Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

borla?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 04:27 PM
Shamus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Borla on my Z. I have two comments:

Borla designed this thing to fit a Z. That being the case, why couldn't they put alignment marks on the pipes to aid installation?

And I've decided I'm taking my car to a exhaust fabricator to get a cross pipe to replace the "H" pipe. I really really expected better from Borla than this!
Old 05-30-2007, 07:28 PM
carlos067

ok so here is a quick update guys... I decided to guinea pig it with the transverse muffler that I mentioned before and results are as follows. For one I found the only mandrel bender in town, he quoted me $250 for aluminized 3" from the y pipe to the muffler, and install of a 2.5"in 3"out y pipe that I brought him. I thought to my self that this was awsome and the whole 9 yards. So I went with a friend to pick up my car today and to say the least... what a f#$@in disappointment. The shop for one SUCKS!!!! when I got home I took a look at their "mandrel bends" and they look like someone could have seriously done better with crush bent. Second Im assuming the guy didnt have any spare 3" flanges, so what does he do? He took my stock exhaust cut mid pipe from the flange (y-pipe side) to where the resonator sits, cut that and welded it to the 3" pipe, so he had the 3" outlet bolted to the 2.25" (or whatever is stock) for about 2' and then welded it to the 3 " pipe. after that the 3 bends that are neccesary look pingy as **** which led to the muffler which was mounted at a 45degree angle from the front of the car, so it looks like I have some sort of scoop from the back bumper, and aside from that it looked like he might have over bent the end that led to the muffler inlet by a 1/4" so he decided to fill that gap with about an 3/8" weld. And to top things off the muffler sounds NOTHING like the videos, to me it sounds just a bit louder than stock with a very distinctive VQ sound, but regardless that was not what I really wanted. Somewhere along the line I think the guy did something else to make his car sound so sick. Because it is most definetly not the muffler he said.

So in retrospect,I feel like a complete fu#$in dumba$$ for leaving with the car like that, but it might have been for the best because I don't think anything good would have come from me getting heated with the guy. So tommorow I will go to a local mechanic that is a close friend of all the car guys up here and he said he can help out on what I need to do next (he's a real cool guy), as far as how how I should go back and confront the guy that put in my exhaust. And I guess if it comes to it I could take the guy to small claims court for my $250. Also Ill post some pics tommorow to show you guys what I mean.

whewww thanks for listening to my rant.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:40 AM
HondaKiller
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a feeling for $250 it was giong to he a hack em up job. I've been quoted much more to do any welding to my borla exhaust. My quotes come from a reputable turbo shop. $250 is about half of what a good custom welded exhaust should run to install. Sorry about your loss, live and learn, hopefully your friend will be able to bandage up some of the ignorance the muffler shop created.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:23 AM
ANXIOUZ

Ouch, that sounds terrible. Sorry it didn't work out. I don't have the ballz to be a guinea pig.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:37 PM
carlos067

hey guys here are some pics of my sh!tty exhaust https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....47#post3846947

oh and HELP!!!!