Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

catalytic converter questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 02:56 PM
mobay350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default catalytic converter questions

Changing my Catalytic converters on my 2004 3.5L –check engine code P0420 & P0430 – car registered in Arizona. The issues I’m having is not a clear understanding of the emissions standards that applies to my car – for example ...
• Problem #1 [price] – Sticker under hood says [[[ conforms to US EPA regulation applicable to gasoline 2004 model year new TIER2 BIN5 and California regulations LEV2-LEV]]]... which I was told means my car was made in California and is set to the state’s EPA emissions and will NOT-CONFORM to the catalytic converters that are manufactured for [49 states legal including az]. Which also means I’ll be spending $800 plus per unit [Left and Right] Total $1900 inside of spending $1040 for an after market unit.
 1st Is this true – cant find this info in the repair manual ???
• Problem #2 [check engine light] – Found out that if I live in Arizona I can most definitely use an after market Cat – however my dealer says that if the car is designed for California’s emission – I may pass my Arizona emission but my check engine light will stay on..
 Again is this true???
Old 02-09-2012, 03:27 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

OBD II diagnostic codes are an excellent tool but imperfect. You may have a

failed catalytic converter
oxygen sensor problems
engine running rich

During a visual inspection the technician may look at the catalytic converters. OEM or aftermarket no big deal - as long as it is fat in the middle.

Above fail

Above pass

Last edited by davidv; 02-09-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:57 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

See my responses below in blue

Originally Posted by mobay350z
Changing my Catalytic converters on my 2004 3.5L –check engine code P0420 & P0430 – car registered in Arizona. The issues I’m having is not a clear understanding of the emissions standards that applies to my car – for example ...
• Problem #1 [price] – Sticker under hood says [[[ conforms to US EPA regulation applicable to gasoline 2004 model year new TIER2 BIN5 and California regulations LEV2-LEV]]]... which I was told means my car was made in California and is set to the state’s EPA emissions and will NOT-CONFORM to the catalytic converters that are manufactured for [49 states legal including az]. Which also means I’ll be spending $800 plus per unit [Left and Right] Total $1900 inside of spending $1040 for an after market unit.

I'm not sure who is telling you these things.

Your car was made in Japan, it is smog legal for all states including California.

• Problem #2 [check engine light] – Found out that if I live in Arizona I can most definitely use an after market Cat – however my dealer says that if the car is designed for California’s emission – I may pass my Arizona emission but my check engine light will stay on..
 Again is this true???

You should probably address the check engine light before doing anything else.

There is a list of codes in our Maintenance section that I would refer you to.

If you clear the code it should not come back just by changing the Cats.

Last edited by Waiz; 02-09-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:28 PM
jv350z

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

^ true dat.

I passed inspections with ERZ HFCs. The guy only did a visual; he commented that my car was clean that he thought it was pretty new, so I don't think he cared too much.

If you do find that you have to replace your cats, I would suggest picking up a used OEM set from the Marketplace or Craigslist. *%^$## the dealer.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:51 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

NEVER buy OEM cats new. They can be had cheap or close to free on the used market (people toss them out after switching to test pipes or HFC, ect).
Old 02-09-2012, 09:40 PM
ronn1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mobay350z
 Again is this true???
In most cases it's not the CAT, but the O2 sensors (post cat) that fail and you will get a CAT efficiency code anyway. Sometimes it's the precat (AF wideband) sensor.
It's rarely a failed cat itself. My wife's Camry had a failed (CAT EFFICIENCY) CAT code recently, and I replaced BOTH the AF and o2 senssors and code never came back.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:36 AM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even though emmissions standards set by the government are supposed to be
uniform,HOW they are interpreted and HOW strict the tests are will vary by state.
Here in GA.,you won'tget by with a "looks good" inspection.Also in this state,only certain
cities or counties require inspection(they have above average air problems).
Bottom line,you live in Arizona,you gotta do what is necessary to pass.Or,move toanother state.As far as CATS go,I agree...buy a used one.They atr pretty cheap.
Or,ask around if you are modding your exhaust on what HFC etc "PASSES" in your state.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:37 AM
mobay350z

Sorry – for the late response – decided to fix my girl’s Miata first so I could use her car while I work on the Z – ended up changing the timing belt, power steering pump, spark plugs etc...

I purchased two brand new OEM Cats $715 for both with shipping [dealer wanted $709 per and $2400 total installed – WTF??? Where do they come up with these numbers?] plus when I sell my two used cats I should get about $100 each...
http://www.discountcatalyticconverte...nts=partfinder

I’ve found out that in AZ we can most definitely used a non-Cali cat – and I also found out the reason both cats went out is because when my check engine light first went on to change my o2 sensor by ignoring it for the length of time I did cause the second cat to also fail.
So lesson learnt: when check engine light comes on check the dam thing – I would have only needed to change the one that failed.
Also – due to the amounts of thief here in PHX the state have outlawed scrap yards from buying used Catalytic converters – so I’m selling mine to http://davisconverters.com/ which I should receive hopefully about $100 per/// but still waiting to see if I can find a place locally.
Also, since I was going under the car decided also to do the following
1. Change out the entire clutch system $435 TL [it may be cheap but I’ve used this brand before had about 60k miles of very hard driving]... http://stores.ebay.com/gripforce-clu...id=p4340.l2563

2. Exhaust system – to make sure I get back a little performance ...a friend at work has these same pipes and recommended them but I’m not too sure – I want to make sure they would be compatible I upgrade to a turbo system next year.

Anyone know if these are good exhaust pipe???
Old 02-28-2012, 05:38 PM
nismo1232

If I remove the cats on my 2008 other than get more power and the engine lite on what will happen to the computer?
Old 03-06-2012, 08:30 AM
mobay350z

absolutely right