Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Removed Stock Muffler...My Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006 | 04:57 PM
SBT

Originally Posted by HockeyZ39
Can you take lowwer pictures so we can see how they routed the right side pipe.
I knew that was coming so I just went down and did so haha

the fishmouth part for the passenger side pipe is slightly ghetto-rigged so that it almost comes off the driver side pipe perpendicular. the job underneath is not eye-appealing at all, but it's not the worst **** I've seen either.
Attached Thumbnails Removed Stock Muffler...My Thoughts-rear3.jpg  
Old 07-26-2006 | 05:06 PM
chochoky86

Looks like it came out good
Old 07-26-2006 | 05:19 PM
SBT

Edit: also did they mount any hangers on the added piping?
Yeah, two out of the three stock hanger locations are being used with new hook-shaped hangers
Old 07-26-2006 | 05:34 PM
TheProfessional

Good job, thanks for having the courage to do something out of the ordinary and posting your results...

Also I hate to say I told you so on an identical thread... but:
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....04#post2545404
Old 07-26-2006 | 06:09 PM
jmaldonado

Its your car, if you like it great. I am sure it doesnt sound too bad. If I get bored one weekend I might try it.
Old 07-26-2006 | 06:28 PM
sry110

Hey man looks like it turned out good. Based on the angle of the passenger side pipe where it meets the driver side pipe, I imagine not much exhaust gas travels down the passenger side pipe. I'm concerned it may look a little odd during colder months if fumes are only coming out one pipe. But maybe that won't be the case. At any rate, can you take some more sound clips? I'm curious as to how the new outlet pipes shape the exhaust note.
Old 07-26-2006 | 06:45 PM
HockeyZ39

Tried to pull the muffler off my borla but ran into a problem..... The section right be4 the muffler that slips in is stuck to all hell, nothing I did got it to budge so I guess I will not get to hear the borla with out the muffler.

The pipes come out perfect for the dual tips though, the "getto" routing over to the driverside is not required! If I can get it appart one day I was going to get it dyno'ed to see how much power/tq is lost.

+1 on if the pipes/tips changed the sound at all?
Old 07-27-2006 | 02:29 AM
SBT

Originally Posted by sry110
Hey man looks like it turned out good. Based on the angle of the passenger side pipe where it meets the driver side pipe, I imagine not much exhaust gas travels down the passenger side pipe. I'm concerned it may look a little odd during colder months if fumes are only coming out one pipe. But maybe that won't be the case. At any rate, can you take some more sound clips? I'm curious as to how the new outlet pipes shape the exhaust note.
yeah I can probably take some more videos. I think the sound may have changed very slightly....still sounds the same though...if anything a little better because the sound is out back and it's coming from two sources instead of one.

i was worried about the exhaust making it through the passenger side...at idle (lowest volume), i put my hands in front of both and it didn't seem to be an issue...the driver side tip seemed to be pushing a little more air out

im going to work now, so if i do videos it will be later.

thanks for everyone's replies,

chris
Old 07-27-2006 | 04:16 AM
SBT

i took the 35 mile drive to work today...it's definitely louder than before...i guess maybe because the sound doesn't get muffled by the car's body...then again, it could be due to the custom "L"-pipe haha

I like the way it sounds and how it reacts...it's totally quiet unless you open the throttle. I can cruise going 80 at around 3000RPM and it sounds like stock.
Old 07-27-2006 | 09:35 AM
BaTMan_4

-Double post-
Old 07-27-2006 | 09:36 AM
BaTMan_4

Looks damn good. U didn't get the tips you 1st showed in the begining of your threat the ones that look like the HKS tips. Do a fly-by please haha, yet to hear it like that. Looking good man
Old 07-27-2006 | 09:45 AM
HockeyZ39

Any one know what I can use to get my borla apart!? The thing feels like it is welded (I know for a fact it is not.)
Old 07-27-2006 | 09:50 AM
SBT

Any one know what I can use to get my borla apart!? The thing feels like it is welded (I know for a fact it is not.)
with slip-joint exhausts, you sometimes have to open up the outer pipe with the inner pipe...basically by smashing it around...it's a lot easier with two people.

just beat the crap out of it

batman: no...i found different tips. the original burnt ones were kind of crappy in that the burnt part was riveted on. plus those were only 4". i think they best size for tips on these cars with stock bumpers is 4.5". The HKS tips are more like 4.75" and I think 5" is just too big for a dual exhaust and would look pretty fcking stupid. i couldn't find any burnt 4.5" tips available so I said screw it...I didn't care that much. I look the way they look a lot right now
Old 07-27-2006 | 10:48 AM
Blue_Z

Sorry I didn't read through all the 6 pages, but how did you get the camera angle while you were driving for your video??
Old 07-27-2006 | 10:59 AM
zodiac

NJ SBT. I really hate to see people post some innovative ideas...no matter how simple or intricate they may be... and then get "burned at the stake" by others. Not everyone in here can afford to drop $1200 on an exhaust...that's exactly what my mortgage payment is btw. IMHO, all of the people that have been flaming you about the "civic-look", $30k car, etc... either have trust funds, a ****-TON of debt or have serious insecurities. I personally think that if you like the sound, saved some dough (A LOT at that), and are innovtive enough to do what you did, then you should be given props. I DO hope that you get a chance to dyno it...I'd like to see your gains! I LMAO if you get better gains than most $1K exhaust systems. I may try this tomorrow after work...

To each his own...

Last edited by zodiac; 07-27-2006 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-27-2006 | 11:01 AM
HockeyZ39

I beat it up alittle by myself but didn't have much luck. I was kicking and pulling the hell out of it.
Old 07-27-2006 | 11:12 AM
SBT

I beat it up alittle by myself but didn't have much luck. I was kicking and pulling the hell out of it.
Keep trying...if you want, pm me your cell number...one of my best friends lives in DFW and he will be willing to help you probably. we did the same crap to his cherokee one day. i've done the same crap to my brother's cherokee and my VR4 (a lot of times).

Blue_Z: the first videos were taken with a digital camera and i held the thing with my left hand (which also held the steering wheel straight, while i shifted with my left. the latest video i posted was my friend taking the videos with a camcorder.

Zodiac: thanks! i want to dyno it too...I don't expect a gain or loss, but it would be real cool to make some power from this. i'll keep everyone updated, and if i get results, ill start a new, more concise thread with everything on one post
Old 07-27-2006 | 11:15 AM
SBT

by the way, if anyone is local or going to be in my area, im always down for wasting gas and time...i love cars too much not to.

IE: i drive 45 minutes one way in the pouring rain to see somebody's exhaust...makes my gf want to kill me.
Old 07-27-2006 | 11:30 AM
smokedout350z

damm man...lets see some more vidz or sound clipz...ur badd ***
Old 07-27-2006 | 12:01 PM
HockeyZ39

I plan to do a be4 and after dyno on my borla if I can get the muffler off. =) I would expect a loss in tq but not hp

Quick Reply: Removed Stock Muffler...My Thoughts