Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

ART pipes vs. Helix test pipes

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 05:32 PM
bluezee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ART pipes vs. Helix test pipes

Hi guys! I wanted to post up the results from my ART pipes and Helix test pipes dynos. Let me start by saying Tony has built another quality product. Build quality is outstanding. Fitment was spot on.

What I had:
Custom built 3.5" MAF/Intake tube
Pro-Flow ported throttle body
MREV2 plenum that was sent to Extrude Hone
Motordyne 5/16" spacer
Osiris tuning
Crawford headers (more on these later)
Helix test pipes
Motordyne XYZ pipe with the central resonator
Motordyne Harakari exhaust

Added:
Motordyne ART pipes

My last visit to the dyno was in October after I added the Crawford headers. Basically when i put them on I lost power and my AFR went richer. After leaning out the mixture I came full circle and ended up exactly where I started. I gained a bit more by retarding the cam timing in the 2k-3k rpm band and by adding 2 degrees around the 6k rpm band. I surely didnt understand this. But....it is what it is.

Today I dynoed the car with the same tune, put the ART pipes on and redynoed. Horsepower was very similar from 2500 up. Torque was up about 14 ft/lbs at 2k rpm. AFR hardly changed at all, so i didnt mess with them at all. I played with cam timing and gained a little (2-3ft/lbs) by essentially reversing what I had done with the cam timing back in October.

I will include delta charts for both torque and horsepower as soon as i can figure out how to do that. They will speak for themselves. Any help would be appreciated.

Drivability:
Awesome! The extra power down low is really felt around town. The hesitation I used to have at 2k is gone. There is a smoothness at all rpms that wasn't there before.

Sound:
Again, much better. The drone that was present at 2-2.5k has been reduced by about 80%. The little bit of rasp i had is completely gone. It is quieter overall inside the car. Outside I havent noticed much of a difference. May be a tad deeper. Outside has always sounded nice to me.

Would I buy them again. You bet. The elimination of the drone alone was worth it. There ya have it. As soon as I can figure out how to post the delta charts I will.

Bob
Old 03-30-2010, 05:35 PM
DB350

Videos, dynos and pics are needed sir
Old 03-30-2010, 05:57 PM
onagao

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on the pics, dynos, and videos.

Couple of questions:
- What year is your car?
- You lost HP from the headers? How much?

Other than that, great to hear. Welcome to the ART Pipe club!

Last edited by onagao; 03-30-2010 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:01 PM
NissanGeneration
Vendor - Former Vendor

any pictures
Old 03-30-2010, 06:23 PM
sfearl1

subbed ... I agree, Tony's products are incredible. I just installed the MREV2 and spacer on my 06 this weekend and am still smiling
Old 03-30-2010, 07:49 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Waiting for final numbers......
Old 03-30-2010, 09:45 PM
bluezee

Ok folks. Here are the delta charts. Im still working on posting the actual dynos.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails ART pipes vs. Helix test pipes-tq.gif   ART pipes vs. Helix test pipes-hp.gif  
Old 03-31-2010, 04:08 AM
bluezee

Ok guys, here are the actual dyno graphs.
Attached Thumbnails ART pipes vs. Helix test pipes-dynos.jpg  
Old 03-31-2010, 08:27 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you for doing the test Robert!

I expected to see more gain but then again, all of my testing was performed on stock headers. They may not make as much delta gain with headers but more testing will be needed to really know.

I'm otherwise glad you are happy with the acoustic and throttle response results.

Thanks again!
Tony
Old 03-31-2010, 08:43 AM
rich2342

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So judging from the graph and others, the ART pipes don't really impove the area under the curve consistently or is it tune dependant?

Beyond 2500rpm the graph above shows nearly identical tp's to ART pipes.

Are the ART pipes not meant for peak HP/WTQ gains?
The following users liked this post:
dnash (10-04-2017)
Old 03-31-2010, 08:45 AM
bluezee

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Thank you for doing the test Robert!

I expected to see more gain but then again, all of my testing was performed on stock headers. They may not make as much delta gain with headers but more testing will be needed to really know.

I'm otherwise glad you are happy with the acoustic and throttle response results.

Thanks again!
Tony
Thanks Tony! I had no expectations going in. After my last experience with the Crawford headers the last thing I wanted to do was to set my expectations too high.

As far as the gains go...Im wondering if anyone out there might offer up some opinions concerning the interaction with the headers and the ART pipes. Any ideas why the gains aren't as much as Tony might have thought. Could cam timing help any here? Any info you have might help.

Again, thanks for a great product Tony! I love the lack of drone compared to before and the extra pickup down low is great!
Old 03-31-2010, 09:03 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rich2342
So judging from the graph and others, the ART pipes don't really impove the area under the curve consistently or is it tune dependant?

A tune isn't required but in this case I think the interaction with different headers needs to be explored. I did all my testing on stock headers so it will take more data points to get a clear picture of how it interacts in different exhaust configurations.

EDIT: Unpolished versions of the ART pipes ($585) will be available soon. $385 after the pre/post dyno rebate.

Last edited by Hydrazine; 03-31-2010 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:30 AM
SniperHunter

Headers simply should be left alone on DEs. Onagao experienced the same issues, where he saw sharp gains in the low-end, but as the midrange approaches it evens out. Others with stock headers saw the type of gains as pointed out in Tony's tests.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:55 AM
rich2342

In that case bump for testers without headers!!!

I'd be all over this, but I've dropped so much money on mods/installs and a tune all in 1 month.

If guys can show some consistent gains on dyno's I'll remove the BERK's and go with these in a heartbeat.

After my tune, im looking for a way to increase top end speed. My torque has increased nicely, but it doesn't pull as hard when I near the top.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:07 AM
onagao

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In that case bump for testers without headers!!!

I'd be all over this, but I've dropped so much money on mods/installs and a tune all in 1 month.

If guys can show some consistent gains on dyno's I'll remove the BERK's and go with these in a heartbeat.

After my tune, im looking for a way to increase top end speed. My torque has increased nicely, but it doesn't pull as hard when I near the top.
I'm likely going to be removing my headers within the next week or so (once I get the courage to bite the bullet financially). I'll be sure to post the before/after dyno, but it'll be more to show what the headers did (or didn't do) rather than the ART Pipes. At the very least, it'll be another set of video/sound clips with a different setup.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:49 AM
SniperHunter

^^^ Looking forward to that.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:53 AM
rich2342

Originally Posted by onagao
I'm likely going to be removing my headers within the next week or so (once I get the courage to bite the bullet financially). I'll be sure to post the before/after dyno, but it'll be more to show what the headers did (or didn't do) rather than the ART Pipes. At the very least, it'll be another set of video/sound clips with a different setup.

Very cool.

Im curious what effect swapping out the HR-Y-pipe and Berk HFC's(obvious current set-up) vs. Motordyne Y-pipe and ART Pipes.

I would think im bound to gain some extra power?
Old 03-31-2010, 12:12 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

prob 3-5hp
Old 03-31-2010, 12:15 PM
nismonian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice! hr pipes were are you??
Old 03-31-2010, 07:21 PM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i really want to know what i would gain under the curve and what my torque would do with the art pipes vs. my test pipes...the unpolished ones are more tempting...when will they be out?

glad that ive stuck with my stock headers from what ive seen on them everywhere basically

Quick Reply: ART pipes vs. Helix test pipes