Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

JWT Popcharger: Questions & Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 10:15 PM
SupaDupaMonkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JWT Popcharger: Questions & Concerns

Hello folks, I need some assistance here and am not all that knowledgeable about cars in general, much less the 350z.

New 350z owner since Jan '09.

2006 Base Model.

I am interested in the JWT Popcharger. I have questions and concerns regarding its installation and mostly its functionality.

Let's start with functionality...

I hear there are stalling issues regarding coasting in Neutral.

This could be a problem for me. I always drop to Neutral and coast/brake as I anticipate Red Lights, regardless of current speed (although I hear problems are common when coasting in higher speeds).

Obviously, as most would, I would hate to stall in the middle of the street, especially in traffic. It's embarrassing, especially for the driver of a flashy car like the Z.

Based on a criteria that I created, from which I couldn't discern during my research, I am curious to hear what you've heard or experienced in regards to this Popcharger issue:

*Reminder: I have a 2006 base model, if that has any bearing on the issue.

*The noob installation guide on this forum suggested we disconnect the negative side of the battery for extra measure to avoid the problem, however I'm still curious...

*From my research, those who installed a plenum (I don't know what it is, btw) in conjunction with the Popcharger usually had stalling issues...

*So, I get the feeling that perhaps these stalling issues are common for those who had additional modifications under their hood. So...

1). Installation Criteria: Popcharger + Plenum w/o Battery Disconnected... Have you had stalling issues since installation?

2). Popcharger + Plenum w/ Battery Disconnected... Have you had stalling issues since installation?

3). Popcharger + Plenum + Other Modifications Under the Hood w/o Battery Disconnected... Have you had stalling issues since installation?

4). Popcharger + Plenum + Other Modifications Under Hood w/ Battery Disconnected... Have you had stalling issues since installation?

5). Popcharger + Other Modifications Under the Hood (Without Plenum) w/o Battery Disconnected... Have you had stalling issues since installation?

6). Popcharger + Other Modifications Under the Hood (Without Plenum) w/ Battery Disconnected... Have you had stalling issues since installation?

In my case, I'll be going Popcharger with no other additional modifications under my Z's hood. So I'm curious to see, based on your responses, if I'll run into stalling issues.

Particularly in my case, I am averted to trying to unplug the battery because a). I'm a puss and don't want to be fried chicken b). am still a puss and am afraid to mess with the ECU (research shows disconnecting the battery resets ECU), because I hear the current settings are good for best management of the car.

6). With that said... would resetting the ECU be a bad thing? With the preset ECU settings, would resetting it affect in a negative way how well it manages the car's fuel usage accurately and such?

Perhaps resetting or not resetting the ECU could somehow lead to the stalling issues as well. I'm not sure. You tell me.

Lastly... an issue with Installation of the Popcharger.

I've read the Noob guide on this forum. I understand it well, seems like something I can do.

However... and possibly most important, I am missing the black air inlet snorkel... You know, the black plastic air duct that needs to be screwed to the Popcharger's heat shield?

7). Heh, is that a bad thing?

Because I would need that heat shield for obvious reasons, especially since I live in Florida. But I would have no black snorkel to attach it to like the instructions say it should.

I'm having trouble trying to find where to buy the stock black air inlet.

8). Any suggestions to find the stock black air inlet and for a good price? (If not, a trip to a Nissan dealership will have to suffice)

In my research, I've read of other types of air ducts. In particular, I noticed the Titek Carbon Fiber Air Inlet Duct. That would be a unique look for a 350z I would imagine. But that would require punching some holes in front of my bumper area and I'm a rookie, so I dunno.

9). Does anybody have any experience with the Titek Air Inlet Duct? And are they compatible with the Popcharger's Heat Shield?

Particularly, I'd be worried of increased suction of incoming bugs or water from rain and carwash with the Titek, which I would imagine could potentially cause some damage.

I suppose the Titek would have its risks much like a Cold Air Intake system has its risks with its particular placing of piping.

Any help, advice, and encouragement would be appreciated.

Robert B.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:46 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome. I think you did a good job summarizing 5 years of pop charger.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:01 AM
3-fifty-WeEe
Banned

I have a cold air intake and the plenum spacer and I do notice the stalling problem, its happened a couple times to me. to fix the problem all you need to do is adjust your idle screw so your idle goes up just a little, about 100-200rpm. Then she wont bounce back down when you throw in your clutch. thats what I did and i have had no problems since.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:45 AM
CancerJCCz

Congratulations on actually doing some reading before just asking that being said...

The stalling issue only happens when the clutch is pushed in at highway speeds. There is no legitimate reason you should be doing this anyhow so don't worry about it. As for coasting up to stop lights/signs and such you should practice downshifting all the way to 1st instead of just pushing the clutch in and using your brakes only to stop. The engine offers FREE braking power and you should be using it as your brakes will thank you with more life.

As for resetting the ECU there is nothing to worry about. You WILL NOT get shocked (fried chicken I believe you said) The current is DC and won't shock you, it may arc a touch when you put the negative back on but don't worry it is nothing that is going to cause you any harm...lol

You want the ECU to be reset so that after the installation your ECU will "learn" the new part is installed and adjust itself accordingly. (There is some debate about how much the ECU will learn the new part but nevertheless it doesn't hurt a thing and should be done when installing anything)

As for attaching the inlet to the heat shield its not going to be a deal breaker. I never screwed mine to it because of lack of the screws at the time. It just nestles against it and I see no issues what so ever. Yes it is supposed to be attached but its not going to matter.

To summarize I have the Motordyne 5/16 plenum spacer, JWT popcharger and have NEVER stalled out in traffic. Then again I never go into neutral on the highway and shift the way your are supposed to at stops. So learn to shift properly and loosen up you are way to uptight!
Old 07-07-2009, 05:47 AM
CancerJCCz

Oh and OP if you NEVER come back into this thread like every other noob who creates one I am officially done responding constructively to these...
Old 07-07-2009, 05:50 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are overthinking and making a huge deal out of this whole thing. The popcharger is a very easy install and by itself, will not stall out your engine.

There is no "black air duct" peice you are missing, its just the heat sheild and pop charger.

Finally, the Plenum is the big silver part that your air intake goes into (big silver part behind the black plastic cover that says Nissan 3.5 on it) Think of this as nothing but a giant empty air box that collects the air from your intake.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:54 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cancerjccz
congratulations on actually doing some reading before just asking that being said...

Old 07-08-2009, 01:16 PM
anyjuan

^+1

This has to be the best non flamed Pop charger thread I've read. I'm always hesitant to read any of the many questions posted about pop chargers cause they always end up in "do some research, NOOB"... lol

Question for cancerjccz:

I love to downshift but I always thought it was stressful for the clutch, transmission etc... I hope I'm wrong! Am I? lol
Old 07-08-2009, 07:13 PM
NightShade

When I installed the pop charger (and only the pop charger) on my '04 Z the engine would cut out if I shifted into neutral at high speed, say above 80mph+. But I had to actually let it sit there for a second for that to happen. Just put it into neutral at that speed and leave it, then it would cut out. It never cut out on me if I was shifting between gears.

I'm kinda confused about this whole shifting down through all the gears thing. After it started cutting out I just left it in the current gear I was in (say fourth or fifth gear) until the car slowed down and the RPM's get down to about 1k to 2k. Then I either put it into neutral and stopped or shifted appropriately if I need to take off again. I've never had a problem doing it that way.

Installation is pretty easy, just make sure to take your time and not rush anything. Rushing any install always causes problems. For example my radio install that I tried in the dark of night a few days ago.

Last edited by NightShade; 07-08-2009 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:21 PM
Toby-22

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the popcharger without the stalling issues. But when i added the 5/16 motordyne plenum spacer i started stalling at higher speeds when i put it in neutral.??? weird, but now i got used to never putting it in neutral unless im at the right speed/rpm LOL
Old 07-09-2009, 09:20 PM
SupaDupaMonkey

Default Thanks!

Hey all,

Thank you kindly for all of your input.

Just trying to conduct a "scientific hypothesis" in order to diagnose the source of the stalling problem associated with the Popcharger, lol.

I need to respond to a couple of the posts...
Old 07-09-2009, 09:27 PM
black06z

I guess I'll be the first to say something negative: I wouldn't even bother with a popcharger for the Z. It's a waste of money. Very minimal power gains, irritating suction "dunk" sound, and $100+ could be used for tint, towards an exhaust system, or even a synthetic oil change. Research should've had one forgetting about this mod.

Last edited by black06z; 07-09-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:16 PM
SupaDupaMonkey

Originally Posted by CancerJCCz
The stalling issue only happens when the clutch is pushed in at highway speeds.
It would seem, based on the responses, that the the stalling issues are universal in this regard, regardless of additional modifications or not....

There is no legitimate reason you should be doing this anyhow so don't worry about it.
True...

Part of it is I just want to know, just for the sake of knowing, therefore if it happens to me... it won't surprise me.

And sure, from what I've read, I read the same answer: Neutral + Highway Speeds = Stall.

However, as for most things I purchase, I usually research to know *why* it is so. For education, for prevention, and simply to justify whether it's a worthwhile purchase (And black06z made a good comment of which I'll get to).

But anyways...

Yes, I do not recall ever dropping to Neutral at Highway Speeds (60+ mph). So that's not a worry for me.

However, it's just a pure habit of mine that I notice where I'll drop to Neutral and coast/brake to red lights at speeds less than 50 mph. Now that's where my concerns are at in regards to stalling, and given my tendencies, it's something I'd hope to avoid if I go the Popcharger route.

Oh and thanks for the good tidbit for saving the brake pads by downshifting all the way to 1st.

However, part of the reason why I don't downshift gear to gear is because I could have sworn I read multiple times that downshifting gear to gear all the way down to the 1st is bad for transmission, clutch, etc.; the same as anyjuan mentioned. Last I checked, it was mentioned in the manual as well. My brother tells me the same thing, and he knows a little more about cars than I do.

But don't know. A myth or urban legend perhaps. lol Anyone have any thoughts there?

Last edited by SupaDupaMonkey; 07-09-2009 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:22 PM
SupaDupaMonkey

Originally Posted by GeauxLadyZ
You are overthinking and making a huge deal out of this whole thing. The popcharger is a very easy install and by itself, will not stall out your engine..
You're probably right.

However, my asking these questions is more habitual and educational on my part. Just gotta know, ya know.

And yes, its seems extremely easy to do. And I'm sure I'll be avoiding any stalling issues by simply altering my driving methods if I must. I prefer not to. It's the stubborn in me. But if it's best for me and my Z, then so be it.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:37 PM
SupaDupaMonkey

As for resetting the ECU there is nothing to worry about. You WILL NOT get shocked (fried chicken I believe you said) The current is DC and won't shock you, it may arc a touch when you put the negative back on but don't worry it is nothing that is going to cause you any harm...lol
Glad to know that I'll live to drive another day.

Yeah, me and anything electric are not a good combo. That battery scares my toes off. Heh, it's funny... I've had to do a jump for a few people... I'd say sure, but I always let them do it.

As for attaching the inlet to the heat shield its not going to be a deal breaker. I never screwed mine to it because of lack of the screws at the time. It just nestles against it and I see no issues what so ever. Yes it is supposed to be attached but its not going to matter.
I figured as much. However, my Z doesn't even have the black inlet to begin with.

But like you said. I could just let it hang wide open, aye?

loosen up you are way to uptight!
Nonsense! lol

Man, I'm smooth like jello and roll like a sumo. lol

Just making sure I keep it that way while driving my lady Z.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:49 PM
freedonutss

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you go to the Jim wolf site there is a fix for the stalling issue I believe.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:05 PM
SupaDupaMonkey

Originally Posted by black06z
I guess I'll be the first to say something negative: I wouldn't even bother with a popcharger for the Z. It's a waste of money. Very minimal power gains, irritating suction "dunk" sound, and $100+ could be used for tint, towards an exhaust system, or even a synthetic oil change. Research should've had one forgetting about this mod.
Thanks for delivering another perspective.

Moneys a little tight right now, but I can handle getting something like the Popcharger (I found for around $130-150). So for efficiency sake, I'm just making sure I spend my money on something worthwhile.

I need a new air filter, one that will allow for better fuel economy.

I also wanted to do the "cool thing" and get a slightly more aggressive tone out of my Z....

You know, not quite Bear or Lion, but more a purring Panther lying in the weeds waiting to strike a gazelle, but definitely something more evil than purring kitten. But if I had a choice between purring kitten and old-dude snore, I'll go with the kitten.

But I ramble..

Anyways, I figured with the Popcharger, it thought it would fit that criteria all in one package.

I could go with a K&N reusable filter to replace my stock one, I've read its whole air flow design does better for fuel economy than the stock filter would.

As for the aggressive tone, I agree that to get better results it would have to be from an aftermarket exhaust system.

However, given my financial restraints, would it be more cost effective to do Filter + Exhaust System + Installation (I'm no car guy, so I can't do it myself) or just the Popcharger? I haven't done much research on Exhaust Systems, but my guess would be I would save with the Popcharger while being semi-satisfied given my current needs and wants.

Last edited by SupaDupaMonkey; 07-09-2009 at 11:11 PM.