Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Kinetix Racing Plenum Dyno's!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 10:38 PM
little_rod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Real refreshing. Saw the long trend, and not a negative post on dynos yet, lol. I was expecting to read alot of them in this long of trend. Wish the same standard was held in all of our trends, at least giving respect to the people responsible for the results. Interesting that all associated with Crawford was said to have tainted results, yet any associated to kinetix doesn't have the same problem.

Oh well, I have no connection to either, and like them both. Can't we just all get along??
Old 02-11-2004, 05:08 AM
myG35zx

The G has the rear support. The front may actually lead to more oversteer - I thought. But I'm no engineer and have no idea. LOL

But I want the plenum. If a STB is availble, I may buy, I may not. But regardless of the infamous dip in the plenum. To me it adds character! :P

All-Bark
WooHoo!

Now I will wait for my valve cover gasket (mine is leaking, a lot) and my new plenum.

Old 02-11-2004, 06:02 AM
Ak1nza

Originally posted by lsdunique
We had put a lot of thought into a version without a dip, especially for the G35 owners.

I think though we are going to seriosly explore the option of a G35 strut bar first, that will work with our plenum.

Would there be interest in a G35 strut bar? and a G35 strut bar/plenum package?
In that case, how about an FX strut bar so we can keep the dip!

Honestly though, G drivers won't really see much improvement with a strut bar because the front end is quite stiff as it is. I have driven it before. I doubt it would be economically feasible to even consider designing one for the FX (although it would be nice).

Wouldn't it be much easier just to manufacture a plenum without the dip though? Not only easier but cheaper than the cost of designing a proper strut bar to fit into the G? Plus you won't have to go through the problems of moving the HID ballasts and such on the G.

Just my .02 again. Since a G strut bar/plenum package doesn't apply to me I would prefer to have a plenum without the dip.

Last edited by Ak1nza; 02-11-2004 at 06:09 AM.
Old 02-11-2004, 06:20 AM
wren57
Banned

The whole point of having the dip is so Z owners can keep their stock strut bar (a huge issue with many, including me). Don't like the dip? Well, there is a solution for that too. It is called Crawford.
Old 02-11-2004, 06:41 AM
Wedge

Maybe in the future, for the G owners, there can be some sort of piece developed that simply fills in the dip. The plenum would stay the same, but this hollow piece which would conform to the dip underneath and smooth out the appearance on top and would simply attach in the plenums groove (dip)..........just thinking out loud.
Old 02-11-2004, 06:46 AM
manrey

Originally posted by PoWeRtRiP
man your running pretty lean there might wanna be careful until you get that fixed, a point to be made is that the reason why these plenums produce such good gains up top is because of how much they lean out the cars a/f. leaning out the fuel makes more power, if its possible all-bark might we arrange a post ts reflash dyno session to see what it makes after you get the a/f right? plus the tuning may make even better gains. im sure we could find some members to throw down $$ to help out, i would for sure.
This always comes up, the fuel mappings should maintain the a/f ration in the car, this is the job of the ecu.
No matter how lean you think it is, its maintained at a level just under pre-ignition. if it detects knock, it will retard the ignition timing thus reducing the chance of detonation. As long as you dont hear it knocking, i think your ok.

at least this is my understanding of general ecu's in cars.
Old 02-11-2004, 07:13 AM
FLY BY Z

There is a point where the ECU cannot adjust anymore as the incoming air is more than the range the ECU can recognize. There is also an ideal AF ratio for NA right around 13.5 or so, IMO. Just because you aren't knocking doesn't mean your AF is ok. The knock sensor can pull timing but that will also hurt performance. It is better to have everything right.
Old 02-11-2004, 07:31 AM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Ak1nza
In that case, how about an FX strut bar so we can keep the dip!

Honestly though, G drivers won't really see much improvement with a strut bar because the front end is quite stiff as it is. I have driven it before. I doubt it would be economically feasible to even consider designing one for the FX (although it would be nice).

Wouldn't it be much easier just to manufacture a plenum without the dip though? Not only easier but cheaper than the cost of designing a proper strut bar to fit into the G? Plus you won't have to go through the problems of moving the HID ballasts and such on the G.

Just my .02 again. Since a G strut bar/plenum package doesn't apply to me I would prefer to have a plenum without the dip.

Stillen is coming out with a strut bar for the FX soon, but it wouldn't need to utilize the dip in the plenum. We have a lot more clearance above the plenum in the FX, as the engine sits lower in the bay; The Stillen blower will even fit with no hood mods (also coming soon for the FX).

Maybe in the future, for the G owners, there can be some sort of piece developed that simply fills in the dip. The plenum would stay the same, but this hollow piece which would conform to the dip underneath and smooth out the appearance on top and would simply attach in the plenums groove (dip)..........just thinking out loud.

Pardon me for saying, but that's just silly. The whole point of anyone wanting a dippless plenum is that it might give even better performance without it (which isn't even known). Wanting a dippless plenum for aesthetic reasons is pointles, since in the G or FX, you'd never see it under the engine cover. The only problem is that the plenum doesn't incorporate the rear mounting holes for the G/FX engine cover, but it shouldnlt be too difficult to fab something.

Honestly, I don't see any reason for a G or FX owner to buy the Kinetix over the Crawford other than personal preference unless it costs a fair amount less or is proved to have better gains (I think all the proposed comparos should settle that if anybody gets around to doing it). I don't see the big deal in keeping the factory plenum at all; you're not likely to ever want it again.

Last edited by MustGoFastR; 02-11-2004 at 07:33 AM.
Old 02-11-2004, 08:25 AM
KJY9

Originally posted by 350zdanny
all_bark -

I don't know if you got my last PM, but if you don't mind, could you send me the two files from the post-cat baseline, and the post-plenum final run?

Dan
Did you get the files emailed to you?
I didn't and am wondering why, as they're small files and not tough to email.
Old 02-11-2004, 08:35 AM
al503

Originally posted by MustGoFastR
Honestly, I don't see any reason for a G or FX owner to buy the Kinetix over the Crawford other than personal preference unless it costs a fair amount less or is proved to have better gains (I think all the proposed comparos should settle that if anybody gets around to doing it). I don't see the big deal in keeping the factory plenum at all; you're not likely to ever want it again. [/B]
I have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. Although I'm sure that there will be other plenum offerings in the next few years, I could see getting the Kinetix, using it for a couple, three years, then selling it used to recoup some of the costs. It's not considered a wear item so if you could conservatively get 1/2 of what you paid for it, you're getting some serious bang for your buck.

You can't do that with the crawford unless you keep the stock plenum (+$200) or have a potential buyer send you his stock plenum to trade for yours.
Old 02-11-2004, 08:36 AM
350zdanny

Originally posted by KJY9
Did you get the files emailed to you?
I didn't and am wondering why, as they're small files and not tough to email.
Nah I contacted him a few times and asked in a few threads. I'm sure he's just busy with questions and plenum stuff. Yea dynojet run files are only 5 or 10kb.

dan
Old 02-11-2004, 01:26 PM
KJY9

Originally posted by 350zdanny
Nah I contacted him a few times and asked in a few threads. I'm sure he's just busy with questions and plenum stuff. Yea dynojet run files are only 5 or 10kb.

dan
Hmm either that or he doesn't want anyone else seeing them for whatever reason ??
Old 02-11-2004, 01:41 PM
syf0n

Who gives a ****? Seriously guys, it's just some dyno files. Give it a friggin' rest.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:57 PM
350zdanny

Originally posted by syf0n
Who gives a ****? Seriously guys, it's just some dyno files. Give it a friggin' rest.
I was just answering the dude's question. And if you read, if can read, you'll see I gave him the benefit of the doubt. What's your ****ing problem?
Old 02-11-2004, 02:45 PM
KJY9

Originally posted by syf0n
I'd like to do a compare with my files smartazz! WTF are you?!?
Old 02-11-2004, 03:11 PM
D_Nyholm

wow, a bit testy in this thread!!! Drop the testosterone down a notch!!!
Old 02-11-2004, 03:15 PM
rouxeny

Relax with the 'tude please.
Old 02-11-2004, 04:16 PM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

give him some time, he is probably occupied by his gf right now
Old 02-11-2004, 04:20 PM
350zdanny

I don't want you guys to get the wrong idea and I hope you're not jumping on me. I'm not in any hurry to get them. He was just oblivious to my question when he responded to me earlier. I just wanted to make sure he knew I wanted them. I'm not looking to validate or refute what he said. I was gonna put them in my own archive and compare them to the ones I did for my own edification.

That's it. So all of you please calm down and don't blow this out of proportion. It is not an issue.

Dan
Old 02-11-2004, 05:20 PM
Ultimateone

Its not an issue but everyone just loves to jump down everyone's throat at any chance and makes many of you seem immature....
Competition is great and makes things exciting but hou.ding people for this and that gets old real fast.

I just want the damn plenum anyways

Quick Reply: Kinetix Racing Plenum Dyno's!!!!!!!!!!!!!