Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

3", 3.5", & 4" intakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 08:25 AM
Moncef

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bealljk
but you're ultimately changing the dynamic of your intake. Increasing the diameter of your intake duct will decrease the velocity of your intake charge. A slower intake charge will decrease your VE and decrease engine output.
So, so wrong.

You can clearly see that VE is higher on the dyno and by logging the car's fuel demands (injector duty cycle) with a properly designed large intake tube.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:04 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by Moncef
You can clearly see that VE is higher on the dyno and by logging the car's fuel demands (injector duty cycle) with a properly designed large intake tube.
I would agree with you that a higher fuel demand is a good indicator that your VE is higher...

but dont misquote me...

A slower intake charge will decrease your VE and decrease engine output.
and when you increase the diameter of a intake the velocity of said air flow is decreased - that's math...

and of course!!!! when it's 'properly designed' its going to increase the VE of an engine. And I'd include a re-tune under the umbrella of 'properly designed'...and vice-versa, when something is 'improperly designed' its going to decrease VE...

how many intakes made for the VQ have been properly designed? and how many purchasers of intake also get a tune?

furthermore...when nissan designs a full intake track and you change one section of said track you are un-engineering their design - right, wrong, in'differnet...

Last edited by bealljk; 01-09-2017 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:07 AM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts

^Imho, I think it makes sense in a car in stock form, you can't put those admin intakes on a stock car if the rest of the parts won't compensate or work with that part. A properly setup VQ with parts that compliment one another and a higher rev limit than normal will see gains where the stock diameter intake would fail. VE may be inefficient in the lower rpm ranges with a bigger diameter pipe but would shine at higher rpms especially for heavily cammed DE or HR/VHR motors that can be revved higher to 8k. It's a part for a specific purpose, not for the everyday basic parts person. Im sure it's the same concept for exhaust pipe diameters. Correct me if I'm wrong or not making sense.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:43 AM
dnash

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Any stock DE should see good gains as well (definitely more than an intake with the factory sized maf housing ). The maf housing and the plenum neck at the throttle body are known restrictions on these motors and IMO, this is one of the main reasons why the power curve noses over in the upper rpms. Anything you can do to increase flow through these areas is only going to make power.

Last edited by dnash; 01-10-2017 at 07:44 AM.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:15 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by BluestreamDE
^Imho, I think it makes sense in a car in stock form, you can't put those admin intakes on a stock car if the rest of the parts won't compensate or work with that part. A properly setup VQ with parts that compliment one another and a higher rev limit than normal will see gains where the stock diameter intake would fail. VE may be inefficient in the lower rpm ranges with a bigger diameter pipe but would shine at higher rpms especially for heavily cammed DE or HR/VHR motors that can be revved higher to 8k. It's a part for a specific purpose, not for the everyday basic parts person. Im sure it's the same concept for exhaust pipe diameters. Correct me if I'm wrong or not making sense.
^all very good points...

Originally Posted by dnash
Any stock DE should see good gains as well (definitely more than an intake with the factory sized maf housing ). The maf housing and the plenum neck at the throttle body are known restrictions on these motors and IMO, this is one of the main reasons why the power curve noses over in the upper rpms. Anything you can do to increase flow through these areas is only going to make power.
key word is 'should' on paper yes, in a vacuum, yes...but out in reality why does damn near every intake not produce repeatable and consistent power gains (no body answer this ... not enough time in the day)
Old 01-11-2017, 05:38 AM
Moncef

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would agree with you that a higher fuel demand is a good indicator that your VE is higher...

but dont misquote me...

and when you increase the diameter of a intake the velocity of said air flow is decreased - that's math...

and of course!!!! when it's 'properly designed' its going to increase the VE of an engine. And I'd include a re-tune under the umbrella of 'properly designed'...and vice-versa, when something is 'improperly designed' its going to decrease VE...

how many intakes made for the VQ have been properly designed? and how many purchasers of intake also get a tune?

furthermore...when nissan designs a full intake track and you change one section of said track you are un-engineering their design - right, wrong, in'differnet...
Sounds like a lot of speculation and conceptual information being thrown around in this comment with no real data.

I have already commented results from our testing for an intake swap earlier in this thread.

Originally Posted by BluestreamDE
This is true. We always test intake swaps on cars with test pipes and cat-backs as a MINIMUM since it makes no sense to let more air in and push the exhaust gases out in a single file line.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:03 AM
nova15566

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not trying to nut on this nor you as a fabricator nor you as a tuner ... your stuff looks good ...

but you're ultimately changing the dynamic of your intake. Increasing the diameter of your intake duct will decrease the velocity of your intake charge. A slower intake charge will decrease your VE and decrease engine output.

I'm sure nissan has thousands upon thousands of man-hours developing the most efficient intake track (from filter to valves) and when you modify a single part with no regard to the others you're only introducing inefficiencies.

Yes, a tune will help but it's been well documented that intakes don't do much. If you want more power (more than 15whp) you gotta go FI, ultimately increasing the engines VE.
there's a ton of data proving that larger bore intakes work.
1. It's more stable voltage past the maf. Which makes for more stable tuning afr wise.
2. Venturi effect... it speeds up as it tapers down thru the throttle.
3. When properly tuned and installed everyone that has installed these has noted faster 1/8th and 1/4 as well as mph.
we have guys that competitively race autox and grudge race running these... they work.

if you're to look at the top fastest na and nitrous list... people were running 3.5 to 4in intakes.

nisformance.Com formerly voltagedrop.net spent years testing different sizes and found the 4in to be superior...

what's silly is putting a larger throttle on a car with a stock size maf.

what we have seen with our intake is significant low end gains as well as mid range thru peak.

Both make significant gains... Moncef at administration and I don't always see eye to eye... but... that said we both understand what these do. They work... and they're the 2 best options on the market... his has some areas of power over ours and ours areas over his. Ours as noted by a tuner who has done his many times is powerful from about 2500 up... from what I've seen his performs up top... not that they both don't perform all over.
now, tuner depending. A tuner who doesn't know how to tune these will not make appropriate gains.

you should see anywhere from 5 to 30whp on these intakes and tq... and see a significant change in 1/4 et.

Last edited by nova15566; 01-11-2017 at 09:09 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by nova15566:
Desert Z (08-27-2017), seymore4 (01-12-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 05:14 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

I'm not doubting that they work ...

Originally Posted by nova15566
it speeds up as it tapers down thru the throttle
what happens if it didnt taper down...but rather tapered up? intake slow down? decreased VE?

what's silly is putting a larger throttle on a car with a stock size maf.
on this same idea...wouldnt be silly to put a 4" intake on to a OEM TB? and furthermore expect gains? (This is my entire point!)

what we have seen with our intake is significant low end gains as well as mid range thru peak.
with a tune??

now, tuner depending. A tuner who doesn't know how to tune these will not make appropriate gains.

you should see anywhere from 5 to 30whp on these intakes and tq... and see a significant change in 1/4 et.
so does a accurate tune mean designed properly?

5 to 30 whp gains when properly designed and retuned...but you slap a 4" intake on a otherwise OEM setup and lose power...sounds like the cold air intake market of the 350z...
Old 01-11-2017, 08:34 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

so does a accurate tune mean designed properly?

5 to 30 whp gains when properly designed and retuned...but you slap a 4" intake on a otherwise OEM setup and lose power...sounds like the cold air intake market of the 350z...
No way to tell, it will not run without a tune.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:03 AM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts

I think for the DE, having the combination of the Admin Intake, Kinetix Velocity Manifold, NWP throttle body, PPE longtubes and a good cat back exhaust with a higher rev limit with a tune would be a killer setup. Would definitely improve midrange and shift the power band to the right for more topend power, with or without cams, NA wise.

Last edited by BluestreamDE; 01-12-2017 at 06:04 AM.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:02 PM
jellofuel

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Just curious, has anyone here heard of anyone modifying the stock air box to clear the Admin Tuning intake? I'm researching going this route on my cammed DE.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:52 AM
RENFRO

Received 105 Likes on 72 Posts

Just ordered my Admin 3.5in intake for my 03 DE. Will be taking my car down to Z1 for a re-tune in early December.

Car most recently made 293whp in April of this last year running a 3in intake and 3in MAF tube.

Tomei 272 cams, tomei springs, Nismo Oil pump, 25 row oil cooler, kinetix velocity, NWP throttle body, momentum headers, test pipes, Motordyne TDX2, GT-R injectors, walbro 255, and a few other supporting mods.

I'll report back with what happens. I anticipate the cooler air in December will play a role, but hoping this swap will put me up over 300whp.

If it does, I'll let the results speak for themselves.

Last edited by RENFRO; 11-07-2017 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:29 AM
Conway_160

Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by RENFRO
Just ordered my Admin 3.5in intake for my 03 DE. Will be taking my car down to Z1 for a re-tune in early December.

Car most recently made 293whp in April of this last year running a 3in intake and 3in MAF tube.

Tomei 272 cams, tomei springs, Nismo Oil pump, 25 row oil cooler, kinetix velocity, NWP throttle body, momentum headers, test pipes, Motordyne TDX2, GT-R injectors, walbro 255, and a few other supporting mods.

I'll report back with what happens. I anticipate the cooler air in December will play a role, but hoping this swap will put me up over 300whp.

If it does, I'll let the results speak for themselves.
Was it a custom 3" intake or did you have a name brand?
Old 11-08-2017, 05:21 AM
jellofuel

Originally Posted by Conway_160
I remember seeing the dyno vid on youtube. I think it's the Z1 m-spec, but can't remember if it's the street or race version .

Either way, RZG's n/a build is similar to Renfro's. RZG made 299whp with a velocity stack on a custom 3.5" intake, so without a stack, I think an admin tuning would top out around 295 on Renfro's build.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:29 AM
RENFRO

Originally Posted by Conway_160
The 3in. was the M-Spec Race version from Z1.

I hope to pick up a little more than the 295whp, but either way I won't be upset. It makes great power as a DE and is a ton of fun.

Next will certainly be a 3.9 gear and 1.5 way diff.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:28 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

I hope to pick up a little more than the 295whp
I hope you make more than 295 too but awfully lofty goals! To be fair to you, you have some nice goodies on the car. Regardless, keep us posted your progress.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:04 AM
RENFRO

I hope you make more than 295 too but awfully lofty goals! To be fair to you, you have some nice goodies on the car. Regardless, keep us posted your progress.
haha, yeah, but considering it already made 293, I don't think 295+ is too awfully lofty! Hell, I might pick that up just with it being colder outside, lol.

Either way, I'll let you guys know.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:06 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

haha, yeah, but considering it already made 293, I don't think 295+ is too awfully lofty! Hell, I might pick that up just with it being colder outside, lol.

I see what you're saying ... I sound stupid with that last post!

What came to mind(initially) is when you get a nuwb who picks up a CAI & some exhaust mods and they add the manufactures 'guess' as to what the mods will add to the cars BHP ... intake, test pipes & muffler adds 38hp ... my de makes 278 from the factory...278 + 38 = 316whp!! I expect* to make 316whp!!!

*fixed! lol

Last edited by bealljk; 11-08-2017 at 02:33 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:04 PM
doshoru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"except" is right ;-)
Old 11-08-2017, 01:38 PM
jellofuel

When's your scheduled dyno? I might just meet you there lol.

This would be the first I've heard of the admin intake being tested against the Z1 m-spec race intake, so I'm definitely interested in the results. Are you getting the admin short or long tube intake?