Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Y-Pipe - Aftermarket or stock with shockwave?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 12:00 PM
Miketsi
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Y-Pipe - Aftermarket or stock with shockwave?

Ok, sort of a specialized situation. I just purchased the motordyne shockwave exhaust (used). I have an ebay y-pipe on now, which is horrible, and when I install the shockwave, I'll be putting the stock one back on, OR ordering a new one (can't find a used one) from motordyne. I also have AAM test pipes, and the motordyne spacer. Is it worth the extra almost $500 more for the y-pipe? Is that going to be a big restriction?

I have a very basic setup, and want to get the most out of it. I'm sure I'll eventually go F/I, but right now, I'd just like the car to be a little quicker. If I were to spend $500, would it make sense to do the y-pipe, or ECU flash from AAM?

Thanks for all the help!
Old 05-13-2009, 12:08 PM
Germanguy

im going to buy the instense motorsports y-pipe. its 170 shipped. it has 2,5 inlets and 3" outlet, which wouldnt bad for FI (most power you get out of true dual). Just heard one time something bad about the intense y-pipe and they have a great costumer service if it will not fit or something.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:19 PM
Miketsi
Banned

Originally Posted by Germanguy
im going to buy the instense motorsports y-pipe. its 170 shipped. it has 2,5 inlets and 3" outlet, which wouldnt bad for FI (most power you get out of true dual). Just heard one time something bad about the intense y-pipe and they have a great costumer service if it will not fit or something.
Really??!

This is EXACTLY the kind of response I was looking for.

My issue, it's a Y-PIPE, I just have a hard time spending almost $500 on a 2' piece of metal, on an N/A car.

I'll be calling those guys tomorrow.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:20 PM
huyrua

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's wrong with the ebay y-pipe? Save the money for a flash.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:22 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i thought the whole point of the motordyne setup was the superior design of the their ypipe.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:38 PM
Miketsi
Banned

Originally Posted by huyrua
What's wrong with the ebay y-pipe? Save the money for a flash.
Basically, the ebay was sold to me, and the guy said it was an old Nismo. It was $25, so I really didn't look into it. Put it on, had two cracks, and made an annoying *** noise. I took it to an exhaust shop that my buddy works at, they fixed the cracks, and it still rattles. The metal is so cheap/thin.

Edit; Well nevermind. I just called motordyne, and they helped me out a little bit, so I just bought a new one. It's still what I consider to be ALOT of money to a y-pipe, but whatever. I'm the type of person who just enjoys the feeling of someone trying to hook me up.

Thanks alot motordyne! You got a sale, and a customer for life!

Now my question... With the AAM 2.5" non-resonated test pipes, the straight-piped y-pipe, and the shockwave, is my car going to be INSANE loud?
Old 05-13-2009, 12:45 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Miketsi
:

Now my question... With the AAM 2.5" non-resonated test pipes, the straight-piped y-pipe, and the shockwave, is my car going to be INSANE loud?
ahhh yeah.. rofl.... its gonna hella loud!
Old 05-13-2009, 12:50 PM
Miketsi
Banned

Originally Posted by Nexx
ahhh yeah.. rofl.... its gonna hella loud!
Hahaha... Yay. I have a beater for the reason. Does anyone have experience with the shockwave in person? What kind of loud is it? I had a Cobra with basically as little of sound dampening, and it was just noise, not much resonance. My AAM ti single on the other hand, was pretty "boomy", and that was the main reason I sold it.

Oh well, either way, I have a Grand Cherokee to drive when I don't want the noise.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:50 PM
twin001

yes, it will be VERY loud.

The MD XYZ pipe is a great y-pipe. Tony put a lot of hours researching the optimum merge point for the pipe. This goes for both performance and sound quality. Aftermarket y-pipes are not equal by any means.

Also, why the AAM reflash? Look into Osiris from Uprev.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:01 PM
Miketsi
Banned

Originally Posted by twin001
yes, it will be VERY loud.

The MD XYZ pipe is a great y-pipe. Tony put a lot of hours researching the optimum merge point for the pipe. This goes for both performance and sound quality. Aftermarket y-pipes are not equal by any means.

Also, why the AAM reflash? Look into Osiris from Uprev.
Is that a better place for it? I really don't know, I just know the guys at AAM have been good to me. I'll check out the Uprev option.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:49 PM
67ZNISMO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't waste your time on ebay Y-pipes man, especially if you didn't research it before buying.

Tony's XYZ Y-Pipe is "One of a kind", best in sound and power gains. Its seems like a lot of money at first but the sound and gains you'll get later will make it worthwhile. I'm glad you made the switch, now your Shockwave will show its true potential!

btw....+1 on OSIRIS
Old 05-13-2009, 02:05 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Lol, man that car is gonna be loud.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:55 PM
350z spd

ya tony has an amazing product. your car is going be to loud!!!! your going to have rasp with the non resonated test pipes. I have it on my car with the dual shockwave with the resonator and resonated test pipes and its loud!! but i dont have any rasp . I would check into getting osiris. It is a great product and it works great on f/i and n/a cars. In the future you could just retune it if you eventually go f/i
Old 05-13-2009, 04:07 PM
Slow*Jim

Originally Posted by twin001
Are there any actual dyno charts to prove this? I am seeing a TON of hype about how much engineering went into the Motordyne exhaust products, but are there actually any gains to be had?
Old 05-13-2009, 05:44 PM
Miketsi
Banned

Originally Posted by Slow*Jim
Are there any actual dyno charts to prove this? I am seeing a TON of hype about how much engineering went into the Motordyne exhaust products, but are there actually any gains to be had?
Well, I talked to Tony and the lady that works there, probably like 5 times. They are SUPER thorough, and even called to make sure I wanted the straight pipe. While talking to Tony, he insisted that the resonated y-pipe was the better option. He gave me a great deal on that, and was shipped out today.

What a great shop! Thanks again guys, I'll be sending people your way!

In response to your question, I'll be dynoing my car the way it sits (ebay y-pipe, plenum spacer, intake, test pipes), then again with just the shockwave added, and then with the new y-pipe. I have a shop that does it for like a dollar, and it'll hopefully justify my spending.

Honestly, I went with this setup because of how light it is. Any power gains won't be shunned away though ;-)

Last edited by Miketsi; 05-13-2009 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:54 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Slow*Jim
Here was one done just recently.
https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exha...-bolt-ons.html

There are also several more that have been posted in this forum. And many of them have been linked/posted on the MD website.

Tony
Old 05-13-2009, 06:03 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by Miketsi
Well, I talked to Tony and the lady that works there, probably like 5 times. They are SUPER thorough, and even called to make sure I wanted the straight pipe. While talking to Tony, he insisted that the resonated y-pipe was the better option. He gave me a great deal on that, and was shipped out today.
+1. If you have raw, unresonated, test pipes you are really going to want that XYZ resonator installed.

Thank you!
Old 05-13-2009, 06:22 PM
Miketsi
Banned

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
+1. If you have raw, unresonated, test pipes you are really going to want that XYZ resonator installed.

Thank you!
Just to clarify, I DID get the resonated version, correct? I got an email saying straight pipe. I hope it's the resonated lol.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:28 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Yes. We changed the order to resonated just before it shipped out.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:32 PM
Miketsi
Banned

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Yes. We changed the order to resonated just before it shipped out.
Thanks man!