Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Botched Blox Spacer install, Kinetix Plenum Saves the day!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 08:08 PM
shanejordan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Botched Blox Spacer install, Kinetix Plenum Saves the day!

Last night i purchased a used Blox 5/8 spacer. When i was installing the spacer I made the mistake of torquing one of the hex screws too much and I cracked the oem plenum. That really sucked. I spent the morning trying to figure out what to do, and finally decided on trying to find a Kinetix V+ plenum which would replace the broken OEM one, and would scrap the cheap *** blox plenum spacer. Lucky for me I was able to find one brand new on craigslist, slap it on, and bring my Z back from the dead. I have to say that I am super impressed with the Kinetix V+, I also have an injen CAI, and Invidia G200 catback, and the combination sounds really bad ***. This was the missing piece of the puzzle. I can feel a lot more power and it revs quicker. Also despite some things ive read the Kinetix is really well made, and feels like a really good quality item. Im even going to go so far as to say that it feels stronger than the aluminum plenum that i cracked. In the end, even though it was a pain in the *** cracking the plenum was a blessing in disguise as it forced me into doing the right thing and going with the Kinetix and not the cheap blox. And to all you kids out there dont over torque your screws!!!
Old 02-03-2009, 11:53 PM
nismo_nate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

got pictures? i've been thinking of getting one but was scared from all the stories i've heard of them breaking. if you don't mind... how much did yours run you
Old 02-04-2009, 12:44 AM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by shanejordan
Last night i purchased a used Blox 5/8 spacer. When i was installing the spacer I made the mistake of torquing one of the hex screws too much and I cracked the oem plenum. That really sucked. I spent the morning trying to figure out what to do, and finally decided on trying to find a Kinetix V+ plenum which would replace the broken OEM one, and would scrap the cheap *** blox plenum spacer. Lucky for me I was able to find one brand new on craigslist, slap it on, and bring my Z back from the dead. I have to say that I am super impressed with the Kinetix V+, I also have an injen CAI, and Invidia G200 catback, and the combination sounds really bad ***. This was the missing piece of the puzzle. I can feel a lot more power and it revs quicker. Also despite some things ive read the Kinetix is really well made, and feels like a really good quality item. Im even going to go so far as to say that it feels stronger than the aluminum plenum that i cracked. In the end, even though it was a pain in the *** cracking the plenum was a blessing in disguise as it forced me into doing the right thing and going with the Kinetix and not the cheap blox. And to all you kids out there dont over torque your screws!!!

what in the world are you talking about? Human error (you cracking your oem plenum) has nothing to do with blox being a cheap spacer. Little do you know, both will roughly give the same gains.

if anything, the oem plenum is cheap, its the only thing in the puzzle that cracked.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:20 AM
shanejordan

what in the world im talking about is that the blox spacer is a really cheap piece of plastic, not even very cleanly cut. The kinetix is very well made and has a quality feel to it. And NO the blox had nothing to do with ME breaking the plenum, I dont see anywhere where i stated that. And little do you know, if you look at the oem plenum and the kinetix side by side, the oem has 6 aluminum columns sticking out of it that disrupt the airflow, while the kinetix is smooth and uninterrupted, also the kinetix runs way way cooler.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:21 AM
shanejordan

Oh, and I paid 230 for the kinetix, ill post pix later
Old 02-04-2009, 03:36 PM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what in the world im talking about is that the blox spacer is a really cheap piece of plastic, not even very cleanly cut. The kinetix is very well made and has a quality feel to it. And NO the blox had nothing to do with ME breaking the plenum, I dont see anywhere where i stated that. And little do you know, if you look at the oem plenum and the kinetix side by side, the oem has 6 aluminum columns sticking out of it that disrupt the airflow, while the kinetix is smooth and uninterrupted, also the kinetix runs way way cooler.
it runs way cooler just as if you added any spacer to the oem plenum. if you wouldn't have broken your oem one, the blox would of made it cooler as well. that's how it works.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:51 PM
SergEK

Oh, and I paid 230 for the kinetix, ill post pix later
Did you get a baseline done before your mods?

From everyones dynos I thought the K mani was garbage?

You should see what your A/Fs look like now at Churchs...your only like 20-30minutes away from him
Old 02-07-2009, 05:20 AM
Ziggyrama

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blox is just that, a spacer. I have one and it went in without any issues. The problem with the blox spacer is that it is too tall. 5/8 spacer does not work as well as 5/16, believe it or not. It has to do with how the intake resonates and going too big actually can hurt you. I semi-confirmed it myself with my butt dyno which registered no difference with it. I'll just machine it down to 5/16 and that should work a lot better.