Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Berk HFC: is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 03:53 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Berk HFC: is this normal?

I had this installed a while back, and since day one there is sound coming out of it.

sounds like a plastic bag spinning (loud and clear) when revving. and when i step on the gas in the highway, it sounds like a loud air coming outta the exhaust.

is this normal?

i'm gonna try to record it (if i find a good recorder)

Last edited by maXmood; 11-30-2009 at 03:55 AM.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:25 AM
singh

are you aware of the hissing sound? The hissing sound is said to come from the flex joints from the y-pipes..

but you should only hear the hiss when you press the clutch in and your revs fall.. when you accelerate you shouldn't hear any kind of hissing sound.. Don't mistake it for an exhaust leak..
Old 11-30-2009, 06:25 AM
nismomike

Make sure the gaskets and all bolts are tight. Sometimes, after driving it around for awhile, it may come slightly loose from vibrations, but tightening it the second time around should fix it. However, if it sounds like air is coming from your exhaust itself, check for leaks!!! I recommend lifting it up and closely looking it over.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:29 AM
haeshik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^what they said
Old 11-30-2009, 07:22 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Originally Posted by singh
are you aware of the hissing sound? The hissing sound is said to come from the flex joints from the y-pipes..

but you should only hear the hiss when you press the clutch in and your revs fall.. when you accelerate you shouldn't hear any kind of hissing sound.. Don't mistake it for an exhaust leak..
the hissing sound when letting off the gas looks like it's coming from the HFC.. 5AT here btw.

and i do here it when accelerating..
Originally Posted by nismomike
Make sure the gaskets and all bolts are tight. Sometimes, after driving it around for awhile, it may come slightly loose from vibrations, but tightening it the second time around should fix it. However, if it sounds like air is coming from your exhaust itself, check for leaks!!! I recommend lifting it up and closely looking it over.
never thought of that... cuz at the same time of installing the HFC, i've installed Borla, which i thought leak could not be the issue..

i'll have it checked.

thanks
Old 11-30-2009, 01:41 PM
nismomike

welcome keep us posted.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:16 PM
SniperHunter

Originally Posted by maXmood
the hissing sound when letting off the gas looks like it's coming from the HFC.. 5AT here btw.

and i do here it when accelerating..

never thought of that... cuz at the same time of installing the HFC, i've installed Borla, which i thought leak could not be the issue..

i'll have it checked.

thanks
The Borla, while a great exhaust, has a very bad H-pipe design that leaks. Check the clamps around the H-pipe and try to re-configure them so that they cover everything perfectly. Even if it looks like they're covering everything well, you can't just tell by looking.

I've had this problem before and adjusting the clamps fixed it. But your best bet would be to get rid of the nasty H-pipe and use the Magnaflow X-pipe, which adds some good power too. Also, I hope you used new gaskets...because perhaps your old ones are split and torn.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:47 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

how can i check for leaks? i'm taking it to the stealership for service next saturday which doesn't including checking for leaks....

i'm planning on replacing the H-pipe with the Magnaflow's X-pipe, it's just i don't know the model that would fit.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:44 AM
AlvinT

Thumbs up

how can i check for leaks? i'm taking it to the stealership for service next saturday which doesn't including checking for leaks....

i'm planning on replacing the H-pipe with the Magnaflow's X-pipe, it's just i don't know the model that would fit.
This is Alvin from Borla Performance in California. Perhaps we can help. Double check the orientation of the clamp bolt relative to the pipe notches. The bolt should be oriented 90-degrees relative to the notches (see pic). The (2) notches and clamp are engineered as a system and should be torqued max 32-35 ft. lbs.

If the clamp bolt is positioned over one of the notches, the pipe changes shape (ovalized) when the clamp is torqued and won't seal properly. When the clamps are positioned correctly, the pipe closes properly (remains round) and the notches create a seal.

I hope this is helpful. BTW, our H-pipe outperformed an X-pipe on this vehicle. Enjoy your ride!

Old 12-02-2009, 10:46 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Thanks Alvin..

i'll pass that over to the mechanics to see if they were fitted correctly.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:40 AM
AlvinT

Thanks Alvin..

i'll pass that over to the mechanics to see if they were fitted correctly.
Anytime we can help. Please keep us updated. Best of luck!
Old 01-11-2010, 12:39 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

update:....

took the car yesterday to have it checked for exhaust leaks and the clamps (like Alvin suggested)..

clamps are all good and put properly.. the H-pipe was leaking, even tho the clamp was put properly and tight.

they sealed it with some sort of a putty (cement putty look alike)..

drone, noise, leak are a little less, but not way better than before.

i might either replace the H-pipe with an X-pipe, or replace the whole exhaust..

i'll update this thread if any changes happen.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:53 AM
AlvinT

update:....

took the car yesterday to have it checked for exhaust leaks and the clamps (like Alvin suggested)..

clamps are all good and put properly.. the H-pipe was leaking, even tho the clamp was put properly and tight.

they sealed it with some sort of a putty (cement putty look alike)..

drone, noise, leak are a little less, but not way better than before.

i might either replace the H-pipe with an X-pipe, or replace the whole exhaust..

i'll update this thread if any changes happen.
Thanks fo the update. If the clamp is oriented incorrectly, the pipe will ovalize causing the notches to seal incorrectly. This is dufficult to undo for a proper seal as our material is rigid and difficult to bend. I will forward this link to our customer service. Please PM your email address to me. Any pics taken?
Old 01-11-2010, 09:31 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Originally Posted by AlvinT
Thanks fo the update. If the clamp is oriented incorrectly, the pipe will ovalize causing the notches to seal incorrectly. This is dufficult to undo for a proper seal as our material is rigid and difficult to bend. I will forward this link to our customer service. Please PM your email address to me. Any pics taken?
as i have mentioned, the clamps were oriented properly (i have checked them myself), and this garage has dealt with Borla exhausts before and know how the exhaust should be put together.

sorry, but no pics were taken because i didn't see the need to take any.

PM Sent..

thanks