Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Advanced Resonance Tuning (ART pipes)

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 06:46 PM
Suwaidi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is what your car will sound like. IMO, cleanest note.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Ydt5O4kC_mc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-29-2013, 10:36 AM
RENFRO

Received 112 Likes on 75 Posts

Really surprised at how much these ART pipes cleaned up my exhaust note. Right now I'm running: Momentum Headers, ART Pipes, XYZ Pipe w/resonator, and a Momentum Dual exhaust.

It used to be violently loud. Saturday, however, I swapped in the headers and ART pipes. It is significantly quieter, but it TOTALLY changed the note of the exhaust. This thing actually sounds exotic now. Still plenty loud at WOT. Love it!
Old 07-30-2013, 09:25 PM
Nino135

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, quick question that has been killing me. Got my ARTs used from a guy on the forum, called Tony, told him what I had and that I needed gaskets. My question is, are the gaskets for the ARTs (I have an 07) little metal O-rings? Because that's what he sent me. I called and they said that was right, I guess I am still just a little nervous. Anyone know anything about it?
Old 07-31-2013, 02:00 AM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

Received 9,155 Likes on 6,603 Posts

Originally Posted by Nino135
Ok, quick question that has been killing me. Got my ARTs used from a guy on the forum, called Tony, told him what I had and that I needed gaskets. My question is, are the gaskets for the ARTs (I have an 07) little metal O-rings? Because that's what he sent me. I called and they said that was right, I guess I am still just a little nervous. Anyone know anything about it?
yes they are the correct ones, notice how the tube extends past the flange some, slip it over that and it will crush down. if you are really worried/ocd about hit you could get the regular gaskets and trim them out bigger to fit around the metal one, or get some high heat rtv to run around it
Old 07-31-2013, 08:12 PM
Nino135

awesome thanks, yeah I got it all installed today, and now I seem to be running into an issue where the passenger mid pipe wants to rub against the drive shaft? I tried turning the pipe away from it as much as I can but it seems to just want to move back there. Have any of you guys had this issue? It only seems to do it when I let off on the gas at higher speeds. I'm throwing it back on the lift tomorrow to see if I can move it around some more.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:03 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you sure it's touching the drive-shaft?

It's more likely the mid box is touching down on the cross brace.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:57 AM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

i think (if i remember correctly) that the ART pipe flanges sit a little lower than the stock ones, so when you take your foot off the gas and then engine is not torqued anymore the exhaust will shift some. F2CMaDMaXX got the diagnosis right, be willing to put money on it
Old 08-01-2013, 06:25 AM
Nino135

Thanks a ton guys. Gonna throw her on the lift here in a bit and try to figure it out. If it is the mid box on the cross brace what would be the suggested method of fixing it?
Old 08-01-2013, 06:27 AM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

try loosening the bolts and see if you can reposition it, if you cant do that, then you could try to get a heavy duty rubber exhaust mount and attach it to exhaust or the brace somehow
Old 08-01-2013, 11:20 AM
Nino135

Hey, thanks for all the input, I lifted it up and saw where it was rubbing. I did a combo of the two haha, adjusted the pipe as much as I could and then shoved some heavy duty rubber up there (I wanna say it was from a suspension spring brace or something). Anyways, took it out on test drive and no more noise.
You guys are life savers!!
Old 08-18-2013, 07:46 AM
RENFRO

Default ART Pipes robbing power?

So I hit the dyno yesterday after installing a set of Momentum headers and ART pipes on my 03 DE. Prior to that swap, I made 267whp at Z1 motorsports on their dynojet running a popcharger, port & polish plenum, OEM manifolds, Z1 test pipes, XYZ w/resonator, and a momentum performance dual.

After the header and art pipe swap...I literally made no power whatsoever. Not even 1whp. Really starting to wonder if the art pipes are messing up the flow of these headers. I know it's not the headers, these things are making power on all kinds of platforms. I just wonder if vs. a standard test pipe (when paired with headers) the art pipes are causing issues.

I'm not out to argue with anyone or stir the pot...I'm just wondering if anyone has ever done an actual independent dyno test to see if they make more power vs. test pipes when full bolt ons are completed. Z1 is getting me back on the dyno for free for testing purposes. I plan to swap on a set of resonated test pipes in hopes of still keeping some of the volume under control. The ART pipes do a fantastic job of doing that...just wondering if they're hurting my power
Old 08-18-2013, 09:13 AM
Suwaidi

My butt dyno said they make power, the Dynojet agreed and spilled out +8whp and around +11tq. There's another dyno sheet posted in the forums with a DE doing a before/after, +8 and around +6tq.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:20 AM
RENFRO

Yeah, I remember seeing the gains most people have been having...just really wasn't anticipating to get zero gains from adding headers/art pipes...I have a couple of buddies that gained power from headers. I'm a little dumbfounded honestly. Not sure why the delta value from before and after was literally nothing...I just find that very odd.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:24 AM
Suwaidi

The ones who gained power, were they DE's too? Reason I ask is because I haven't seen anyone mention power gains from Momentum headers on a DE, but the HR and VHR guys seem to be making some power out of them.

Last edited by Suwaidi; 08-18-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:40 AM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

Originally Posted by RENFRO
So I hit the dyno yesterday after installing a set of Momentum headers and ART pipes on my 03 DE. Prior to that swap, I made 267whp at Z1 motorsports on their dynojet running a popcharger, port & polish plenum, OEM manifolds, Z1 test pipes, XYZ w/resonator, and a momentum performance dual.

After the header and art pipe swap...I literally made no power whatsoever. Not even 1whp. Really starting to wonder if the art pipes are messing up the flow of these headers. I know it's not the headers, these things are making power on all kinds of platforms. I just wonder if vs. a standard test pipe (when paired with headers) the art pipes are causing issues.

I'm not out to argue with anyone or stir the pot...I'm just wondering if anyone has ever done an actual independent dyno test to see if they make more power vs. test pipes when full bolt ons are completed. Z1 is getting me back on the dyno for free for testing purposes. I plan to swap on a set of resonated test pipes in hopes of still keeping some of the volume under control. The ART pipes do a fantastic job of doing that...just wondering if they're hurting my power
Might need to re tune. I lost some when I went from hfc to art pipes
Old 08-18-2013, 11:49 AM
RENFRO

Originally Posted by travlee9374
Might need to re tune. I lost some when I went from hfc to art pipes
That's after tuning. Both instances are post tuning. Both landed at the same power output. Getting my hands on some resonated test pipes today...I'm going to see if I can get back on the dyno this coming Saturday. I'll have a no-**** dyno chart showing all the differences. However, if the gains on the test pipes are less than 5-6whp, I'll keep the ART pipes on just for the sake of the sound. I love how it sounds right now.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:08 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Did you check the power curve, or just top power? IIRC the top output will be ~the same.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:37 PM
RENFRO

Hmmm just top power...curious about the rest. I need to get the dyno chart emailed to me and I can compare.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:56 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Over TP's, they can't give more power at the top, that'd magic..... (think about that)

ART gains are all under the curve compared to regular TP's, they will gain both under and at the top when compared against cats and hi flows.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:28 PM
RENFRO

Makes sense...I just found it odd that I didn't gain any peak with a set of headers matched to them...I have noticed the mid range seems to pull much better. I need to compare the two charts though

Quick Reply: Advanced Resonance Tuning (ART pipes)