Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Removed Stock Muffler...My Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 11:32 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 97supratt
Isn't that what I said though? I mean, I didn't call it exhaust velocity but when I said backpressure thats what I meant. It needs some sort of restriction.
Velocity suggests that you are evacuating air at a rapid pace through the exhaust so the gasses exit away from the engine as quickly as possible.

Back-pressure suggests that you require a build-up of gas in the exhasut.

By having the right sized pipe, the expanding, hot gas is forced out of the exhaust tube at a high velocity like a gun. If the pipe is too small, the gas cant evacuate quickly enough and there is a pressure build up in the tube as air colides with air. too big of a tube and the expansion causes a slow down of the air inside the exhasut pipe, allowing air colide with air again.

In a perfect world, every exhaust should be a funnel with a continually enlarging pipe out the back.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:44 AM
Gators2001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds good to me.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:45 AM
SBT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sq40
In a perfect world, every exhaust should be a funnel with a continually enlarging pipe out the back.
no, in a perfect world, every exhaust would spit out $100 bills
Old 07-18-2006, 11:45 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SBT
no, in a perfect world, every exhaust would spit out $100 bills
When your right... Your Right...
Old 07-18-2006, 11:51 AM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sq40
When your right... Your Right...
I completely agree.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:52 AM
plumpzz

I wouldnt mind if it spit out hot *****es either.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:55 AM
97supratt

Originally Posted by plumpzz
I wouldnt mind if it spit out hot *****es either.
Okay so at the end of our extensive research, we have found the perfect exhaust spits out $100 bills and hot *****es.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:43 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 97supratt
Isn't that what I said though? I mean, I didn't call it exhaust velocity but when I said backpressure thats what I meant. It needs some sort of restriction.
No, that is not what you said. Backpressure and velocity are not the same. Further post like yours continue to spread the same shade tree folklore than keep this ridiculous myth going. Did you read the articles I posted, they explain it all quite well.

Chris
Old 07-18-2006, 01:03 PM
sry110

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

If I read the original post correctly, this guy is not too concerned with power (gain or loss) and is focusing on sound. Therefore, he wants to delete the rear muffler. He also mentioned that the car's current state, as shown in the pictures, was temporary until he could have some sort of exit pipes/tips fabricated and installed. Furthermore he mentioned something about a body kit, which I am assuming would make the lack of rear muffler less apparent. There is nothing that I can think of that makes his actions illegal, and when it's all done it may actually look decent. Let's allow the pictures to tell that tale.

And regarding legality...somebody mentioned installing test pipes instead...? Am I missing a big piece of the 350z modification puzzle, or is it not true that test pipes delete catalytic converters? How is this any more legal than removing your rear muffler and *possibly* risking an exhaust decibel level violation?

I'm confused.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:58 PM
SBT

its not more legal...there are some posts on here that are mainly just peoples opinions getting pissed in the wind. and yes...im not too concerned with power. maybe I'll dyno it sometime soon and see if it makes a difference. With a max difference of a few horsepower +/- from what the car was before...I don't really care.

just give me some time. i ordered exhaust tips and I should be getting them early next week (unless they hike the shipping for me).

I stipulated that I don't want to see any pipes from behind the car...just tips (tuck the pipes up high). I also told the guy I want the tips welded flush with the exhaust, so it is effectively all one piece from pipe to tip.

That's about it. I'm going to let them do their thing and they said they would work with me if little things were messed up here and there.

im looking to be done with this the day after i get the tips, so hopefully either the weekend or the latest monday.

-chris

Last edited by SBT; 07-18-2006 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:05 PM
97supratt

Originally Posted by SBT
its not more legal...there are some posts on here that are mainly just peoples opinions getting pissed in the wind. and yes...im not too concerned with power. maybe I'll dyno it sometime soon and see if it makes a difference. With a max difference of a few horsepower +/- from what the car was before...I don't really care.

just give me some time. i ordered exhaust tips and I should be getting them early next week (unless they hike the shipping for me).

I stipulated that I don't want to see any pipes from behind the car...just tips (tuck the pipes up high). I also told the guy I want the tips welded flush with the exhaust, so it is effectively all one piece from pipe to tip.

That's about it. I'm going to let them do their thing and they said they would work with me if little things were messed up here and there.

im looking to be done with this the day after i get the tips, so hopefully either the weekend or the latest monday.

-chris
The best of luck to you chris.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:07 PM
97supratt

Originally Posted by HyperSprite
No, that is not what you said. Backpressure and velocity are not the same. Further post like yours continue to spread the same shade tree folklore than keep this ridiculous myth going. Did you read the articles I posted, they explain it all quite well.

Chris
I actually didnt read the articles, i'm quite busy here. I will take your word for it, and I guess I didnt use the correct terminology. I was referring to velocity not backpressure.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:06 PM
sry110

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I just got a chance to listen to the sound clips since I couldn't this afternoon at work. I think it sounds pretty good! And I'm sure there is a bit of a deeper tone that the camera doesn't pick up as that tends to be the case in my experience. I am anxious to see the finished product here!
Old 07-19-2006, 03:08 AM
SBT

I took some more videos last night...I'm liking the sound more and more each time I drove it. I drove to Rutgers last night just to see plumpzz's exhaust. No droning, and if I upload those videos, you'll see that it's very quiet while cruising. It really sounds awesome. With the windows up, it sounds so cool inside the car, especially near 4000RPM.

My brother was trying to get the videos from the camcorder to his computer, so we'll see what happened. I hope it worked. If not, someone might have to help me out.

-chris
Old 07-19-2006, 10:16 AM
Old School
Shift_Boost

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Congrats! You just lost low-end and mid-range power!!!!! Why not take off the whole air intake assembly....it'll really sound good then. You don't need a filter!

If you can't afford an exhaust for your car, sell it and get a civic.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:52 AM
SBT

congrats, you're old school...go back to bed
Old 07-19-2006, 11:02 AM
Old School
Shift_Boost

Originally Posted by SBT
congrats, you're old school...go back to bed

Take the time to learn something from your elders. A real mechanical engineer would have a little sense about him and be able to afford a REAL exhaust. Look in the classifieds section....I'm sure you can find something within your McD's budget. hahaha.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:21 AM
SBT

a real engineer likes to experience for himself and doesn't take other people's words for matters at hand

don't bring ronnie into this
Old 07-19-2006, 11:27 AM
SBT

tell ya what texas...on sunday if my friend and i can make it to his shop, ill dyno the car with and without the muffler

i dont expect a gain or loss...but hopefully i can provide you all with this information

i will buy a real exhaust im sure...the SVRT is seriously AWESOME...read the threads on that if you havent
Old 07-19-2006, 11:52 AM
Old School
Shift_Boost

Just busting your *****. Straight pipe only benefits FI and high compression motors at high RPMs. Without FI, you loose low and mid range power. You'll see, this hold true to just about every NA car made today. I've seen the exhaust your referencing. I have no need for another exhaust. I have the stock one and the Greddy Evo2.

Quick Reply: Removed Stock Muffler...My Thoughts