Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

SportZ Magazine Exhaust Dyno Shootout

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 07:40 PM
StrictlyZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking SportZ Magazine Exhaust Dyno Shootout

Hiya all,

Ok I'm excited to announce that Sport Z Magazine will be doing a cat back exhaust dyno shootout for the 350Z. Below is the following exhaust schedule to be tested...

BORLA
NISMO
INJEN
5Zigen
Stillen(pending)
RSR(pending)
INVIDIA(pending)

SportZ will include on its websites a few sneak peaks at the exhaust but what will be posted for sure is sound clips of all the exhausts and maybe a few teaser results on www.sportzmagazine.com.

Full results including graphs,weight,size, decibel levels etc.. will be coming out in the upcoming issue. So if your not subscribed to Sport Z magazine check it out!

The dyno shootout will be open to the public and we do apoligize for the short notice but if you can make it out please do. We do kindly ask that nobody post results until it is posted on Sport Z, as we are opening to the public to witness the dynos.

Stage Motorsports will be doing the installs and the dynos will be done right next door at Dyno Spot Racing

If you would like to come we will be doing the dynos from 10am till finish at 7/26 (Saterday).

Address:

Stage Motorsports
1601 Almaden Road Unit A
San Jose,CA 95125

Hope to zya there!
Yuichi Kurosawa
Old 07-22-2003, 08:14 PM
Spencer@AAM

Sounds awesome! No B&B system in the test?
Old 07-22-2003, 08:35 PM
Bru

GREAT IDEA....

we have all seen dynos from various sources over the past year with "recently" installed mods...especially exhausts. It seems that almost everything see we've seen makes more power.

However..... what we have not seen is the long term dynos from any of these exhausts.... All we have are claims that our ecu "learns" the mod and adjusts for it back to stock.

So if this "exhaust-off" is about slapping on parts and then throwing them on dynos what are we really learning?

WHat information do we really glean from this?

what we need is a long term test of these vehicles after 3-6 mos of use...then dyno em.

Since I do not know the parameters of this "test" I can only hope its a longer term evaluation.

I believe this will separate the men from the boys

just my take though.

Please feel free to flame me as Im sure someone will
Old 07-22-2003, 10:06 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i vote for Invidia.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:13 PM
failsafe
....for your health

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Bru
GREAT IDEA....

we have all seen dynos from various sources over the past year with "recently" installed mods...especially exhausts. It seems that almost everything see we've seen makes more power.

However..... what we have not seen is the long term dynos from any of these exhausts.... All we have are claims that our ecu "learns" the mod and adjusts for it back to stock.

So if this "exhaust-off" is about slapping on parts and then throwing them on dynos what are we really learning?

what we need is a long term test of these vehicles after 3-6 mos of use...then dyno em.

Since I do not know the parameters of this "test" I can only hope its a longer term evaluation.

just my take though.

Get the TS ECU flash then you won't have to worry about the stock ECU compensating (if it even does). I think Stirctly Z can help you get your hands on the TS ECU
Old 07-22-2003, 10:16 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Bru
GREAT IDEA....

just my take though.

BRU....you suck!!!!

Jusk kidding. I actually think your idea is very good, but I wonder how to perform a test like that without being thrown off by all the potential variables (change in weather, engine wear, different gas, blah, blah blah).

Oh, I hope I'll be able to stop by.

Have fun with the testing!

-D'oh!
Old 07-22-2003, 10:26 PM
StrictlyZ

Talking Answers;)

We decided to go with the cat backs as there are a lot of exhaust systems that are from the Y back. GHL, B&B and a few others that slip my mind at the moment, but more people seem to be interested in the cat back as we have gotten quite a few requests. Actually check out www.nissanperformancemag.com they already did a dyno test on the B&B.

Bru, I understand your concern, and if I had the funding to do a long term test I would be more then happy to do it. Problem is when you have 5 or 6 exhausts at least. It will take us a full day just to test those.

I think this test will at least tell us which exhausts at least are at the top of the game and which one is not. So for example if Exhaust A makes 10 hp and exhaust B makes 5. I wouldn't imagine if the ECU were to dial it back that Exhaust A would be more worthwhile getting right?

Mainly we are trying to help people decide on a exhaust based on price, sound, and power.

If someone would like to fund the dyno time and I'll be more then happy to try and do some follow ups.

Don't wait for us, take it on yourself. There shouldn't be anything holding you back, and I'm sure like you suggested people would appreciate you sharing your results on a long test as I would. If there is any way we can assist you let me know

Other then that I'll shut up now. I'm excited to see the results
Old 07-23-2003, 05:17 AM
99AllTurbo

Thanks to those that came up with this idea, looking fwd to seeing the results.

BTW, I know Cheston had the long thread about the ECU, but I don't remember ever reading that there was proof of the ECu compensating after a cat-back only was installed. It seems to me that more people with aftermarket intakes have this problem (I could be wrong).

My Z feels as fast as it did when I installed my Injen exhaust (it's been over 1000 miles now). Still reaches redline much quicker that it did stk, and pulls harder than it did stk. So I'm not convinced that the ECU is pulling timing or whatever after installing a cat-back.
Maybe it's the gas that people are using. I use 93oct here in Fla.

Anyways, good luck with the exhaust shootout.

To make it clear, I have to subscribe to SportZmagazine to see the results?? If so, I'd rather have a reliable source post the results here.

Last edited by 99AllTurbo; 07-23-2003 at 05:25 AM.
Old 07-23-2003, 05:30 AM
StrictlyZ

Talking Results...

Definetly on the www.sportzmagazine.com website there will be audio clips of all the exhuasts as we can't put that in a magazine.
I'm not sure how much we will reveal on the magazine. We might release all the numbers on the website.

Depending how much room the next issues of Summer and Fall issues have. For those of you who are subscribed, will notice how good the content is in the magazine. SportZ is really getting so many articles that they fill up each issue. So the complete article write up could be on the website if the summer and fall issue.

So we'll wait and see

Zya!
Yuichi
Old 07-23-2003, 10:15 AM
StrictlyZ

Unhappy Oppps

Guys I did make one error. The 5ZIGEN and INVIDIA exhausts are from the Y pipe back and not cat back..

Just thought I would make people aware of that
Old 07-23-2003, 10:17 AM
david borla

Yuichi,

Did you receive the exhaust yet?

Will you be including other elements like warranty in your exhaust comparison or just HP and torque?
Old 07-23-2003, 11:59 AM
StrictlyZ

Talking Yes we did David

David,

We received the exhaust on tuesday, thank you. I had not considered adding Warrenties on the list, but I will do that now, Thanks for the suggestion!

Here is the standard list of things we will include in the article. Which is pretty standard if anyone wants to know any other facts in the article please let me know. Audio clips will be on the Sport Z Magazine website

--------
Company(Source)

MSRP

Sound Decibel @ Idle

Sound Decibel @3000 or 4000 rpm (still to be determined)

Peak Horsepower

Peak Torque

Largest Torque Gain over stock

Largest HP Gain over stock

Piping Diameter

Tip Diameter

Warranties.

Exhaust System Construction: example (Polished stainless steel canister,with coated mild steel piping)

Last edited by StrictlyZ; 07-23-2003 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-23-2003, 01:30 PM
shaneotool

Thanks for doing this, I can't wait!

Maybe you could add weight to your measurements as well, otherwise it looks great. Maybe Db@redline too.

Very cool shootout
Old 07-24-2003, 08:58 AM
StrictlyZ

Talking Update

Ok just wanted to let people know we will have a STILLEN exhaust. I believe the RSR one is not coming through unfortunately.

And Invidia is possible.

Some people have asked me about this as well so I thought I would let everyone know

Zya!
Old 07-24-2003, 09:08 AM
madisonmc

Excellent idea. Not only will this give us a feel for the highest hp improvement, but is will also allow for a "best-bang-for-the-buck" category. For example, hp improvement divided by cost.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:31 AM
time4aspliff

I'm looking forward to the shoot-out!

I was wondering if Borla or anyone else will ever offer a true dual 3" catback for turbo applications. Has anyone heard anything?

Thanks...
Old 07-25-2003, 07:32 PM
StrictlyZ

Talking

I tried contacting Greddy but their exhaust is not done in time. I figured they would be the first to manufacture a exhaust for the turbo, but i don't think their system is turbo specific. Just like all their other systems I guess

We will also be testing the STILLEN AIR FLOW box for the G35, Curious to see how that does. Basically they made their own air box and allowed room for a Cone Filter with a Venturi. Close in design to the JWT pop charger. Its just now in its own box, I like this design lets see how it does!

ZYa!
Old 07-26-2003, 09:50 AM
VQ35DES

Wish you guys tested some of the japanese ones like fajitsubo, power enterprise, amuse, etc...
Old 07-26-2003, 10:18 AM
shaneotool

What are you guys going to do with the exhausts after the shootout?

Sell them at a highly discounted price? I hope
Old 07-26-2003, 11:25 AM
TCL

Will the ECU re-set procedure be used after each exhaust is installed? On a related note, my NISMO exhaust felt a little stronger after it had a little over 100 miles put on it. Not sure if this was a function of the ECU adapting to the new exhaust, the muffler core burning in, or just my imagination. The exhaust also sounded a little different after about the same mileage.

I think the shootout is a great idea by the way. Looking forward to the results.

Quick Reply: SportZ Magazine Exhaust Dyno Shootout