Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Exhaust system design.(Sound in mind)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 08:14 AM
HBS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust system design.(Sound in mind)

Not sumthin for performance head out there but I really like how cool my NSX was sound with this kind of pretzel,weird looking exhaust system.
So I just thinking to made a custom one for my Z,so anyone had tried this kind of thing before?

Hard to find the vid on youtube for this kind of setup except for NSX(which popularized by GTone & taiwanese BelCanto exhaust setup)

here is the sample from my NSX:

Some of the info about this exhaust system:

Custom made from RacingFactoryYamamoto(RFY-JP),GT Xtreme from GT design series.

Twin parallel setup,made with full titanium,or with inconel rear tip.

It does not come with factory issued valvetronic system.

It does cut the horsepower as much as 3-5 hp(as proven with some NSX owner that running the same exhaust)

So,anyone here had made something like this for their exhaust system for 350Z?
I really digging the setup for my NSX(Topspeed header,custom straight pipe,GT Xtreme exhaust)
& I might do the same but it would be good if I can find some example from someone that has done this at the first place..because custom titanium exhaust with that kind of craftmanship not going to be cheap.

Last edited by HBS; 04-13-2011 at 09:08 AM.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:55 AM
ImportPartsPro
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's cool and all if you have done all your homework about resonance pulses and whatnot and can put together a system that will minimize noise levels and provide a pretty straight path for the exhaust flow, to my eye it just looks like a bunch of dead weight...
Old 04-13-2011, 11:15 AM
HBS

Originally Posted by ImportPartsPro
That's cool and all if you have done all your homework about resonance pulses and whatnot and can put together a system that will minimize noise levels and provide a pretty straight path for the exhaust flow, to my eye it just looks like a bunch of dead weight...
It actually sound very good but maybe too loud on outside,but the cabin sound it was much,much better(on NSX)

Here is the vid of the exhaust:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FESa-vGaXAc

Yes,the design of the exhaust not only eat a tiny amount of hp due to its restrictive flow & put another few lbs on exhaust system alone due to extra piping but since I was made my Z as a weekend drive,I think its OK to take few weight & loss for the sake of sound.

BTW,there is someone offered & explaination why the exhaust was so blocked on gas flow,& how the sound was made:

actually all that sound you're hearing is created by baffles that bypass the main muffler assembly. It adds weight and ruins the flow through the main channels, but it sounds nice. My Taitec easily outperformed this system. Have you ever heard of tuned diameter? That's because putting a 3" straight exhaust on your average car actually HURTS it. Turbo cars aside, it needs a certain backpressure to maintain its low end torque. No, wider does not mean more powerful.

Hmmm... sound good,but I have seen the Z running with test pipe+tuned header & true dual system but why there is still some rasp noise to be heard?
Is that due to the overall engine placement(front vs back,one with longer piping the other was short as possibly could) & the degree of the engine itself?(NSX is 90deg. V6 while the Z is 65deg. V6 am I right? )

I really want to make that raspy sound gone but looking at many sample vids on youtube it seems like impossible to do it.

Sorry for the question ,but I just wanted to know if the sound from the NSX really can be duplicated through the same exhaust design like the one on the vid.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:44 AM
ImportPartsPro
Vendor - Former Vendor

You'll see that a few have achieved the same effect with the 350Z using well placed resonators to get straight pipe power without the rasp.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:58 AM
HBS

Originally Posted by ImportPartsPro
You'll see that a few have achieved the same effect with the 350Z using well placed resonators to get straight pipe power without the rasp.

Looks like HKS hi-Power....am I right?

BTW,I have checked some of the vids of Z that running with this exhaust but it still does have the raspy/crisp kind growl when the car was revved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9beMb...eature=related

This is the exact problem I had with Nissan's car(they all sound awesome but the engine produce a growl/rasp tone that I dont know how to remove! )

Anyway,after long searching,I think this exhaust sound good....almost replicate the loud,high-pitched of the NSX GT Xtreme exhaust sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jtb90LvuN8Y

But dont know what the setup exactly,& what kind of exhaust system it use.Custom made or some niche-japanese garage-made sports exhaust system?
Old 04-13-2011, 04:03 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Over-engineered. This is a 350Z with 290 horsepower. Not the space shuttle.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:49 PM
HBS

Originally Posted by davidv
Its not about horsepower but the I want the exhaust design that can give the nice sound,& I never mind about the loss of horsepower just because of that.

NSX also sound abit different than the normal when changing an exhaust system to the normal piping but with that weird exhaust piping(like the GTone,RFY,& Pride exhaust system) the sound changing dramatically & thats what I want to achieve with the Z.

But I just open the topic to see if there is anyone from here has ever actually doing this long time ago...because I cant find any kind of this exhaust system for Z & the NSX one are quite small in size & cant be fitted properly to Z rear bumper.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:05 PM
Duckeee

not hks. the one importpartspro posted is the motordyne tdx2
Old 04-13-2011, 09:26 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Don't need to sacrifice power with a bunch of extra piping and unnecessary bends to make an exhaust sound good.

For a Z or G, a custom straight thru true dual exhaust design with dual Vibrant resonators, X-pipe, and dual JIC titanium mufflers = PURE SEX

BTW... That last exhaust vid on the 350Z sounds like crap IMO. The sound reminds me of how all the Honda Civics and other economy cars here in the USA sound that have large aftermarket mufflers with no resonators inline... the notorious "fart can" sound. But it seems like you want a screaming exhaust that is loud and raspy.

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 04-13-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:27 PM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

That NSX was sick.

Please don't mind the haters in this forum.

Just do it and report back with vids, I think it will sound great.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:39 PM
SQBassHead

Do it and post vids, it's your car

Do what you want
Old 04-14-2011, 06:33 PM
ryanm8

Any sound clips of this setup? Kinda interested now.

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
Don't need to sacrifice power with a bunch of extra piping and unnecessary bends to make an exhaust sound good.

For a Z or G, a custom straight thru true dual exhaust design with dual Vibrant resonators, X-pipe, and dual JIC titanium mufflers = PURE SEX

BTW... That last exhaust vid on the 350Z sounds like crap IMO. The sound reminds me of how all the Honda Civics and other economy cars here in the USA sound that have large aftermarket mufflers with no resonators inline... the notorious "fart can" sound. But it seems like you want a screaming exhaust that is loud and raspy.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:49 AM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by davidv

Originally Posted by HBS
Its not about horsepower but the I want the exhaust design that can give the nice sound,& I never mind about the loss of horsepower just because of that.

NSX also sound abit different than the normal when changing an exhaust system to the normal piping but with that weird exhaust piping(like the GTone,RFY,& Pride exhaust system) the sound changing dramatically & thats what I want to achieve with the Z.

But I just open the topic to see if there is anyone from here has ever actually doing this long time ago...because I cant find any kind of this exhaust system for Z & the NSX one are quite small in size & cant be fitted properly to Z rear bumper.
I really got this weird feeling your in for a heartache. your comparing apples to oranges. I was in route of a custom setup i came up with(nothing special) and the price was outrageous. plus i get cheaper rates on labor and it was still to costly. I would hate to receive the bill for this
Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0;9086200[B
]Don't need to sacrifice power with a bunch of extra piping and unnecessary bends to make an exhaust sound good.[/B]

Originally Posted by ryanm8
Any sound clips of this setup? Kinda interested now.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:06 AM
Z_enthusiast

I would like to do a set up like the 300's. I like how the two carbon mufflers angle upward and to the side. heres a pic to explain.

You can get 2 megan carbon mufflers like this for 140/each and a mandrel pipe kit for 140 and misc pipes/resonators about 100. so we're at about 520 bucks for this set up. It will just take lots of welding/cutting and can only be used with a bumper tuck.

Last edited by Z_enthusiast; 04-19-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:17 PM
midz350

^^

Old 04-19-2011, 12:42 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

sound clip? ^^
Old 04-19-2011, 01:09 PM
ImportPartsPro
Vendor - Former Vendor

/drool
Old 04-20-2011, 04:23 AM
midz350

Check SFR website for pricing and sound clip.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:54 AM
Z_enthusiast

ive already seen that set up for sale but I cant justify spending 1500 on it. I just purchased a mandrel pipe kit from Columbia and two vibrant resonators. next is the two carbon Megan racing mufflers. gunna have That look without the hks tips.