Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Help diagnosing my z please ! :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 05:17 PM
01typeR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help diagnosing my z please ! :)

Hello fellow z owners, I'm trying to diagnose what's wrong with my z. I can provide pics and videos if needed.

So one night I was driving and I scrapped really bad underneath (cars lowered and there was construction area). I saw no changes, took a quick look and nothing seemed wrong (I was wrong lol) my cel was on already bc of big exhaust leak, so that morning I went to cars and coffee and while waiting to meet up with friends, my car started smoking out of nowhere, literally I was parked and started smoking for the exhaust. I checked underneath the car and my o2 sensor wires were tore off, and heard a clunk sound. I immediately took it to a shop, cin motor sports and turns out one of my hfc cats was broken inside and my y pipe was destroyed, my o2 sensor ripped out of the plug. So I had them put back everything factory and my car still smoked, but a little less but no o2 sensor.. I had then do a leak down test and everything checked ok. I parked the car for 2 months until I saved money( rough times) just bought my o2 sensors now there's no cel. Car drives fine doesn't overheat, smokes white (from what I see) . Just hit 102k miles it's a. 2004 z enthusiast, been babied it's whole life. Smokes mainly at idle when I give gas. When I drive it it goes away. I've looked countless hours on the forums but no luck. Another thing I noticed is my oil gauge doesn't go past 60 psi, any help please!!! I miss my baby
Old 07-16-2014, 05:23 PM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,354 Posts

So you've got a new or different exhaust now. I wouldn't worry about your car. From what you posted, nothing seems wrong.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:24 PM
01typeR

Really? What about the smoke, I'm about to do an oil change to see if any oil consumption , I'm just afraid to drive it like that. It doesn't seem normal. It's my factory y pipe and cats, they have been sitting in m garage for atleast 5-7 years. Could that cause the smoke, I was reading about bad PVC or fuel injector but not sure anymore.

Last edited by 01typeR; 07-16-2014 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:28 PM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

You probably have or had a mouse or other crap inside your factory pipes and cats. Keep driving the car.

Also, you should try a OBD scan at your local auto parts store. See if your car throws any codes.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:34 PM
01typeR

Haven't thought of that but thanks smooth z, I was just thinking bc it was smoking before I put the factory on again. I'll drive it for a few days and update the thread. Out of many similar problems they never updated to see how it was fixed lol...
Old 07-16-2014, 06:00 PM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Yeah, change the oil and keep driving it for a while.

Make sure you do the oil change correctly. Take your time if you're doing it yourself and are not used to it.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:15 PM
jtbinvalrico

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ask Santa to bring you a nice scanner. I use an Autel 619. Doesn't cost too much ($150ish). It will give you valuable insight. It will point you toward things you can handle yourself, and it will indicate things that may exceed your given skill set. Even if your car is going to the shop, it can help keep you in the know, and the shop honest.

I recommend this unit every few months for no reason other than the fact that it has saved me a ton of money on everything from emissions to troublesome airbag issues. It can often be as easy as read code, google code, replace part, clear codes. It's a requirement if you are at all interested in being involved in the maintenance and repair of your car. As a bonus, these units will work on your other cars too.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:09 AM
cyc5181

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jtbinvalrico
Ask Santa to bring you a nice scanner. I use an Autel 619. Doesn't cost too much ($150ish). It will give you valuable insight. It will point you toward things you can handle yourself, and it will indicate things that may exceed your given skill set. Even if your car is going to the shop, it can help keep you in the know, and the shop honest.

I recommend this unit every few months for no reason other than the fact that it has saved me a ton of money on everything from emissions to troublesome airbag issues. It can often be as easy as read code, google code, replace part, clear codes. It's a requirement if you are at all interested in being involved in the maintenance and repair of your car. As a bonus, these units will work on your other cars too.
I just recently bought a cheapo eBay OBDII scanner that connects to your phone using the Torque app for $10. It reads and clears codes. It also reads what the ECU reads and display it in the app (temps, rpm,timing, etc etc)....

What do these more expensive scanners do that these little $10 devices don't? Not being sarcastic, just want to get more info. Thanks.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:23 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 456 Likes on 370 Posts

Condensation in the exhaust?
When I had my limo sitting for three years it had enough water in the exhaust to smoke for about 10 hours before it all evaporated.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:06 PM
jtbinvalrico

Originally Posted by cyc5181
I just recently bought a cheapo eBay OBDII scanner that connects to your phone using the Torque app for $10. It reads and clears codes. It also reads what the ECU reads and display it in the app (temps, rpm,timing, etc etc)....

What do these more expensive scanners do that these little $10 devices don't? Not being sarcastic, just want to get more info. Thanks.
If an iphone app and an obd plug get the same results, I'd say rock on. I don't use mine to the extent that I'm qualified to compare the capabilities of such devices. If you're reading and clearing your own codes, that's a win.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:13 AM
gabez33

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
Condensation in the exhaust?
When I had my limo sitting for three years it had enough water in the exhaust to smoke for about 10 hours before it all evaporated.
This

With a leak down and new o2s I'd say this is good reasoning.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:31 AM
01typeR

Hey this is an update, the z doesn't smoke nearly as much, after some driving. But it does still smoke when doing some spirit driving, mostly 1st and 2nd, after that it's too hard to tell even with the gopro camera. My cats and midpipe have been sitting in my garage for atleast 5 years. But the good news is car passed inspection .

This is my baby by the way if you guys were curious
Attached Thumbnails Help diagnosing my z please ! :)-image.jpg  
Old 07-29-2014, 11:39 AM
01typeR

Actually I was just reading about other symptoms, read a lot about Pvc valves , then I tried moving the hose by hand a little and the smoking changed? Do our z have a common fault PVC? Or would it be something to look into?