Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by plumpzz
cheap ***es. lol.

+1 Just buy a real cat back system
Old 07-17-2006, 09:01 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SBT
where is the respect issue coming from? not using the stock muffler in place of a custom dual exit setup? or is it just that i found a way not to spend a lot of money on an "exhaust"? listen...let's not let this turn into a crappy thread. this could be interesting. it could provide other owners with a way to get a nice sound (maybe more power) out of the car, with a similar to stock look out back for less than $300, pending how much people charge to bend the pipe for this setup.

i don't want to see any more comments about this because:

1) i'm not going to be driving the car around as you see it in the picture
2) it's not louder than cars with test pipes or "loud" systems out there already

i took the car out for a total of about 20 minutes on a single day just to hear what it would sound like
Just last week somone had a thread about removing the stock muffler and putting a pipe on and it went for several pages of the guy getting flammed for various reasons. You might want to hunt that one down and check it out.

For me.. I really like the sound of the Stock exhasut, but i am always for saving a buck or two on something that isn't rocket science. I have a local exhaust shop here that will fab up anything you want for $60, including pipe (not mufflers). I have hold friends drive in from other states just to get their exhausts done here. Its just a simple guy in a run down shop with a few basic tools and a lot of skill. I could pick up 2 Ebay Farcans for $50 and have a header back true dual put on for $110.00... But again, I really like the sound of the stock exhaust.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:05 AM
Brick-Z

This is definetly a mod you would see on a 1989 Civic and not on a 350Z. Not to mention, the back now looks like s**t
Old 07-17-2006, 09:09 AM
eat rice z33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brick-Z
This is definetly a mod you would see on a 1989 Civic and not on a 350Z. Not to mention, the back now looks like s**t
you need to learn how to read... HE ISNT GOING TO KEEP IT LIKE THAT HE IS GOING TO FAB UP SOME NICE TIPS ETC.

i think i will fab up some custom piping as well and remove stock muffler
Old 07-17-2006, 09:16 AM
SBT

Originally Posted by Brick-Z
+1 Just buy a real cat back system
i would if it would sound as good

tell you what, ill buy a real cat back system if i do this and i don't like the way it looks from the back...deal?
Old 07-17-2006, 09:17 AM
SBT

Originally Posted by sq40
Just last week somone had a thread about removing the stock muffler and putting a pipe on and it went for several pages of the guy getting flammed for various reasons. You might want to hunt that one down and check it out.

For me.. I really like the sound of the Stock exhasut, but i am always for saving a buck or two on something that isn't rocket science. I have a local exhaust shop here that will fab up anything you want for $60, including pipe (not mufflers). I have hold friends drive in from other states just to get their exhausts done here. Its just a simple guy in a run down shop with a few basic tools and a lot of skill. I could pick up 2 Ebay Farcans for $50 and have a header back true dual put on for $110.00... But again, I really like the sound of the stock exhaust.
i saw that thread and that guy was really effin asking for it when he put that ugly piece of crap flexpipe on there...but then again, he couldn't have been serious about doing that, so i just think it's funny.

what's the zip code down there? kinda far, but maybe worth considering!
Old 07-17-2006, 09:22 AM
Brick-Z

Originally Posted by SBT
i would if it would sound as good

tell you what, ill buy a real cat back system if i do this and i don't like the way it looks from the back...deal?

It is your car so you can mod it however you feel necessary. I was only stating my opinion. I will chime in once you have completed the work. Good luck
Old 07-17-2006, 12:10 PM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You want to put tailpipes on a 350z? Do you understand the concept of exhaust flows? Unless your pushing a turbo, you dont need that. Your exhaust needs some backpressure. If you want something a bit louder, I suggest running test pipes with stock muffler. You get a great sound, plus you wont get hassled by law enforcement.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:18 PM
CFaddict350z
Banned

Originally Posted by 97supratt
Dude do you realize you drive a 350Z not a 93 Honda Civic hb? Show some respect for the car man.
man why does it have to be like that?? lol I had a 93 hb with a built turbo gsr motor,, close to 450 whp when it was done,, almost 5 years ago!!!! no rice there, and i def didnt do any ghetto **** like simply remove the exhaust!!! lol

the guys right, nomatter how good that sounds, it looks bad on a $30k car man,, break out the plastic and hook yourself up!! I got the apex- n1 for my Z and i love it!! or cant you somehow gut outthe stock muffler?? is that possible,, then just re-hang it,,, might have the same sound.... props for being creative though!
Old 07-17-2006, 12:19 PM
CFaddict350z
Banned

You want to put tailpipes on a 350z? Do you understand the concept of exhaust flows? Unless your pushing a turbo, you dont need that. Your exhaust needs some backpressure. If you want something a bit louder, I suggest running test pipes with stock muffler. You get a great sound, plus you wont get hassled by law enforcement.
that is also very true,, i heard the sound of a z with test pipes and stock exhaust,, its pretty sick.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:32 PM
SBT

you don't think that test pipes and new high-flowing exhaust system give you less backpressure than stock exhaust minus a muffler?

im open to information...

97supratt: did you ever get newer videos of your evo2? i'm still waiting to hear how that sounds...that last video-the camera made it seem like you werent revving the car

CFaddict: i know that gutting **** does not work too well unless it's done perfectly, as that will create a lot of turbulence in the airflow
Old 07-17-2006, 02:40 PM
97supratt

Originally Posted by SBT
you don't think that test pipes and new high-flowing exhaust system give you less back pressure than stock exhaust minus a muffler?

im open to information...

97supratt: did you ever get newer videos of your evo2? i'm still waiting to hear how that sounds...that last video-the camera made it seem like you werent revving the car
Yeah I posted new vids, go search.

Lastly, yes you lose back pressure with test pipes but at least you're not missing your muffler. There is a reason why Nissan made two cut outs and a big gap in the middle of the rear, its for MUFFLER(S).

You will yield more power with test pipes and stock muffler than you will anyway with stock cats and no muffler.

You're thinking more along the lines of V's with no mufflers and they have tailpipes. Well the Q needs a muffler, so if you want to take it off and put tail pipes, I suggest posting pics on some mustang V forum and not this. :icon:
Old 07-17-2006, 03:29 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your exhaust needs some backpressure.
Please don't spread the backpressure myth.

From http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/te...haust_systems/

"Some self-proclaimed engine gurus claim too large of an exhaust tube on a car can cause problems; engines need a certain amount of backpressure to run correctly. Although the statement about not running too large of a tube is correct, the assumption about engines needing backpressure is not. A vehicle needs the lowest backpressure possible to produce the maximum power by keeping pumping losses low. Too big of an exhaust pipe causes power loss, especially in low-end torque, because a big pipe has less exhaust stream velocity than a smaller pipe. Velocity is essential to get the best scavenging effect from tuned headers. (We will discuss this in more detail later.) In simple terms, if the exhaust gas flow is kept high with good velocity, a vacuum can develop behind the closed exhaust valve allowing even better scavenging when the exhaust valve opens on the next exhaust cycle. Good scavenging is even more critical on valve overlap, the part of the four-stroke cycle where both the intake and exhaust valves are open."
From http://www.cobbtuning.com/tech/exhaustdesign/index.html

"One thing I do want to explain before I get too far into this is backpressure. I hear "You need backpressure to make torque." all the time. And it even comes from "tuners" as well as customers. This is flat out not true. Before I arrived into the company of true tuners I fell into the same trap myself. The reality is that backpressure is the enemy. You want to keep it as low as possible. What you do want is to keep velocity up. However doing the things that keep velocity high involves slightly more backpressure under some conditions. You want to keep the gasses moving as quickly as possible to make both good torque and top end power. The perfect exhaust system would keep the gasses moving as fast as they did coming out of the cylinder and have zero backpressure. However this is impossible to achieve in the real world."
On that note, I doubt that the back box in the Z system is much of a restriction, the pipe size is decent, the bends are well made. If you are looking for performance, a closer look at the Y pipe is probably a better place to start.

Chris
Old 07-18-2006, 07:56 AM
97supratt

If we didnt need back pressure then why do N/A cars lose torque if we install 4" exhaust piping? It's not a myth, its a fact. Almost every N/A car needs some sort of back pressure, whether it involves cats, mufflers, or pipe diameter restrictions.

Turbocharged vehicles do not need backpressure because the turbocharger works off the exhaust system.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:03 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If we didnt need back pressure then why do N/A cars lose torque if we install 4" exhaust piping? It's not a myth, its a fact. Almost every N/A car needs some sort of back pressure, whether it involves cats, mufflers, or pipe diameter restrictions.

Turbocharged vehicles do not need backpressure because the turbocharger works off the exhaust system.
From the articable above;

Too big of an exhaust pipe causes power loss, especially in low-end torque, because a big pipe has less exhaust stream velocity than a smaller pipe. Velocity is essential to get the best scavenging effect from tuned headers.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:10 AM
SBT

probably getting this done thursday
Old 07-18-2006, 09:02 AM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your kidding right?

Chris
Old 07-18-2006, 11:25 AM
97supratt

Originally Posted by HyperSprite
Your kidding right?

Chris
No i'm not kidding. N/A's need some sort of back pressure. Not necessarily saying a catalytic converter.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:26 AM
97supratt

Originally Posted by sq40
From the articable above;

Too big of an exhaust pipe causes power loss, especially in low-end torque, because a big pipe has less exhaust stream velocity than a smaller pipe. Velocity is essential to get the best scavenging effect from tuned headers.
Isn't that what I said though? I mean, I didn't call it exhaust velocity but when I said backpressure thats what I meant. It needs some sort of restriction.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:32 AM
batmanesaul

man oi fell like takin mines off to hear it..but ima go ahead n buy me a an exhaust system... im just doing it out of curiousity

Quick Reply: Removed Stock Muffler...My Thoughts