Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Advanced Resonance Tuning (ART pipes)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 05:18 AM
screener
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
thats where i beleive u are confused...i had berk high flow cats with my setup and changed to berk test pipes and without tuning i gained 9whp and around 10tq all before tuning and before the motordyne xyz pipe was put on..I am not saying these are not great i just want to see a comparison to test pipes, i am not concerned with changing the sound of my vehicle so that does nothing for me..I am concerned with the power difference from art pipes to test pipes and patiently waiting...
Your gains while supercharged will be similar to N/A, turbocharged is a way different animal with exhaust mods. I am certain the gains over test pipes if any will be in the 2-3 hp, tuned or untuned. This is just exhaust people, not boost. I just wonder if the weight of the ART pipes will come into play vs. test pipes. Then there is the cost difference, but pay to play. I definitely like the sound of the ART pipes over test pipes from what I have heard so far.

Bring on the apples to apples, lets see these ART pipes prove themself worthy already.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:31 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by beddow
Your gains while supercharged will be similar to N/A, turbocharged is a way different animal with exhaust mods. I am certain the gains over test pipes if any will be in the 2-3 hp, tuned or untuned. This is just exhaust people, not boost. I just wonder if the weight of the ART pipes will come into play vs. test pipes. Then there is the cost difference, but pay to play. I definitely like the sound of the ART pipes over test pipes from what I have heard so far.

Bring on the apples to apples, lets see these ART pipes prove themself worthy already.
Test pipe design is a factor in your generalization though. For example, a 2" test pipe that abruptly changes to a 2.25 or 2.5" catback will cause turbulence, and the ART pipes should show superior given their conical design. Maybe not in overall horsepower or tq, but it should show as area under the curve.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:43 AM
screener
Banned

Originally Posted by scotts300
Test pipe design is a factor in your generalization though. For example, a 2" test pipe that abruptly changes to a 2.25 or 2.5" catback will cause turbulence, and the ART pipes should show superior given their conical design. Maybe not in overall horsepower or tq, but it should show as area under the curve.
Yes, if I am understanding you correctly. This is why I purchased the certain set of testpipes and y-pipe (not mentioning names since this thread is about ART pipes). As you said though, I feel the issue is minor and may be the low throttle tip in and mid may suffer slightly.

Now with the chambers on these ART pipes , do they scavenge at low - mid rpm throttle? Or is it simply more pipe volume to move/store more exhaust temporarily?
Old 03-27-2010, 12:09 PM
SniperHunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Woooooo! Ordered my ART Pipes just now. Looking forward to them!
Old 03-27-2010, 01:00 PM
nismonian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kramykram, you are the man! in for the comparisons.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:19 PM
tylerxfire

[QUOTE=beddow;8250038]Your gains while supercharged will be similar to N/A, turbocharged is a way different animal with exhaust mods. I am certain the gains over test pipes if any will be in the 2-3 hp, tuned or untuned QUOTE]

i dont even know what to say..guess thats why i gained way more power with exhaust mods already over what an n/a application would..I have tested different parts on a dyno sounds like u have not and are throwing out thoughts, ur statement is very untrue...Guess we will see what they gain once the time comes and someone F/I tests them over a test pipe setup, i guarantee it is a significant gain over an n/a application with same exhaust setups

Last edited by tylerxfire; 03-27-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:14 AM
screener
Banned

[QUOTE=tylerxfire;8251506]
Your gains while supercharged will be similar to N/A, turbocharged is a way different animal with exhaust mods. I am certain the gains over test pipes if any will be in the 2-3 hp, tuned or untuned QUOTE]

i dont even know what to say..guess thats why i gained way more power with exhaust mods already over what an n/a application would..I have tested different parts on a dyno sounds like u have not and are throwing out thoughts, ur statement is very untrue...Guess we will see what they gain once the time comes and someone F/I tests them over a test pipe setup, i guarantee it is a significant gain over an n/a application with same exhaust setups
I think you must of jumped the gun and read my post completely wrong. I was only stating SC does not pick up crazy TQ and HP like TC, SC responds similar to N/A with exhaust mods. I only quoted your post because another poster was making it seem like your SC would be a lot different than N/A.

I know what to say and here you said it. Here is your statement.

i had berk high flow cats with my setup and changed to berk test pipes and without tuning i gained 9whp and around 10tq
Now those gains are VERY SIMILAR to a N/A VQ going from cat pipes to test pipes.

Last edited by screener; 03-28-2010 at 03:44 AM.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:44 AM
tylerxfire

[QUOTE=beddow;8251798]

I think you must of jumped the gun and read my post completely wrong. I was only stating SC does not pick up crazy TQ and HP like TC, SC responds similar to N/A with exhaust mods. I only quoted your post because another poster was making it seem like your SC would be a lot different than N/A.

I know what to say and here you said it. Here is your statement.

Now those gains are VERY SIMILAR to a N/A VQ going from cat pipes to test pipes.
please tell me why a turbocharged engine would respond so much better to exhaust mods than a supercharged engine id really like to hear this..

i have never ever seen a n/a z pick up that torque and horsepower without tuning from switching from high flow cats to test pipes...Actually i went from 394whp 320ft. lbs. to 415whp 350ft. lbs. from switching my berk high flows to berk test pipes and changing my nismo y pipe to a motordyne xyz and re-tuning..seems u havent tested parts and are guessing by things u have read, a n/a z is not going to pick that up ever with mods like that..What have u tested on a z?

area under the curve is a big thing also and the main point i want to see a test pipe and art pipe comparison..peak numbers are not everything!!

Last edited by tylerxfire; 03-28-2010 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:59 AM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

please tell me why a turbocharged engine would respond so much better to exhaust mods than a supercharged engine id really like to hear this..
Because with on a turbocharger setup, the turbine, by design, is a huge restriction in the flow of exhaust gasses. Once that turbine has done its job (spinning the compressor wheel, compressing the desired amount of air), the exhaust needs to be able to exit the turbine with as little restriction as possible. A less restrictive exhaust post-turbo will allow the engine to expel its spent exhaust gasses through the turbine more efficiently than a more restrictive exhaust, therefore giving more power at a given boost level.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:13 AM
screener
Banned

[QUOTE=tylerxfire;8252070]

i have never ever seen a n/a z pick up that torque and horsepower without tuning from switching from high flow cats to test pipes...Actually i went from 394whp 320ft. lbs. to 415whp 350ft. lbs. from switching my berk high flows to berk test pipes and changing my nismo y pipe to a motordyne xyz and re-tuning..seems u havent tested parts and are guessing by things u have read, a n/a z is not going to pick that up ever with mods like that..What have u tested on a z?

area under the curve is a big thing also and the main point i want to see a test pipe and art pipe comparison..peak numbers are not everything!!
Thanks Chris, I just also want to add the obvious. A SC is driven by crankshaft rpm for boost, TC is driven by hot exhaust gases for boost. I do not know why we are having this dissusion, I was not saying you did anything wrong.

Now your numbers are way different from your previous 9hp 10tq. So what if you had a bad tune with the berk cats and now your tune is correct after also adding a new y-pipe. Did you gain all that from exhaust or most of it from the better suited tune? Tyler just sit there and think before you type, there are so many varibles when getting dyno numbers. You will gain more hp than n/a with exhaust mods no doubt, I was just wanting to seperate the whole FI term for exhaust upgrade. As far as boost goes, a SC will not responds like a TC to less restrictive piping.

Sorry OP I will go back on topic from here out.

So what is your point? Screw your numbers Tyler I don't care, this was never about YOUR numbers.

Here is the only debate here. Given identical FI vehicles, one being SC the other being TC, which dyno graph will most resemble a N/A's after performing exhaust upgrades? Since you have owned it all you should know the answer to this question.
Someone please answer this because Tyler is is in a funk and is misundserstanding what I was originally stating.
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Last edited by screener; 03-28-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:34 PM
tylerxfire

my 9whp and 10tq was untuned and strictly changing to berk test pipes from berk high flow cats..the other numbers were after the y pipe was put on and tuned and no both tunes were solid..and an n/a car is not going to get those gains was my point so saying a sc car will respond like a n/a car to exhaust mods is not the truth..Ill leave it alone as this thread should stay on topic but i just dont agree with that statement at all

i understand what is being said and totally agree that a turbocharged car is going to benefit more from exhaust mods because of the restrictive factor i have owned turbo cars and trucks and know how it works just wanted to here it from beddow..
Old 03-29-2010, 10:32 AM
SniperHunter

Guys, cut this sh*t out. This is way too off-topic now. Make another thread in the FI section and stop crapping on this one.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:37 PM
SniperHunter

Looking at my tracking info I see that the package weighs 19lbs. If you eliminate the box and other various shipping supplies, each ART Pipe should weigh about 7.5-8lbs. For comparison, that's still considerably lighter than the OEM stocks. And barely heavier than my Ultimate Racing HFCs. =)

They'll be here Friday. Hopefully on Saturday they'll go on.

Tony, what needs to be shaved down again? A stud of a screw to prevent banging on the driver's side resonator? Also, where does the O2 sensor go? I haven't seen a detailed image that clearly shows an opening. It looks like the hangar has a threaded opening?

Last edited by SniperHunter; 03-29-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:18 PM
onagao

Originally Posted by Arnold K.
Tony, what needs to be shaved down again? A stud of a screw to prevent banging on the driver's side resonator? Also, where does the O2 sensor go? I haven't seen a detailed image that clearly shows an opening. It looks like the hangar has a threaded opening?

Here's a pic of mine right after they were installed. You can trace the wire and see the bung where the O2 sensor goes. Also you should be able to see the screw just above the Helmholtz resonance chamber. If you can't, you'll clearly see it once you're under the car. That's the one that Tony suggests shaving off.

However, the pipes really don't move around much at all. I've put a lot of force upward on the section to see if it could potentially make contact with the screw, and it couldn't. As a result, I haven't had them taken off to shave the screw down and haven't had any issues yet. Every time my car gets on a lift, I feel the potential contact point to see if it's ever touched, and so far it hasn't. So it's not a definite necessity, but it's probably a wise decision just to be on the safe side.

Last edited by onagao; 03-29-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:09 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Arnold K.
Tony, what needs to be shaved down again? A stud of a screw to prevent banging on the driver's side resonator?
This one.
Name:  CutStud.png
Views: 145
Size:  335.3 KB
Old 03-29-2010, 10:45 PM
SniperHunter

Thanks, guys! I figure cutting half of the screw off would be more than enough.

Arrrgggh, can't wait! =)
Old 03-30-2010, 05:16 AM
rich2342

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Arnold,

How soon until you will have installation and dyno do you think? Will you also be re-tuning for the ART pipes?
Old 03-30-2010, 09:01 AM
SniperHunter

Won't be dynoing for a number of reasons. I don't have any decent places nearby, and, most importantly, I don't have any baseline dynos to gauge the gains. I will be writing a review as soon as they are installed, though, and I will be re-tuning it too.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:14 AM
rich2342

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Damn, too bad. There is nothing in New york?

You could have baselined with the current set-up and swapped out to the ART pipes for comparison sake.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:23 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I know it wont matter for baseline reasons arnold but that dyno day in maspeth is coming up.

Quick Reply: Advanced Resonance Tuning (ART pipes)