told me said they called Nissan up themselves. Plus, hell 5000 sounds like a better number than 6500, how random of a number is that anyways? I'm at a little under 6000 miles, I'd be lying if I said I noticed a big difference, but when im pulling on to the freeway onramps and ****, I can feel a bit more torque when i was around 5000, and it was a day or two after I hit 5 thousand that I got my exhaust put in and was notified of the ECU deal.

Quick Reply: Just got the STILLEN EXHAUST