Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

remove stock muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 08:45 PM
orangeisaac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remove stock muffler?

What about removing the stock muffler and having the guys at Midas fabricate a connection to the rear? The cats would remain so it should pass smog, right?

I'm looking at all these expensive exhausts and it occurred to me why replace the whole exhaust?

Your thoughts?
Old 07-16-2011, 09:30 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Muffler delete? That will be awesome.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:41 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Already discussed and could have been found by searching for "muffler delete"

https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exha...-56k-bleh.html

If this is your daily driver expect to know the local police by first name because you will get ticketed for being too loud.

Last edited by Waiz; 07-16-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:15 AM
illjim69

Received 545 Likes on 443 Posts

Wow. LOL!

Sounds like a bad idea OP, just like Waizzz said, the cops will be all over you. Save up and get a real exhaust. If money is an issue, get a muffler shop to fab up an axleback using a Flowmaster 40 series or something.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:00 AM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad idea...Better to go to a muffler shop and have e'm fabricate some pipes and resonators.Also,it'll be LOUD...cops will get you.Inside the car will be some heavy
noise.
Exhaust "systems" are just that.Good one are a system to do a more efficient job of
getting rid of what comes out of the engine.Just because you go to a "straight" exhaust
does not mean your gonna get more HP.
I'd save up my money and get a good cat back system...sound better...will get a few extra ponies at the rear wheels!
Old 07-21-2011, 11:24 AM
VQdriver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by illjim69
Wow. LOL!

Sounds like a bad idea OP, just like Waizzz said, the cops will be all over you. Save up and get a real exhaust. If money is an issue, get a muffler shop to fab up an axleback using a Flowmaster 40 series or something.
The found for myself that the flowmaster has been done a few years ago. A few youtube clips sound really nice on the FX, Z/G setup. It's the route I'm going to take for a conservative setup for not a lot of dough. If you wanted to use the stock midpipe a Flowmaster 80 series (camaro style) will weld right up to the stock tips. Hint: Flowmasters are now copied since their patent is up and they sell inexpensive "flowsound" mufflers which are almost identical for half the price on ebay.

I got my old 97 maxima to run solid 14.0 1/4mi passes using a "budget minded" exhaust. So it is possible to get a car to perform better than the sum of it's parts. The car looked close to stock, flew under the radar, sounded aggressive, but also cruised quietly and avg 25mpg daily driven. I plan on using the same formula for my coupe just to have a little fun.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:48 AM
mdztuners

Please dont do this...this is something that people with hondas around me do and I just shake my head
Old 12-10-2011, 02:09 PM
shakalaka

I am thinking of doing this. Found this video. Doesn't sound obnoxiously loud or anything that cops would have a problem. Sound pretty part with any of the aftermarket exhausts imo and I like how it looks as well to be honest. Hate the muffler look sitting at the back (main reason other than the sound I want to do this).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWzO8lk8Jj8