Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

06 airbox pix

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 09:35 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
You posted the article
I know, the point being im sure they didnt dyno the car with hood open, but i dont know....so if i cant answer this, how could you?
Old 08-17-2009, 09:36 AM
Jeff92se

Received 1,078 Likes on 970 Posts

Here's a question. Do you think NA mods are capable of outflowing the air that the oem airbox/panel filter is capable of providing? And what makes you think the aftermarket units are able to flow more/less?
Old 08-17-2009, 09:40 AM
Jeff92se

Originally Posted by GeauxLadyZ
I know, the point being im sure they didnt dyno the car with hood open, but i dont know....so if i cant answer this, how could you?
Why I think yes

1) Car's front wheels are blocked, like they are when on the dyno machine
2) Wire is sticking out from the engine bay as if it's ready to be dyno'd
3) Would you close the hood on a wire that's sticking out of the engine bay
4) From what I remember, they didn't close the hood when I got dyno'd last

Wait here's another pic of a G35 being dyno'd.

You're turn.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:43 AM
Jeff92se

Wait I found a video of Berk Tech's cat dyno session with the Z. Hood open or closed?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MF2JXqzVcfM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MF2JXqzVcfM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 08-17-2009, 09:48 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Here's a question. Do you think NA mods are capable of outflowing the air that the oem airbox/panel filter is capable of providing? And what makes you think the aftermarket units are able to flow more/less?
I dont, ive only seen dynos on the net about JWT beating out the stock DE intake and all a/m ones it was tested against. Ive also seen dynos here in Houston with before after JWT's, but these are not my cars, however they were the reason i chose JWT.

I havent seen dynos compairing stock 06 box with a/m on a DE, thats why ive chosen to go with (when i bought the JWT a while back) the JWT. If i had to guess, i would say a larger velocity stack wouldnt make that much of a difference, and i would think that an open filter would be able to pull in more from areas such as the the front of the fender. I dont think heat soak is as bad as many say, because of the massive amounts of air flowing through the bay while driving.

By n/a mods, do you mean a/m intakes?

I am no car engineer, i go by what facts i can find, and there were many supporting the JWT when i bought it. Like i said, if i can find these dynos on 06 box vs aftermarket on a DE, i would say im wrong. All i ask for is proof, and those toolbags like the canadian boy just spout out insults instead of providing it.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:54 AM
Jeff92se

The larger revup velocity stack won't "outflow" the older airboxes. Older/newer airboxes for the VQ35 Zs have the same flow capabilities.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:55 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Wait I found a video of Berk Tech's cat dyno session with the Z. Hood open or closed?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MF2JXqzVcfM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MF2JXqzVcfM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Ok dude, your right, they prob dynoed the car with hood open. Ok, happy?

I have seen in person the hood closed but not latched, even with cables attached. I couldnt care less about whether they did or not, or whether they used a fan in front like they should have or not. I simply believe that the intake is an improvement and better than most, if all, a/m intakes for the DE.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:59 AM
Reality350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats it? Why not contribute something or not say anything?
I feel no need to elaborate or provide insight... why? -because "you can't fix stupid"..
So there is no hope for you..

You could have searched and found the answers to your questions from:
- Hydrazine (Tony@motordyne), Adam@Z1
^These two gentlemen have answered most of (if not all) your questions...
Old 08-17-2009, 10:01 AM
GeauxLadyZ

The larger revup velocity stack won't "outflow" the older airboxes. Older/newer airboxes for the VQ35 Zs have the same flow capabilities.
So then the question here really is about the impact of heat soak, correct? Outside vs. inside filter?
Old 08-17-2009, 10:03 AM
Jeff92se

So then the question here really is about the impact of heat soak, correct? Outside vs. inside filter?
rev up vs non revup? No.

revup / non rev up vs aftermarket? Basicly yes.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:04 AM
Reality350

LoL! noobery...
Old 08-17-2009, 10:05 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Originally Posted by Reality350

You could have searched and found the answers to your questions from:
- Hydrazine (Tony@motordyne), Adam@Z1
^These two gentlemen have answered most of (if not all) your questions...

Fixed.

Dont worry kiddo, your forum face is safe enough, no need to keep talking.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:06 AM
GeauxLadyZ

revup / non rev up vs aftermarket? Basicly yes.
THis is what i was referring to concerning heat soak.

Last edited by GeauxLadyZ; 08-17-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:07 AM
Reality350

Fixed.

Dont worry kiddo, your forum face is safe enough, no need to keep talking.
THANK YOU!
Old 08-17-2009, 10:11 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Originally Posted by Reality350
LoL! noobery...
For the dyno i saw them run concerning intake/plenum mods, they shut the hood unlatched w/ fan in front as i stated earlier.

I would think this would be more accurate, no?
Old 08-17-2009, 10:13 AM
Reality350

For the dyno i saw them run concerning intake/plenum mods, they shut the hood unlatched w/ fan in front as i stated earlier.

I would think this would be more accurate, no?
https://my350z.com/forum/7658104-post31.html
Old 08-17-2009, 10:23 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Ok, let me ask you this, if heatsoak is such a major issue, then in what application is an open filter ever good? Assuming the intake is non-ca and still inside the bay.

Last edited by GeauxLadyZ; 08-17-2009 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:10 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Well, i read that discussion Tony and Adam had...and it seemed unclear either way. Bottom line seemed to be theres no telling what the gains would be because a dyno just doesnt place the car in optimal conditions to test this.

They went back and forth, Adam pro CAI and Tony pro stock. There was no real conclusion, only that air temp at MAF is higher with open w/heatsheild, and even higher with open/no shield. But nothing showing airflow increases/decreases among intakes.

For me, this still remains unconluded and even in the threads you, Canada, requested i read, showed no Dyno results with a stock box versus a/m setup, even if such results in a bad enviroment mattered. Im 100% sure Tony has these dyno results, but unsure of what mods the car already has and if tunes were preformed during/in between. Both say dyno results are hard to get with intakes, and a 2-3 difference could just as well be dyno error accross runs. If anything, you seem to be just riding Tony's jock on this subject, when it still remains unconcluded. I know the man knows his VQ's better than most, but this is by no means an "accross the board" decision with multiple results proving such, or least not enough for you to speak as if you have a clear answer and im missing it.

As "03threefifty" put it in a previous thread about the PC:

"I always here about heatsoak this and that, but when you actually log the AIT's while moving the temperature is typically only 1-2C over the outside temperature. I honestly think people are just flapping their gums without any proof to back it up. It only matters to people who are dyno queens when the car is stagnant. I'll gladly change my tune if someone can actually show a difference in operating AIT b/w 06 box and pop charger."

Last edited by GeauxLadyZ; 08-17-2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:21 PM
Jeff92se

Ever wonder why Cobb insists their tunes are done on oem intake boxes?
Old 08-17-2009, 01:22 PM
Jeff92se

Yes and no. If the JWT could adequately seal off the engine bay heat, you probably wouldn't lose any low end. But when you sit at a light on a hot day, it signifcantely raises the temp over the maf for the 1st 10-30 seconds. THAT will hurt the lowend via the ecu dialing back the ign curve due to the altered maf and probably IAT readings. Hydrazine has commented on this more than a few times. Again, it only affects the 1st 10-30 seconds until the IAT goes back to ambient but Tony has said a loss of 5-10+ hp during those seconds is not unusal. Not a big deal but that's where you want more of your hp/torque. And the idea of paying for an intake for low end powerloss FTL.

Hopefully, something like the Stillen that seals better (guessing) would give you no loss on the low and gains up on the mid/high range. Whether or not it's better/worse/same as the revup airbox is debatable.
this

Quick Reply: 06 airbox pix