Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

pop-charger vs Z1 high flow intake pkg in enclosure?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 02:31 PM
ewles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pop-charger vs Z1 high flow intake pkg in enclosure?

either route i go, i will be designing/building(or having built) a custom enclosure, probably using sheet metal(a similar design to AEM's 2007+ GM truck intake, pictured below), which will connect to the stock air inlet through the rad support, then coated(not sure paint/rocker guard/plastidip).

AMS is fairly local to me and has the JWT for 110 and the Z1 for 140. i know that the filters and venturi design are going to be fairly similar, but the question i have is about the Z tube. the JWT uses the stock hard rubber tube which has ripples right after the MAF(turbulence may occur). the rubber is not susceptible to any heat soak from being directly above the exhaust manifold. on the other hand, the Z1 high flow has a nice, smooth aluminum Z tube. this tube has no rippled areas to cause turbulence, "fancy" silicone couplers, but is made of aluminum and sitting right above the exhaust manifold. i have to admit, i do really like the look of the black Z tube with silicone couplers.

$28 is pretty cheap for an aluminum Z tube, so the question is: since its aluminum, would it be susceptible to heat soak?
i guess the best comparison would be from people who have a pop-charger, or similar, and have had experience with and without an aluminum Z tube.

ps. i know some of you are going to say to just get the JWT and be done with it, but i dont want something that pulls warm air, ever..

AEM CAI for 2007+ GM 1/2 tons
Name:  aem-21-8031dc.jpg
Views: 864
Size:  25.0 KB

Last edited by ewles; 11-25-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:06 PM
ewles

are you guys serious? 70+ views and i have zero input on the aluminum vs stock Z-tube?
Old 11-25-2012, 10:01 PM
350Zdj

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The thing is, any intake product doesn't make much of a difference for the Z lol. Stock filter box + drop-in filter will be probably just as good as that one you're talking about.

Don't waste your time on this
Old 11-25-2012, 11:46 PM
Itzcashew

https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exha...5-21-07-a.html

This has been covered many times before.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:35 PM
Surg

Originally Posted by ewles
are you guys serious? 70+ views and i have zero input on the aluminum vs stock Z-tube?
one for winter, one for summer
Old 11-26-2012, 03:17 PM
ewles

350Zdj, thank you for your input. i have a k&n drop in, that came with the car when i bought it, but i like the aftermarket look, even if it includes an airbox.

itzcashew, i didnt break any rules, i never asked if one intake was better than the other; i have read the rules of the forum and understand that im not "allowed" to do so. i was just curious about your guys thoughts of stock vs aluminum Z tube.

i know that the stock intake setup has very little room for improvement for an untuned vehicle, but as they say, to each their own.

anyhow, ill just get the z1 and measure the temperature of both of the tubes with an I/R temp gun, when running, and use the cooler one. after all, it is only $28.

i figure ill do this instead of getting flamed for asking a fairly simple question for the more experienced guys to answer. ive been on other forums before and never seen such a negative attitude towards questions like this (and no, i dont mean just this thread, ive seen it all over these boards). after all, i thought forums were here for people to share media and discuss ideas and so on, but i guess that isnt always the case here...
at least Surg has a sense of humor...
Old 11-26-2012, 07:39 PM
Itzcashew

A tube is a tube man it really does not raise the power of the car.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:50 PM
Surg

I think what you need is a tune with this mod. I had the stock box with a k & n
drop -in filter without the tune switched to a pop charger, alum. tube and a small alum. heat shield. it slowed the car down. Ok returned to stock and k&n
setup then got a tune it was better. Then got bored put back in pop charger,
Alum. tube and small alum. heat shield and it improved again in both performance and mileage. I kept it on my idea is to create a cold air system by using the alum. to absorb cold in winter using water, ice or some other method to freeze the intake tube as with rubber it wont be possible.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:12 PM
ewles

Surg, that sounds like some sort of an intercooler idea... pretty intense! and about the pop lowering your power, i read somewhere that its because it creates a bit of turbulence around the MAF, causing it to believe that its taking in more air than it is. i know im running a bit lean, so this would be good for me, because it will automatically compensate and add extra fuel when needed to keep me within spec

itzcashew, i know it wont increase the power, but if there is enough heat soak in that tune, it could lower it. anyhow, ive decided that im going to get the aluminum one just for the show bit, if the tube is a lot warmer, ill just sell the tube and keep the stock one.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:03 PM
Surg

I dont think the tubes heat is the problem rather the heat coming from the
engine and going directly thru the filter. If you could get a heat shield like
the one in your original picture. And isolate the air so it goes directly to your
filter from outside. Either way I think the only way to get any gain would be
to follow it with a tune for the computer. uprev or something similar.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:48 PM
ewles

ya, thats what my plan is. custom build an airbox like in the picture, probably using ducting metal, because of the low cost of material, then finish it with plastidip, then possibly paint, over that to give it a professional look, as well as more heat deflection. work out something for the plenumn(thinking about the kinetix velocity, because its "pretty" and the mrev2+spacer is the same cost here in canada -_-) and finish off the exhaust, probably with the invidia gemini, then tune. though, i may have to tune before im done all of this for emissions purposes(we now use plug and play and i have no cats)

thanks for the input though, im going to call AMS tomorrow to see if they have any Z1 high flows in stock
Old 11-28-2012, 04:28 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,305 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by ewles
anyhow, ill just get the z1 and measure the temperature of both of the tubes with an I/R temp gun, when running, and use the cooler one. after all, it is only $28.
Pointless, the engine is going thru 3.5 liters of air every turn of the crank, at idle speed of 800 rpm that is moving 2800 liters of air a minute. That is a lot of air flow, the air is in the tube for less than a split second. Next the IR gun will only tell you outside temp of the tube, you need the IAT reading from the ECU to really know what is going on.

The best/only way to change inlet temp is the source the engine sucks it in from. That is why the heatshield for the popcharger is sooooo important.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:21 PM
ewles

is the IAT not taken from the MAF? i know a lot of cars are, but not all... but if it is, the manifold entry air temp would be different from the MAF IAT reading.

however, you do make a good point, further making me want the Z1. since im going to fab up an intake box, i might as well get the fancy dress up part.

thank you guys for helping!