Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Stillen or Borla exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 07:28 PM
ifew552

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stillen or Borla exhaust?

there is great deal on these two exhausts. I am thinking about getting one of these. I know both of these are quiet and I was wondering which was louder and/or sounds better and/or generates more power. I am a firm believer of you get what you paid for and I am leanning towards stillen exhaust.
Old 07-31-2003, 07:35 PM
DmitryZ

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=38051

borla all the way
Old 07-31-2003, 07:59 PM
SungNamZ

Talking Go Borla!

Stock exhaust "OFF"....Borla "ON". This happened in conjunction with my 15,000 mile check. Actually thought the stock exhaust was starting to sound good. Wrong...! Can't believe the sound from Borla. Listen to the posted audio comparing Borla to Ferrari. Then install Borla. Next week it is Grounding Kit and Injen Intake.

What should I do next?
Old 07-31-2003, 09:35 PM
ZON

Default Re: Go Borla!

Originally posted by Ron Keller

What should I do next?
Crawford's Intake Plenum Mod. That's my plan anyway.
Old 07-31-2003, 10:19 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've read many negative threads regarding Stillen, and have yet to hear anything bad about Borla.

While I personally have not had experience with either company, I would definitely give Borla the first chance since they seem to do a good job with keeping people happy.

-D'oh!
Old 07-31-2003, 10:20 PM
maserom

Borla is the way too go. Great sound, true dual exhaust, wonderful performance 11.5 hp gain!!
Old 08-01-2003, 06:10 AM
lowrider

To Many negative posts about Stillen. If it were me I'd stay from them just for that, no matter how good a product they sold.

Lou
Old 08-01-2003, 08:48 AM
lotus

I have bought alot of product from Stillen and have never had a problem. There Exhaust is great. The longer I have had it the more I like it. I have never talked to anyone that ownes one that does not like it, or has had problems with it.

I also know Borla makes a quality product. I have seen and heard there exhaust and it is a little more subtle in sound compared to the Stillen. As far as performance the Borla is lighter but from all the dynos I have seen the Stillen seems to put out more TQ. Both are great I dont think you could go wrong with either one.
Old 08-02-2003, 11:54 PM
TOM Z CENTRAL

I am w/Lotus.I have the Stillen X-haust.The sound is great.It does NOT drown at any speed or RPM.This was important to me as mine is a 5AT & if the exhaust is going to drown it will on the auto more than the 6-speed.The quality is great,fit & finish are perfect.Look at the Stillen from the back.The polished mufflers & tips look cool,very clean.Also,I think there are only 2 U-clamps on the entire Stillen X. If there is a possibility for a leak in any exhaust system, the clamps should be checked first.I have not heard a Borla on a Z.For the $ you pay for it,it seems like a good deal.If I went w/a Borla,I would have the pipes welded where the clamps meet.Regards,Tom
Old 08-03-2003, 07:16 AM
Buub

I don't think the issue is with the quality of the Stillen parts; it's with the quality of the Stillen service and people. Go read some of the mentioned posts.

It sounds to me like all Stillen is interested in is making money and working with big-dollar companies.
Old 08-03-2003, 08:57 AM
Zmeflyby

borla or stillen..?
injen baby.
Old 08-03-2003, 09:36 AM
patdsaunders

I went with the Borla for price and reputation. It took about 1 hour to install. I have done alot of exhausts and this was far and away the easiest. Fit was perfect. The sound is still coming in, but very low and deep. I don't think any af these exhausts give significant power over the very good stock system, but weight is lower with the Borla.
Old 08-03-2003, 10:14 AM
Zspot

I have the Stillen, and I have no regrets. I can't vouch for the Borla, but I've heard good things about it as well. I can't see you going wrong with either choice.
Old 08-03-2003, 12:54 PM
whosdady

Default Stillen

Given those two choices I would reccomend Stillen. The Stillen exhaust is what I chose and I did so for these reasons. (not in order)

1. Quality
2. Fit / appearance
3. Sound
4. Power gains

The only negative aspect is weight. It weighs more than borla but on a 3200 lb car I don't think you will notice 12-15 more lbs. Plus this extra weight is in the back where we Z owners need it most. As far as service, I purchased it through a vendor and never delt with Stillen so I didn't have a problem. It also came highly reccomended as this vendor sold borla, injen and a couple others.

My major problems with borla include.

1. Sound (too loud)
2. Too many clamps, rusting, leaks, rattles etc.
3. I read of two different people that lost power with the borla exhaust.

If I had to pick again I probably wouldn't buy either. I would get the nismo or amuse exhaust.
Old 08-03-2003, 04:13 PM
2003z

heard them both side by side today, imho, neither sounds as good and deep as my flowmaster muffler, but unfortunately, it doesn't do anything for performance. (everyone at the group meet loved my exhaust note though!)

As for Stillen vs, Borla, the Stillen definitely has a deeper growl to it, and I think it sounds much better. I think the performance on the 2 are about equal, but the borla is lighter in both weight and in the wallet, by about $300.

I still may get stillen when I go for new exhaust, undecided too.
Old 08-03-2003, 04:33 PM
cincyspider

Based on the negative feedback regarding customer service at Stillen....or better defined as LACK of customer service, I'd be real hesitant to pay 2x what others want for exhaust systems!!

I won't shop Stillen till they change their ways.