Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Tomei Expreme Ti full catback vs using Motordyne XYZ

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 05:23 PM
RENFRO

Received 106 Likes on 73 Posts

I'm sure it would be very tame. I would avoid ART pipes if you intend to do headers. Just based on my experience. Dyno results I did are in the ART pipes thread.

Video Clip! Recorded with an android phone...but there's pretty much zero rasp. Sounds awesome.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/reZaJuvyudE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by RENFRO; 09-22-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:01 PM
Rubidium

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to try the headers with ART up here, see if I can get a different result :P

I'm still going to do this exhaust set up though....just got a few other things that need to get straightened out
Old 09-23-2013, 05:19 AM
RENFRO

When you do your testing with ART pipes, you need to do a same day dyno and swap out for test pipes. My testing was done with re-tuning. So, ART pipes tuned vs Test pipes tuned. I gained nearly 10rwhp and about 7rwtq across my entire powerband with test pipes.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:20 PM
Glenn350zHR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RENFRO
When you do your testing with ART pipes, you need to do a same day dyno and swap out for test pipes. My testing was done with re-tuning. So, ART pipes tuned vs Test pipes tuned. I gained nearly 10rwhp and about 7rwtq across my entire powerband with test pipes.
your car sounds quieter than mine even with the silencer in and im running cats also. Im definitely ditching the z1 cats and tomei ypipe for the z1 test pipes and XYZ. Im assuming you did this video with no silencer? any drone while cruising?
Old 09-23-2013, 01:22 PM
Glenn350zHR

i think in my mind i thought cats would quiet the car down enough but in fact it did nothing of the sort. might as well get the performance out of the test pipes
Old 09-23-2013, 01:37 PM
Z1Motorsports
Banned

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Glenn,

Is yours this loud?
Old 09-23-2013, 01:56 PM
Glenn350zHR

ya if not louder but the video is showing full throttle and idle. Actually my car with the silencer sounds about this loud lol. but its not the volume under throttle thats an issue. the issue with my setup is drone and volume during regular driving. it literally sounds like open headers in my garage upon startup and under normal driving it drones horribly bad. its as loud as my friends R32 turbo with side exit exhaust dump off the headers and thats a 600hp race car. Week one i had been asked to quiet the car down by a cop who heard me a half mile away and i was even trying to keep the rpms below 3k. Silencer in theres no issue with drone.

Last edited by Glenn350zHR; 09-23-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:09 PM
Glenn350zHR

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/fBB3n0BhePw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

granted these are videos and you cant really compare volume. this video is the closest ive found to my car. all i hear while cruising is drone and rasp. no other way to explain it. ive had many turbo cars with open wastegates. i had an NA R32 with 3in nonresonated exhaust no cats and cams. none of these cars droned like this. no other way to explain it.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:15 PM
RENFRO

Originally Posted by Glenn350zHR
your car sounds quieter than mine even with the silencer in and im running cats also. Im definitely ditching the z1 cats and tomei ypipe for the z1 test pipes and XYZ. Im assuming you did this video with no silencer? any drone while cruising?
That's correct, no silencer. Only sound deadening items are the XYZ resonator, and the resonator on the tomei mid-pipe. It's actually quieter than my Momentum dual, and definitely quieter than when I used to run OEM manifolds.

Perhaps Z1 could shine some more light on it, but my thoughts are that with headers like the momentum/Z1's, the airflow is much less turbulent. The sound is very smooth and progressive. I'm very pleased overall with the car while cruising. In the world of singles/aggressive exhausts on the Z, I would consider it very tame while cruising, but definitely louder than my Momentum dual at WOT. It's certainly a frankenstein exhaust with every part being from a different company, but I think I hit the nail on the head with what I was looking for.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:16 PM
RENFRO

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/fBB3n0BhePw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

granted these are videos and you cant really compare volume. this video is the closest ive found to my car. all i hear while cruising is drone and rasp. no other way to explain it. ive had many turbo cars with open wastegates. i had an NA R32 with 3in nonresonated exhaust no cats and cams. none of these cars droned like this. no other way to explain it.
That Z sounds terrible. No other way to describe it.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:55 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Lmao yea it was a very unsettling exhaust note compared to others...

I'll say this a WOT it sounded insanely beautiful!

Check out the rest of my videos from that link.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:22 PM
Glenn350zHR

Originally Posted by KingBaby
Lmao yea it was a very unsettling exhaust note compared to others...

I'll say this a WOT it sounded insanely beautiful!

Check out the rest of my videos from that link.
I already watched every single one of your videos over the weekend
Old 09-23-2013, 05:27 PM
Glenn350zHR

That's correct, no silencer. Only sound deadening items are the XYZ resonator, and the resonator on the tomei mid-pipe. It's actually quieter than my Momentum dual, and definitely quieter than when I used to run OEM manifolds.

Perhaps Z1 could shine some more light on it, but my thoughts are that with headers like the momentum/Z1's, the airflow is much less turbulent. The sound is very smooth and progressive. I'm very pleased overall with the car while cruising. In the world of singles/aggressive exhausts on the Z, I would consider it very tame while cruising, but definitely louder than my Momentum dual at WOT. It's certainly a frankenstein exhaust with every part being from a different company, but I think I hit the nail on the head with what I was looking for.
That's an interesting observation as I was going to ask which headers you were running? Z1s?

I placed the order for the XYZ resonated and Z1 test pipes today. Again current Tomei Setup is with the Z1 cats and Tomei ypipe. Ill try to get a before and after video sound clip both steady state and revving and cruising no silencer. this will be with stock headers. I think WOT is irrelevant as we all know the car sounds boss when opened up. Give me 2 weeks

Last edited by Glenn350zHR; 09-23-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:38 AM
RENFRO

That's an interesting observation as I was going to ask which headers you were running? Z1s?

I placed the order for the XYZ resonated and Z1 test pipes today. Again current Tomei Setup is with the Z1 cats and Tomei ypipe. Ill try to get a before and after video sound clip both steady state and revving and cruising no silencer. this will be with stock headers. I think WOT is irrelevant as we all know the car sounds boss when opened up. Give me 2 weeks
Sounds good man! I'm actually running a set of momentum headers
Old 09-24-2013, 05:20 AM
sidewaysil80

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread sealed the deal for me, I'm officially going with soho over tomei.
The tomei just seems like a lot of money for a rudimentary design. I get that it's titanium but there seems to be a lot more r&d/thought into the soho kit. Seeing as how they're the same price (forum vendor pricing ftw) I can't justify the titanium bling factor for a better designed product. I'm going to pair their ypipe/exhaust to my strup headers/resonated test pipe. I am debating switching to standard test pipes since the ypipe is resonated.

Last edited by sidewaysil80; 09-24-2013 at 05:21 AM.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:16 AM
RENFRO

Originally Posted by sidewaysil80
This thread sealed the deal for me, I'm officially going with soho over tomei.
The tomei just seems like a lot of money for a rudimentary design. I get that it's titanium but there seems to be a lot more r&d/thought into the soho kit. Seeing as how they're the same price (forum vendor pricing ftw) I can't justify the titanium bling factor for a better designed product. I'm going to pair their ypipe/exhaust to my strup headers/resonated test pipe. I am debating switching to standard test pipes since the ypipe is resonated.
I would hardly call the Tomei "rudimentary" in design. The exhaust is a great system. I just chose to stick with my XYZ out of the ability to retain the option of a straight pipe or resonator. The titanium also delivers a completely different exhaust note vs. a stainless system. (My buddy is running the full SOHO kit with test pipes. He's the one that won the best exhaust at ZDayz this year). The SOHO y-pipe design looks awesome, but that exhaust (matched with test pipes) is literally the loudest exhaust I've ever heard on a Z. Insane trying to ride down the interstate with it.

If your goal is sheer volume, then definitely go with the SOHO. The tomei matched with the XYZ w/resonator delivers practically zero rasp and the volume at interstate speed is definitely way more bearable than the SOHO.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:27 AM
Z1Motorsports
Banned

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I would hardly call the Tomei "rudimentary" in design. The exhaust is a great system. I just chose to stick with my XYZ out of the ability to retain the option of a straight pipe or resonator. The titanium also delivers a completely different exhaust note vs. a stainless system. (My buddy is running the full SOHO kit with test pipes. He's the one that won the best exhaust at ZDayz this year). The SOHO y-pipe design looks awesome, but that exhaust (matched with test pipes) is literally the loudest exhaust I've ever heard on a Z. Insane trying to ride down the interstate with it.

If your goal is sheer volume, then definitely go with the SOHO. The tomei matched with the XYZ w/resonator delivers practically zero rasp and the volume at interstate speed is definitely way more bearable than the SOHO.
I agree with Renfro on this. Tomei has a lot of R&D in this system to produce the most flow as possible however the tone is a little deeper than the SOHO/Momentum. I would suggest trying to hear the systems in person as video does no justice. Just remember the Tomei exhaust is made to produce power while minimizing as much weight as possible.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:26 AM
RENFRO

Originally Posted by Z1Motorsports
I agree with Renfro on this. Tomei has a lot of R&D in this system to produce the most flow as possible however the tone is a little deeper than the SOHO/Momentum. I would suggest trying to hear the systems in person as video does no justice. Just remember the Tomei exhaust is made to produce power while minimizing as much weight as possible.
Definitely agree with trying to hear them in person. Videos are great, but there's lots of things you just can't tell based on a video.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:35 AM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I wouldnt put momentum or esp soho in same conversation as tomei.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:42 AM
RENFRO

Originally Posted by 2004Black350z
I wouldnt put momentum or esp soho in same conversation as tomei.
Valid point. Only thing I regret is not running the Tomei sooner. Jon at Z1 successfully harrassed me enough that I made the switch. So happy I did, too.

I installed it and was like...

Quick Reply: Tomei Expreme Ti full catback vs using Motordyne XYZ