Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Inside the HKS Exhaust H-Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 08:18 PM
accordfreak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds good! i'm curious what people find in theirs. I only saw one case here but i can't seem the find the thread since it was a few years ago.. not very many people cut up their hks due to how much it costs.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:28 PM
accordfreak

i posted a pic on my original post on g35driver of how I received the Y pipe from the seller. the H pipe was not hacked up or rewelded or it would be quite obvious like what he did to the 'Y".
Old 01-18-2011, 09:59 PM
One_Quick_Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ever think It might be just a bad exhaust or have there actually been other documented cases?

I am currently running the HKS on my 370Z and had great gains with it and test pipes +22whp so I am happy.

DAN
Old 01-19-2011, 10:09 AM
TheDangerZone

lots of people found this on their hks exhausts. That's why so many people have the maganflow xpipe put in. ARK makes basically the same exhaust with what looks to be the sme maganflow xpipe everyone else uses.

ARK Grip exhaust

Magnaflow x pipe
Old 01-19-2011, 10:30 AM
Gary C

Originally Posted by TheDangerZone
lots of people found this on their hks exhausts. That's why so many people have the maganflow xpipe put in.
This is my 5th exhaust system on my G35 Coupe. I've been running the HKS for close to 2 years and very satisfied with the results, until seeing the pic posted on DRIVER showing the p!ss poor quality in the crossover. If this is an on going issues why are we just hearing about it now? Has I known about this I would have checked it out before I installed it. The sound of the HKS along with how it looks is incredible especially with HFCs....
Gary
Old 01-19-2011, 12:39 PM
One_Quick_Z

ARK is very sketchy I had that for a week on my 370Z and it was bad from the welds to the sound of a Kazoo.

DAN
Old 01-19-2011, 12:43 PM
TheCanuck

Originally Posted by lovemyVQ
So you went for the nismo Z and then went cheap on the parts for it? You sort of just defeated the whole purpose of buying a numbered nismo car. Why not just buy a base Z and throw on a knock off nismo parts/body kit of lesser quality? Anyway, this isn't another "authentic vs knock off" debate thread. It should be kept on topic relating to the HKS exhaust and a problem somebody thinks it may have. There's still no solid proof this a flaw existing in every exhaust hks produces. Nobody has shown a picture of a newer exhaust, with a picture of the blockage and proof that it's an authentic piece. Until that happens you can think what you want about HKS and their parts.

I plan on taking mine apart this spring and finding out exactly what's going on in there. If there's a blockage and the exhaust is an overpriced piece of crap maybe my opinion will change lol.

Because I did the correct research and didn't overpay for something that was just as good or almost as good as the original product. Don't be sensitive now just because it seems like the knock off was the better buy...

Last edited by TheCanuck; 01-19-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:20 PM
lovemyVQ

Again, off topic but not being sensitive here. You're just hypocritical in the sense that you buy an authentic nismo branded car which is a unique model but then buy knock off parts for it. That's all. Whether the knock off was a better buy is your opinion since people have experienced a lot of rust issues, fitment issues, and weld quality issues with the knock offs. The only problem with the authentic hks is an alleged one at best. It hasn't been proven definitively. The welds on mine look nothing like that picture.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:45 PM
03basesedan

Originally Posted by lovemyVQ
Again, off topic but not being sensitive here. You're just hypocritical in the sense that you buy an authentic nismo branded car which is a unique model but then buy knock off parts for it. That's all. Whether the knock off was a better buy is your opinion since people have experienced a lot of rust issues, fitment issues, and weld quality issues with the knock offs. The only problem with the authentic hks is an alleged one at best. It hasn't been proven definitively. The welds on mine look nothing like that picture.
I think its been proven that it's a real HKS quite definitively in this thread and the thread on Driver.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:22 AM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

Yet there are still people saying that there's is perfectly smooth inside. ???????

Either way i'll keep my fujitsubo. It sounds awesome and it's flawless.

Last edited by ReV2Red; 01-20-2011 at 04:30 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:44 AM
Nizmo0395

All it takes is one disgruntled employee for this to happen, to any company!!!
Old 01-20-2011, 08:14 AM
Sylvan Lake V35

Originally Posted by 03basesedan
I think its been proven that it's a real HKS quite definitively in this thread and the thread on Driver.
I don't think it has been proven at all, the only way to prove it without any doubts what so ever is a bill of sale from an approved HKS dealer. Not everyone that puts fake stuff on the market is up front about it Apexi estimates that 40 percent of it's electronics on the market are fakes it is possible that fake HKS stuff is out there. I am not talking knock offs that everyone knows are knock offs but all out fakes that are indistinguishable from the real thing being sold as the real thing. That is why you don't buy your parts off ebay.
I personally don't care if it is real or not but I certainly don't think any proof has been shown that HKS manufactured this exhaust. Sure it looks the same but fakes usually do show me a bill from an authorized HKS dealer then we will have proof

Last edited by Sylvan Lake V35; 01-20-2011 at 08:17 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:21 AM
dvo

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

This has been known for a while now. Just search and you'll find posts about it. I posted something about it years ago. I hacked my hks exhaust up and found the same thing.

https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exha...ml#post4757847

I had a local muffler shop weld the maganaflow xpipe in and the sound "smoothed" out a little. Maybe it's part of how HKS achieved the sound they're looking for by causing some turbulence. After about 4 months of swapping that out I sold the exhaust and bought a Tanabe and never looked back.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:20 AM
rich2342

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^ Looks like HKS is a bit negligent in their design and/or sloppiness of putting this together. If I were going to go True dual, I'd go M.D anyway.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:16 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Throw some turbos on that VQ and it will make up for that minimal obstruction.

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
LoL.....................!! 1500 bucks....u tards....

My single rocks...pffff...

-J
Old 02-03-2011, 01:15 AM
Lee R

Originally Posted by Gary C
Accord....
Saturday I'm going to remove/replace my crossover and I'll let you all know what I find. Ya gotta know if I find that restriction I'll be sending my parts to HKS and asking them why? Sure a lot of HKS systems for sale just in the last two weeks....
Gary

Old 02-03-2011, 12:07 PM
TheDangerZone

Originally Posted by Lee R
lol
Old 02-10-2011, 03:33 PM
r_seng

Wow... good thing I opted for Tony's TDX2.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:31 PM
G4nismo

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i would hate to have an HKS right now.
enjoying every bit of my exoticspeed exhaust
Old 02-12-2011, 03:06 PM
kingpin.andy

Default Nut hugger

I'm sorry, but I've seen no proof this is an HKS either. And someone buying a used exhaust has no idea where it actually came from.

Quick Reply: Inside the HKS Exhaust H-Pipe