Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Nismo Gasket Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 02:38 PM
Accordaleer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nismo Gasket Question

Hey guys, Im buying a nismo from another member, and he said he's going to include the bolts it came with. My question is about the gaskets, I've never put an exhaust on, I know its simple but going to have a muffler place do it for 90 bucks. Am I correct to assume I need to buy new gaskets? Also do they have to be nismo gaskets. I stopped by the dealership to see and he told me they just have the regular gaskets for the stock exhaust, the total for the 3 on the Y pipe, and the one on the muffler came to like 66 dollars. Just wondering, the exhaust is going to sit in my garage until I get paid if thats the case. Thank in advance.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:58 PM
pmohr

2x Y-cats: 20692-1E810 $8.66 each
1x Y-midpipe: 20692-65J00 $8.67
1x midpipe-rear section: 20691-0P600 $7.13

That's $33.12 before tax, shipping, and that's with courtesy nissan too. Call up Dave B, he'll get you a great deal on OEM parts if you can wait the two days or so it'd take to be shipped out to you.

1-888-254-6060, ask for Dave Burnette. Great guy.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:42 PM
itsjiggajames

Originally Posted by pmohr@Altered
2x Y-cats: 20692-1E810 $8.66 each
1x Y-midpipe: 20692-65J00 $8.67
1x midpipe-rear section: 20691-0P600 $7.13

That's $33.12 before tax, shipping, and that's with courtesy nissan too. Call up Dave B, he'll get you a great deal on OEM parts if you can wait the two days or so it'd take to be shipped out to you.

1-888-254-6060, ask for Dave Burnette. Great guy.
Wow, that guy has been in the business for a good 10 years I believe. I remember him back in 2001 on maxima.org.. +1 for daveb.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:21 PM
JonnyC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stock gaskets will not work with the Nismo. Well, the two cat-to-y-pipe gaskets will work, but the other ones won't. The mid-pipe to canister gasket is a ring/crush gasket, and is a little bigger than 3" diameter. The Nismo hardware set is like $90 (or some crazy amount) and the parts can't be purchased individually. I called around to a bunch of muffler shops and went to Napa, and no one had anything that big that would work. I ended up just buying a roll of high-temp gasket material from the local parts store and cut out my own - doubled up for the b-pipe to canister, since it's normally a metal ring and not normal gasket material.

I've only put a few miles on before it went into storage, so we'll see how it holds up.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:37 PM
Accordaleer

Damnit, got excited until saw the last post, guess it really will sit in my garage for a while, my savings account was cleared out heh. Thanks btw.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:32 AM
pmohr

Originally Posted by itsjiggajames
Wow, that guy has been in the business for a good 10 years I believe. I remember him back in 2001 on maxima.org.. +1 for daveb.
Yep, that's where I know him from too.

Originally Posted by JonnyC
The stock gaskets will not work with the Nismo. Well, the two cat-to-y-pipe gaskets will work, but the other ones won't. The mid-pipe to canister gasket is a ring/crush gasket, and is a little bigger than 3" diameter. The Nismo hardware set is like $90 (or some crazy amount) and the parts can't be purchased individually. I called around to a bunch of muffler shops and went to Napa, and no one had anything that big that would work. I ended up just buying a roll of high-temp gasket material from the local parts store and cut out my own - doubled up for the b-pipe to canister, since it's normally a metal ring and not normal gasket material.

I've only put a few miles on before it went into storage, so we'll see how it holds up.
Ah, my apologies. Figured Nissan wouldn't be using different gaskets just for the Nismo, but...eh well.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:28 AM
JonnyC

Originally Posted by Accordaleer
Damnit, got excited until saw the last post, guess it really will sit in my garage for a while, my savings account was cleared out heh. Thanks btw.
Yeah, sorry man. I picked up a used Nismo for cheap, but it didn't come with any of the hardware either. So i just went to the hardware store and got some bolts/nuts, and then made my own rear gasket (you can probably find the y-pipe to mid-pipe gasket somewhere). Ended up being like $10 total - instead of the crazy price of the Nismo hardware kit.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:15 PM
itsjiggajames

Originally Posted by JonnyC

I used my stock gaskets? Is it different for 07s and up? I have no leaks either.. or at least I don't think so. Been driving like this for close to a year.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:25 PM
JonnyC

Hmm...it must be different for '07, because the stock exhaust isn't 3" for my '03 - and that's what the Nismo is.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:36 PM
Accordaleer

Well I purchased the gasket kit even though im dead broke... gonna have to drive conservatively until next thursday, whatever, guess better to be safe than sorry. There anyone on the forum that works for the nismo shop? My air filters are on back order and I'de like to see how long before they get them in, I dont wanna have a random 102 dollars taken outta my account unexpectedly. Rather buy them when they have them in stock and use that 100 bucks to have the exhaust put on.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:19 AM
itsjiggajames

Ok so I found out that using the stock gaskets on a nismo could restrict air flow a little bit since the nismo exhaust piping is 76mm and the stock piping is like 67mm or so.. therefore the gasket would be somewhat showing inside the pipe. Anyone know if this could lead to slight rasping that I have? I'm going to change it out anyway but I'm curious.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:04 PM
JonnyC

Lead to rasping? It could. Either way it would be best to get the correct gaskets.

Which gaskets are we talking about anyways? The mid-pipe to canister is a ring/crush gasket, so you wouldn't have even been able to use your stock one (they wouldn't fit on there, since it has to go around the pipe). Maybe you didn't use one on there at all? I tried that - but putting my hand around it you could feel the huge exhaust leak.

If we're talking about the y-pipe to mid-pipe then yes, that will be restrictive.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:05 PM
zstreet86

i bought the gasket and bolt kit from my local dealer, they had to special order it so it took like 4 days but it came out to 64 and some change total.

having bought some gaskets back when i installed my headers, let me say they are different. the stock gaskets are metal and the nismo gaskets are some kind of paper material.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:50 PM
Accordaleer

I assume I will have to buy new y pipe gaskets when I get HFC or test pipes right? The stock gaskets are like thin sheets of metal while the nismo ones looked soft. Will the regular ones do the job?
Old 03-22-2008, 07:26 PM
Sunset350ZR

Ok I just changed all the Gaskets on my Nismo exhaust so here is the deal. The cat to y-pipe gaskets are close but the gaskets that I got for the Nismo was a tad bit larger and I mean a tad so probabl stock will work here but I went ahead and got mine from Berk. The Y-pipe to Mid pipe was a huge difference so order those from Berk for sure. I just got two set of gakets for the above piping for 60 something shipped.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:25 PM
Accordaleer

the nismo shop has had the nismo gasket package for a while and its cheaper now, of course after i bought mine they lowered like all their prices, go figure.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:15 AM
ttbbsolid

Accordaleer.
did u buy it from nismoparts.com?
i can't find the gasket package.
can you tell me where i can get it and part number if possible?
thanks
Old 04-18-2008, 09:31 AM
KManZ
Banned

Just to make sure here: the Nismo gaskets come w/ the exhaust when buying new, correct? Just want to make sure I don't have to order them after I receive the exhaust...
Old 04-19-2008, 10:17 PM
JonnyC

Yes, they will come with a new Nismo exhaust. I bought mine used and the guy didn't have the gaskets somehow.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:40 AM
Gizmo0803

if i buy a nismo exhaust used and they somehow managed to keep the gaskets on the exhaust when they removed it, would it be safe to re-use these gaskets? assuming the gaskets were the ones supplied with the nismo exhaust when it was purchased new.

Quick Reply: Nismo Gasket Question