Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Ideas on Exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 06:14 PM
johnnyblaze

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideas on Exhausts

I was going over different exhaust methods from a lot of different exhaust shops, i talked with techs from Borla, Bassani, Flowmaster and they all said the same thing pretty much. For the most power for Dual exhaust applications you need to apply an x-pipe. I recently just sold my 2001 Lightning and i had the Bassani Dual X-pipe cat back, it made a large difference and the sound was amazing. So i was thinking of designing an exhaust built off the same technology of an X-pipe using Borla Mufflers for a true DUAL setup. If anyone else is interested about this exhaust (over those $1,800 exhausts for 8hp) i will first dyno my car then add the full system and dyno it again to see what the gains are. I will keep you updated. and i will add up a price once i get everything together, but give me an idea for an ideal price for a full CAT back system, including starting from the cats themselves Mandrel Bent to the x-pipe + mufflers with dual exit to fit the current stock setup ( tip exits ).
Old 04-29-2003, 09:55 PM
03daytonablue

Good idea, Im glad to see you doing this a few cars ago I had a 2001 gt mustang many bolt-ons but the thing I miss the most was the bassani cat back exhaust and sound/performance I got from the complete system with X-pipe all the way back. I took my car in about a month ago to a very nice exhaust shop and went over some ideas with them and the only thing that we felt was the best idea keeping sound, performance, ect.... in mind was a dual exhaust with hand made x-pipe right after the cats. The only reason I backed out was no one was sure exactly what size piping we should use for max power through out the entire RPM range good luck!
Old 04-30-2003, 02:10 PM
RaggedyMan

I love the idea of adding a true dual exhaust to the Z. There doesn't seem to be a lot of extra room in the underside photos I've seen. Any ideas how to get two pipes through the tight spot near the differential?
Old 05-01-2003, 05:07 AM
FLY BY Z

Just follow the lines of the stillen. This is most likely what I will be doing too.
Old 05-01-2003, 10:22 AM
03daytonablue

Do you guys know what diameter piping stillen has used on there dual exhaust?
Old 05-01-2003, 11:20 AM
12SecZ

It should be 2.5 all the way back, 3 is too big unless you go Turbo.
Old 05-01-2003, 09:28 PM
webcarconnection

Default Re: Ideas on Exhausts

Originally posted by johnnyblaze
I was going over different exhaust methods from a lot of different exhaust shops, i talked with techs from Borla, Bassani, Flowmaster and they all said the same thing pretty much. For the most power for Dual exhaust applications you need to apply an x-pipe. I recently just sold my 2001 Lightning and i had the Bassani Dual X-pipe cat back, it made a large difference and the sound was amazing. So i was thinking of designing an exhaust built off the same technology of an X-pipe using Borla Mufflers for a true DUAL setup. If anyone else is interested about this exhaust (over those $1,800 exhausts for 8hp) i will first dyno my car then add the full system and dyno it again to see what the gains are. I will keep you updated. and i will add up a price once i get everything together, but give me an idea for an ideal price for a full CAT back system, including starting from the cats themselves Mandrel Bent to the x-pipe + mufflers with dual exit to fit the current stock setup ( tip exits ).

Borla use H pipe in there true dual system (Greddy too) not X pipes, the only using X pipes is Stillen.
You can use 2" pipes w/o resonetors with 2 borlas XR1 mufflers... Oh and DO NOT CROSS THE MUFFLERS like Stillen , go straight thru the mufflers, this is the mistake that Stillen commit.
you can start with $500.00 a system, if you gain more than 15 whp I guarantee a sold out!

Last edited by webcarconnection; 05-01-2003 at 09:36 PM.
Old 05-02-2003, 10:56 AM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Default Greddy exhaust from IAS

I dropped down and took some pics
Attached Thumbnails Ideas on Exhausts-ias12-small-.jpg  
Old 05-02-2003, 10:57 AM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

...keep in mind this was for their turbo, so I believe those are 3+ inch pipes

Just posting these for some ideas on positioning/mounting
Attached Thumbnails Ideas on Exhausts-ias13-small-.jpg  
Old 05-02-2003, 02:12 PM
johnnyblaze

I mean to mandrel my own x-pipes not to copy someone elses idea and try to keep the weight of everything down. I wouldnt use anything bigger than i believe my muffler guy said 2 1/4 or 2 3/4 i ll have to call him on that. I know the prototype will most likely run me a good amount of money but no where near stillen's price
Old 05-02-2003, 02:21 PM
300ZX

you want a lot of power from exhaust? leave the stock exhaust and install a 3" e-cutout. its basically an electronically controlled valve that opens yout exhaust to vent directly to the air after the headers. its totally illegal to have it open while on the street, but as soon as you get to the track, flip the switch and pop it open to bypass the cat, muffler(s) and all the piping. im not 100% positive if they make one for the 350 specifically, but it could easilly be made from already existing parts from kits for other cars.

Last edited by 300ZX; 05-02-2003 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-02-2003, 02:31 PM
300ZX

sorry i suck at drawing......

anyway, attatch one to each side and you're set.
Attached Thumbnails Ideas on Exhausts-cutout.gif  
Old 05-02-2003, 02:42 PM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Originally posted by 300ZX
to bypass the cat, muffler(s) and all the piping.
We did this with a friend's WRX and it sounds MEAN.

However this won't work in an NA application. It would cause a huge loss in backpressure and power. It only works with turbo/SC setups.

But i'd sure like to hear what it sounds like!
Old 05-02-2003, 02:45 PM
300ZX

ah.. no wonder i've never seen a n/a car with one
Old 05-02-2003, 06:42 PM
12SecZ

I have never seen a cut out that bypasses the cats, the ones I had (manual on my Z28) and electric on my FireHawk were all cat backwards.

Where would it fit pre cats on our Z's?

I don't think this mod applies to our cars.

They are good for a .1 at the track even on N/A cars lots of N/A cars run them at my track.

This is the one I had
Attached Thumbnails Ideas on Exhausts-qtecdisplay.jpg  

Last edited by 12SecZ; 05-02-2003 at 06:45 PM.
Old 05-02-2003, 07:56 PM
300ZX

here is one was mounted directly after the turbo (before the cat) in "cheesefrog's" civic:

and before you start going OMG CIVIC RICE CRAP, it holds even with a 10 second viper as shown in his video http://www.cheesefrog.com/frog/cheezevsal.mpg
Old 05-02-2003, 08:05 PM
12SecZ

Default OMG that's friggen sweet

I don't generalize or classify things.

If a car is faster than yours it wins, I don't care what kind of car it is.

That's just me and that is a sweet setup.

Thanks for the pic, first I have ever seen a setup like that.

I think that is why there are so many Honda's and Accura's here in Sac, they are mod friendly. And parts are cheap and readily available!

DC makes a 10HP header for them for like 300 bucks!

Not much room in the bay of our Z's though. Or underneath for that matter.
Old 05-02-2003, 09:03 PM
FLY BY Z

Originally posted by zxsaint

However this won't work in an NA application. It would cause a huge loss in backpressure and power. It only works with turbo/SC setups.

But i'd sure like to hear what it sounds like! [/B]
Oh? So that must be why all Nascar, NA NHRA cars and others with no FI run full factory exhaust with mufflers rather than open headers! What was I thinking?
Old 05-04-2003, 08:28 PM
FLY BY Z

Originally posted by BCioli
Mr Patao dude i doinbt know what you are talkina bout if you lok at the exaust on a Winsoton cup car then you will see there are knwo mufflers just straight pipe. And were do you see mufflers on a top fuler if you can find them i would love to see them
Another failed attempt at sarcasm. Sorry BCioli.

Quick Reply: Ideas on Exhausts