Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

MREV2 & 5/16" MD Spacer Installed

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 07:01 PM
Swiffer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sry110
^ ^ Did you have a chance to install yet?
Funny you ask. No, not yet. I'm dying over here. I placed both orders on 8/1. I ordered the MREV2 directly through Motordyne and received it on 8/8. I ordered the 5/16 spacer through another vendor (who had it cheaper than other sites) on the same day and have yet to receive it At first, they didnt have it in stock (wish they would have told me this when I ordered), then earlier this week when I checked on the status, they told me that they received the wrong part from MD, so now they are waiting for the one I wanted (copper iso spacer). Ugh. Suffice to say, I'll never be doing business with that particular vendor ever again. As of today, it still hasnt shipped out yet. I'm tempted to cancel the order and go through someone else.

I'm waiting for it to come in so I dont have to tear everything down twice. THIS SUCKS! But the MREV2 looks very good. Great packing job by Tony and his team. Cant wait to see how this performs.

Regarding the fittings on the TB heater plate, Tony explained to me that Nissan is somewhat inconsistent with ther hose sizes (I guess from year to year), and some of the years got 5/16" ID hoses while other years got 3/8" ID (I think those were the numbers, could be wrong). So the fittings on the TB heater were designed to accommodate the bigger diameter hoses, but it seems like I have the smaller hoses and it didn't seem to me like they were going to fit. My suggestion is to test-fit the hoses to the TB heater fittings before you go through the process of sandwiching the TB heater between the plenum and TB. That little hiccup probably added the better part of an extra hour onto the install process for me.
Good to know. I'll make sure to check on that WHENEVER the parts get in

EDIT: the spacer is now on the way!

Last edited by Swiffer; 08-15-2008 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:25 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by camaro194
...when I checked on the status, they told me that they received the wrong part from MD, so now they are waiting for the one I wanted (copper iso spacer). Ugh. Suffice to say, I'll never be doing business with that particular vendor ever again. ....

Hmmm. Sorry to hear about that. (But then again, this is good to know.)

I'll fix it for you. Let me know who the vendor is and what you would like to do.

Thank you!
Tony
Old 08-14-2008, 07:40 PM
Swiffer

Thanks Tony! (sent you a PM)

I think I've yet to find an instance where you havent helped someone out
Old 08-15-2008, 06:02 AM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP: In addition to the spacer and lower collector, I also have the copper TB heater with shut-off valve. Fits perfectly...
Old 08-15-2008, 06:05 AM
sry110

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Interesting Camaro, the same thing happened to me but it was the other way around! I ordered the spacer kit directly from MD, but ordered the MREV2 from another vendor who was selling it cheaper. I called up to place the order, they said they had it in stock and it would ship out later that day. The next day I hadn't received the shipping so I called them up, and they say "oh that part is on backorder, we won't have it in for another couple of days". So I gave them the benefit of the doubt and waited a couple days. In the meantime the spacer arrives, and the MREV2 is still on backorder. So ultimately I cancelled my order with that vendor (and they didn't even ask why I was cancelling my order, or try to get me to stick with them, which tells me they didn't really give a crap to begin with), and I gave it to another vendor and paid expedite shipping so I could install it the following weekend.

In my opinion, the extra $50 I paid was worth it because it afforded me one more week of enjoyment out of the MREV2 : )
Old 08-15-2008, 09:15 AM
Swiffer

^ yea. I was very tempted to just install the MREV2 now and do the spacer whenever it arrives, but I'd rather not go through the same process twice. Plus, I'll be borrowing an inch/lb torque wrench from pep boys, and I dont want to have to deal with that two times also.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:22 AM
LAKERSFAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn you Tony. After i installed the mrev2 and spacer, im going through gas like water cause i just cant stop myself from pusing the car and enjoying all my new torque!!!!!

Definitely the best mod to date!

Bump for a great vendor. Unfortunately when i came by, you werent there but your wife(I assume) was very helpful. Thanks to her and you and the great customer service!
Old 08-18-2008, 05:14 AM
ErkTheJerk73

Received 718 Likes on 427 Posts

I installed my spacer this weekend, drove around for a good 20 mins just to get the feel for things after it was installed, got off the interstate and was sitting at a light then my Idle went to hell, very rough and releasing the clutch to go into gear is funny feeling with the accelerator, I think i might have a vac leak any other suggestions?
Old 08-18-2008, 05:23 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

That or you may need to adjust your strut bar for more clearance over the plenum. Either is an easy fix. Just refer to the last few pages of the installation manual. It adresses both.

If you cant find the problem give me a call and I'll help.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:38 AM
driftmaster101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you have a non rev up engine and you you get the mrev2 does that make a it a rev up engine then or no? or is it just the type of intake manifold and i got it all wrong? just wondering?
Old 08-18-2008, 11:28 AM
Swiffer

Originally Posted by driftmaster101
if you have a non rev up engine and you you get the mrev2 does that make a it a rev up engine then or no? or is it just the type of intake manifold and i got it all wrong? just wondering?
No, that will not make it a revup engine. You got it all wrong
Old 08-18-2008, 07:16 PM
driftmaster101

yeah thats what i thought but i wasnt sure thanks
Old 08-23-2008, 01:29 PM
Swiffer

Well, finally got around to installing it last night. Me =

I LOVE the midrange now. Much more pull than before. And the slightly deeper growl is an added bonus. The complete install (MREV2 + 5/16 copper iso spacer) took just over 2 hours. This includes the extra time it took to jack up the car to get to a bolt that eluded my grasp. HINT: if anyone drops a bolt towards the rear of the engine bay, check the smaller plastic tray under the car (just behind the main one).

The install went fairly well...I only ended up with one cut (damn hose clamps!)! The rear hoses that were connected to the upper plenum were a ***** to remove. I found that if you use a flat head screwdriver (give it a slight twist once in the crease between the end of the hose and the pipe), it makes it easier to get the initial separation and it pulls off a little better. Also, no problems getting the hoses connected to the new copper plate. I found it easier to connect the hoses to the plate before bolting it to the plenum and throttle body.

No signs of anything leaking or rubbing on the strut bar. I did notice on my first drive after installing, that there was a loud hissing sound from 2-3k rpms. (note: only other engine mod is a popcharger). I wasnt sure if it was intake related or a leak of some sort. This drive lasted about 10 mins or so. The next time I drove the car, it was no longer there

I didnt reset anything. Just disconnected the battery during the install. I used the nut driver / leather glove method since Pepboys didnt carry an inch/lb torque wrench. Everything seems bolted down fairly well.

If anyone is on the fence about this mod, get your *** down and do it! BIG THUMBS UP TO TONY AND MOTORDYNE

Last edited by Swiffer; 08-23-2008 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:35 PM
Swiffer

Quick question. I noticed sry110 reused the stock plenum gasket. I thought the instructions said to discard it (which I did). Is this needed?

MREV2 installed w/ OEM plenum gasket
Old 08-23-2008, 01:45 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Its optional.

Technically, its not good to stack gaskets. But in practice its never been a problem if installed correctly.

Either way is OK as long as you don't end up with a leak. If you did have a leak, then just take out the extra gasket.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:46 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

And thanks Camaro!!!
Old 08-26-2008, 01:00 PM
sry110

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Hmm I'll have to revisit the instructions. I remember reading in there that it was OK to leave the OEM gasket in place, because I remember thinking how it went against my instinct which was to avoid stacking gaskets (because each one you stack is one more potential leak path). But anyway I left the OEM gasket in there and I haven't noticed any leaks. Of course, I also haven't been under the hood since I installed this stuff, but when I was listening right after installation I didn't notice any unsettling hissing sounds, and if anything I figure the seal has improved now that it has been heat cycled on a daily basis for a month. And the thing still makes monster torque so I figure if it ain't broke, don't fix it : )
Old 08-26-2008, 02:52 PM
Darkness75

me 2 ,i left it and there is no issues ,
but only one thing ,i feel strange vibration in the gas paddle ,and strusbar checked there is enough space i don`t know where else i have to look ??
Old 08-26-2008, 04:05 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

If you have a vibration, its the strut bar. Crank up the strut bar about another 1/16" - 1/8" (2mm-3mm) and that should do it.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:22 PM
Swiffer

I noticed a slight vibration (not in the pedal, but it seems to be from the engine) when the car is idling. It hovers right around 750, but every so often it'll give a little shake. Strut bar clearance is the same as before I did the install. TB calibration?

Also, the hissing sound still comes on from 2000-3000 rpms (only when on the gas too). My guess is that its just accentuating the Popcharger sounds. Sounds cool!

Quick Reply: MREV2 & 5/16" MD Spacer Installed