Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Polished Injen/JWT Pop Charger Hybrid Full CAI Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 10:57 PM
all_bark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polished Injen/JWT Pop Charger Hybrid Full CAI Install

So I set out today to install the CAI hybrid set up I have been thinking about for some time. I have been waiting on the polished injen intake for a long time since it was not available. I have had the pop charger since just about day one. OK, on to the install.

Being that this is a design I have not seen and being that no one responded to my plea for help in an earlier thread, I decided I better take the bumper off to help make all three installs go easier. (Along with the intake I also installed the JDM Smoked Sidemarkers with custom LED's and the JDM sports horns)

Off comes the bumper. Not hard at all. I followed the instructions by SKiDaZZLe from here:
Bumper Removal

Then I removed the pop charger and stock intake. Easy.

After I got the parts out I moved on to the install following these well written install proceedures (thanks 350ZSpeedRacer!) Injen Intake Install

I then installed the Injen heat shield. First problem.

The heat shield when lined up with the manifolds screws was touching some sort of heater line (I think) so a modification needed to be made. I got out my grinder and made a small notch on the heat shield where the part would have touched. Here are a few pic's of what I did:
Attached Thumbnails Polished Injen/JWT Pop Charger Hybrid Full CAI Install-heatshield-cut.jpg  
Old 05-18-2003, 10:59 PM
all_bark

The part that was cut is just to the right of the injen name on the heat shield (above photo). This picture (below) more closely shows it after installing it in the car. Putting it in the car was easy.
Attached Thumbnails Polished Injen/JWT Pop Charger Hybrid Full CAI Install-heatshield-cut-installed.jpg  
Old 05-18-2003, 11:03 PM
all_bark

I then installed the polished upper, mass air sensor and lower tube (just like the instructions illustrate) and this was all pretty easy. I did forget to take the piece out where the black intake tube goes through the wall next to the radiatior. After realizing it would not work with it in I then realized it had to come out!
Attached Thumbnails Polished Injen/JWT Pop Charger Hybrid Full CAI Install-injeninstall1.jpg  
Old 05-18-2003, 11:13 PM
all_bark

When I received the injen intake I ordered (from Coz, you can find him in the vendor classifieds section, good guy FYI) He sent along an adapter that connects to the pop charger to allow it to hook into the injen intake tube.

Now comes the tricky part. The pop charger will not fit into the radiator area where it needs to be to hook into the injen intake tube! I needed to find a way to connect the pop charger to the injen intake tube, it needed some sort of extension.

Here is what I did. At first I went to Kragen and started looking for 3" radiator hose. They did not have any but told me World Wide auto parts would so I went over to there store. The had one but it was preformed and not really what I thought I needed so I decided to go to the home depot.

Guess at what I found, A three inch plumbing pipe thich rubber connector. It seemed to be perfect! So I got this thing and headed home (the part was less than $5.00)

Here is a pic of the tube:
Attached Thumbnails Polished Injen/JWT Pop Charger Hybrid Full CAI Install-injen-connector-2.jpg  
Old 05-18-2003, 11:14 PM
all_bark

It is extreemely smooth inside, is the exact diameter of the other tubes and is perfectly straight.
Attached Thumbnails Polished Injen/JWT Pop Charger Hybrid Full CAI Install-injen-connector-3.jpg  
Old 05-18-2003, 11:15 PM
all_bark

So here are the two parts that need this connector;
Attached Thumbnails Polished Injen/JWT Pop Charger Hybrid Full CAI Install-injen-connector.jpg  
Old 05-18-2003, 11:17 PM
all_bark

In the above photo the pop charger is on the left (with the adapter that came from Coz) and the injen last piece of the intake (that normally connects to the injen filter) is on the right.

Here they are connected togeather. The two 'sticks sticking out on the left are the injen mount (built into that piece of the injen intake) and the piece that comes with the pop charger to hold it in place. The injen hold down is not used and could be cut off (I did not remove mine) and the pop charge hold down is used to secure the filter as I will show in a minute.
Attached Thumbnails Polished Injen/JWT Pop Charger Hybrid Full CAI Install-combo-w-holder.jpg  

Last edited by all_bark; 05-18-2003 at 11:23 PM.
Old 05-18-2003, 11:21 PM
wu350Z

nice write up
Old 05-18-2003, 11:24 PM
all_bark

Thanks, I am still working on it, check it out again in a bit!

Then a rough install to check for fit
Attached Thumbnails Polished Injen/JWT Pop Charger Hybrid Full CAI Install-injeninstall2.jpg  

Last edited by all_bark; 05-18-2003 at 11:42 PM.
Old 05-18-2003, 11:25 PM
all_bark

and then a quick bumper check for fit
Attached Thumbnails Polished Injen/JWT Pop Charger Hybrid Full CAI Install-testfit.jpg  
Old 05-18-2003, 11:28 PM
all_bark

Being that it all fit nicely, without the pop charger hitting the radiator I decided to start the final install. Being that the connection hose I am using is not a radiator hose I decided to "beef it up" a little to protect it from any possible heat. I purchase some of this tape that is, well, you could use it to patch a hole in a radiator hose and will supposedly hold for you! It is rated to something like 600 degrees F! BTW - I got the tape at Napa Auto Parts

Here is a pic of that!
Attached Thumbnails Polished Injen/JWT Pop Charger Hybrid Full CAI Install-tape.jpg  
Old 05-18-2003, 11:31 PM
all_bark

So I taped up my connector. I left the clamp partially exposed for when I have to remove and clean the filter.
Attached Thumbnails Polished Injen/JWT Pop Charger Hybrid Full CAI Install-combo-w-holder-and-tape.jpg  
Old 05-18-2003, 11:32 PM
all_bark

And then I installed it. Here is the pop charger holder connected to the hood release latch. (as you can see there is no protective tape, this must have been a test install photo!) BTW - See my JDM Sports Horns on the left!?!?!
Attached Thumbnails Polished Injen/JWT Pop Charger Hybrid Full CAI Install-popholder.jpg  

Last edited by all_bark; 05-18-2003 at 11:44 PM.
Old 05-18-2003, 11:35 PM
all_bark

The holder that came with the pop charger needed to be repositioned alittle so it would connect to the bottom nut/bolt that is on the hood latch. I then used 2 zip ties to pull the filter over a little more just to make sure it will never touch the radiator (and believe me it wont!)

Here is a pic of the holder/zip tie installed
Attached Thumbnails Polished Injen/JWT Pop Charger Hybrid Full CAI Install-holder-and-tape-installed.jpg  

Last edited by all_bark; 05-18-2003 at 11:38 PM.
Old 05-18-2003, 11:41 PM
all_bark

That is pretty much it! Here is the install after I put it back togeather. See how the pop charger sits more in the middle of the grill than the injen filter does? I think I like it better like that!
Attached Thumbnails Polished Injen/JWT Pop Charger Hybrid Full CAI Install-finished-install.jpg  

Last edited by all_bark; 05-18-2003 at 11:46 PM.
Old 05-18-2003, 11:53 PM
all_bark

Finally - two last things.

One - No review as of yet to tell you about. After the install I had hockey practice (I do not drive the Z to hockey because of the NASTY smell/funk that comes with playing hockey and I do not want to ruin that new car smell!) So you will have to wait. I am driving to Sun Valley Idaho (from San Diego) this next week and I will give you all a review after I get back. I am hoping it gives me a nice improvement, well see. I am also thinking it is time to take it in for a dyno!

Two - If you plan to do this hybrid CAI you need one more thing. The screws that come with the adapter are to short. They go through the adapter but not far enough into the pop charger to securely hold it. I opted to go to the hard ware store and get 4 6mm hex bolts in a 1" thread length. They are the perfect size. Here is my last picture, I hope you liked my write up.

thank you and goodnight!
Attached Thumbnails Polished Injen/JWT Pop Charger Hybrid Full CAI Install-one-inch-bolts.jpg  

Last edited by all_bark; 05-18-2003 at 11:55 PM.
Old 05-19-2003, 01:12 AM
BlackZ33

Thanks for the detailed write-up