Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

MREV2 & 5/16" MD Spacer Installed

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 06:22 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by camaro194
Yea, once I saw part of the gasket sticking out from the rear of the throttle body, I knew something wasnt right. Now, I'm very thankful that you throw one in with your kits! Glad I kept that extra piece around.
Oh yeah. New crush gaskets are a must.

Crush gaskets are by design, a one time use item. Engineering wise, crush gaskets are not a corner that can be responsibly cut.

So new replacements are included with every kit.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:37 PM
*ICE*

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have to install the supplied valve turn on and off thing? I heard it's purpose is to turn on and off the coolant flow to the manifold or something close to that. I installed my 5/16" spacer last month and DID NOT bother to install the valve. Is that good or bad?

I live in East Coast and the weather isn't that hot year round, in fact its getting cold here.. Would that effect the function of the 5/16" spacers at all?
Old 10-07-2008, 07:04 PM
sry110

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by *ICE*
do you have to install the supplied valve turn on and off thing? I heard it's purpose is to turn on and off the coolant flow to the manifold or something close to that. I installed my 5/16" spacer last month and DID NOT bother to install the valve. Is that good or bad?

I live in East Coast and the weather isn't that hot year round, in fact its getting cold here.. Would that effect the function of the 5/16" spacers at all?
You will be fine without it. The function of that valve is to prevent the engine coolant from going to the throttle body, which allows the throttle body to stay cooler, which keeps your intake charge temperature lower. If you live in a cold climate you need to make sure the valve is open so that the throttle body gets heated, to prevent ice from forming.

If you didn't install the valve then your throttle body is being heated all the time, which sacrifices the advertised 1-2 HP, but you never have to worry about ice forming.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:13 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by *ICE*

Its neither "good or bad" but it is better if you do install it.

The Coolant Control Valve (CCV) allows you to shut off the hot coolant flow to the plenum.

The coolant going to the plenum isn't cool. Its actually very hot.

Flowing out of the engine at about 210'F it is routed to your plenum to transfer heat into it. This is to prevent freezing when driving in cold weather. But most of the time we arent driving around in cold weather so most of the time you can leave it in the off position so your plenum can run a lot cooler.

When it does get really cold outside, just turn the valve to the "ON" position and your plenum will be heated just like stock.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:21 PM
Steve-O Z33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The coolant valve makes a notable difference around 50 degrees as well. I know it's supposed to be open below 55 but with cooler air, it seems to help. I would suggest following the directions and leave it open when it goes much below 55.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:02 PM
sry110

Just noticed the other day when I popped the hood that it looks like some glue or something is oozing out from the gasket on my 5/16" MD spacer. I've had the spacer installed for a year now. Anyone else noticing this?

Old 07-15-2009, 06:23 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

That's not a problem. Its just the adhesive. The adhesive is made from a viscous synthetic oil. Its the same synthetic oil used as a viscosity modifier in synthetic motor oil formulations.

If you like you can clean it with just about any hydrocarbon based solvent.

It won't leak or do anything.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:28 PM
kensin0429

the merv2 and 5/16 spacer combo will work for 04's ?
Old 09-23-2009, 07:09 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Yes.

There are dynos of it posted in many threads. Wired24/7 did extensive independent testing on it.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:22 AM
dougstamp

Installed the MREV2 and 5/16" spacer this past Saturday.

Install was a breeze. It only took me 2 hours and I was taking my time with quite a few breaks as to not kill my back.

HP gains are definitely there!! It's funny, Saturday I noticed a small increase in power but was kind of disappointed... However, when I drove it Sunday I felt like a kid in a candy store!!! The power increase was definitely more evident.

Thanks Tony and Motordyne!!!!!
Old 09-28-2009, 07:55 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Right on Dougstamp!

Thank you!
Old 10-13-2009, 12:05 PM
sry110

I'll check in on my own thread. 1+ year later I'm still loving the 5/16" spacer and REV2 combo. Just put my popcharger back in (was using OEM airbox over the summer) and I swear it pulls even a bit harder starting in the lower mid-range. I still hold that it's money well spent and it's a good opportunity to get to know your car's intake system when you do the installation yourself.

Hey Tony, any chance of a thermostatically-controlled CCV that would open / close on its own based on throttle body temperature? Fear of being forgetful is the only thing that kept me from installing the CCV when I did mine (i.e. I didn't want to forget to open the valve if it randomly dropped to freezing the night before).

Last edited by sry110; 10-13-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:54 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Copper Iso Thermal is the way to go if you don't want to bother with the CCV.

With the Copper, you can install it and forget it. There is nothing to switch on or off.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:56 AM
tight350z
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this will def. be my next mod(s) .. mrev2 and spacer.. i just recently installed the motordyne shockwave true dual...and love it! i wonder how muc hp ill be at with my mods once i add this? i have a 06 6mt w/ test pipes, MD xyz resonated + the rest of the shockwave tdx, and a nismo cai.. i hope the mrev2/spacer combo will help out a lot..
Old 02-23-2010, 04:23 PM
Vader007

Tony, sorry to dig up an old thread but I am contemplating buying and installing your MREV 2 plenum, I already have the APS tall boy plenum and have seen some nice gains with it.
My thought is that the APS will work as your spacer does and I should still see the gains of the MREV, am I correct?
Also have you corrected the conterfiet issue on these by installing a serial number, I remember someone copying your design a while back and selling them as MREV's.
How do I know I'm getting the genuine product if I purchase from a vendor?

Thanks
Jerry
Old 02-23-2010, 08:03 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Yes, the APS works almost identical to the Basic 1/2" spacer.

As for how it works with the MREV2, it depends on what engine you currently have. On a non-revup engine, the MREV2 works very much like a spacer. On a REVUP engine it makes about 2-3X more average gain with a lot more torque.

As for authenticity, we have many authorized vendors. If you need verification of any vendor or part, please feel free to contact me. I can help validate the real thing for you.

Tony
Old 02-24-2010, 08:48 AM
Vader007

Sorry Tony, car is a 2004.5 DE/ Auto with headers, pully, cats, dual exhaust and CAI.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:07 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

For your engine I generally recommend the spacer by itself, but if you are considering doing it with the MREV2, see this independent dyno test link for more information.

https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exha...5-touring.html
Old 03-13-2010, 08:45 PM
Vader007

Just ordered the MREV2 and ccv to go with my APS tall boy plenum and iso thermal kit!
I will be installing this as soon as the weather breaks here in the North East, then I'm off to get dyno tuned at R/T Tuning with Uprev Osirus standard!!!!
Should be quite a difference, I was debating the Art pipes as well but coudnt justify the price right now. Will post up when everything is complete.
Tony thanks for all your help and advice, although you advised against the MREV2 with my DE motor I decided to try and get every last ounce of power and torque I can.

Jerry
Old 10-14-2011, 01:31 PM
sry110

Thread revival:

When I originally posted this thread after my install, I stated that I decided not to install the throttle body heater plate between the throttle body and plenum, because I did not want to install the coolant control valve (CCV) and forget to open it on a sub-freezing day.

Today I got to thinking that I don't remember whether the kit I bought was the isothermal copper kit, i.e. the one that you can set-and-forget without messing around with the CCV, because it always isolates the plenum from heat while allowing coolant to always flow through the plate.

Here is a picture of the TB plate that came with my kit when I had it test-fitted during my installation. Can anyone tell me whether this is the isothermal kit?

Quick Reply: MREV2 & 5/16" MD Spacer Installed