Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

hks knock off

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 02:57 PM
taurran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350
On video it does sound like a fart can but you need to listen to it in person because it does not sound like that at all. You really cant judge the sound of an exhaust until you have heard it in person. We have talked about this topic dozens of times.
Oh really?

The other week I was riding in my gf's car and I hear this loud honda-sounding farty exhaust coming up. Half expecting to see a civic or prelude roll by, I look over and see a red F430. I've heard them multiple times (in person) in the past previous to this and I've never heard it sound quite that bad, but then again it's never been impressive. I also saw a f430 spyder running high 12's/ low 13's at the drag strip this weekend and was also not impressed. Don't get me wrong, they are nice looking cars, but they aren't the best sounding. I've heard them many times before that, and for the price and performance of that car, it could definitely sound a lot meaner.

Anyway, this is all beside the point. The HKS exhaust sounds like neither a ferrari or a civic. It does sound like it lacks ***** compared to other exhaust for the Z though. The one in the ebay add definitely sounded deeper and more aggressive than the actual HKS exhaust.

Last edited by taurran; 12-12-2006 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:04 PM
350zpeed

I think I understand the now….

“The NSX (a cheap copy of a Fiero) is better then any 350z (if you like Fiero's). But a NSX with HKS parts (and maybe a baseball bat) is the car of “Japanese Gods” or "The Fart Can God."

I think I will wait for the clip…

Last edited by 350zpeed; 12-12-2006 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:08 PM
Ghost_shift

Originally Posted by 350zpeed
I think I understand the now….

“The NSX (a cheap copy of a Fiero) is better then any 350z (if you like Fiero's). But a NSX with HKS parts (and maybe a baseball bat) is the car of “Japanese Gods”.

I think I will wait for the clip…
Old 12-12-2006, 04:25 PM
Diesel350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SergEK
Maybe in your dream world

I would take a 2005 NSX over a Z anyday of the week and twice on Sundays
Umm that's an ACURA not a Honda. Yes, Yes I know same damn company but we are talking about Honda's here not Acura's. If we are talking about Acura NSX vs 350Z then you are right most people will pick the NSX.
Hondas are above Nissan in every aspect of quality --- the only weakness Honda has is their extreme view on efficiency and keepign engine size as small as possible for a given application

If an S2000 was powered by a 3+L Honda motor the Z would be an afterthought to most people on this board- ---- but given its only equipped with a 2.0L its a different animal than the larger bore Z

I miss my old Hondas and I have no illusions about my Z's quality --- its nowhere near Honda quality but the interior volume, powerband and shape as well as price went a long way towards not fussing over the small annoying nissan details
I was referring to Honda Civics/Accords. So would you take a Civic over a Z?
Old 12-12-2006, 04:27 PM
Diesel350

Originally Posted by 97supratt
+1 on the NSX, but not every honda is that great. S2k's are awesome but they need two things; 1) more torque and 2) more room for guys my size to fit in (6'3 and above).
+1
Old 12-12-2006, 04:31 PM
Diesel350

Originally Posted by taurran
Oh really?

The other week I was riding in my gf's car and I hear this loud honda-sounding farty exhaust coming up. Half expecting to see a civic or prelude roll by, I look over and see a red F430. I've heard them multiple times (in person) in the past previous to this and I've never heard it sound quite that bad, but then again it's never been impressive. I also saw a f430 spyder running high 12's/ low 13's at the drag strip this weekend and was also not impressed. Don't get me wrong, they are nice looking cars, but they aren't the best sounding. I've heard them many times before that, and for the price and performance of that car, it could definitely sound a lot meaner.

Anyway, this is all beside the point. The HKS exhaust sounds like neither a ferrari or a civic. It does sound like it lacks ***** compared to other exhaust for the Z though. The one in the ebay add definitely sounded deeper and more aggressive than the actual HKS exhaust.
Like you said, it's personal preference. We will have to agree to disagree. I have also personally been behind the F430 and followed it for miles because I loved the exotic tone it had. I also feel the HKS has more ***** than other exhausts out there for the Z. To me the knockoff HKS sounded muffled and flat.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:00 PM
Kevins350z

On video it does sound like a fart can but you need to listen to it in person because it does not sound like that at all. You really cant judge the sound of an exhaust until you have heard it in person. We have talked about this topic dozens of times.
+1. Please don't hate if you don't have one...
Old 12-12-2006, 05:34 PM
taurran

Just coincidence, but it looks like the "quality" HKS exhaust hanger issue has struck again:

http://www.350zclubofflorida.com/php...ghlight=#19681
Old 12-12-2006, 06:26 PM
Diesel350

Just coincidence, but it looks like the "quality" HKS exhaust hanger issue has struck again:

http://www.350zclubofflorida.com/php...ghlight=#19681
OMG The world is gonna end now!!! Everyone who has the HKS exhaust sell it NOW because the "QUALITY" sucks and it will break on you!!!!

Seriously, This is not a widespread problem and every aftermarket exhaust is gonna have some type of issue. Easy fix just get it welded. Big deal. Even Nismo's have their problems.

Last edited by Diesel350; 12-12-2006 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:04 PM
taurran

OMG The world is gonna end now!!! Everyone who has the HKS exhaust sell it NOW because the "QUALITY" sucks and it will break on you!!!!

Seriously, This is not a widespread problem and every aftermarket exhaust is gonna have some type of issue. Easy fix just get it welded. Big deal. Even Nismo's have their problems.
I should have expected such an immature response...

I've read about this exact same issue on more than its fair share of occasions, and it's considered a known issue with these exhausts. If these were as superior quality as some in this thread would lead to believe, then I guess this issue would say otherwise.

But anyway, the only issues I've heard with the Nixmo (fujitsubo) exhaust is that people have shredded the flex piping on the y-pipe when bottoming out the car (which isn't a problem with the exhaust). Other than that, I'd be interested in hearing what problems people have with them.

If you want to continue this debate, I'm sure I can dig up some pics of the "quality" welds on the authentic HKS piece (they're almost as bad as the welds on the Borla exhaust). I'll see what I can do.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:44 PM
Diesel350

I should have expected such an immature response...
A prefect response to your comedic post. Why don't I start digging up posts about recurring quality issues with Turbonetics?

I've read about this exact same issue on more than its fair share of occasions, and it's considered a known issue with these exhausts. If these were as superior quality as some in this thread would lead to believe, then I guess this issue would say otherwise.
You have heard like what? 5-10 issues out of thousands of exhausts produced? Give me a break. You make it sound like every other HKS exhaust has quality issues.

But anyway, the only issues I've heard with the Nixmo (fujitsubo) exhaust is that people have shredded the flex piping on the y-pipe when bottoming out the car (which isn't a problem with the exhaust). Other than that, I'd be interested in hearing what problems people have with them.

If you want to continue this debate, I'm sure I can dig up some pics of the "quality" welds on the authentic HKS piece (they're almost as bad as the welds on the Borla exhaust). I'll see what I can do.
Uhh ok whatever you say!! People have had issues with the Nismo exhaust like rattling, rubbing, exhaust leaks, exhaust causing aftermarket cats to crack due to the Nismo exhaust "pulling up" on the cat pipe, etc, etc. Don't make it sound like the Nismo exhaust doesn't have any issues and the HKS has tons because they all have issues at some point just like any other car, product, etc you will have some defective ones produced.

Last edited by Diesel350; 12-12-2006 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:27 PM
taurran

A prefect response to your comedic post. Why don't I start digging up posts about recurring quality issues with Turbonetics?
Since when did I mention Turbonetics in this entire thread? If you really care to, go ahead and dig any references up. I gaurantee I'll debunk the vast majority of them. Besides, you're insane to compare a simple exhaust system with the complexity of an aftermarket turbo kit.

Comparing HKS to Turbonetics is difficult anyway, as Turbonetics designs their own turbocharger systems from the ground up, whereas HKS totally relies on Garrett and other developers to build their systems upon.

You have heard like what? 5-10 issues out of thousands of exhausts produced? Give me a break. You make it sound like every other HKS exhaust has quality issues.
Show me pics of the welds on your own exhaust and I'll believe they're as quality as you make it out to be. I've seen these exhausts and I assure you that compared to the Nismo/Fujitsubo/APS/etc/etc exhausts they are inferior.

Uhh ok whatever you say!! People have had issues with the Nismo exhaust like rattling, rubbing, exhaust leaks, exhaust causing aftermarket cats to crack due to the Nismo exhaust "pulling up" on the cat pipe, etc, etc. Don't make it sound like the Nismo exhaust doesn't have any issues and the HKS has tons because they all have issues at some point just like any other car, product, etc you will have some defective ones produced.
Oh I'm sure people do have issues (as with any aftermarket part), but the occurance of said issues is relatively low and not uniform as in the case of the HKS exhaust. Lets face it, there are FAR more Nismo exhausts on the road than HKS setups, and if you compare the ratio of people with no issues to those that do will be much better with the Nismo exhaust. (I still find it humerous that you consider cracked cats a defect despite the fact that its not a catback exhaust design issue)

Besides, I'm not here to defend the quality of these other exhaust systems as much as I am here to prove that it IS possible for a "knockoff" product to be a quality piece.

You, on the other hand, seem only intent to justify your own purchase of your exhaust system. Sorry if you paid too much for it.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:28 PM
k3silk

The hell with all this fighting I just want to see some real damn pics of it. who cares if you like it or not. dont like it dont buy it.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:29 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by k3silk
The hell with all this fighting I just want to see some real damn pics of it. who cares if you like it or not. dont like it dont buy it.

Just don't question the godlike quality of the almighty H - K - S.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:36 PM
Zexy

I like HKS exhaust! Have never had problems with both of them i've had.

I think they have the best sound too. It doesn't sounds "farty" either whatsoever.

Craig where the heck are the Run pics

Last edited by Zexy; 12-12-2006 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:45 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by Zexy
I like HKS exhaust! Have never had problems with both of them i've had.

I think they have the best sound too. It doesn't sounds "farty" either whatsoever.

Craig where the heck are the Run pics
277 of them as of now here:

http://www.350zclubofflorida.com/php...1213&pc_t=2526

There are more around at other sources. Enjoy.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:53 AM
Diesel350

Since when did I mention Turbonetics in this entire thread? If you really care to, go ahead and dig any references up. I gaurantee I'll debunk the vast majority of them. Besides, you're insane to compare a simple exhaust system with the complexity of an aftermarket turbo kit.

Comparing HKS to Turbonetics is difficult anyway, as Turbonetics designs their own turbocharger systems from the ground up, whereas HKS totally relies on Garrett and other developers to build their systems upon.
This is exactly my point. It's just silly to bring up that there are recurring issues with this exhaust like you state because that's simply not true. Just like it was completely silly for me to say there are recurring issues with Turbonetics.

Show me pics of the welds on your own exhaust and I'll believe they're as quality as you make it out to be. I've seen these exhausts and I assure you that compared to the Nismo/Fujitsubo/APS/etc/etc exhausts they are inferior.
Do you think I have time to compare my welds to every other exhaust on the market? I don't have to justify to you that I have a quality piece. All that matters in my opinion is that I'm completely happy with it.

Oh I'm sure people do have issues (as with any aftermarket part), but the occurance of said issues is relatively low and not uniform as in the case of the HKS exhaust. Lets face it, there are FAR more Nismo exhausts on the road than HKS setups, and if you compare the ratio of people with no issues to those that do will be much better with the Nismo exhaust. (I still find it humerous that you consider cracked cats a defect despite the fact that its not a catback exhaust design issue)
You keep saying there are more issues with HKS. I don't see them. You make it out to seem like everyother HKS has a problem but like I said before I bet you can't find more than 10 people with a quality issue out of thousands of exhausts produced. The cracked cats were a DIRECT result of the Nismo exhaust pulling up on the cat. I thought I already explained this. Do you see that happening with HKS and aftermarket cats?
Besides, I'm not here to defend the quality of these other exhaust systems as much as I am here to prove that it IS possible for a "knockoff" product to be a quality piece.
How can you PROVE the HKS knockoff is a quality piece? You haven't even seen it yet and it hasn't been installed on anyone's car yet. LOL Your posts are pure comedy. I keep laughing.
You, on the other hand, seem only intent to justify your own purchase of your exhaust system. Sorry if you paid too much for it.
No, I'm trying to debunk your outlandish claims about the HKS not being a quality piece and that it has recurring problems all the time. Keep making up garbage why don't you? And I got a nice discount on the purchase of my HKS THANK YOU!!

Last edited by Diesel350; 12-13-2006 at 06:33 AM.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:56 PM
Ghost_shift

And I got a nice discount on the purchase of my HKS THANK YOU!!
There ya go. Thats why he is so gung ho about all of this. Im proud of you!!

You will go on in the HKS Hall of Fame as the best sales rep they never had to pay a dime too. But wait, if we buy today, do we get a second one for free???? Operators are standing by.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:08 PM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Now back to your regularly scheduled request for pics and sound files.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:55 PM
taurran

The cracked cats were a DIRECT result of the Nismo exhaust pulling up on the cat. I thought I already explained this. Do you see that happening with HKS and aftermarket cats?
"pulling up"... ok.... Cracked cats would be most likely the factor of A) cheap design and crappy welds (kinetix cats), B) The fact that many aftermarket cats do not retain the factory brace that bolts to the bottom of the transmission, and C) A low exhaust on a lowered car that was bottomed out violently in the past. It has nothing to do with the design of the "cat back" exhaust.

How can you PROVE the HKS knockoff is a quality piece? You haven't even seen it yet and it hasn't been installed on anyone's car yet. LOL Your posts are pure comedy. I keep laughing.
That was in reference to other pieces on the market. How can YOU prove that it is NOT a quality piece? You haven't seen it and you're the one already passing judgement upon it. I'm saying that after seeing the actual HKS piece in person, it's possible that this exhaust could have similar or better quality.

If you think that making yourself look like a fool by arguing with me is funny, then so be it.

No, I'm trying to debunk your outlandish claims about the HKS not being a quality piece and that it has recurring problems all the time. Keep making up garbage why don't you? And I got a nice discount on the purchase of my HKS THANK YOU!!
Stand by for the pics I'm trying to get from a friend.

Quick Reply: hks knock off