Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Motor / Plenum / Spacer questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 11:30 PM
GhostintheNight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor / Plenum / Spacer questions

Okay yeah, I realize that there are an over abundance of current threads that revolve around all of this. And believe me, I've spent the past couple hours grinding through these threads. So if you will, answer me a few questions. And if you must... go ahead and flame.

So, I just bought an '06 base M/T... which from what research i've done and the general FAQ thread says.... I automatically have a 300hp motor.... however my engine code is a DE, not HR... Would this claim be correct that i have a 300 hp DE motor?

Assuming that i have a 300 hp DE motor, this makes my decesion making process for the plenum spacer / mrev2 choice combination a little more difficult. Yes, I spent some good time going through half a dozen pages of the official spacer / mrev thread... i've seen all of the dynos etc.. Questions is this. What ultimately is the best setup? From those dyno pulls, it looks like 5/16 and MREV makes you pull timing but, just the MREV doesn't. However, i'm assuming these claims were made on the 287 hp non reveup motor... which is where my question comes into play. Assuming I do, in fact have a 300hp DE, would the same rules still apply? Would just the MREV still be the best way to go?

I've seen plenty of talk about the 5/16" spacer, and considerably less about the 1/2". I know the 1/2" makes you lose the strut bar. But what are the specs like on that? Motordynes website said 12 -14 hp increase for both the 5/16" and 1/2". The only difference i saw is that the 1/2" changes up the tone of one's exhaust. Now, it seems everyone is a big fan of the 5/16" over the 1/2" ... All i'm getting is that there's not much difference in HP gains between the two. So if this is correct, and the idea of having a "deeper growl under the hood" (as quoted by motordynes webiset) is appealing to me, then is there any huge reason to go 5/16?
Old 07-12-2011, 12:34 AM
Itzcashew

If it is a 2006 m/t you are definately driving a VQ35DE REV-UP which makes 300hp because of variable exhaust cam timing (regular DE have it on intake only), a revised lower plenum and a higher redline. The HR are the "High Response" engine and are completely revised with dual intake/throttle bodies, better plenum design (which is the reason why you want to put spacers on your DE Rev Up) and a whole new tune.

Now if you look at the plenum on your DE you will notice it slopes to the front. This is a design flaw as it restrict the air flow to the front cylinders. A plenum spacer will raise the plenum and allowing more air to flow into the front. To be honest a 5/16 is the best size you need. There is little difference in the gain of the 5/16 and 1/2 besides losing the strut bar.

Unfortunately for your REV UP motor the spacer will make no difference for your power gain because of the lower collector.
Take a look: DE on the left, REV UP on the right
Name:  IMG_1807.jpg
Views: 2396
Size:  93.8 KB

So for the REV UP a MREV is needed to see the most gains. Then to complete the set up you need to do a tune to optimize the gain.

I'll give you an example. My 03 is a regular DE so when i put 5/16 I felt the gains immediately. It pulls better than without the spacers on. My buddy put on spacers on his 06 and felt almost the same.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:38 AM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Name:  HIMYM-MindBlown-gif.gif
Views: 1172
Size:  523.2 KB
Old 07-12-2011, 03:13 AM
ImWeeZzel
350Z-holic

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Good info itzcashew. I've never seen the difference in the plenum design until this thread came along.

Easiest way to tell if you have a rev up, is to look at your rpm tach.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:21 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GhostintheNight
Questions is this. What ultimately is the best setup? From those dyno pulls, it looks like 5/16 and MREV makes you pull timing but, just the MREV doesn't. However, i'm assuming these claims were made on the 287 hp non reveup motor... which is where my question comes into play. Assuming I do, in fact have a 300hp DE, would the same rules still apply? Would just the MREV still be the best way to go?
...is appealing to me, then is there any huge reason to go 5/16?
Hi Ghostinthe night,

For the REVUP engine, the MREV2/spacer combo is by far the most effective bolton available. (short of nitrous or fi) It makes great power, is very easy to install and very cost effective.

Unless your engine is already running lean or you already have a lot of other modifications, you don't need to worry about a tune. Its not untill you add in a intake, spacer, MREV2, test pipes and exhaust that you really start to need a tune.

Some cars can come from the factory in the lean condition but its pretty rare.

The reason 5/16" is so much more popular than the 1/2" is because it allows you to keep your stock strut bar. As for the functional differences between the two, they are similar but different.
The 5/16" makes a higher average gain. (better for daily driving)
The 1/2" makes a higher peak gain. (better for racing application)

As for going with just the MREV2, this plot here shows the differences with and without the spacer. Adding the spacer basically adds ~10 HP to the top end of the MREV2.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:26 AM
GhostintheNight

Originally Posted by Itzcashew
If it is a 2006 m/t you are definately driving a VQ35DE REV-UP which makes 300hp because of variable exhaust cam timing (regular DE have it on intake only), a revised lower plenum and a higher redline. The HR are the "High Response" engine and are completely revised with dual intake/throttle bodies, better plenum design (which is the reason why you want to put spacers on your DE Rev Up) and a whole new tune.

Now if you look at the plenum on your DE you will notice it slopes to the front. This is a design flaw as it restrict the air flow to the front cylinders. A plenum spacer will raise the plenum and allowing more air to flow into the front. To be honest a 5/16 is the best size you need. There is little difference in the gain of the 5/16 and 1/2 besides losing the strut bar.

Unfortunately for your REV UP motor the spacer will make no difference for your power gain because of the lower collector.
Take a look: DE on the left, REV UP on the right

So for the REV UP a MREV is needed to see the most gains. Then to complete the set up you need to do a tune to optimize the gain.

I'll give you an example. My 03 is a regular DE so when i put 5/16 I felt the gains immediately. It pulls better than without the spacers on. My buddy put on spacers on his 06 and felt almost the same.
Wow, okay this actually makes a fantastic amount of sense. To be honest, for some reason, I was thinking that a HR motor and a REVUP motor were synonymous... so thanks for explaining that out for me.

And as far as that MREV goes, once again, thanks for explaining that out for me. And if memory serves me correctly, those shorter runners make me think HP / TQ gains will be more towards the higher end of the spectrum. With your buddy having put one on, would he agree? Or is my logic off on this? And out of general curiosity, what makes this lower collector better than stock? Is it just the shorter runners here?
Old 07-12-2011, 07:36 AM
GhostintheNight

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Hi Ghostinthe night,

For the REVUP engine, the MREV2/spacer combo is by far the most effective bolton available. (short of nitrous or fi) It makes great power, is very easy to install and very cost effective.

Unless your engine is already running lean or you already have a lot of other modifications, you don't need to worry about a tune. Its not untill you add in a intake, spacer, MREV2, test pipes and exhaust that you really start to need a tune.

Some cars can come from the factory in the lean condition but its pretty rare.

The reason 5/16" is so much more popular than the 1/2" is because it allows you to keep your stock strut bar. As for the functional differences between the two, they are similar but different.
The 5/16" makes a higher average gain. (better for daily driving)
The 1/2" makes a higher peak gain. (better for racing application)

As for going with just the MREV2, this plot here shows the differences with and without the spacer. Adding the spacer basically adds ~10 HP to the top end of the MREV2.
So MREV2 and 5/16 spacer -- Cool. Given what you said, I'll be golden. At the moment, my car is completely stock except for a K&N air filter element. however, i do have a NISMO CAI on the way, but i'm assuming that i shouldn't need a tune just yet until i get the full intake / exhaust combination?

And from other posts I've read, I've seen where people warn against doing too much to the intake, saying that adding both the spacer and lower collector will up the HP, but it will also lower the throttle response. Is that substantiated? Or is this just just people talking?

And man! that collector and even spacer really cleans up that power curve doesn't it! Aside from being an 06' M/T, was there any other mods on the car on that dyno?

Last edited by GhostintheNight; 07-12-2011 at 07:39 AM.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:27 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 413 Likes on 236 Posts

leave the stock airbox on the car and use a good air filter. AFtermarket intakes create issues w the turbulence of the airflow across the maf, its not the amount of people ( air) comming in the house, its how they fight to get thru the door that causes issues.

Tuning after the plenum mod and test pipes is a night and day difference.
Best mod to throw on w out a tune would be stock airbox and the abovementioned spacers.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:28 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

And from other posts I've read, I've seen where people warn against doing too much to the intake, saying that adding both the spacer and lower collector will up the HP, but it will also lower the throttle response. Is that substantiated? Or is this just just people talking?

And man! that collector and even spacer really cleans up that power curve doesn't it! Aside from being an 06' M/T, was there any other mods on the car on that dyno?
I also see a lot of speculative posts but unless its from a person who's done a lot of dyno testing, take it with a grain of salt.

As for doing other modifications, you could always do the ART pipes and Shockwave))) exhaust. It will make great gains.

And always save the tune for dead last.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:58 PM
Itzcashew

I also see a lot of speculative posts but unless its from a person who's done a lot of dyno testing, take it with a grain of salt.

As for doing other modifications, you could always do the ART pipes and Shockwave))) exhaust. It will make great gains.

+1 always figure out what your set up is because to change your set up means to get a retune which is more $$$$. If i were you I'd go MREV, 5/16 spacers, ART pipes and Shockwave.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:49 PM
GhostintheNight

Originally Posted by bmccann101
leave the stock airbox on the car and use a good air filter. AFtermarket intakes create issues w the turbulence of the airflow across the maf, its not the amount of people ( air) comming in the house, its how they fight to get thru the door that causes issues.

Tuning after the plenum mod and test pipes is a night and day difference.
Best mod to throw on w out a tune would be stock airbox and the abovementioned spacers.
Already have a nismo CAI on the way. Had i not already spent money on it, i definitely would have stuck with stock. Thanks for the tip thought.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:50 PM
mattleegee

not comparing the 1/2 to 5/16
Is there any gain to getting the "copper" kit or "iso thermal" kit? (compared to the basic kit)

owned the car 4 days and want to buy something!
Old 07-12-2011, 08:53 PM
GhostintheNight

+1 always figure out what your set up is because to change your set up means to get a retune which is more $$$$. If i were you I'd go MREV, 5/16 spacers, ART pipes and Shockwave.
Thanks a lot guys for the insight. I originally wanted to do both the MREV and spacer, but was a little concerned when i read that I might lose a little throttle response, because I'm a big fan of throttle response.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:14 PM
Itzcashew

Thanks a lot guys for the insight. I originally wanted to do both the MREV and spacer, but was a little concerned when i read that I might lose a little throttle response, because I'm a big fan of throttle response.
If you lose response that means you need a tune. After a tune you wouldn't miss a thing.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:18 PM
Itzcashew

Originally Posted by mattleegee
Is there any gain to getting the "copper" kit or "iso thermal" kit? (compared to the basic kit)

owned the car 4 days and want to buy something!
Copper and iso thermals are to reduce the temp of the incoming air.

Copper is ideal if you're living in colder nothern regions. It will prevent your throttle body from freezing over. If you live in the south how ever a iso thermal set is best for the money. It will include a iso thermal gasket and a coolant control valve. The gasket prevent heated air to come into the engine and the ccv will stop the coolant flow to the throttle body. Because coolant is at operating temp and it will cause the tb to heat up and therefore heat up the incoming air. With the isothermal gasket and ccv after a long trip i touch my plenum and its more of a put of the oven warm vs. a hot engine.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:28 PM
GhostintheNight

Copper and iso thermals are to reduce the temp of the incoming air.

Copper is ideal if you're living in colder nothern regions. It will prevent your throttle body from freezing over. If you live in the south how ever a iso thermal set is best for the money. It will include a iso thermal gasket and a coolant control valve. The gasket prevent heated air to come into the engine and the ccv will stop the coolant flow to the throttle body. Because coolant is at operating temp and it will cause the tb to heat up and therefore heat up the incoming air. With the isothermal gasket and ccv after a long trip i touch my plenum and its more of a put of the oven warm vs. a hot engine.
So, to piggyback off this... As I currently live in detroit, and definitely will not be using this car as a winter driver ... at all... and only being used in the late spring - late fall time, I'm still thinking i'd like the thermal kit too... colder plenum = colder air = better combustion, correct?
Old 07-12-2011, 09:33 PM
GhostintheNight

Also, damn you guys for introducing me to the shockwave exhaust system. I was pretty set on keeping the nismo brand on the vehicle. i really enjoy the sound a nismo exhaust puts out, but i'll be damned if that shockwave doesn't sound sexy as hell --- even on youtube!

I realize that this is off topic, but what are the HP gains from the catback and HRC's. Also, how loud and aggressive is the sound? Doesn't sound too ridiculous. As a daily driver, I'd like to be able to pull up to my house at midnight after cruising around for the night and not have my neighbors want to kill me because the exhaust is obnoxiously loud
Old 07-12-2011, 11:33 PM
Itzcashew

Also, damn you guys for introducing me to the shockwave exhaust system. I was pretty set on keeping the nismo brand on the vehicle. i really enjoy the sound a nismo exhaust puts out, but i'll be damned if that shockwave doesn't sound sexy as hell --- even on youtube!

I realize that this is off topic, but what are the HP gains from the catback and HRC's. Also, how loud and aggressive is the sound? Doesn't sound too ridiculous. As a daily driver, I'd like to be able to pull up to my house at midnight after cruising around for the night and not have my neighbors want to kill me because the exhaust is obnoxiously loud
The CCV on the thermal kit have a kill switch that let you open the valve back up to allow coolant to run through during winter temp.

As for the shockwave the V2 has a Helmholtz resonator chamber by the exhaust exit to tone down the sound. It has absolutely no drone and it will be the better choice vs. say the V1. If you buy brand new i think all they sell is V2. Though don't quote me on that i may be wrong.

Spot the difference?

Last edited by Itzcashew; 07-12-2011 at 11:36 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:37 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by mattleegee
The Iso Thermal provides ~10% more gain and reduces the tendancy for ping by allowing the plenum assembly to run a lot cooler.

I generally recommend the Iso Thermal unless you live in an area where it gets really cold. In that case I recommend the Copper Iso Thermal.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:38 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

No. In fact, its quite the opposite. The MREV2/spacer combo significantly improves throttle response.

Quick Reply: Motor / Plenum / Spacer questions