Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Tomei Expreme Ti full catback vs using Motordyne XYZ

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 08:50 AM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Why not search for PPE and the differences in shorties.....?
Old 10-01-2013, 11:52 AM
RENFRO

Received 105 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn350zHR
i think he is looking for the comparison with stock headers. Oh by the way those momentum headers i assume are similar to the z1 design? What are your thoughts on PPE long tubes versus a short runner setup?
Ah, good point I didn't think about that. Z1 actually got the old momentum headers jig. They're pretty much identical with different branding (don't quote me on that). Fitment and overall runner length should be the same.

Eh, I'd say on a DE and with my setup I wouldn't notice too much of a difference. Now, maybe paired with a boosted setup and/or cams I would see a different result with long tubes.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:04 AM
Glenn350zHR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RENFRO
Ah, good point I didn't think about that. Z1 actually got the old momentum headers jig. They're pretty much identical with different branding (don't quote me on that). Fitment and overall runner length should be the same.

Eh, I'd say on a DE and with my setup I wouldn't notice too much of a difference. Now, maybe paired with a boosted setup and/or cams I would see a different result with long tubes.
a lot of the threads on PPE have mixed feelings and then the argument stepped vs unstepped. and not to knock on any of the vendors but they always say they have the next best thing for our cars without solid proof. I did read the z1 headers worked well on the 370z. I wonder if that would also hold true for my HR. Im probably going to hold off on headers I think till spring and work on other upgrades while I do some more research. How much did it cost you to get the thermal coating done on your headers if you don't mind me asking?
Old 10-02-2013, 01:03 PM
RENFRO

Received 105 Likes on 72 Posts

Yeah, it seems to be the trend that guys are claiming things without much solid proof to back it up. I've done all my own independent dyno testing.

I think it was around $200 when all was said and done for the ceramic coating from NitroPlate. Coating was done on the inside and the outside. Holds a beautiful shine and those guys are top notch to work with. Fast turn around and high quality.

If you call, ask for Cody and use me as a reference.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:33 AM
Glenn350zHR

Ok so I swapped out the HFCs for the test pipes and put in the MotorDyne Ypipe with Resonator. First impressions the design of the Motordyne pipe looks like it just plain flows better. Ill let the pics speak for itself.

Now for the sound you really are going to want to keep the HFCs in with this setup if you daily drive it. Test pipes add some volume. The note of the exhaust definitely changed with the resonated section in the Ypipe. Its a bit deeper. Still too loud for my taste but again the test pipes are really causing the bulk of the volume increase. Definitely a lot less rasp tho from the ypipe switch. I may be throwing in the towel on the Tomei exhaust I regret and going with an Stune midpipe and muffler tho. We will see.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=10101502889394491" width="320" height="568" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Full Tomei and HFCs

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=10101502880477361" width="320" height="568" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Test pipes, XYZ res, Tomei midpipe back

Last edited by Glenn350zHR; 10-03-2013 at 04:37 AM.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:46 AM
mcarther101

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=10101502889394491" width="320" height="568" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Full Tomei and HFCs

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=10101502880477361" width="320" height="568" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Test pipes, XYZ res, Tomei midpipe back
Youtube much? None of us can see this.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:49 AM
Glenn350zHR

Originally Posted by mcarther101
Youtube much? None of us can see this.
ill have to create a video on youtube when im home
Old 10-03-2013, 09:57 AM
mcarther101

ill have to create a video on youtube when im home
...now back to my shadow in the corner watching.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:21 PM
JKoobir

currently have tomei catback only. had it for 3-4 months. im more than happy with it. very unique tone. ordered the tomei y pipe should be here this week. will share thoughts as soon as its on
Old 10-26-2013, 03:42 PM
JKoobir

installed tome yesterday fitment was spot on. so far i can't say one bad thing about it. i can definitely feel difference and no exaggeration
Old 10-26-2013, 04:39 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

we can't get enough sound clips...post them up
Old 10-27-2013, 12:16 AM
mcarther101

The more I think about long tube headers, and talk with other people about it... the more I think PPE LTH are a waste of money. Think about it this way:

If you're spending over a thousand dollars for long tube headers, you're dedicated with deep pockets. If you don't put cams in the car, you're wasting your money. And THEN, if you put cams in the car with some off the shelf generic LTH design, it's not going to be engineered for your specific cams with all of their unique valve opening, closing, overlapping ****. It wont match, wont be optimal, and wont necessarily make power. Just like everyone already knows, from the intake to the exhaust everything works together, and has to be perfectly matched for OPTIMUM performance.

I think, if you're doing LTH, you need to get a mad scientist to design it around your specific engine.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:49 PM
JKoobir

Originally Posted by KingBaby
we can't get enough sound clips...post them up
will do as soon as i get a free day...school is killing me right now
Old 10-27-2013, 10:15 PM
sidewaysil80

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I caved in and bought the full tomei system and some resonated tp's. I am about to drop the subframe for a bushing overhaul so it'll be awhile before I post a sound clip. In the end I opted for the tomei as the only difference in the soho system was the tapered section in the ypipe. Both setups cost the same amount so I opted for the tomei (titanium) over the soho setup which is generic piping and vibrant can (couldnt justify the price).

Thanks for all the opinions and feedback in this thread! I'll post a video down the road when its all back together.

Last edited by sidewaysil80; 10-27-2013 at 10:17 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:00 PM
Rubidium

My Motordyne XYZ with resonator and Tomei will be here tomorrow
Old 11-01-2013, 07:19 PM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The more I think about long tube headers, and talk with other people about it... the more I think PPE LTH are a waste of money. Think about it this way:

If you're spending over a thousand dollars for long tube headers, you're dedicated with deep pockets. If you don't put cams in the car, you're wasting your money. And THEN, if you put cams in the car with some off the shelf generic LTH design, it's not going to be engineered for your specific cams with all of their unique valve opening, closing, overlapping ****. It wont match, wont be optimal, and wont necessarily make power. Just like everyone already knows, from the intake to the exhaust everything works together, and has to be perfectly matched for OPTIMUM performance.

I think, if you're doing LTH, you need to get a mad scientist to design it around your specific engine.
I dont see the point of paying XXX dollars for just ART pipes. Considering most of the guys (the vocal ones anyway) picked up the PPE headers for under a grand, myself included, It actually is not that much more expensive.

Also the stock headers are FAR from optimal. Simply put, I do not see the point of what you're trying to convey. Sure it may not be at its peak efficiency, but I can surely argue its closer than when I started. Find me evidence of the Ultimate design and I can guarantee I will be able to bury you in mountains of theory, estimations, and CFD data that would say otherwise.

Note I do not disagree that everything must "Work Together" but I def. do not comprehend your logic behind why you deem it a "waste". Technically speaking having a car more than a golf cart is a waste.

Back on topic- I notice when i switched from HFC to PPE, on my JIC Ti, I didnt notice any difference in overall volume. Tone changed at certain RPMS though.

Edit- I personally love Ti exhausts, I'd hang that y-pipe on the wall if I were you. Also is that a bung at the end of the Tomei y-pipe? Also, Cool build btw mcarther

Last edited by Vq.turbo.DremZ; 11-01-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:52 PM
mcarther101

Originally Posted by Vq.turbo.DremZ
I dont see the point of paying XXX dollars for just ART pipes. Considering most of the guys (the vocal ones anyway) picked up the PPE headers for under a grand, myself included, It actually is not that much more expensive.

Also the stock headers are FAR from optimal. Simply put, I do not see the point of what you're trying to convey. Sure it may not be at its peak efficiency, but I can surely argue its closer than when I started. Find me evidence of the Ultimate design and I can guarantee I will be able to bury you in mountains of theory, estimations, and CFD data that would say otherwise.

Note I do not disagree that everything must "Work Together" but I def. do not comprehend your logic behind why you deem it a "waste". Technically speaking having a car more than a golf cart is a waste.

Back on topic- I notice when i switched from HFC to PPE, on my JIC Ti, I didnt notice any difference in overall volume. Tone changed at certain RPMS though.

Edit- I personally love Ti exhausts, I'd hang that y-pipe on the wall if I were you. Also is that a bung at the end of the Tomei y-pipe? Also, Cool build btw mcarther
Thanks, ya I guess after hearing from 1cockyz how he lost power going from DC headers + TPs to PPE LTH I just don't see the advantage in that particular design vs shorties + TPs. I think if I were to go LTH, it would have to be a 1 off design for my engine otherwise I'd always wonder if it was really worth it in the back of my mind.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:27 PM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks, ya I guess after hearing from 1cockyz how he lost power going from DC headers + TPs to PPE LTH I just don't see the advantage in that particular design vs shorties + TPs. I think if I were to go LTH, it would have to be a 1 off design for my engine otherwise I'd always wonder if it was really worth it in the back of my mind.
Noted. Either way, just throw some laughing gas at the motor.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:11 AM
Rubidium

So I installed the Motordyne XYZ with Resonator, Tomei Expreme exhaust. I already have stock headers and ART pipes. Now I previously had a Motordyne TDX v2, which I still love, the tomei does drone a small bit; BUT! the tone is amazing! The extra volume is well worth it. I love the sound this produces.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:26 AM
Glenn350zHR

Just an FYI i caved in and swapped in a Stune midpipe and muffler and took out my brand new Tomei exhaust. I have the ypipe back for sale in the private classifieds at a great price

Quick Reply: Tomei Expreme Ti full catback vs using Motordyne XYZ