Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

HR headers De Headers ? Interchangable?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 08:19 AM
gabe3d

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by T_K
Listed price for that combo is $1329. I can't speak for any deals that may be offered, but at $1329, it's getting awfully close to a set of long tubes.
Which longtube headers are you talking about? The only ones that you can currently buy are meagan ones and they are only 300 or so. Now if you are talking about SGM or Supersprint then the price is not getting close.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:23 PM
T_K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gabe3d
Which longtube headers are you talking about? The only ones that you can currently buy are meagan ones and they are only 300 or so. Now if you are talking about SGM or Supersprint then the price is not getting close.
What I'm getting at is that at 1300-1400 dollars, it's not quite that much of a stretch to get the next one up.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:27 PM
gabe3d

If you think that around 1k more is not much more of a stretch than yeah.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:30 PM
T_K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not trying to argue at all. Just from my point of view, if you've saved a grand to buy the Tomei over the Megan. It's in the realm of possibility to save another grand to get the SG. If buying on credit, more of the same thing. Instead of paying off the part in X time, you just pay it off in 2X time.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:37 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The problem with that rationale is the fact that no one makes HR longtubes.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:41 PM
Swimminggerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SG will. However Ive considered and been in contact with SG awaiting the Longtubes for the HR's. thats a one shot deal, install it and never really want to uninstall to pass emissions or please 5oh. Now shorties plus TP will allow you to throw on cats for emissions time. ?? plus i dont want to have to wait another 3 years for the longtubes from SG, its been way to long of a wait thus far.... worth it in the end, prob.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:09 PM
gabe3d

Uninstalling or installing the SGM is going to be simpler than any other headers including shorties. Each primaries are independent and are slip fitted to the collector.

I think if you are planning a serious NA build it is very worthwhile to wait. It's a matter of months now before they can be available not years. He's getting very close and it's not like you have started the build yet.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:53 PM
Swimminggerman

so each primary bolts up to the header individually? Arent there welds holding the primaries to a main flange? or even the end of the primaries to the collector? exhaust leak if not? true on the wait, however im thinking of just doing headers and cat/tp and tune and leave it at that for a year. since im now deicing on attaining my masters which will cost me a lot. not much spare change for the Z this coming year.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:05 PM
gabe3d

Each primary bolts up individually. There are no welds holding them onto the merge collector. They are slip fitted and held in by bolts. Exhaust leak will not be an issue after the car is warmed up. Good luck on your studies and build.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:05 AM
allmotorsedan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whoever took those pics should line up the flanges together and take some measurements. Best way would be to take a left-side HR header and a right-side DE header line up the flanges, and note the difference in diameters, bolt hole location, etc...

From the pics, the look very very close in dimensions, I wouldn't think Nissan/Infiniti would change the cylinder head size/dimensions just to accomodate a header...
Old 02-01-2010, 11:26 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 0jiggy0
The problem with that rationale is the fact that no one makes HR longtubes.

at least someones thinking logically
Old 02-01-2010, 10:18 PM
Swimminggerman

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
at least someones thinking logically
However (correct me if wrong or theres a hickup) as stated above in prior posts HR's should be able to use the megan, OBX long tube headers by just swapping two bolts around on each side of the motor. Correct. So does it really matter if there is any long tube header specificially made for the HR considering there will not be a need for alternative flanges due to no TP or Cats, instead Long tubes directly to exhaust. Thought id still prefer the SG over the others.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:02 PM
allmotorsedan

Any new info on the interchangability of the DE manifolds and HR headers?
Old 02-18-2010, 10:37 AM
Swimminggerman

Far as i know and am beleiving they are interchangeble, however the TP or HFCs need to be for the appropriate header either if its a DE header you need DE pipes/HFC and if its HR you need HR pipe/cats. Ill be ordering some tomei expremes soon and installing them in a few months. let you know then.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:46 AM
Dave B

Someone should contact Forged because I specifically remember them saying that the HR manifold bolt pattern and port size matches up against the DE manifold. They compared both side by side.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:20 PM
allmotorsedan

Originally Posted by Swimminggerman
Far as i know and am beleiving they are interchangeble, however the TP or HFCs need to be for the appropriate header either if its a DE header you need DE pipes/HFC and if its HR you need HR pipe/cats. Ill be ordering some tomei expremes soon and installing them in a few months. let you know then.
I know that I will need HR cats if I get the HR headers, the cat length are different between the two.

Are you buying the DE Tomei Expreme headers? I assume you are an HR motor right? Please let me know when you get them in....

DaveB, hopefully I can call Forged this weekend to confirm that. Thanks! I actually follow your posts a lot with the OEM build
Old 02-20-2010, 04:25 PM
Swimminggerman

yeah DE tomei's. they dont make any HR. I think that only stillen offers HR headers currently. very limited. Hope it wont be a bust when i purchase and they for some really odd reason dont work. almost makes me wish i kept my obx lontubes a few years ago and tried it anyways.